What else to do in Fort Lauderdale

robgvic

We will have a day in Fort Lauderdale In December and want to do something with the rent a car. We have been to the Everglades, and MIami. Any other suggestions for interesting trips. Hoqw long does it take to Kennedy Space Centre in Port Canaveral?

Thanks

Alittle bit of a drive - but worth it - Disney or Universal Studios in Orlando. Universal is about 30 minutes from the orlando airport.

Disney is 3 /12 hour drive from Fort Lauderdale and Universal is 3 hours so it's a long hike for a day trip!

For a relaxing excursion the intercoastal waterway is a fun boat ride. I haven't done it for years, but when I did I enjoyed it.:)

I did not see a post cruise tour on Princess' website with airport drop off for later flights. We have enjoyed these in the past as a nice way to spend some time without having to worry about luggage. Does Princess do this in Ft. Lauderdale?

This doesn't need a car but I second the intracoastal waterway recommendation. There are water taxis between the Hilton Marina (very close to the port) up the New River in Fort Lauderdale and up the intracoastal almost to Pompano Beach. Last year there was a a day trip down the intracoastal to South Beach and back (giving you about 3 hours in South Beach). We really enjoyed that.

We will have a day in Fort Lauderdale In December and want to do something with the rent a car. We have been to the Everglades, and MIami. Any other suggestions for interesting trips. Hoqw long does it take to Kennedy Space Centre in Port Canaveral?

Thanks

It will take you two hours one way to the Cape. The only fun thing I know of is Sawgrass Mills. I know......... shopping may not interest you, but one day is really not enough time to go anywhere other than the places you've already been. Want to visit me?

With just time to fill, we would second the hop-on hop-off water taxi with narration.

We had a great time a couple of years ago on a December cruise with a day to kill, we just caught the water taxi and enjoyed the ride seeing all the decorated mansions as we passed along the way.

We hopped off and had dinner at a restaurtant and then back on again to see the area all lighted up after dark. There are so many stops where you can get off and scout around and then re-board.

It may not be Disney World, but it was a nice time.

P&J

It will take you two hours one way to the Cape. The only fun thing I know of is Sawgrass Mills. I know......... shopping may not interest you, but one day is really not enough time to go anywhere other than the places you've already been. Want to visit me?

Since you will be there in December you might want to consider Sawgrass Outlet Mall. It is huge and you can finish your Christmas shopping there. There are lots of great eating places there and it's difficult to visit everything in just one day. They also have theaters and game places. If traffic is flowing that day it will take about 15 minutes to get there from the airport/port area.

Since you will be there in December you might want to consider Sawgrass Outlet Mall. It is huge and you can finish your Christmas shopping there. There are lots of great eating places there and it's difficult to visit everything in just one day. They also have theaters and game places. If traffic is flowing that day it will take about 15 minutes to get there from the airport/port area.

I concur a nice trip over to the mall, easy to get there and so much to do and there are some really outlet stores there

Pete

I concur a nice trip over to the mall, easy to get there and so much to do and there are some really outlet stores there

Pete

And this stated by someone named Pete? :eek: LOL. I guess there is another guy out there other than mine who likes to shop. :D

had a great couple of says there last year...intercoastal trip down to hollywood..beach and burgers at Le Tub......next day watertaxi to downtown the Science centre and Imax cinema....were stying at Hilton Marina - very convenient for the taxis!

We keep hoping that we'll be able to see a hockey game one of these years when we're in Fort Lauderdale. So far, the schedule hasn't worked out. We did get to see the Miami Heat vs. the Lakers the night before a Celebrity cruise that left from Miami.

one day is really not enough time to go anywhere other than the places you've already been. Want to visit me?

If it were me, I'd take Pia up on the offer to visit!! Just to hear some of her cruise tales in person!! :D

Pia, I sure hope you are planning to do another "live" from your cruise next month! I love "cruising" along with you, you do a great job taking us with you!

I think we will end up doing the water taxi again and maybe even take it to South Beach. It is a good trip

We were going to take the trip down to South Beach last in January but it was raining and didn't go. It is supposed to be a good trip and may try it this coming January.

Thanks

The space center is about 2 - 3 hrs north of Fort Lauderdale. If you want to see KSC why not fly from Orlando instead . It that one day is over and above the disembarkation or embarkation day?

If it were me, I'd take Pia up on the offer to visit!! Just to hear some of her cruise tales in person!! :D

Pia, I sure hope you are planning to do another "live" from your cruise next month! I love "cruising" along with you, you do a great job taking us with you!

For sure, Joanne. And thank you. Tune in October 15th Live from the Ocean.

We go to the Cape quite often, shuttle launches and such. Its over 200 miles each way for us from Ft. Lauderdale, may want to consider 3 hours each way, especially with traffic! :D

As for Sawgrass Mills, great outlet Mall with lots of eats and much to do!

http://www.simon.com/mall/?id=1262

Ken

There is also a "flea market" called Festival Mall. It has many upscale items and is so large that the aisle ways have street signs. You might also check tripadvisor dot com for things to do in Ft. Lauderdale. There are lots of good suggestions there with reviews.

There is also a "flea market" called Festival Mall. It has many upscale items and is so large that the aisle ways have street signs. You might also check tripadvisor dot com for things to do in Ft. Lauderdale. There are lots of good suggestions there with reviews.

For those you need additional info on Festival, it's located on Sample Road just at the Florida Turnpike exit. Indoors, air conditioned and lots of free parking. This place also has a food court. A lot smaller than Sawgrass, but enough for you to spend a few hours.

Archived