POLL: Which loyalty program would YOU prefer from Carnival??

DarthGrady

Which system do you prefer?  

474 members have voted

1. 1. Which system do you prefer?

• The current system: 1 point for each cruise taken
    • The proposed system: Points for each day cruised
    • I don't care either way: I'm just in it for the good times

Perhaps they will allow the top tier people to stay on the ship debarkation morning (in their cabin until 11:30), and enjoy lunch at the buffet/grill that day.... ah, not having to wake up EARLY on that last day would be bliss! :D

Now this would be a perk worth fighting about!

Actually the perks aren't that great that I would imagine anyone altering their cruise habits for, so put me in the "I don't care" category. However I don't see that anyone mentioned what should be done for solo cruisers. I used to have to pay 150% and now 200% to cruise, so some of my 3-day cruises were quite pricey. I now get "crew family" discount, another reason I'm not going to complain. My SS bill makes up the difference though :eek:

I currently have 21 cruises (only 76 days), another booked in 11 days. :D

I think I've posted this in EVERY thread on the subject...

I think the HAL system is very equitable.

Based on number of nights AND extra for suites AND for onboard spending.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/marinerSociety/Main.action

Hey, I'm platinum and have only 47 days. If Carnival decides I shouldn't be grandfathered in, I wouldn't really have a problem with. Seriously, why should someone who sails 9 three or four-night cruises get the same benefits as someone who sails 9 seven or eight-night cruises?

Why should my inside cabins count as much as a suite?

Anyway, I'm guessing that they WILL adopt something similar to HAL's system.

And I'm all for that. Whatever they decide to do, there will be plenty of complaining. Wonder how many more threads there will be? Will make the smoking policy and menu changes seem trivial! :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm guessing that they WILL adopt something similar to HAL's system.

And I'm all for that. Whatever they decide to do, there will be plenty of complaining. Wonder how many more threads there will be? Will make the smoking policy and menu changes seem trivial! :rolleyes:

:eek:

That might even dwarf the number of "OFFICIAL" Cruise threads! ;) :D

** I must say, that program looks rather impressive! **

i-Gs8JfWv-XL.jpg

---------

i-t6dBn4Z-XL.jpg

Tom

I prefer the current loyalty program. I see nothing wrong with how it currently is. Those of you complaining about it isn't fair to those who don't live near a port that has nothing to do with it. I live 5 minutes from the port of NOLA. It isn't the matter of the length of the cruise, it more depends on how long you can take off work to cruise. Not everyone has the luxury to only doing 7 day or longer cruises. It is much more hassel and stress to repeatly go out on cruises. Some people can only take off for 3 to 5 days for vacation like myself unless it is a holiday. I have been on 4,5,& 7 day cruises. I enjoy all of them. For those of you complaining about ppl living close to the port makes it easier for them to get so many cruises fast and cheaper. The cost of a 2 & 3 day cruise are sometimes just as expensive as a 4,5, & 7 day cruises so that has nothing to do with them getting a better price. Most of the time it is timing. If they do change this loyalty program, I will def. not stay with Carnival. We will have 2 CC, NCL, and RC in port from now on. I can't wait to explore the other cruiselines!!

... If they do change this loyalty program, I will def. not stay with Carnival. We will have 2 CC, NCL, and RC in port from now on. I can't wait to explore the other cruiselines!!

You shouldn't stick with them solely based on the program (as it now stands or what it might be) anyway. You owe it to yourself to test the waters elsewhere otherwise you'll never know what you (might) be missing. We have had a couple of VERY nice Celebrity cruises, and ours on the Epic (NCL) earlier this year knocked our socks off!!

Carnival offers a good value - but is lacking in some respects. I was once a CARNIVAL ONLY cruiser, as may be evident from our signature. I am happy to say that, for various reasons, we ventured forth to try other lines - and have been pleased with most of those experiences!

Tom

I prefer the current loyalty program. I see nothing wrong with how it currently is. Those of you complaining about it isn't fair to those who don't live near a port that has nothing to do with it. I live 5 minutes from the port of NOLA. It isn't the matter of the length of the cruise, it more depends on how long you can take off work to cruise. Not everyone has the luxury to only doing 7 day or longer cruises. It is much more hassel and stress to repeatly go out on cruises. Some people can only take off for 3 to 5 days for vacation like myself unless it is a holiday. I have been on 4,5,& 7 day cruises. I enjoy all of them. For those of you complaining about ppl living close to the port makes it easier for them to get so many cruises fast and cheaper. The cost of a 2 & 3 day cruise are sometimes just as expensive as a 4,5, & 7 day cruises so that has nothing to do with them getting a better price. Most of the time it is timing. If they do change this loyalty program, I will def. not stay with Carnival. We will have 2 CC, NCL, and RC in port from now on. I can't wait to explore the other cruiselines!!

They are changing it.

the per diem rates of some shorter cruises are so out of whack with 7 day cruises.

and some repositioning cruuise rates are insane. i think I just saw a price of $599 for a 16 day ta cruise.

regardless, until the actual perks change, the point is moot for me. quote]Can't beleive I am saying this but I actually agree with you on these points :eek: Days works as good as number of cruises (there are pluses and minuses to each side). Really depends on on what they change with the levels and how long to attain.

Uh, that 16 day cruise? What are the ports? Unless you work for the airline or are a good swimmer air fare will eat you up; that's why the cheap price.

I voted for a change to the number of cruise days proposal. We are from "the north" and not near any ports, unless you consider a 7 hour drive to Baltimore, the closest port for us "nearby".

Anyway, it costs us alot of money to fly or drive to a port, and therefore we are looking at doing longer cruises to compensate and get more bang for our buck. In fact, we are driving to our next cruise in Tampa after Thanksgiving for a 7 day on the Legend, and then we will be spending a week at WDW after to enjoy the Christmas celebrations there. There are also 4 of us, which adds to the cost of getting to a cruise port.

I think rewarding for the number of nights cruised is more equitable than the current system, perhaps with extra points for suites, etc. You are being rewarded for cruising with Carnival, so it stands to reason the more nights you cruise with them, the more loyal you are.

I would like to see a difference in the perks, to me early embarkation/debarkation (which I can almost do anyway if I so choose to arrive to the ship early and self-assist depart, or go to guest relations and request it) and canapes (when I can eat tons of food anytime on the ship) are not much of a perk. A perk to me would be a free drink (alcoholic or non), etc, something you would not normally be able to get. This is why I do not even look at the reward program when considering a cruise, the perks are not worth it to me personally. I look for value of the cruise and the ports. It will take more than the promise of some canapes and stationary (who writes anymore??) to get me on the ship. If you want to give them to me, fine, but that is not why I am cruising your line. :)

If they start adding dollars spent, what about someone who goes on a solo cruise and pays 200%. Would they get double credit for spending twice the amount?

I have cruise #6 and #7 this October. I hope I reach Platinum before they make any changes.

Stuff like that is why I don't think CCL will do a dollars spent type of system. Its a slippery slope to start down. I also don't at all care for the elitist overtones of such a program.

I have always said that it should remain a loyalty program and nothing more. They are simply giving you a reason to come back to CCL, and rewarding your booking with them. I prefer the ultra-simple current system, but it looks like industry trend is shifting to days cruised.

I like the days cruised as it puts everyone on a base equal. With that said though, I think that for the different category rooms you should receive an additional point value;

Inside - 1x

Ocean view - 1.5x

Balcony - 2x

Suite -2.5x

I also think you need to address the solo cruiser who has to pay double occupancy. Doubling their credits would be excessive, so maybe just crediting them for a total of their days plus 1/2. So a 7 day cruise would give the solo traveler a credit of 10.5 days, a 3 day would =4.5 days. Solo travelers would come back more frequently instead of their shopping around as much

I like the days cruised as it puts everyone on a base equal. With that said though, I think that for the different category rooms you should receive an additional point value;

Inside - 1x

Ocean view - 1.5x

Balcony - 2x

Suite -2.5x

I also think you need to address the solo cruiser who has to pay double occupancy. Doubling their credits would be excessive, so maybe just crediting them for a total of their days plus 1/2. So a 7 day cruise would give the solo traveler a credit of 10.5 days, a 3 day would =4.5 days. Solo travelers would come back more frequently instead of their shopping around as much

you pay double for an inside cabin as a solo, so it would be like sailing twice as long!:rolleyes:

For those of you complaining about ppl living close to the port makes it easier for them to get so many cruises fast and cheaper. The cost of a 2 & 3 day cruise are sometimes just as expensive as a 4,5, & 7 day cruises so that has nothing to do with them getting a better price. Most of the time it is timing. If they do change this loyalty program, I will def. not stay with Carnival. We will have 2 CC, NCL, and RC in port from now on. I can't wait to explore the other cruiselines!!

You are forgetting that the people who live far away are factoring in other costs such as airfare and a possible pre-cruise hotel night when they complain about people like yourself who are lucky to live in a port city. You have already done 4 CCL cruises in the Western Carib from your homeport...go, try NCL and RC, maybe you'll like them better, but either way, unless you're willing to fly somewhere in the future, you'll be stuck on older, smaller ships because none of the cruise lines will put a brand new state of the art ship in New Orleans.

Personally I don't care either way because it isn't like you get a free cruise after so many sailings.

I see both sides of the street. Number of days sailed helps the people who are lucky enough to afford and can get the time off to do 7+ days at sea. The current system helps people who can afford to cruise often on shorter sailings most of whom live near the ports.

Regardless of how they change the system someone will cry foul.

Personally I don't care either way because it isn't like you get a free cruise after so many sailings.

...well... with the current program, after your ONE HUNDREDTH sailing with them, you do get a FREE cruise! ;)

I believe the free one is up to an 8-day sailing in a category 11 (which they don't have any more... but who's keeping track -- LOL)!

Tom

...well... with the current program, after your ONE HUNDREDTH sailing with them, you do get a FREE cruise! ;)

I believe the free one is up to an 8-day sailing in a category 11 (which they don't have any more... but who's keeping track -- LOL)!

Tom

Well good job for some rich retired person who can afford to take 100 cruises. I'd rather just sail different lines and take the money I've saved by not being loyal and sail more often.

Until the quality of the perks in increased, I really couldn't care less.

I feel that Carnival has a lot riding on this revamp. If they drop the ball and don’t add much in the way of substance in the higher tiers (giving people something to strive for – more than a cheap notepad…) they risk looking very cheap – and that could cost them in the long run. There will always be loads of people willing to jump on a FUN SHIP regardless of any loyalty program. In my opinion, it’s those who will be in the upper two tiers that Carnival is attempting to deal with here.

Tom

Until the quality of the perks in increased, I really couldn't care less.

I agree. The perks need to be improve. This will be our 1st sailing as Platinum. But have herd people complaing over the years about what they get.

Well good job for some rich retired person who can afford to take 100 cruises. I'd rather just sail different lines and take the money I've saved by not being loyal and sail more often.

I"m glad for those "RICH" people.... Most of those rich are still spending money when most aren't.

Don't have to be rich to do this. We met with a retired couple in NOLA, who were seriously thinking of taking the next year and going to Miami and doing the ultimate B2B2B2 ..... for a WHOLE YEAR. In the Miami/FLL area there are many cruise lines. and doing the math, they could book an inside and go from one cruise ship to another, or stay on the same ship for a few weeks, and come out spending less than, or equal to what they would need to spend if they stayed at home.

I feel that Carnival has a lot riding on this revamp. If they drop the ball and don’t add much in the way of substance in the higher tiers (giving people something to strive for – more than a cheap notepad…) they risk looking very cheap – and that could cost them in the long run. There will always be loads of people willing to jump on a FUN SHIP regardless of any loyalty program. In my opinion, it’s those who will be in the upper two tiers that Carnival is attempting to deal with here.

Tom

Honestly, it's nice to have little perks like VIP embarkation, a little gift, etc. But if the goal is to have people book with CCL instead of booking with another line, with the Platinum status as the 'carrot', I just don't see it with the current benefits. I like CCL, and will be platinum with them in two cruises. We also cruise NCL pretty offen, RCI/Princess on occasion. When I hit Platinum, hey that's swell. But as it is right now, if I was looking to book my 10th cruise with CCL, but the price or itinerary was a little bit better with NCL, I would not hesitate to book the NCL cruise. The Platinum benefits should be good enough that I feel IMPELLED to book that 10th cruise, and for now, at least for us, that feeling is not there.

Don't have to be rich to do this. We met with a retired couple in NOLA, who were seriously thinking of taking the next year and going to Miami and doing the ultimate B2B2B2 ..... for a WHOLE YEAR. In the Miami/FLL area there are many cruise lines. and doing the math, they could book an inside and go from one cruise ship to another, or stay on the same ship for a few weeks, and come out spending less than, or equal to what they would need to spend if they stayed at home.

I've heard similar stories and a legit price tag of 65/75k per couple for an inside room for the year.

Archived