OMG!!! MY mom had her IPAD stolen!!!

lovetexas

Oh my... we are frequent travelers.. my mom goes alot!!

She gave her bags over to security at the New Orleans port of Carnival. She got on the ship, got her luggage, and her brand new IPAD was gone!!!

They "state" they are not responsible... WHATEVER!!!! they take your luggage, they ARE responsible!!!

I am soooooo mad I can barely type this!!

My mom ( and Aunt who is with her), are in their late 70's. What is wrong here!!

Carnival MUST step up and accept responsiblity. My sisters and I gave her this IPAD for her 78th birthday.... GEEZ.....

I will keep everyone informed!

I think this is very important to know when traveling on Carnival.

On RCI they step up to everything they are responsible for????

All I can say is..... where is our customer service here!@~!????

Oh yea... so mad forgot to say..

They are on the Triumph !!!!!!

She gave her bags over to security at the New Orleans port of Carnival. She got on the ship, got her luggage, and her brand new IPAD was gone!!!

They "state" they are not responsible... WHATEVER!!!! they take your luggage, they ARE responsible!!!

My mom ( and Aunt who is with her), are in their late 70's. What is wrong here!!

Carnival MUST step up and accept responsiblity. My sisters and I gave her this IPAD for her 78th birthday.... GEEZ.....

I'm sorry that your mom lost her computer but you should never let items like that out of your possession. Even in your cabin you should not just leave it out. That is why I am hesitant to bring devices that won't fit in the safe. On my return trip, I put my mints from my room in a carry on that I checked where they were visible. Someone at the airline helped themselves to some of them. They told me at the counter to be sure that valuables were not in the carry on. I'm sure the same is true with the porters at the dock. Sorry!

Is your Mom sure her iPod was stolen? Just about a week ago a passenger was demanding from John H to make a announcement on the PA system that someone stole her iPad and she was crying at the GS desk creating a scene only to find out a day latter that her son took the iPad to play, what I am saying, is it possible your Mom maybe mistakenly forgot the iPod somewhere or misplaced it?

The luggage handlers at the port are not Carnival Employees. If your mom travels alot and leaves valuable in her luggage she has been very lucky, most learn pretty quickly not to leave anything of value in the luggage.

Airports don't take responsibility for missing valuables nor do the airlines. Neither do cruise lines.

In the future valuables should be with you or in the safe. Even if they are in a hotel room, locked car, cabin, bus, train or anywhere no one is responsible except yourself.\

Did she have travel insurance? It might cover an item stolen from her luggage.

Why in God's name would you put anything non replaceable in your luggage? Anything I must have on the cruise ipad meds passport and money are on my person until I can lock them in the safe. Anything I can replace easily goes in luggage.ie clothes

Sorry this happened but in actuality, they are NOT responsible..and if you both travel a lot as you said, you all should probably know that you NEVER pack valuables OR medication in checked luggage...meaning any bag that is OUT of your SIGHT!

Anything that I can't live without never leaves my carryon/sight...

again, sorry about this, but really neither the cruise line nor the porters at the pier are responsible......you can always write to them and ask...but don't expect a positive outcome

Porters are not Carnival employees, therefore Carnival has nothing to "Step up to". Here is the website for the Port of New Orleans so that you can begin to file your complaints.

http://www.portno.com/

Sorry this happened to your Mom but as someone else said you should never let valuables out of your sight when traveling. The only things in my checked bags are my clothes.

And since it's going to be impossible to prove if it was actually stolen or misplaced I doubt if anything is going to be done about it.

Did she have travel insurance? If so maybe it would be covered under that policy.

As others have said, port employess do not work for Carnival.

I am sorry that this happened and unfortunate that somebody didn't let her know before she cruised to not pack valuables in her checked luggage.

Was her luggage locked? Or was the lock cut off? Unlocked baggage with valuables are a prime target for a thief.

All of my electronics, Ipad included, never leave my side when I board, and are never left out in my room either.

The Ipad has a serial number...if you have the paper work, you should report it stolen. It also has a password, so it will be more difficult for someone else to use. Unless your Mom didn't set up a password.

Sorry to hear of the loss, but as frequent travelers your mom should have known to keep all her valuables in her carryon. And, as someone stated, the baggage handlers are not employed by CCL. The iPad could have been taken any time from hand-off of luggage at the port until it was brought into the cabin. She should check with her home-owner's insurance, or put a claim in to travel insurance, if she had purchased it. Had she also had something stolen while on RCI? Cause you stated that they "step up to everything they are responsible for???"

I'm sorry she lost it....it's probably one of the porters....I never trust those guys.....already overpaid, and always have their hand out for more! Did you buy it recently with a credit card....sometimes there is a loss warranty when you use a credit card. Good luck.

I am not sure why we are so in a hurry to accuse the Porters, I am not close to 78 yo and sometimes misplace or forget where i place stuff, did we ever take the time and give it a thought that Mom at 78 yo maybe forgot where she put the iPad?

Sorry to hear about your mom's iPad being stolen after giving her bags to a porter at the Port of New Orleans. You should be taking this up with them and not Carnival, as the porters are not employees of Carnival.

We never EVER pack anything of value in our luggage - all of that goes into our carry-on bags, or we don't take it with us.

Oh no! Thats awful! I hope you are able to get some resolution, although I suspect there is little they can or will do (as someone else mentioned, the port employees are not CCL staff). Check your credit card and her homeowners insurance (my renter's insurance covered items stolen out of my car...not the same thing, I know, but its worth a shot!).

Ask the people that RCI left stranded in San Juan when Emily came through if RCI always steps up.

The Port of New Orleans needs to step up here, not Carnival. I understand why you are upset, but you are upset at the wrong people.

While it is horrible that the ipad was stolen, the blame is not 100% on the baggage handlers and security. Your mom does take 50% of the blame too. She should have been told ahead of time when you or the person travelling with her to keep any valuable electronic device on her person when boarding the ship.

Sadly, all that your mom can do is make a report to the ship and put in an insurance claim with the travel insurance she hopefully purchased.

There have been many cases where people report valuables being stolen from their suitcases once they are handed off. Now that we have to leave our suitcases unlocked it is even more important to NOT pack anything valuable in the suitcase the porters take at the port.

Archived