What is the worst Cruise line that you have sailed on

caribbean sailor

While not sticking up for Carnival, I fail to see how your problem was the

responsibility of the cruise line in question.

john

While it may not the responsibility of the cruise line, the passenger mix could reflect on the types of people who may select a particular cruise line. Same could be said for the type of hotel, restaurant, bar, etc. For instance, I would not consider going to a biker bar, or a Rave night club. The people there would probably not be my type of person, and some of their behavior I may find distasteful. Same could be said for different cruise lines.

Silversea: "Worst Overall Cruise I Have Ever Been On", "Worst Food I Have Ever Had On A Cruise Ship" and tied with Holland America for "Most Boring Cruise I Have Ever Been On".

And I will never go on a Christmas/New Year cruise again, on any cruise line.

WOW and at that cost

I love love love cruising but have to go for cheap so haven't tried the fancy lines.

I have been on the more budget friendly lines and NCL was by far the worst. Horrible food in the MDR and lackadaisical service. I felt like I was in a cafeteria. The food honestly tasted like frozen food.

The ship itself was pretty though.

My worst cruise was on Bermuda Star Lines' Queen of Bermuda. Bermuda Star Lines isn't around any longer. I'm not surprised.

I was at the second sitting, and before dinner, the waiter passed around the menus, and we read them and made our choices. Most of the time, when we tried to order something, we were told that they were all out of it. And then we would order something else, only to be told that they were out of that, too. Then we would ask if they had anything else that wasn't on the menu. The waiter would suggest something, and if that sounded okay, it was ordered. If it didn't sound appealing, we would ask for something else, and something else was eventually suggested and ordered. I asked the waiter if they were out of stuff because people at the first sitting ate it all. Yes, yes, that was it, the waiter said.

I eventually found out that the problem was caused by the cruiseline changing its menu, but not printing up new menus because they wanted to save money. So why did the waiters constantly go through the charade of handing us menus so that we could choose what we wanted to eat, only to tell us afterwards that our choice wasn't available?

Another example of their cheapness was that you could earn tickets for participating in games, and you could exchange your tickets for ship's prizes. After I redeemed my tickets for a prize, I had one ticket left over. The hostess insisted that I turn in my extra ticket. I refused, saying that I had turned in enough tickets for my prize, and that it didn't say anywhere that in order to get a prize, you had to turn in every single ticket that you had. I asked around if anyone needed one more ticket to get a desired prize, and I found such a person. The cruiseline evidently didn't want to give anyone more than one prize (if they tried to grab every single ticket from you), and they didn't want to give out any more of the better prizes than they had to.

Another example of their cheapness was told to me by people who went to the cocktail party for people who had cruised with Bermuda Star Lines before. After a certain number of cruises, people were supposed to get some sort of a medal, and those people were looking forward to getting their medals, only to find out at the cocktail party that they weren't giving out medals any longer. Probably to save money.

While not sticking up for Carnival, I fail to see how your problem was the

responsibility of the cruise line in question.

I agree 100% with what sloopsailor said. It is just a matter of fact that the least expensive cruise line is going to attract a more undesirable crowd. Earlier, I said my worst cruise line experience was Costa, and I still stand by that, but the cruises I have been on with the rudest and most ill behaved passengers has consistently been Carnival.

I agree 100% with what sloopsailor said. It is just a matter of fact that the least expensive cruise line is going to attract a more undesirable crowd. Earlier, I said my worst cruise line experience was Costa, and I still stand by that, but the cruises I have been on with the rudest and most ill behaved passengers has consistently been Carnival.

I think that the more expensive cruise lines would attract an undesirable crowd.:D

I see that everyone that lists an MSC cruise in their signatures on this thread also rates MSC as their worst cruise ever.

We've sailed CCL, RCCL, NCL, and MSC.

MSC was definitely our favourite.... for food, service, entertainment, and the ship (Poesia)

The worst food was on NCL.

We're going on Celebrity next month...I hope it lives up to MSC !!!

All the ships I've sailed on five different cruiselines have been GREAT. I wouldn't be able to rate fellow passengers in any way whatsoever on any cruise because I don't care! I am on vacation and am responsible for my own good time! Food and service will vary by ship and is subjective anyway.

CHEERS and HAPPY SAILING on ALL LINES!!! :D

I am looking at Alaska.. anyone had major good or bad cruise experience to Alaska?

July 2010. Alaska was great! Holland America not great. After two days wanted to jump ship and swim over to the Celebrity ship shadowing us.

So it goes.

DDWW

Been on a few cruise lines and our worst was our first in 1989 we took a 4 day out of Hilo HI and I know that the cruise line doesn't exist anymore( no wonder). It was very old and I remember my DH and I's cabin was down on a low deck. My DH jokes he had to shovel coal to power the ship!

It was very rocky but it was our 1st cruise (10th anniv) what did we know.

I'm so glad ships have been upgraded with all the bells and whistles.

I usually don't complain about food I don't have to cook lol

Andrea

NCL --

1) The service level generally was significantly below that on other lines -- slower, clearly less interested;

2)The food in main dining room was below par, and often served cold-- in the cafeteria the breakfast buffet was very slow, again poor service and low quality food -- if you wanted real orange juice you had to pay extra vs. included on HAL (just one example)

3)CD staff were disinterested, and often hard to find.

4)Free-style dining is annoying -- unless you eat very early or late, there is a long wait for a table.

5)Constant nickel-diming announcements for bingo and lottery sales.

6)General maintenance and cleanliness seemed below standard of other lines.

7)Passenger mix seemed more pushy and less courteous than on other lines - possibly attracted by low advertised fares and come-as-you-are free-style approach.

Premier Cruise Line: The Big Red Boat early 1980's.

This was our worst, but in fairness, we unknowingly set ourselves up for disappointment. It was our first cruise and we were very young parents, leaving our kids for the first time. We bought the cheapest cabin available, which was a closet with bunk beds. We didn't want to spend extra money for drinks or wine and we went with another couple that we discovered had a dysfunctional marriage. :eek: It put us off cruising for about 15 years!

Luckily, we tried again and discovered that a bigger cabin, more stable friends and drinking add a lot more pleasure to a cruise!:D

• 2 weeks later...
Royal Caribbean, Sovereign of the Seas. Really Bad dining room service, bad service from room service, mediocre to bad food.

Sorry to hear that. I've cruised the Sovereign of the Seas twice. Once when she was new in the late 80's and then again in the mid 90's. Both were fabulous cruises.

My worst cruise was my first on the Carnival Tropicale. Oh my goodness. I think my husband and I must have watched too much Love Boat because our expectations were so different than this cruise was. Small, dark, dirty, lousy entertainment, mediocre at best food,.

After having cruised with some single friends on NCL and loving it, I convinced my dear husband-to-be that a cruise would be great for our honeymoon. My mother who had been on multiple Queen Elizabeth (the original) sailings sold me on Cunard as a much more upscale option for a honeymoon.

Well... we boarded the Cunard Princess to find our honeymoon cabin not yet made-up and equipped with unmovable twin beds. So began the cruise from hell. There was some mixup about the beds but the cruise was sold out and we couldn't be moved. Turns out our room steward didn't make the ship so for the entire cruise our room got made up by whoever was available when they had finished their own cabins. Somedays it wasn't till dinnertime. We never saw any ice in spite of begging people to bring it. And there was no turn down service. Complaints to the desk were met with a shrug and "what do we expect them to do, he missed the ship".

We had been confirmed for early seating dining at a table for 2 but were seated at a large table and were told nothing else was available. This actually turned out alright as our tablemates were very nice.

But...our room steward was not the only one to miss the ship. The band also didn't make it so we had no main entertainment for the first 2 nights while the band flew to join us at the next port. Unfortunately, while the band joined the ship at the port, their instruments did not. So still no entertainment. Even though other acts were there, they would not perform without the band who apparently provided critical back-up. Eventually the crew threw together a cheesy talent show with recorded music. I think the full entertainment was finally available for 2 of the 7 nights.

When we talked to our TA after returning, she also told us that we should have received a bottle of wine which she had arranged but we never got. We hadn't asked about it because we didn't know she had sent it. Now this was 30 years ago so there was no internet to let us know what we could do, and being young and inexperienced we got no compensation or even real apology from either the cruise line or TA.

Needless to say, we never used that TA again and my husband refused to cruise for the next 25 years!

After discovering cruising as it was meant to be, we've enjoyed HAL, NCL, RCCL, and Celebrity and are anticipating our first Oceania trip. But there will be no Cunard in our future!

Have had 12 wonderful cruises. 4 with RCCL and 8 with Celebrity (another booked for Feb.) and have no desire to stray. Actually, I plan to stick with X even though the other cruises were great. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :D :D

Ok, I'm offended. I have been on a couple of different lines, and yes I have been on Carnival more than the others. But, I would have to say that based on my fellow passengers, my experience on Celebrity was the most undesirable. The demographic was much older and the one thing I remember about that cruise were the discussions about health issues and funerals.

My point is this: We all have our own personal tastes and levels of we consider to be desirable. To say that a cruise line will attract a lower class of people is pure snobbery. You don't care for your fellow passengers, that is fine, but to imply that those who choose a certain line are somehow beneath you is classless.

Ok, I'm offended.....

My point is this: We all have our own personal tastes and levels of we consider to be desirable. To say that a cruise line will attract a lower class of people is pure snobbery. You don't care for your fellow passengers, that is fine, but to imply that those who choose a certain line are somehow beneath you is classless.

If anything said on these boards is offensive to you, particularly when talking about bad cruise lines, you may want to reconsider your internet usage time. But before you go jumping all over me for simply stating the obvious, you may want to take a closer look at your precious CEO. He, himself, stated the cruise line targets that demographic. It's pretty hard to refute facts that even the cruise line, themselves, admit to. That particular line is all about quantity, not quality. Heard too many people on a neon ship at a fraction the cost of other lines - what do you expect?

Archived