What is the worst Cruise line that you have sailed on

caribbean sailor

Sorry, did not make myself clear. We ate at some local restaurants as we rented a car at three of the ports. We found them to be very nice. But of course this was at our own expense. Also, in Hawaii they offer special luaos(sp?) at some of the ports.

I wouldn't waste my vacations days on even a "free" NCL cruise. What a dissapointment. :(

I agree.

Worst cruise ever was an NCL Alaska cruise to and from Seattle. Dirty boat, dirty cabin. Constant barrage of sales announcements and we were unable to turn off the PA in the cabin so we had to hear it all the time.

We were only two people so we could not get a reservation in the MDR. Since we wanted to see the shows, we had to wait at least 30 minutes each night for a seat at any table. (So much for open dining when the shows have a scheduled time.) The shows were good.

After standing in a line for 45 minutes to go to a chocolate buffet, I was handed a paper plate when I finally arrived at the buffet. The intent was to fill it and leave. The empty paper plate stayed in the cabin for the remainder of the cruise. No doubt it was the worst cabin attendant we have ever had on any cruise.

The crew members were not well-trained nor were they courteous to guests.

I wrote a 3 page letter to the President of NCL when we got home. He did respond that many of my criticisms were legitimate and offered us a "gift" in our stateroom on our next cruise.

We've been on many ocean and river cruises. We sailed with NCL before they turned Freestyle and changed their targeted demographic. We enjoyed those cruises very much, but things have changed.

There will never be another cruise on NCL for me. Not even if someone gave me a free ticket.

Well, guess I'm one of the few NCL afficiandos! First NCL cruise was on the Seaward in 1988 - or 1989

We sailed on the Seaward around that time, too. It was a fantastic cruise. There was only one specialty restaurant and the crew advised us that it was just for "special occasions" so if we weren't on our honeymoon or celebrating an anniversary, we weren't expected to use it.

The crew was fabulous. The food was wonderful. The shows were great and held in the lounge as there was no theater.

Those were the days when the cabin attendant made designs out of your nighties and left them on your pillow.

Those were the good old days :)

Never really had a "bad" cruise, but like others, maybe some better than others..

There was the Carnival Fantasy/Ecstasy (can't remember which one it was lol) - sailed through a hurricane and more than 50% of the passengers were sick - everywhere! And the passengers were very rude as well, possibly the rudest persons I have ever met. But we did get to spend a few days with our (seasick) daughters watching movies in our cabin while sailing thru an "adventure", even if we ended up with only one port stop in whipping winds and rain. It was so much fun, my (now adult) daughters still talk about our bonding time!

There was one sailing on Dolphin, where we booked the best suites (not kidding, the two best suites lol) on the ship to accommodate the four of us (our daughters were maybe four and six? at the time but required their own suite). Rooms were pretty awful lol, with no TVs or balconies I don't think, nor furniture other than a bed, a vinyl sofa that was more like a bench with no arms or back, and a folding chair (this was really the "Owner's Suite" lol).. but it was an amazing itinerary, the only time I have been to the San Blas Islands - another amazing experience. Plus we met the most beautiful elderly couple on that ship - she was very ill and needed to be assisted with everything by her husband - he hand fed her, wiped her mouth, dressed her in ball gowns every night (he wore a tuxedo), pushed her wheelchair, interpreted her slurred speech for her - he doted on her like I have never seen. We became friendly with them and she adored my children and they adored her. Hubby and I still refer to this couple, especially now as we are getting older, as an example of what we want to be to each other as we age...

We sailed Olympic/Olympia? from Athens once, in two suites with no TVs, bathtubs that filled with dark brown water and showers that only reached room temperature, one bulb in the bathroom that kept turning on and off on it's own, and really awful food, but we had the best family vacation I think we have ever had in Europe, thanks to a friendly crew, great itinerary, and a charter by a Canadian high school group - such fun!

We also LOVE NCL, but again, generally only sail in suites, a different sailing experience from non-suite cabins I suppose.

Like I said, never a bad cruise - I guess life is really what you make of it!

Robin

According to post #165 Carnival is number 1 of the worst.

Since post #165 NCL has seven more votes and Carnival three more. That puts NCL at 40 and Carnival at 37.

One thing I have noticed - many people who like NCL only stay in suites. For the prices charged for those higher end staterooms, there better be a nicer experience! But for the poor among us who can't afford those suites, we seem to be out of luck on NCL.

Since post #165 NCL has seven more votes and Carnival three more. That puts NCL at 40 and Carnival at 37.

One thing I have noticed - many people who like NCL only stay in suites. For the prices charged for those higher end staterooms, there better be a nicer experience! But for the poor among us who can't afford those suites, we seem to be out of luck on NCL.

OMG my thoughts exactly! You pay for a suite on NCL , it's like a regular room on all others! I have been saying that forever. I have done this deal!

..I stayed in the suite with the useless butler and it still was a horrible cruise.....:eek::eek::eek:

Only remarkable in the fact that Berlitz ratings don't correspond anything at all to our own cruise critics "Cruisers choice poll" that reflects the findings found in this thread, especially MSC which is rated lowest in all categories.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberpoll_all.cfm?rating=Overall&sort=Highest

My experiences have been just like the other members of CC and I rate the ships almost exactly as they do, Berlitz appears inaccurate compared to the cruisers on CC and this thread, which, of course, is the subject.

I pay absolutely no attention to ratings from print media like Berlitz. I pay more attention to what others have to say. The worst cruise we have done was the old Chamdres line (long gone) followed by the Majesty or the Sea (RCI) but one ship doesn't represent an entire line, nor can we base our preference on a cruise we took 10 years ago.

Grandma Jean, when did you do NCL to Hawaii? I ask, because I had drinks with a Travel agent (friend of mine) just last week, who has cruised about 100 times now, including Seadream. He is a loyal Princess and Celebrity cruiser, but did NCL, Hawaii last year. All he could do was rave about it. Now, we are considering taking POA next year.. from what my clients have said and what I heard just last week from many on MSC it is the worst. Let's face it, like most things in life, cruising is very subjective. We just finished a 12 day cruise on Princess. Many features were above any other line we have cruised, other things were awful.

Nita

I think it depends on the ship just as much as the cruise line. My parents and siblings were on a Carnival cruise out of Jacksonville this past Spring break, felt it was an excellent mix of ages, and said their only complaint was that there seemed to be less activities than HAL/Princess. I have friends who were on a Carnival cruise out of Mobile that same week and said "it felt like they were in Wal-Mart for 5 days straight!" Personally, I've been on HAL, Princess, and RCI, and although each had pros and cons, none of them really stand out as the worst. I'd give HAL an advantage for service, Princess has the best food, and RCI had the most to do.

You made my husband and I roar! We went on the Carnival Holiday a few years back and had a GREAT time, albeit, the PAX were very interesting. Frankly, I thought that the staff was good, the food decent and for an old boat, it was in good repair. I seem to be able to have a good time no matter what. As far as NCL, we were on the Spirit when she had her engine troubles and had to substitute a port and was constantly late into ports. However, we enjoyed our time very much, had good food and really enjoyed the staff. I believe things are what you make of them. Now, if you encounter (as some have) a/c that fails to work, etc. I think that would drive me batty!

The worst thing I ever did to my parents was when I was a teen, I had saved money for a long time, and purchased an anniversary cruise for my mom and dad on...drum roll please...Premier. Oh my, I felt AWFUL after hearing their stories of what I had subjected them to. Just terrible. Oh well, we're all going to HI on NCL this Christmas, so they must have gotten over it...

newmexiconita,

We went on that trip probably four years ago. Hopefully, things may have changed since then. We really loved that trip and the food didn't bother us too much, but the waiters were really bad.

We had an owners suite, our one time splurge, and we really enjoyed it. Large balcony with hot tub, separate bedroom, huge bath with whirlpool tub and separate shower plus coffee bar in living room. As I said, our butler took very good care of us and our room stewart was so nice - my husband had to buy him a t shirt when we were out one day. I would go back in a minute.

Jean

This has been an interesting thread to read all the way through. My first cruise was on the Big Red Boat and it got me hooked on cruising. The poster who said that the Disney Wonder was their worst cruise reminded me that Premier had the first Disney ships until Disney built their own. Disney had a lot to learn about the cruise industry and it took them awhile to get it right.

I have cruised PCL, NCL, RCCL, CCL and Celebrity and have enjoyed them all, though some less than others.

NCL's Pride of America seemed to have service issues, which is attributed to having American crew workers who are less than enthusiastic with service type jobs...at least that's what I was told when I complained to NCL.

It wasn't the worst cruise, but I think the Carnival Legend is about the gawdiest, ugliest ship I have ever been on. Egads, those urns everywhere....yuk!

I loved the old Empress of the Seas ship from RCCL and Celebrity's Millenium - especially the penthouse suites! NCL's Pearl has lovely suites as well.

Cruising is what you make it but sometimes the passengers don't help. Cruising out of New Orleans is great, except for everyone running around hollering "Who Dat?"

I have learned to relax and go with the flow, remembering I am ON VACATION. That in itself makes me smile!

Archived