What is the worst Cruise line that you have sailed on

caribbean sailor

HAL!! The average age onboard our cruise was 80 I think. The public areas after dinner were deserted. It was like sailing on a ghost ship. Then there were all the walkers and carts to dodge. Never again!

HAL dinner times:

early dining 3:30 - 5:00

late dining 5:30 - 7:00

midnight buffet 8:00

LOL!:)

We usually only cruise HAL during the Holidays; off season, long cruises -- it can be a bit mature. We were on a HAL ship that had four "bright stars" in a 10 day cruise.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Guest LoveMyBoxer
HAL!! The average age onboard our cruise was 80 I think. The public areas after dinner were deserted. It was like sailing on a ghost ship. Then there were all the walkers and carts to dodge. Never again!

HAL dinner times:

early dining 3:30 - 5:00

late dining 5:30 - 7:00

midnight buffet 8:00

You really should not give out wrong information: One level of the two-tiered restaurant will offer a flexible/open dining service from 5:15 to 9 p.m. daily, and the other will host two seatings, an early seating at 5:45 p.m. and main seating at 8 p.m.

Also, it depends what time of year and where you are sailing from. We took a 14 days Christmas and New Year's cruise on HAL's Noordam that was amazing. Pleanty of fun going on and all ages. As for walkers and carts, those are found on ALL cruise lines.

Well, the old expression "different strokes for different folks" certainly applies. Some folks hate NCL because of the "freestyle", some folks will ONLY go on NCL because of the freestyle. Some aspects of a cruise experience that are the most important factors to one person, someone else couldn't care less about. But it's interesting to read about "what and why" made a particular cruise or line your worst cruise experience I think sometimes it's just the mix of passengers on a particular sailing that make it great and memorable. We've been on the same ship more than once and one cruise might have been one the best we've ever been on, while another sailing was just "OK".

What is the worst Cruise line that you have cruised on.What made it bad for you. Was it the ship, the service or the food.

Let,s all go to the Caribbean.:):):)

Holland America- ms Maasdam Jan 2, 2009- A norovirus outbreak that closed the pools, hot tubs, made the elevators stink, and we couldn't even get our own food or drinks at the buffet. The ship was dirty when we got on, coffee cups from the last cruise on the top deck, hairs in the shower, bottle caps under the sink, and the air in our cabin didn't work right. A disaster all the way around with the exeption that I didn't get the norovirus. Won't EVER sail them again!

The worst cruise we have ever been on was RCCL Sovereign of the Seas. It was a short Valentines cruise. We learned that short cruise equal cheap and cheap equals people who can afford cheap. I am trying to be an elitist but when I have a choice about who I am around I will not choose to be around people who think dressed for dinner means a "clean" t-shirt or a do-rag. I digress, some of the people wee a bit uncouth but also the ship was small and the service was okay at best. The best, so far has been Celebrity Solstice and Constellation. We are due back on Constellation in April for the 14 day Exotic Caribbean. It will not come too soon............

I'd like to agree with you, but in my expereince, I just can't. My Carnival experience has been the Imagination, Splendor, and Dream. That's 3 different ship classes. If Carnival has another ship class that isn't so bad, it doesn't really say much about the line because the 3 classes I have been on were that bad. Actually, to clarify, it's not that they were that bad, it's just that they were not as good as all the other lines I have been on, which are Princess, Celebrity, NCL, and Royal Caribbean.

I think I've given Carnival a fair chance. But I can comfortably say I won't be returning. The ships I've been on were too crowded and lacked class.

I agree completely. We took a Carnival cruise in July and noticed that many people on the shipped lacked class.

Point one: over half of the posts in this thread say their worst cruise was on a Carnival ship. The remainder are spread out among the rest of the cruise lines. I find it difficult not to make a judgment about Carnival based on this statistic.

Umm from what I have read NCL has had far more listed as their worse than Carnival. Obviously you just have a bone to pick with a cruise line you have never tried.

Nope, no bone to pick. Just have an opinion that I made from reading and listening to what people say. If I had a bone to pick I'd ignore the statistics and make unfounded assumptions - apparently like you have just done.

As to making a decision about something when I have never experienced it, this is human nature. I know what I like and what I don't like (and I'm much better at knowing me than you could ever be). I don't have to fall into a cesspool to know I won't like it. I don't need to bitten by a large animal to know I won't enjoy it. I don't need to fall off a cliff to know it isn't going to be fun. I don't need to cruise on Carnival to know I won't like it. I have enough information about all of these to know I don't want to experience them in any way.

But, this is just my opinion. You have my permission to make whatever assumptions about my opinion that you just can't resist making. :rolleyes:

You completely missed the point of my post. you stated Carnival had the most posts listed as the worst and I corrected you and pointed out that I see far more NCL's than Carnivals. Although both are mention frequently along with a couple of other lines. I'm just pointing out your bias against Carnival. I couldn't really care less if you choose to sail with them or not.

But, this is just my opinion. You have my permission to make whatever assumptions about my opinion that you just can't resist making. :rolleyes:

No matter how you say it, there are people here that will defend certain cruise lines as though they are their children - even to the point of posting under a newly made up screen name to support themselves. ;)

We have been on 4 cruises:

1. Carnival Pride
  2. Carnival Glory
  3. Mariner of the Seas
  4. Adventure of the Seas

ALL of these cruises were GREAT! There are always some minor things you can pick at if you choose, but I choose not to, it makes the cruise better!

USS Putnam DD757 when in the US Navy. no swimming pool. Also the cabin was a little crowded.

Love your post jagoffee, made my day. I even had to call my wife and show her your worst cruise.

As for us. We stick with HAL, Princess or Regent. Never had a bad one or even a close to unpleasant cruise. Longest was on HAL, three months. Shortest was on Princess, 1 week. I hate short cruises anymore. We also did the Mississippi Queen a year before they went under. That was a good voyage too.

Berlitz gives the nod for the top three, all categories considered here, to 1. Cunard 2. Celebrity 3. MSC Cruises 4. Princess and the worst is 1. RCI followed by 2. Carnival 3. Costa Cruises 4. Star Cruises 5. NCL ---

By far the worst cruises we were ever on were with Carnival. First one was on an old ship, the Sensation with it's neon lights and classless fellow cruisers. We swore we would never again sail Carnival, but a few years later we tried a brand new ship, the Conquest. The ship was much nicer, but the experience wasn't much better. Actually we enjoy NCL for many reasons, but out favorite line so far is Celebrity, both on older and newer ships.

You completely missed the point of my post. you stated Carnival had the most posts listed as the worst and I corrected you and pointed out that I see far more NCL's than Carnivals. Although both are mention frequently along with a couple of other lines. I'm just pointing out your bias against Carnival. I couldn't really care less if you choose to sail with them or not.

I decided to take a break from preparing my end-of-the-month books and have some fun with this topic, so I took the time to count every person's pick of the worst (I know, I must have too much time on my hands!!:D)

What I found was fascinating. And that you have a point that I'm glad you made about NCL getting quite a few votes. What was very interesting was that NCE and Carnival ended up with almost a tie - CAR = 35; NCL = 33. As I counted, one would take the lead, then the other rallied and took back the lead, which changed over a dozen times. I would say that both are equally disliked.

I haven't been on either one, but for some reason Carnival seems to have a larger presence - that must be why I thought Carnival to be the undisputed winner. I guess you might have been partially correct about my bias against Carnival.

For those of you who might be interested, here are the totals as the worst cruise lines based on the answers on this thread:

CARNIVAL = 35

NCL = 33

ROYAL CARIBBEAN = 11

MSC = 6

HAL = 5

CELEBRITY = 1

DISNEY = 1

PRINCESS = 1

Other lines were mentioned, but these I didn't consider to be the mass market lines most of us cruise on, so they weren't counted. Besides, none not listed here totaled more than two votes each.

I decided to take a break from preparing my end-of-the-month books and have some fun with this topic, so I took the time to count every person's pick of the worst (I know, I must have too much time on my hands!!:D)

What I found was fascinating. And that you have a point that I'm glad you made about NCL getting quite a few votes. What was very interesting was that NCE and Carnival ended up with almost a tie - CAR = 35; NCL = 33. As I counted, one would take the lead, then the other rallied and took back the lead, which changed over a dozen times. I would say that both are equally disliked.

I haven't been on either one, but for some reason Carnival seems to have a larger presence - that must be why I thought Carnival to be the undisputed winner. I was clearly wrong.

For those of you who might be interested, here are the totals as the worst cruise lines based on the answers on this thread:

CARNIVAL = 35

NCL = 33

ROYAL CARIBBEAN = 11

MSC = 6

HAL = 5

CELEBRITY = 1

DISNEY = 1

PRINCESS = 1

Other lines were mentioned, but these I didn't consider to be the mass market lines most of us cruise on, so they weren't counted. Besides, none not listed here totaled more than two votes each.

Thanks for putting that together. :) It would also be interesting... if anyone has the time and/or interest... to figure out how many of the complaints were for food, service, amenities, cleanliness, or something unrelated like a fight with their spouse or encountering rude passengers that hogged the chairs, didn't use hand sanitizer, etc.

I noticed that many complaints were for bad food, which is completely subjective. Just like dating, we all have to kiss a few frogs before we find our prince. I hope that people that have had a bad cruise experience try another line before they make a blanket judgement about cruising.

NCL for many reasons and I was a huge fan at one point took 13 cruises ( unlucky ## ) on ncl , 7 on SS Norway. Food went down hill, hate anytime dinning, they just do not care. One time I had a ring that was missing, they said they searched the room at could not find it , said it could not have been any of the NCL staff, we then looked again for ring and didn’t find it, but found a High school ring along with other jewelry, which we turned in ( I doubt it ever got to owner ).

First was Costa Atlantica - ship nice; food awful, too many of specific nationality-some Europeans are rude and cut into lines & wear speedos throughout the ship (ugh) (& they say we Americans are! Baloney). They smoke any where they wish and cruise line never stops them. The Italian passengers were complaining about them.

The second & worst was NCL-Epic-did little to enforce hand sanitizers and put out food that spoiled w/o benefit of heat or ice. DH had two days of sickness; I had five. On the Oasis next week & already have my bottle of 96 immodium-type meds. I have been seasick, but never the Noro Virus. NCL never told you what was free; never saw pretzel rolls they were famous for. Service in the dining room went from great to terrible in two days.

Was sick on first cruise, but it wasn't Premier's fault. But, our Regal Princess to Alaska was terrible too! The "sidewalks" was brought in @ 12 pm each evening (was much younger then!). Motown music turned into Sinatra each evening. Nothing to do for the teenager.

I guess in 18 cruises, four misses isn't bad.

We have been on 4 cruises:

1. Carnival Pride
  2. Carnival Glory
  3. Mariner of the Seas
  4. Adventure of the Seas

ALL of these cruises were GREAT! There are always some minor things you can pick at if you choose, but I choose not to, it makes the cruise better!

Good for you.

However, if you try a few more lines, you may enjoy your cruises even more.

john

I haven't been on either one, but for some reason Carnival seems to have a larger presence - that must be why I thought Carnival to be the undisputed winner. I guess you might have been partially correct about my bias against Carnival.

CARNIVAL = 35

NCL = 33

ROYAL CARIBBEAN = 11

MSC = 6

HAL = 5

CELEBRITY = 1

DISNEY = 1

PRINCESS = 1

Off the top of my head...Here's a few dynamics here:

1. Pre-determined attitudes that say, "See I told you this was a bad idea to select this ship/cruiseline!"

2. Snooty, self-absorbed people who find themselves unable to enjoy different "classes" of people.

3. A combination of bad experiences that create a poor attitude till the end of the cruise.

No time for more...:D But after almost 20 cruises, multiple lines, always thankful for the privilege that others don't experience.

'Al out

What is the worst Cruise line that you have cruised on.What made it bad for you. Was it the ship, the service or the food.

Let,s all go to the Caribbean.:):):)

NCL by far -- dining room service was atrocious and food was Mel's Diner quality -- like eating at Denny's.

going on my 1st cruise on the norwegian jade in may 2012 , i knew i shouldnt have read this thread :), hopefuly being the hardy soul i am its all going to be what we make of it ;)

Hi. I can't believe all the bad comments about NCL. We have had 8 cruises with NCL and been on the Norwegian Jade 3 times. Just came back from a B2B from Venice on the Jade. Enjoyed the cruise. We are going on our 1st cruise with RCL next March. So we will have another cruise line to compare with.

We were on Norwegian Dawn when it lost power for about 5 hours. The whole staff did a fine job despite the change of duties they had to do. A waiter in a bar we usually when in, saw us on the deck and brought out a table from the bar for us. :)

Chrissy

carnival legend: They had an outbreak of norwalk or what ever the desease is called: it was on the ship the week previous and they failed to get rid of it: they insisted we brought it on with us: Over 1/2 the crew was sick and they only reported about 1/3 rd of the people sick: No apology: For that reason we have never booked again with carnival:

Worst cruise ever was the RCI Viking Serenade...4-night cruise from LA-Catalina-Enseneda-LA. It was really awful!! Dirty ship, tiny (and I mean TINY) cabin, bad food, lousy service. We felt really sorry for the cute Honeymoon couple that sat next to us at "dinner". They tried to look happy, but...admitted this was not what they'd signed up for!! This was mid-August 1995. The public toilets were overflowing (gross!) and the public sinks were filthy! Really turned me off from RCI. I did go on the 4-night Sovereign from Pt. Canaveral in 2000...still not impressed! Still tiny cabins and bad food and service!

We took this cruise in 1992. It was our first cruise and it hooked us on cruising.

Carnival, sailed from Galveston four day drunk for most people just loud stupid yuk yuks. Ship was old and beat up, couldn't tell it was just in dry dock four months prior. Food was fair, crew smelled, and disembarketion was a mess. Had probably 25 people leave on crutches or in a wheel chair.

Archived