Are beverage packages now "hassle-free"?

cheffip

we had the premium package on our b2b last March - loved it

nothing to sign & the crew in the martini bar always had drinks ready for us

we also never had empty wine glasses at dinner & a few times at lunch!

we loved the convenience of picking up bottled water on the way out & getting those tasty frosty coffee drinks when we returned from port

on the pool deck we were always able to get bottle water or cold beer - brought right to us!

wish the other lines would add a package deal like this

Princess doesn't have alcohol packages. I'm interested in hearing what Celebrity's are as I'm really considering adding a Celebrity cruise in between my two booked Princess cruises.

What are the packages like?

Thanks for your input

Michelle

I was wondering about this too. For example, if both my husband and I had the premium package and lets say you could get 5 glasses out of a bottle, shouldn't bottles up to $60 be included?

Also what about the wine/margarita tastings that you can usually go to "for a fee". Can you just show up for those too? I realize you can just order whatever you want, but sometimes it is nice to hear about the different choices.

In theory, but since you are only allowed 1 glass at a time, the answer is no, bottles are not included. Unless of course that wine is available by the glass.

The tastings are not included in the package.

In theory, but since you are only allowed 1 glass at a time, the answer is no, bottles are not included. Unless of course that wine is available by the glass.

The tastings are not included in the package.

Thats a real shame, we will just have to do some tastings of our own.:D

Princess doesn't have alcohol packages. I'm interested in hearing what Celebrity's are as I'm really considering adding a Celebrity cruise in between my two booked Princess cruises.

What are the packages like?

Thanks for your input

Michelle

Hi Michelle, there is a large sticky thread at the top of this forum

with all kinds of information about the drink packages.

What are they like? You choose what is best for you (for a price

of course;))..to give you an example, the Premium package covers

all drinks that cost up to 12 bucks...whatever beverage it happens

to be.

The Classic covers drinks up to 8 bucks each (I think).....

You get the idea....you pay a price which includes the taxes and

tips. Then when you go to the bar you show your card, which will

have a little sticky note on it saying which package you bought.

Show the card, get the drink...no sharing allowed.

Hi Michelle, there is a large sticky thread at the top of this forum

with all kinds of information about the drink packages.

What are they like? You choose what is best for you (for a price

of course;))..to give you an example, the Premium package covers

all drinks that cost up to 12 bucks...whatever beverage it happens

to be.

The Classic covers drinks up to 8 bucks each (I think).....

You get the idea....you pay a price which includes the taxes and

tips. Then when you go to the bar you show your card, which will

have a little sticky note on it saying which package you bought.

Show the card, get the drink...no sharing allowed.

There are 2 alcohol packages, but when evaluating, you have to remember that they include non-alcoholic drinks also. We had the premium packages on our 2 recent cruises and loved it. It sounded like a lot (I think about $50/pp/per day), but honestly, we either came out about even or ahead, and loved the elegance of ordering whatever we wanted, and trying new things, without a thought to cost or a check to sign. The packages include all specialty coffees and teas, sodas, fresh squeezed juices, bottled water, smoothies, virgin drinks as well as alcohol. Also, the sommelier seamlessly brought wine matched to our dinner courses, which is a lovely touch.

Has everyone's recent experience using the beverage packages gone smoothly and and hassle-free? I ask because I bought my one and only on Summit soon after they were introduced and the staff frequently brought me chits to sign with the cost of the drink included. So I was obliged to look at every receipt very closely and having to point out that I had a package resulting in more paper to be signed to reverse the charges...even a few calls to customer service. It all balanced out in the end but it was a real headache at the time. I'm assuming the staff are much more familiar with them now but wonder how often errors still occur?

I did 3 cruises on Solstice last year, all with Premium Alcohol Package, and had no problems or troubles at all. Most of my purchased were at the Martini Bar and Adrian did an awesome job there. After my first 2 nights he'd always greet me as "Mr. John" and had my card number memorized. For my two later sailings he quickly recognized me and provided the same great service. I don't know if he's still on Solstice but I hope to run in to him again soon. Very good guy in general and a great bartender too. It was cool to see his evolution as on my first cruise he was not "ready" to do the multi-martini pours, but by the time I did my third cruise with him he was doing 7 & even 10 martini pours from the shakers. On all 3 cruises he got a nice extra tip from me at the end for his great service and attention. Really a great guy.

If my spouse has an alcohol premium package deal and I have a non alcohol package deal, are we able to switch sometimes since we are not big drinkers (espicially me). Meaning, if I decide to have an occasional alcohol drink in the afternoon, can I use his card? What kind of control is there?.

The packages are not for sharing. However, you bring up a unique situation. You have each bought a package, one alcoholic, the other not. You order two drinks, one on each card. In this case, I doubt if there is anything much wrong with switching. The problems that have been noted have been where one spouse has a package, the other does not, and they try to get two drinks each time on the one card. The bartenders and servers are alert to this, and it is possible that you would have your package forfeited for the duration of the cruise. There would also be the embarrassment factor of having an officer come to your table for "the discussion".

Has everyone's recent experience using the beverage packages gone smoothly and and hassle-free? I ask because I bought my one and only on Summit soon after they were introduced and the staff frequently brought me chits to sign with the cost of the drink included. So I was obliged to look at every receipt very closely and having to point out that I had a package resulting in more paper to be signed to reverse the charges...even a few calls to customer service. It all balanced out in the end but it was a real headache at the time. I'm assuming the staff are much more familiar with them now but wonder how often errors still occur?

Recently back from the Equinox using the premium package (both my and GF). Ordering was completely hassle-free, never had anything presented to sign, they just handed the cards back with a smile.

In the dining rooms, wine was generally refilled (with a smile) before the glasses were empty. Indeed, several times I had to stop them when I wanted to switch wines (or more commonly, being my slow self, several times I ended up with glasses of two wines when I told them I was wanting to switch after they'd already refilled my glass). After a few nights the sommelier knew us well enough that he didn't need our cards.

I know a couple bartenders knew us that well also (since several times they gave my GF drinks for both of us even though she only had her card), but unlike the sommelier they didn't actually mention it to me, and I kept providing the cards to keep things simple.

However, to be fair I should note that I did review our preliminary bill itemization (that was received the night before the last sea day I believe), and noticed one bar charge that was incorrect. Somehow we had gotten charged for what turned out to be a bloody mary (which I almost certainly did order), that the package obviously should have covered. I took the printout to Guest Relations and in about a minute had an apology and a promise to get the charge removed from my bill ASAP. And it was. Similar thing could have happened without a package, and how would I prove I shouldn't have been charged/double-charged/whatever for it then?

Archived