Talk about Nickel and Diming!

jerzigal

We just got home from a great cruise on Carnival Pride. Only one thing marred an otherwise fantabulous week.

Mal came down with the "ship crud" on Friday. I had a little Dayquil, which he quickly went through.

I went to the sundries store to get some Dayquil and Nyquil. To my disbelief, each six ounce bottle cost $17.99. I can get a twelve ounce bottle of each of them on cvs.com for $8.99!

I'm sorry, but that mark-up is outrageous.

We typically carry OTC meds with us, but we got caught short this time. From now on, we'll carry everything we can possibly think of with us whenever we cruise, and we suggest everyone do the same!

We just got home from a great cruise on Carnival Pride. Only one thing marred an otherwise fantabulous week.

Mal came down with the "ship crud" on Friday. I had a little Dayquil, which he quickly went through.

I went to the sundries store to get some Dayquil and Nyquil. To my disbelief, each six ounce bottle cost $17.99. I can get a twelve ounce bottle of each of them on cvs.com for $8.99!

$24 for four Bud Lights is pretty outrageous, too. But that's the price of being a captive audience.

Be glad they had anything for colds or you'd have been coughing up (pun intended) way more $$$ to the ship's doctor!

Guest LoveMyBoxer

We typically carry OTC meds with us, but we got caught short this time. From now on, we'll carry everything we can possibly think of with us whenever we cruise, and we suggest everyone do the same!

I know their prices are outrageous, as on other cruiselines. However, what if CVS was closed and you had to go to your neighborhoods corner store, would probably be a lot more than $8.99 right? As someone said, they have a captive audience just like any other store and they will make money off you.

It's always better to be prepared - I always try to bring along my personal 'pharmacy' but of course I will probably forget the one thing I really need! (last cruise got sunburned and did not have anything with me! nothing in the gift shop - ended up at the dr's office and lo and behold they had some aloe with lidocaine - big bottle for a very reasonalbe $9 - and I would have gladly paid more cuz I was in pain! :D)

Such a bummer.

Hope the rest of the cruise was wonderful.

Sorry to hear about that, to be sick and need medication to only find outrageous price is indeed a sad place to gouge your customers.

I think there is a fine line between 100% markups for chips, beer, snacks, and souveniors and charging ridiculous for what you know are desperation and distress purchases.

I know if I was marketing or controlled that I'd fix stupid things like that... :D

Sorry to hear about that, to be sick and need medication to only find outrageous price is indeed a sad place to gouge your customers.

I think there is a fine line between 100% markups for chips, beer, snacks, and souveniors and charging ridiculous for what you know are desperation and distress purchases.

I know if I was marketing or controlled that I'd fix stupid things like that... :D

Totally agree.

I agree that this is insane and should not happen, but how is it any different then a hotel or airport charging $4 for a 2 pack of Tylenol, or for that matter a hospital where the charge can be near $20 for 1

I have to disagree about this. I don't think its about being a captive audience or about ridiculous mark ups. The ship's gift shop is not a pharmacy. The cruise line as a whole will buy medication in very small quantities compared to pharmacies, drug stores, walmart etc. The ship's stores probably sell very little of it, and it does expire.

I do agree the price is high but its high at resorts and high at the airport. These are places that don't sell the volume to make it worth while, but they keep it on hand because some clients may need it.

I paid double for children's cold medicine at the Orlando airport. I paid regular price for it at a pharmacy in St Thomas. Now, I always pack children's decongestant and advil just in case.

The bad news is you can't remember to bring everything. The good news is there are quite a few items available in the gift shop. I may not like the prices, but then I do not shop at airport shops or resort gift shops often either. Maybe $6 for a beer is higher than I pay in a local watering hole but then I can't get my cheap beer at a local theater performance either or at a resort pool. I guess it is all relative and comes with the territory as far as I am concerned.

I have to disagree about this. I don't think its about being a captive audience or about ridiculous mark ups. The ship's gift shop is not a pharmacy. The cruise line as a whole will buy medication in very small quantities compared to pharmacies, drug stores, walmart etc. The ship's stores probably sell very little of it, and it does expire.

I do agree the price is high but its high at resorts and high at the airport. These are places that don't sell the volume to make it worth while, but they keep it on hand because some clients may need it.

I paid double for children's cold medicine at the Orlando airport. I paid regular price for it at a pharmacy in St Thomas. Now, I always pack children's decongestant and advil just in case.

Exactly. I totally agree.

I paid about $8 for Secret deoderant. I could be upset, but I forgot mine.. drat. I thought that was too high.
I am sure people were thankful that you sprang for the Secret.:eek:

I was amazed at the price of a can of Pringles.

In the end I always justify this "piracy" by thinking that this is how the crews lines keep the cabin prices relatively low.

I understand this doesn't diminish the feeling of being ripped-off .:(

I guess I think it's awesome they had the Nyquil at all!

Maybe I'm jaded, but we pay up to 200% plus for snacks (and sundries) in airports, theaters, hotel mini-fridges, convenience stores, and yes, cruise ships. I don't have a problem with it if I *really* need or want the item and didn't bring it with me.

But yeah, I'm an overpacker :cool: Anybody need Bandaids or Beano or Advil or Aquaphor? Have I got a deal for *you*! :D ;)

CVC doesn't have to haul their products, shop and personnel around the world in a ship ........burning lots of expensive oil......to have the Dayquil there for you when you need it.......;)

At a resort in Mexico (mayan riv) I paid $20 for a small pack of benadryl. Had I been willing to spend the $$$ (and time) to get a bus to go to Walmart in Playa del carmen 30 minutes away, I'm sure I could get it for $6 but I paid for the convenience of it all..

I got sick on the last few days of my cruise. I got stuck paying an arm and a leg too......BUT they know you need it, so they charge through the roof.

Next time, I will also be bring the whole bathroom cabinet with me. :cool:...I could actually set up shop and make bank:eek: JK

Archived