Change of airport and/or change of carrier?

24butterfly

Airfares are outrageous...Has anyone done this and what did u experience?

I have a chance to get a decent (albeit still ridiculous) airfare, but it entails CHANGING AIRPORTS IN LONDON from Heathrow to Gatwick, with a 4 hour and 40 minute layover in between.

The other option, is same airport, but different carriers---British Airways then changing to Air New Zealand. My worries are that the bags won't get to the other airline, and also there's a 6 hour layover so at that time there probably won't be a gate. We had that happen w/Delta transferring to Alitalia where Delta was early in Milan and Milan didn't have a gate ready, and Milan FORGOT to load our bags onto the Alitalia flight. Whatta nightmare from Alitalia (we did get our bags the next day--after I went to the airport on my own and checked!)

Thanks for your thoughts on this!

Are you talking about 2 separate tickets--1 for home to London and the other for London on to your destination? I wouldn't try that for overseas travel, I really think you are asking for trouble in the event of any kind of delay.

If you are all on one ticket and transferring airlines at the same airport, that is generally not troublesome at all, and is done all the time. That is the option I would choose, no question.

Change carriers at one airport, if those are the only two choices. The land trip between Gatwick and Heathrow isn't particularly difficult, but you will already be jet lagged, so who needs the hassle.

Is the airline you would change to at Heathrow a code share flight with your original airline? In that case, it should be pretty seamless.

But if you are looking at two separate tickets, in such a way that would require that you would be getting your bags, going through some sort of entry formalities and re-checking them, that would be a lot of hassle.

So, perhaps there is a third choice? Can you fly from LA to, say, New York, or Madrid (Iberia) or Paris (Air France), change planes there, and then go on to Rome directly?

Change carriers at one airport, if those are the only two choices. The land trip between Gatwick and Heathrow isn't particularly difficult, but you will already be jet lagged, so who needs the hassle.

Is the airline you would change to at Heathrow a code share flight with your original airline? In that case, it should be pretty seamless.

But if you are looking at two separate tickets, in such a way that would require that you would be getting your bags, going through some sort of entry formalities and re-checking them, that would be a lot of hassle.

So, perhaps there is a third choice? Can you fly from LA to, say, New York, or Madrid (Iberia) or Paris (Air France), change planes there, and then go on to Rome directly?

It might be a codeshare---British Airways and Air New Zealand. I'm just worried about a 6 hr layover and what will happen with the bags (see original post.) And it's change carriers at one airport (Heathrow).

The airlines have agreements about bag transfer that should make this work. Changing airports sounds like a nightmare.

My experiences with bag problems are LHR=0/2, FCO=2/3. At FCO (Rome), if your bag doesn't show up on the carousel, it can mean that they mistakenly put it into the bin for further transfer, something that can take them up to an hour to notice.

When this happened to me, I had just filled out the lost bag claim when a porter (not the people in the baggage office) happened to mention the transfer issue and advised waiting around. We did, and at exactly one hour after landing, there was the bag.

Hopefully, you will be flying to Rome at least one day early, just in case a flight gets delayed, luggage gets delayed, you fall asleep and miss the flight, or almost anything else.

I would not connect at Heathrow unless both planes use the same terminal and there is plenty of time. Six hours is probably ok....two hours is not. I also would not travel from Gatwick to Heathrow although as someone else noted, it's not a bad bus ride, but it is a general hassle that I don't want on a long flight. Actually, I really try to avoid the UK airports because of their absurd landing fees/taxes.

Check out some of the airlines that are never in search engines: Air Berlin (throught Dusseldorf) is a great airline that no one thinks about (or even knows about).. but not in any of the online searches. Air Canada is another sleeper and check always check Aer Lingus

I would echo what many have said...don't try to do two tickets and transfer luggage yourself...too much room for trouble when doing customs and international within EU.

You didn't mention when you were going? how far out? or what you felt was too high...

looking at April 2012 dates, FCO is about $400 higher than i have paid in the past 5 years (out of LAX)...and FCO is generally a high ticket compared to London or Paris. But looking at January to March 2012, they are about $1000 which is what i have paid for the past several years.

Do you have some time to wait and see if fares drop?

Have you looked at other European Cities and taking the train to Rome? We did that a couple years ago, visiting London, then taking the train to Germany. Was the same as flying direct to Germany and we got to see more sights...

Have you checked fares from east coast cities to FCO (JFK, DC, Boston, Miami, etc). Sometimes it's cheaper to fly there first and change carries on US soil.

Again, you didn't say when, but i personally would probably gamble and wait.... Risk: fares could go up and you could get crap seats! Reward: fares may drop several hundred dollars.

In my experience with numerous flights to FCO from LAX, around $1,000 is average, give or take $100 based on travel days. YMMV!

I would echo what many have said...don't try to do two tickets and transfer luggage yourself...too much room for trouble when doing customs and international within EU.

You didn't mention when you were going? how far out? or what you felt was too high...

looking at April 2012 dates, FCO is about $400 higher than i have paid in the past 5 years (out of LAX)...and FCO is generally a high ticket compared to London or Paris. But looking at January to March 2012, they are about $1000 which is what i have paid for the past several years.

Do you have some time to wait and see if fares drop?

Have you looked at other European Cities and taking the train to Rome? We did that a couple years ago, visiting London, then taking the train to Germany. Was the same as flying direct to Germany and we got to see more sights...

Have you checked fares from east coast cities to FCO (JFK, DC, Boston, Miami, etc). Sometimes it's cheaper to fly there first and change carries on US soil.

Again, you didn't say when, but i personally would probably gamble and wait.... Risk: fares could go up and you could get crap seats! Reward: fares may drop several hundred dollars.

In my experience with numerous flights to FCO from LAX, around $1,000 is average, give or take $100 based on travel days. YMMV!

Thank you to everyone who answered. Turns out, British airways and Air New Z are NOT code shares. There's only 2 hours or so in btwn flights. That would mean I'd have to take my luggage, etc., they might not be at the same terminal...If we missed the NZ flight, they would be under no obligation to retix us...

We would like to go in June--the end to catch a cruise. We'd fly in a day or 2 early. Fares range in about the $1800-1900 range.

I haven't given up yet--I'm still going to check out the lesser known airlines--thanks to the poster who gave the names--couldn't think of them....

Again, I thank all of you for your opinions. Couldn't sort through this thing without you.

If you're transferring airports, you have to take your luggage with you. There is then coach service to Gatwick. You have to then recheck your bags. It's like this no matter if it's one ticket, one airline. Same rules. 3 1/2 is the minimum recommended transfer time

A pain. Thanks.

Hopefully, you will be flying to Rome at least one day early, just in case a flight gets delayed, luggage gets delayed, you fall asleep and miss the flight, or almost anything else.

I would not connect at Heathrow unless both planes use the same terminal and there is plenty of time. Six hours is probably ok....two hours is not. I also would not travel from Gatwick to Heathrow although as someone else noted, it's not a bad bus ride, but it is a general hassle that I don't want on a long flight. Actually, I really try to avoid the UK airports because of their absurd landing fees/taxes.

Check out some of the airlines that are never in search engines: Air Berlin (throught Dusseldorf) is a great airline that no one thinks about (or even knows about).. but not in any of the online searches. Air Canada is another sleeper and check always check Aer Lingus

Have checked AC, they're about the same.....Will continue to play around. Thank you for your suggestions.

I've found hipmunk.com to be the easiest search engines for flights. We're doing SF through Heathrow into Rome on an American/British code share. No changing airports or carriers.

If you're on a RCCL product: Royal Carribean, Celebrity or Azamara, you can book for good rates at http://www.choiceair.com.

Bon voyage

Have you checked the Celebrity Choice Air site for quotes? The best deals I've seen there have been on international flights to catch a cruise and arriving a couple days early is no issue for them. Often the prices there are no big deal but sometimes they are a great find - definitely a place to check while fare shopping.

If you do find different options at similar cost, I always go for a transfer at a US airport which has direct flights to the final destination. For example there are few Chicago to Rome direct flights and if I can't find one I'd much rather find a flight from Chicago to an east coast hub like JFK, Newark or another hub and catch a direct flight from there to Rome than do my connection through a hub in Europe. The benefit is that you'll be connecting in the afternoon or evening at, or close to, your home time zone. Then you'll arrive in Rome early in the day. Connect in Europe and you're already jet-lagged when you connect and you won't arrive in Rome until much later in the day.

Where does everyone get the idea that the airline has to be the same or be in the same alliance for luggage to be transferred?? That has NEVER been the case. There are exceptions, of course, but most major airlines are IATA carriers and accept each other's luggage and air tickets. The airlines do NOT, repeat do NOT, have to be in the same alliance for luggage to be transferred.

You need some assistance - find a competent travel agent. You are making a mountain out of a molehill.

As for changing airports, that's a different story and I would avoid that one for sure.

I transferred airlines and terminals in LHR in July, and my first flight was late, leaving about an hour and 10 minutes for the transfer. The transfer bus came in less than 3 minutes, and on the bus they played a recorded announcement inviting passengers with one hour or less remaining transfer time to use a special express lane to go through security at the next terminal. By the time I was at my new terminal for the next leg of the trip, it was just an hour until my flight and I used the express lane. My luggage made the inter-line transfer just fine, and the airlines were not in the same group.

To further illustrate the point of the airlines not needing to be in the same "network," I had a transfer at CDG (Paris) from a small Alitalia flight to American Airlines. As we were getting off the Alitalia flight, we saw through the window a small pickup truck with American Airlines insignia drive up and fetch our bags directly from the baggage handlers on the tarmac. One of the bags made it home with us and the other got there the next day. I think that was pretty good for the least user-friendly airport (CDG) I've ever encountered!

I further agree with the poster who likes to transfer in the US and then take the direct flight to the European destination. This lets you do the transfer when you aren't exhausted yet. My Rome flight next month is a direct overnight from Chicago on American. I am of an age where I'll pay an extra hundred dollars not to leave home too early, arrive too late, have an impossibly long layover, change airports (and you have to watch the American Airlines New York City routings that want you to switch from LGA to JFK and vice versa.). Hipmunk is the very best website for viewing these situations, but it doesn't necessarily show all the flights.

I transferred airlines and terminals in LHR in July, and my first flight was late, leaving about an hour and 10 minutes for the transfer. The transfer bus came in less than 3 minutes, and on the bus they played a recorded announcement inviting passengers with one hour or less remaining transfer time to use a special express lane to go through security at the next terminal. By the time I was at my new terminal for the next leg of the trip, it was just an hour until my flight and I used the express lane. My luggage made the inter-line transfer just fine, and the airlines were not in the same group.

To further illustrate the point of the airlines not needing to be in the same "network," I had a transfer at CDG (Paris) from a small Alitalia flight to American Airlines. As we were getting off the Alitalia flight, we saw through the window a small pickup truck with American Airlines insignia drive up and fetch our bags directly from the baggage handlers on the tarmac. One of the bags made it home with us and the other got there the next day. I think that was pretty good for the least user-friendly airport (CDG) I've ever encountered!

I further agree with the poster who likes to transfer in the US and then take the direct flight to the European destination. This lets you do the transfer when you aren't exhausted yet. My Rome flight next month is a direct overnight from Chicago on American. I am of an age where I'll pay an extra hundred dollars not to leave home too early, arrive too late, have an impossibly long layover, change airports (and you have to watch the American Airlines New York City routings that want you to switch from LGA to JFK and vice versa.). Hipmunk is the very best website for viewing these situations, but it doesn't necessarily show all the flights.

Totally agree w/u. Have been trying to transfer in the US. As it turned out, the Brit Air and Air New Z are NOT codeshare, and, if we were late for the Air NZ flight, Air NZ would not have to rebook us. 2 separate tix.

I've found hipmunk.com to be the easiest search engines for flights. We're doing SF through Heathrow into Rome on an American/British code share. No changing airports or carriers.

If you're on a RCCL product: Royal Carribean, Celebrity or Azamara, you can book for good rates at http://www.choiceair.com.

Bon voyage

Thanks--they won't let me log on--I'm not an agent....Help???

I just used "skyauctions" to bid on a one way ticket LAX to Heathrow, for my October Transatlantic. I paid a total of $479 for Virgin Atlantic. I was only able to choose the day, not the time. I will then purchase a ticket at Heathrow when I land, as I do not want to miss my connection. The jump from Heathrow to Rome is the same price no matter when you buy it, as I have done this before.

I spoke with Virgin about going standby for the earlier from LAX and they said to arrive at the airport a few hours before the flight and I might get lucky! The auction website did have other flights from LAX to Rome, but I wanted to choose the airline. I know that "flying by the seat of your pants" is not for everyone, but it works for some. I can always have a one day visit in London and have the fish and chips at F & M.

Where does everyone get the idea that the airline has to be the same or be in the same alliance for luggage to be transferred?? That has NEVER been the case. There are exceptions, of course, but most major airlines are IATA carriers and accept each other's luggage and air tickets. The airlines do NOT, repeat do NOT, have to be in the same alliance for luggage to be transferred.

You need some assistance - find a competent travel agent. You are making a mountain out of a molehill.

As for changing airports, that's a different story and I would avoid that one for sure.

Please go back and read my original post. As experienced a traveller as I am, there are still some things that I have not dealt with and requested other experienced travellers opinions.

That's what these boards are for.

Sorry you think a mountain was made out of a mole hill.

Archived