Considering a cruise to Alaska

GAMOM4

We have only cruised out of Florida and only on Carnival - but are considering booking a cruise to Alaska sometime next year. It would take over 5 days to drive to Seattle so we would have to fly out there....I have never flown before and airline tickets are almost as much as a cruise (not quite...but really expensive). Some people we know just got back from their first Alaskan cruise and they went on the Norwegian cruise line and said that they let the cruise line book their airline reservations and all...said they loved it. For someone that is going for the first time is that the best way to do it? They said that someone from the cruise line met them at the airport and took them to the port..they flew in the same day it sailed and they flew out the same day they got back. I have tried to look at different prices of the different cruise lines that go to Alaska..but I can't tell that big of a difference..they all look expensive.

What suggestions would the people on this board that are experienced with the Alaska cruises recommend? It would be just me and my husband.

This is where your homework will serve you well.

First, AK is an expensive cruise, period. So figure out what type of cabin you want, and look at the dates! May is still cool up there, Sept is the END OF THE SEASON and might be snowy!

Now, looking in to airfares that will make anyone go grey. You might be better off booking your on your own, that way you can get in a day early and be safe if you are rerouted or delayed due to weather. Then you also have to figure in the cost of the hotel.

You can see what NCL will charge for their air package. Yes, it is really nice just to be able to leave all that hassle to NCL, but you don't get to choose your flight nor airline. They might route you on a flight with a layover somewhere instead of a non-stop. Its nice to be met at the airport and not have to worry about getting to the port, but is it worth it? Only you can truly decide. (Make sure the ground transport is included in that fare option!!)

Once you have figured out if you want to pay NCL to book your or you can do cheaper by yourself and have to make ALL the arrangements it is up to you.

I will add that I did let NCL do my flights for a transatlantic because they actually came out a bit cheaper than what I would have had to pay for ground transport to Dover from London as well as to MCO from Port Canavaral.

We have only cruised out of Florida and only on Carnival - but are considering booking a cruise to Alaska sometime next year. It would take over 5 days to drive to Seattle so we would have to fly out there....I have never flown before and airline tickets are almost as much as a cruise (not quite...but really expensive). Some people we know just got back from their first Alaskan cruise and they went on the Norwegian cruise line and said that they let the cruise line book their airline reservations and all...said they loved it. For someone that is going for the first time is that the best way to do it? They said that someone from the cruise line met them at the airport and took them to the port..they flew in the same day it sailed and they flew out the same day they got back. I have tried to look at different prices of the different cruise lines that go to Alaska..but I can't tell that big of a difference..they all look expensive.

What suggestions would the people on this board that are experienced with the Alaska cruises recommend? It would be just me and my husband.

I am planning to make my 3rd cruise to Alaska on May 13, 2012 on The Norwegian Pearl. It will be the first cruise of the season out of Seattle. For what you would spend in gas, meals, hotel, you could spend almost if not more than the airfare. You can get a package from NCL that includes the airfare. When I leave from Miami, my traveler agent can usually find a better airline price or a better flight schedule. I always get transfers from NCL either from the hotel to the port (I always go in the day before) and from the port to the airport. It is really good deal. It is called get on the bus and let them battle the traffic. I love The Pearl. I am leaving in a few days for my 11th cruise on Her. You will love Alaska. Mandy

You will never regret a cruise to Alaska. We did the Pearl in 2008 and loved it. Glacier Bay is incredible. We took Southwest Airlines from Dallas and we had our hotel booked with NCL the day before the cruise. I always recommend going a day before. We stayed at an independent hotel for 2 days afterwards in Seattle. It was great as well. I liked this cruise more than any of the others. Well, we did love Europe; but Alaska is awesome, and much more relaxing. It was just 2 of us as well.

Out of Fla, you should have a Southwest flight opportunity. Other airlines may have the same, but get on their email notification list and watch for sale prices to Seattle. Have to plan well in advance though. Fly in day before. Can return home probably on day cruise arrives back in Seattle.

Yes to taking an Alaska cruise! It's BEAUTIFUL!

And yes to booking air travel with the cruiseline if you are at all anxious about things. They will book your flights and get you from the airport to the ship without you needing to worry about figuring anything out.

Sometimes it's a bit like being back in kindergarten :D with the teacher having everyone get in a line and march to the bus, but you won't have to worry so much and you get very clear instructions about what you do need to do. Plus if you buy trip insuance through NCL your air travel is covered on that as well I think. The air travel might actually cheaper because they do bulk travel purchases too.

Just from a differant point of view, we drove from PA last summer to Seattle for our AK cruise. It was a long drive yes, but if you have never done it and have the time, you see some awesome things driving across country if you are 'in' to that kind of thing. I personally love travelling in any way shape or form. Also, being a terrible person who can't limit my packing, it was easier to load the car then to try to either pay luggage overages. Money wise, from the east coast..it may have cost us about the same flying vs. driving aside from the time factor.

Alaska is one of those things that cannot be missed, we were blessed with a perfect week of sun and just one drizzly morning. In short, LOVED the whole experience.

Just back from the 9/4 sailing of the Norwegian Pearl out of Seattle. We loved it, as we enjoyed the scenery, the ship and the full experience. We lucked out on great weather. We flew out of Salt Lake, got great rates (booked early). We stayed in Seattle 2 days before the ship sailed, so added to the cost, but don't think we'd have changed a thing, was fully worth the cost of all involved.

Everything already said is spot on - AK is expensive - leaving from Seattle is cheaper than Vancouver (esp if flying).

If you have FFM or credit card rewards points now would be the time to use them. I have not used NCL for any travel - living in PDX I either drive or take Amtrak. When we went to Hawaii we flew directly from PDX to the islands instead of going through SFX as the NCL plan would have had us done. We also flew Hawaiian Airlines and had royal treatment. The only advantage I have seen is if you are on their flights they will hold the ship if you are late and they arrange the transfers - however a good TA can also do that.

I am not sure how you do with jet lag - I have more problems going west to east but some people have problems east to west. Depending on the cruise line there are ships leaving on Fri, Sat, or Sun. With any of them you can easily get flights that even with delays would get you to the ship on time - allow at least an hour to get from the airport to the dock. You might want to stay an extra day on the end of the cruise so you don't arrive home in the middle of the night (unless you do sleep well on planes)

If you have the time to drive, but don't want the hassle of driving consider Amtrak - there are several options coming from Fla to see lots of country - I read where NCL has discount fares for Amtrak too. (I am looking into this for my next cruise)

All of the cruises spend the first day and up to a day and a half at sea so you can catch up on rest and explore the ship. This is where a balcony room is really great as there is wonderful scenery on both sides of the ship so you can sit back and watch it all go by with a cold (or hot) one in your hand.

The port towns are a mix of wonderful culture, history, wildlife, and tourist traps. Pick what you want to see and go for it. To get a sample of the port towns and tours go here: http://cruiseportinsider.com/index.html

Use the videos to take a virtual port tour - or decide if that tour is right for you. You could also use this to pick what ports you want to visit and find the ships that go there.

I am going to see Glacier Bay for the first time in 2012 - have heard it is wonderful - saw Sawyer Glaciers and Tracy Arm twice nice but you never seem to be able to get close to the main glacier. Glacier Bay has a limited number of cruise ship permits-NCL has one and uses it for the Pearl.

Time of year - we have always gone in late June - if you look at the weather averages for all of the ports, late June and July are the best times you are also dealing with longer daylight which is kind of neat.

Don't take me wrong but please come prepared for the weather - We cruised with people from FL, TX, and NV who did not come prepared for what they considered freezing cold weather - we had to hold up one of our tours because a couple was searching the shops near the ship for warm clothes and yes when I visit FL, TX, and NV I boil over - it is all what you are used to - take a look at places like LL Bean, Columbia, North Face etc - you can always sell the stuff on e-bay when you get back.

I am planning to make my 3rd cruise to Alaska on May 13, 2012 on The Norwegian Pearl. It will be the first cruise of the season out of Seattle. For what you would spend in gas, meals, hotel, you could spend almost if not more than the airfare. You can get a package from NCL that includes the airfare. When I leave from Miami, my traveler agent can usually find a better airline price or a better flight schedule. I always get transfers from NCL either from the hotel to the port (I always go in the day before) and from the port to the airport. It is really good deal. It is called get on the bus and let them battle the traffic. I love The Pearl. I am leaving in a few days for my 11th cruise on Her. You will love Alaska. Mandy

We are also traveling on the Pearl on 5/13/12. We have a roll call already set up for this sailing, please come join us (if you haven't already). FYI, I am finding airfares from Orlando for $327.00 pp with a layover in each direction. Not wonderful pricing, but probably less expensive than NCL would charge.

We are also traveling on the Pearl on 5/13/12. We have a roll call already set up for this sailing, please come join us (if you haven't already). FYI, I am finding airfares from Orlando for $327.00 pp with a layover in each direction. Not wonderful pricing, but probably less expensive than NCL would charge.

Tell me more about The Veterans cruise. I am a veteran (Oregon Army National Guard 1976) and my late husband retired as M/Sgt. (20 years 1 Vietnam). My e mail address is:mandychurch_65@yahoo.com Thanks Mandy

We flew from Cincinnati to Anchorage rented a car and drove to Denali National Park all the first day, May 29th. It was still daylight at 11PM when we arrived. Stayed in the Park for 2 days drove back to Anchorage then took the Alaskan Railroad to Seward where we set sail.

Both times we did Alaska, we went 3-4 days in advance and spent time in Seattle. That also takes out the chance of missing the boat if the flights are messed up. Even if you book with NCL and the flights do not get there in time, you still miss the ship. Not fun.

I would almost always book my own flights. Just us.

Carnival Spirit Sails on Tuesday, September 11, 2012. Just found starting Balcony at $1099 pp. Glacier Bay itinerary, which is the best. Only killer is that it departs Seattle, leaves you in Vancouver, Canada. For Seattleites, that's annoying, but for you that would be great. You would get to see both cities. Being Carnival cruisers, you would get the past-passenger discount. Big sale going on at Carnival right now.

You can take Amtrak from Vancouver back to Seattle. Call it a mini tour.

NCL Pearl is expensive now; the Jewell is even more. Don't understand that since the Pearl is newer.

Fly Southwest if you can. No baggage fees. Alaska Airlines now charges $40 for one checked bag RT. Apparently, though, that is about the cheapest. Stay at the airport (SeaTac) at a 3-star hotel for about $55-$70 by bidding at Priceline. Wait till close to stay date, though, to bid. The Doubletree at the airport is terrific. Paid $65 in August (still high season) bidding at Priceline.

Make a shuttle reservation with Seattle Express online after you get your hotel. (206 793-8430.) $12 each way per person. Pay the driver. They take credit cards. Bus will pick you up at your hotel and deliver you directly to Pier 66. About a 30-minute drive. Another mini tour!

Oh, it is not that cold in September. You just need sweaters and jackets. A light raincoat and good walking shoes. Don't overdo the packing. One learns after a cruise or two. Leave the ballgown and tux at home. Men don't even really need a sportcoat. All that stuff just costs money to take on the plane. Pack a lunch for the plane. You might get a free non-alcoholic drink, but baby, that's about all!!

Sign up at a fare watch online site. They'll send you emails about airline fares.

GQ just reported that Seattleites are among the worst dressed because of all the flannel, etc! Funny. :D:D

Tell me more about The Veterans cruise. I am a veteran (Oregon Army National Guard 1976) and my late husband retired as M/Sgt. (20 years 1 Vietnam). My e mail address is:mandychurch_65@yahoo.com Thanks Mandy

The Veterans program seems to change occasionally, but is at the following link.

http://www2.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/military

Find a good travel agent who is Alaska certified and let them work with you to make sure you pick the right cruise and get you the best price. You then have someone who can help you through all the steps. If they have no idea about the ports you are visiting and what to do there then find another agent. A good one will make your vacation a dream to remember.

There are some incredible deals available in flights and cruises and you do not need to do all the work yourself.

We are considering an Alaskan cruise. The difference between an OV and balcony is significant. Is it too chilly to enjoy a balcony?

You just don't know. We had 75/80 degrees and sunny on our Alaska cruise, first week of June a while back, but that was most unusual. Even chilly, I'd still want balcony for standing out and looking....just bundle up some.

We are considering an Alaskan cruise. The difference between an OV and balcony is significant. Is it too chilly to enjoy a balcony?

Alaska is one itinerary where I would say a balcony or good ocean view room is certainly worth the cost. The scenery is spectacular, even while "at sea" in the inside passage. If the weather is cold, you won't want to be up on deck, but can step out onto your balcony, then dash inside when you get too cold. Or watch the passing scenery from inside.

We have been to Alaska twice, in May and September (we're cheap, and will risk the weather issues). Both times we have had spectacular weather, with rain only in one port. A co-worker went in July the same year we went in May and had rain every day. You just don't know.

To the OP: I always book airfare myself and buy my own trip insurance that covers airfare and the cruise. When we did our European cruise on the Jade, we paid more for airfare than the cruise! And it was a very long flight from Los Angeles to Barcelona.

You do want to allow enough time to get there, even with flight delays. NCL doesn't guarantee that they will get you there ... they are not responsible for a failure by the airline, even if you buy the airfare through them. The trip insurance will reimburse you for the cost of joining the ship at the next port, but I think you have to pay up front for that. If you don't join the ship at the next port, you often forfeit the insurance coverage.

I always fly in at least a day early. I have bought the NCL transfers from the hotel to the port in some cases, but in others we handle it ourselves. As long as you allow some time, it becomes part of the adventure.

My 2cents is if you are only going to do Alaska but once do it right.

THe most important thing is the scenic crusing, find a ship that does Glacier Bay. If you already are going to suck the price of a flight consider the slight premium of a one way cruise. WIth one way you get more scenic cruising time, well worth it.

If there is a place to save money its on the cabin. People make a lot of noise about having to have a balcony. I guess I'm a frugal guy and think the free view space and money saved lends to be better spent on excursion, flight or the right cruise.

Happy planning!

The Pearl to Alaska is the way to go! It is a gorgeous ship, and you cruise Glacier Bay. Round trip from Seattle makes the airfare slightly reasonable. Plus, Seattle is a great town to spend a few extra days.:) We had an inside cabin and did not miss the balcony. We like to walk around a mingle, we are not the types to sit still for more than a few minutes. I recommend the Pearl to Alaska to any first timers to Alaska. You can't go wrong.

We will be on the Pearl along with the Veterans group. It will be my 6th cruise and my wife's 5th. Our group is just a bunch of people that enjoy being together with the camaraderie we share and enjoy, it is great. You are welcome to join us:D

Archived