Important Notice RE: 9/28 Golden Cruise out of L.A.

mikjr

IMPORTANT NOTICES

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: EMBARKATION UPDATE

Golden Princess will be arriving late into Los Angeles due to inclement weather conditions. At this time, there is no impact to your cruise itinerary. However, due to the late arrival, cruise check-in on Wednesday, September 28, is scheduled to begin at 2:00 pm. To ensure a smooth start to your voyage, we will operate a staggered check-in schedule. Please arrive at your scheduled check-in time as noted below, determined by your deck and cabin number. Due to security regulations, passengers arriving prior to their check-in time will not be allowed to enter the port and will be asked to return at their scheduled time.

2:00 PM - Caribe Deck / Cabins C101 - C753 2:45 PM - Baja, Fiesta & Lido Deck /Cabins B201-B751, F301-F315, L201-L312 3:30 PM - Dolphin & Emerald Deck / Cabins D103 - D737 & E101 - E733 4:15 PM - Aloha & Plaza Deck / Cabins A201 - A749 & P201 - P337

Not a huge surprise. They've had awful weather with high winds in the northwest; this means that even with the ship's engines at full speed, their forward speed isn't that fast. I've had that happen to me and we arrived a couple of hours late in port because wind and tides were against the ship.

I saw a post on the Roll Calls from someone that is currently on the Golden . They said it was very rough, to the point water was splashing up against the windows. And then they hit FOG! I've been on a cruise with fog, and it's a bit eerie.

The Golden is due in at 10am. That's going to throw a lot of peoples schedules off!

We are boaters on Lake Michigan and have been stuck in numerous ports for several days. Weather can change very fast. We always keep an eye on the weather when cruising and don't go out if it is questionable. You have to learn to just go with the flow. Oceans are nothing to mess with. I feel sorry for the people on both ends. Missed flights are a big headache and then the people that are anxious to get on the ship. Another good reason to have insurance. It's never happened to us but I wonder if any of the hotels near the port allow you to stay in your room longer. What do you do for four hours?

It's kind of like a doctor's visit. I don't mind long waits anymore because the doctors are never in a hurry to push me out of the exam room and they take the time to answer all of my questions.

We are boaters on Lake Michigan and have been stuck in numerous ports for several days. Weather can change very fast. We always keep an eye on the weather when cruising and don't go out if it is questionable. You have to learn to just go with the flow. Oceans are nothing to mess with. I feel sorry for the people on both ends. Missed flights are a big headache and then the people that are anxious to get on the ship. Another good reason to have insurance. It's never happened to us but I wonder if any of the hotels near the port allow you to stay in your room longer. What do you do for four hours?

It's kind of like a doctor's visit. I don't mind long waits anymore because the doctors are never in a hurry to push me out of the exam room and they take the time to answer all of my questions.

You've got that right...North Channel of Lake Huron for us:)

Wondering how that would work with people who have flights to catch back home and paid for the transfer pkg.

If the have a transfer package to the airport, they will be transferred. If they have an early flight, they may miss it.

If they booked the flights through Princess, I would assume Princess would help/reschedule and be responsible for any costs involved with missed flights. If they booked the flights themselves, they will have to work with the airline directly - hopefully they have flexible tickets or travel insurance since it could mean a new ticket depending on the airline.

The people who have traveled early, have not heard about he Weather in Alaska, and do not have the capabiliity to check the Princess web site, etc, will be in for a shock when they arrive at the port at 11:00 AM and are turned away at the gate.

With out some prior planning, hanging around for four hours or so would not be fun.

Bob

The people who have traveled early, have not heard about he Weather in Alaska, and do not have the capabiliity to check the Princess web site, etc, will be in for a shock when they arrive at the port at 11:00 AM and are turned away at the gate.

With out some prior planning, hanging around for four hours or so would not be fun.

Bob

Princess did a heck of a job in letting me know what was going on. I was contacted FOUR different ways from Princess... 1) Email; 2) Recorded phone message; 3) Text on my Cell phone; 4) and finally... an email from my T/A.

But you are probably right... I'm sure there may be a few disappointed and surprised folks!

The Golden is due in at 10am. That's going to throw a lot of peoples schedules off!

Wondering how that would work with people who have flights to catch back home and paid for the transfer pkg.

it will be tough, but it can't be helped. When weather is an issue there is nothing that can be done. The most important thing is: everyone makes it back safely.

NIta

Princess did a heck of a job in letting me know what was going on. I was contacted FOUR different ways from Princess... 1) Email; 2) Recorded phone message; 3) Text on my Cell phone; 4) and finally... an email from my T/A.

But you are probably right... I'm sure there may be a few disappointed and surprised folks!

It's good to know, thanks for sharing with us. Mike, it was fun sailing with you last year! Please let us know how the first sailing of the season goes. Have a wonderful cruise!

Nina (formerly funinla)

We were on the Coral from Vancouver to San Francisco, and left the day before the Golden (we'd actually received a move over to the Golden that we couldn't use), and we were 3 hours late into SF due to the same weather. We got in around 12;30 pm (due in at 10am).

I'm sure some in SF were also in for a surprise.

Fortunately for us, we live in the SF area, so no flight problems.

We were on the Golden. We got off at 10:30am. Princess worked with everyone to

change flights. It was pretty rough all day Monday. They reduced speed to 14Kts

We were on deck 11 forward and the spray was going above us.

Some windows were broken.

However, it is now 11:30pm and the Golden is still in port. My guess would be that

some other problems with the ship were found.

Greg

We were on the Golden. We got off at 10:30am. Princess worked with everyone to

change flights. It was pretty rough all day Monday. They reduced speed to 14Kts

We were on deck 11 forward and the spray was going above us.

Some windows were broken.

However, it is now 11:30pm and the Golden is still in port. My guess would be that

some other problems with the ship were found.

Greg

Was in the same van as Greg - 2 out of the 3 of us with flights starting at 12:30 made it - still haven't heard from the 3rd couple. Traffic & airport security were light fortunately or we wouldn't have even made our 1:10 PM flight.

There were huge lines of folks in front of Passenger Services even at 10 PM the night before landfall, but hardly any in the morning. Surprised we haven't heard from folks on board yet....

we too were on board, i have sailed 30 times and this was the worst seas I have ever seen, the storm was all over the North West, even B.C. ferries cancelled crossings. Because of the high winds numerous large windows were smashed on Promenade deck (at least 4) and Lido deck around pool area (counted 4 that night).

We figured we would be late into LA, and when the announcement came over the speaker at noon on Tuesday that we would be late Wed in LA people started scrambling.

We had to change our flight, thankfully we got an email off to our friend and she go us on a 240 flight.

Line ups at the Purser's desk were long all day and night with numerous issues. Our friend from the purser's desk did inform us that they were allowing passengers to phone to make changes for their flights, and were crediting internet minutes.

We did have to deal with a boarding change - we had to board at the new convention centre and then were loaded into buses shipped to Ballyntyne. We received notice from our travel adgent about this change but many people didn't get this information. Which is surprising since we were notified two times.

vickie

Archived