breaking euros

jelenedra

Have a question regarding larger euro denominations. Is the pursers office able to make change for euro bills? Sailing on the Ruby....but do have time beforehand to find a local bank if I have to. Thanks!

They will direct you to the ATM where the exchange rate will be awful. You will also pay a service fee of $3.95.

We were on the Crown this past May and I also had a couple 100 Euro bills. I also asked if they could break it down to smaller bills and was told they couldn't that they don't have Euro's there. So I would suggest either take it to your bank and have them take care of it or have fun shopping in Rome!!! Truly, I think that would be my option. I had no problem when I used my large bills, as long as it wasn't for something small like a gelato.

Have fun!

Some 50 Euro cent coins would be handy too..for the bano, servicios, servizi, toiletten, etc, you know..the WC, the rest rooms, the ladies and gents, THE JOHN ! LOL.

you know what I mean, to get past the 'dragon ladies' guarding the doorways to the said establishments. And those 'dragon ladies' are tough cookies as most of us know who have visited Europe.

Even on a Princess Shorex one has those demands.

Now that one had me laughing! And that is exactly why I wish I had change! Are there any free potties in Italy? I guess thats a whole nother thread!

I'll see if our driver can wait a bit while we get change at the airport, maybe that could work.I suppose even if we had gotten money from the ATMs there, we'd still have the same issue...needing small bills and coins.

Thanks all!

Now that one had me laughing! And that is exactly why I wish I had change! Are there any free potties in Italy? I guess thats a whole nother thread!

I'll see if our driver can wait a bit while we get change at the airport, maybe that could work.I suppose even if we had gotten money from the ATMs there, we'd still have the same issue...needing small bills and coins.

Thanks all!

May I ask why you want to change it? Obviously you bought too much, but they don't expire. Just use them the next time. I have euros left over from last year which will come in handy when I arrive in Rome on the 14th.

Thanks all!

You could always pay your driver with a 100E note. We never took a cab that was less than 30E!

As for the WC, any good hotel or restaurant should have (free) western style bathrooms. We like to have a glass of wine or beer in the afternoons and rest our feet while people watching. I always take advantage of that opportunity to check out the facilities.:D

The OP does not want to convert currency just get smaller denominations. My past experience is that this is another one of those things that will vary from ship to ship. However, they most likely will not have coins but MAY have smaller denominations of bills. Best bet is to stop at a cafe in port and buy a drink or pastry and get change.

Yeah that ^ betterthanworking.... I tried to ask for small denominations, but they gave me more 50's than anything else. I didn't want to be stuck somewhere having to pay more than was necessary because I didn't have change...like the 50c potty :p or worse, wanting to tip our driver 5 or 10e, and having to ask him to give me 40 of it back :o

@5326jan....pretty much everything on our trip is already paid for, so we only need to tip him. Thanks for the cab heads up...we'll need to grab one the last day, so its good to know about how much they run. And I'm going to like picking up a few snacks here and there! I can taste the cappuccino and gelato already!!

Yeah that ^ betterthanworking.... I tried to ask for small denominations, but they gave me more 50's than anything else. I didn't want to be stuck somewhere having to pay more than was necessary because I didn't have change...like the 50c potty :p or worse, wanting to tip our driver 5 or 10e, and having to ask him to give me 40 of it back :o

@5326jan....pretty much everything on our trip is already paid for, so we only need to tip him. Thanks for the cab heads up...we'll need to grab one the last day, so its good to know about how much they run. And I'm going to like picking up a few snacks here and there! I can taste the cappuccino and gelato already!!

There seems to be a lot of people on this forum who cannot read or cannot comprehend. It is hard to get a real answer for anything here, just supposition!

the best place to break 100 euros is at your hotel, or in a grocery store (coop) the bills there, will most likely be real. be careful in rome. we have seen many tourist get tricked, especially with coins. turkish coins that look simular. also scams on paper money, sepecially where tourists hang out. if you are at the airport they have a banks, also several stores, but be careful. examine your change.

Archived