Compare Regent vs Crystal

ctemkg

Hi. We have cruised on Regent several times. We have received a good amount of advertising from Crystal recently. Can anyone offer a comparison of Regent and Crystal? It would help in deciding if we should give it a try. I know nothing about Crystal except they say they are a luxury line.

The good things about Regent for us have been:

the smaller ships, 450-750 or so passengers.

balcony suites

all inclusive. Not nickeled and dimed every minute of the trip.

very restful and relaxing atmosphere. We do not feel rushed. Being able to relax and not feel that there are hundreds of people around is important.

The bad things about Regent for us:

Single supplement. We end up getting 2 cabins, both with singles. So, it ends up very expensive.

Thanks for your comments.

Am certain someone who has sailed both will soon post (Harbormaster, PaulaJK, Mimito4). We recently booked our first Crystal cruise--actually a spring crossing in March 2012, to help us catch our Voyager Middle East itinerary in late March. What attracted us to Crystal now, having only sailed on Regent and Silversea multiple times--besides the super price ($130pp)--Crystal beginning with our sailing becomes all inclusive (free wine and spirits, open bars in all lounges and prepaid tips for housekeeping, dining and bar staff). Also, if you care to dine when you want their Open Dining option allows you to reserve the table size you want and time you want to dine (tho you have to reserve your table every night) If you prefer you can choose an early (6:30Pm or late 8:30pm) dining option. Believe Crystal's single sup is 25%.

Crystal allows you to make your final payment early (2.5% discount of fare). Thus, you are then able to you their online Priority Check-in and Planning Center--this frankly

is the most outstanding online luxury cruise booking service we have used. We look forward to trying our first Crystal cruise.

Also recommend you start a similar thread on the Crystal board to get the views of those on the Crystal board who have sailed both lines.

Frankly, believe you can't go wrong with either line.

Edited by Colonel(Ret.)Wes

I was a regular on Regent but jumped ship when the base single supplement nearly doubled from 40% to 75%.

Crystal consistently has great single supplements, though the 25% supplement does not yield a balcony.

Silversea is worth a look. For their vista (window only) suites they rarely go above 50% single supplement (unless the cruise is selling very well) and generally have a number of supplements at 25% and some (rarely) at 10%. A nice thing about Silversea is that they display the current single supplement charge on the "Fares" page for each cruise.

We did a couple of Crystal cruises when my parents were still able to travel but after our first Radisson we never went back to Crystal. The standard cabins are small and the bathrooms even smaller. They do have something's that are better than Regent, the coffee/snack area is great and their speakers tend to be better. Overall, more people, more formal and just not a comfortable to us.

Which one? Crystal or Regent? Oh, what a problem to have! ;)

Seriously.

We have cruised both now, and I would say that if someone pushed me in a corner and threatened by force to get me to say which is "better," I'd honestly have to throw my hands up in surrender.

They're incredibly different lines. Culturally, that is. Each cruise line, be it a luxury line, or a mass market line like Carnival, has a different culture. . .speaks a different language, has different habits, if you will. It doesn't make one better than the other.

Crystal is more formal, and there is no denying that. Some people like that all the time. . .some just some of the time. The food is fabulous, the service is amazing, the standard staterooms are small (look up the sq ft. on line).

Their policies are very customer-oriented. In other words, they have taught their staff to say YES. Always. Their communication with their customers is great. As Wes said, the on-line pre-cruise experience is second to none.

Love their early payment incentive (the 2.5% discount). And even though they didn't used to be all inclusive (I believe their all-inclusiveness goes into effect in 2012?), they actually were all inclusive, with their "as you wish shipboard credit," and that was perfect for non-drinkers.

I also understand that their single supplement is the best in the industry. I agree with Wendy, if I were booking a single, I'd look for the best possible price, assuming the culture of the line met mine. Duh.

Here is what I find just a tiny problematic these days about Crystal. I think they're trying to play in 2 different playgrounds at the same time, meaning, they still have formal, traditional dining (2 seatings), and this new dine when you want (by reservations). It isn't true dine when you want like Regent has. I think they'll get it figured out, but in the meantime, I scratch my head a bit at the thought of it.

Now, as for Regent, I loved, loved, loved the standard stateroom size, layout and amenities. The general service throughout the ship was as equally spectacular as Crystal. . .crew is as well-trained and service oriented. I did much prefer the specialty restaurants on Crystal. Food was simply better in my opinion. Food in the main dining room of Regent was great, equal to Crystal most of the time.

For the Alaskan itinerary, I loved the more casual environment of Regent. Still, people dressed for dinner (aka elegantly casual or some such thing. . .much like people here in Cincinnati would dress when going out to a nice restaurant).

I found our fellow passengers to be very similar on both lines. . .over all, very congenial, intelligent, well spoken and well traveled. This is very important to us because we tend to be social most days and enjoy meeting like-minded people and spending time with them.

So, for me, it comes down to formal vs elegantly casual. I may want to be more formal when the ship is the destination (say, an ocean crossing), whereas, if I am going to be in Alaska or the Caribbean or the Med, I might prefer more casual. There are ways around each concept on either line.

Bottom line: neither is better. They are both great. If you are in a position to cruise either line, you are a very fortunate person.

We've been on Crystal, Regent and Silversea. I agree nearly 100% with Mimito4 on Crystal vs. Regent. However, we've found we really like Anytime Dining. Crystal is trying something like that, but it's advanced reservations (months in advance!). In 2012 they're going to all-inclusive (like the other luxury lines). Cabins are definitely smaller. Ships are 50% to 100% larger than Regent, but still relatively small. The entertainment in the main show lounge at night on Crystal is far and away the best of all the luxury lines. Note: if you want formal, sail on Silversea -- they are VERY formal!

We haven't been on Seabourn yet, but want to. I'd try Seabourn before I'd go back to Crystal or Silversea. And I'd give the nod to Regent over Crystal, barely.

Since Silversea has been mentioned already on this thread. I strongly recommend trying Silversea (particularly on the Silver Whisper or Shadow). You don't have to wait for it to be all-inclusive since it already is (with one speciality restaurant as an exception).

As Mimito4 mentioned, Crystal does not have true open seating and is not advertising it in the future. Until I read reviews of the new all-inclusive Crystal, we'll stick with Regent and Silversea.

Painthorse,

Thank you so much for being concerned about the quality of my day. It warms my heart that you all in rural Texas are so compassionate about other peoples' needs. Good to know!

All I was saying btw is that there is a wealth of comparisons out there for anyone to look into should they wish.

We have sailed on both Crystal and Regent this year. Crystal 14 days on each of their ships and Regent 16 and 22 days on Voyager and Mariner....We found Crystal not to be to our liking. The Crystal board is the only one I am aware of that talks in specific cruise numbers rather than destinations and dates...If you are fully Crystalized you will know the code. It is the only cruiseline we have ever sailed on that people feel compelled to tell you how many times they have cruised on Crystal,often when first introduced....Their "Open dining by reservation" is a joke..There are many, many good things about Crystal. the lecturers etc....But they have nothing comparable to Prime7 or Signatures. If you enjoy Sushi and Sashimi then their Asian restaurant will be to your liking. Give me the relaxed atmosphere of Regent and the passenger mix that enjoys themselves and others without having their nose above all others.....:cool:

Based on a few of the comments here, it seems Regent gives a more relaxed atmosphere, which is very important to us. We do like to mingle, yet like the casual relaxing environment on Regent. Part of the reason we like cruising is that it gives us a chance to unwind from the stress of work. I do not think I would want to go more formal.

Now, if Regent would only give us single supplement cruisers a better rate, that would be great.

I think I started out cruising towards the top. My first cruise was with Regent, so everything else since on other lines has not been as relaxing.

We have sailed on both Crystal and Regent this year. Crystal 14 days on each of their ships and Regent 16 and 22 days on Voyager and Mariner....We found Crystal not to be to our liking. The Crystal board is the only one I am aware of that talks in specific cruise numbers rather than destinations and dates...If you are fully Crystalized you will know the code. It is the only cruiseline we have ever sailed on that people feel compelled to tell you how many times they have cruised on Crystal,often when first introduced....Their "Open dining by reservation" is a joke..There are many, many good things about Crystal. the lecturers etc....But they have nothing comparable to Prime7 or Signatures. If you enjoy Sushi and Sashimi then their Asian restaurant will be to your liking. Give me the relaxed atmosphere of Regent and the passenger mix that enjoys themselves and others without having their nose above all others.....:cool:

Rob....

Same here..you said it as if I wrote it.....when the flogging begins, I will share with you. :D

Well I guess Silversea or Seabourn will not be to your liking either.

We did open dining on Crystal and it was not an issue and this was without reservations. Table for two....no problem.

Yes, you do have a few formal nights,but most of them are casual or informal.

Well I guess Silversea or Seabourn will not be to your liking either.

We did open dining on Crystal and it was not an issue and this was without reservations. Table for two....no problem.

Yes, you do have a few formal nights,but most of them are casual or informal.

....We have cruised a good amount on both Seabourn and Silversea...

personally I like them both, maybe a slight edge to Seabourn.

Rob....

Same here..you said it as if I wrote it.....when the flogging begins, I will share with you. :D

...thanks Burris, a person has to experience both lines to really appreciate some of the differences...Suite size is a really huge difference in the higher categories...A nicety and real convenience that Regent provides is their interactive TVs. Movies on demand, daily menues for all venues, your current account balances including credits, and on and on. On Crystal none of that....But the real turn off for me were the "Fully Crystalized" passengers whose main interest at times seemed to be impressing each other with how many Crystal cruises they had taken....I did enjoy the formal nights but I can go either way on that..We are getting anxious now to be in Venice boarding the Mariner...:D..I really missed my interactive TV with all of its features including movies on demand and an up to the minute account balance etc..... Edited by AWED23

...But the real turn off for me were the "Fully Crystalized" passengers whose main interest at times seemed to be impressing each other with how many Crystal cruises they had taken....

Sounds like not for me. After just a few days, I would run out of "original" remarks to make in response to that topic!

Oh please, Crystal guests don't worry about their accounts. Most people don't stay in their cabin/suite anyway to watch TV. Too many other venues to attend. The only thing we watch is CNN or FOX news.

We, as well as anybody can get menus delivered to their cabin/suite and a very extensive room service menu is right there for your use.

Crystal will be all inclusive next year.!!!!

Thanks Miles, Crystal all inclusive (and a terrific price) hooked us...we are on the Crystal's first all inclusive voyage (Mar 19-30 Mar; crossing Miami to Lisbon) in fact Judith just arranged dinner at one of the specialty restaurants Prego or Silk Road for NancyGp, Riki & David, Judith, Ida and I. However, we still adore Regent and will board the Voyager almost immediately after we disembark the Symphony

Edited by Colonel(Ret.)Wes

Oh please, Crystal guests don't worry about their accounts. Most people don't stay in their cabin/suite anyway to watch TV. Too many other venues to attend. The only thing we watch is CNN or FOX news.

We, as well as anybody can get menus delivered to their cabin/suite and a very extensive room service menu is right there for your use.

Crystal will be all inclusive next year.!!!!

They may be all inclusive but you left out the rest of the story..

The main dining room is not set up to handle open dining. This was conveyed to me from the dining room manager on the Symphony last year. He was concerned first about the difference in pre-paid gratuties(his thoughts) but more concerned about the design and limitations of the open dining requests because it was not capable of accomodating the ship's capacity for that many people. He mentioned that in order to fill requests for 2 tops, they were having to either convince people to share or they had to kill a 4 top for the 2 guests.

The other important thing I think you missed was that probably most cabins at least on the one we were on were tiny and poorly laid out. The bathroom was a joke..not much bigger than a Port A Potty.

The closet with a sliding door was so small, we had to ask the room stewardess to remove the bathrobes in order to have room for our clothes.

We are not into formal dining unless we want to be and we don't want to be forced into anything. There are enough rules and regulations in the rest of our lives without having to pay top dollar to have even more of them thrust upon us.. and for us, it is an understatement to say most of the crowd was stuffy.

I know everyone has a different need, but in this comparison, I must agree with AWED23