Compare Regent vs Crystal

ctemkg

Travelcat2 said it well. Both Seabourn and Silversea are more formal in their dress codes. The passengers are very good at honoring the Formal night code. Better than Crystal in my experience in that on formal Nights barely 75% of the Men wore either dinner jackets or tuxedos while I believe it would be closer to 90% aboard either Seabourn or Silversea..Regent has an all around superior product for my taste. Space to passenger ratio and staff to passenger ratio are the industries highest I believe...:D

I am not sure how important it is what percentage of the people wear Tuxedos or Dinner Jackets on a formal night since the guidelines (other than formal optional on Seabourn) recommend a dark suit, tuxedo or a dinner jacket.

In my experience having sailed on Crystal, Seaborn (excluding formal optional) and Silversea, Men dressed about the same on formal nights.

Now, as to the percentage of gents who dress in a suit rather than a tuxedo or a dinner jacket will vary on all three of those lines based on several factors including itinerary, length of voyage, and number of formal nights.

That is my experience.

I have also sailed on many Crystal Voyages where I would estimate that 90% or more of the gents wore tuxedoes while others where the number was less and the difference was due to the reasons I said.

In the end, each person should sail on those cruise line(s) that make them the happiest. And if a particular lines(s) work best for you that is great, but for someone else it might be a different set of lines.

Keith

I am constantly amazed at how upset some people get when others prefer a different cruise line. If you prefer Regent, goof for you. If you prefer Crystal, good for you. If you prefer the Staten Island Ferry, good for you. It doesn't detract one iota from my enjoyment of whatever line I prefer. Just be grateful everyone doesn't prefer the same line or that line would justifiably triple its prices.

I am not sure how important it is what percentage of the people wear Tuxedos or Dinner Jackets on a formal night since the guidelines (other than formal optional on Seabourn) recommend a dark suit, tuxedo or a dinner jacket.

In my experience having sailed on Crystal, Seaborn (excluding formal optional) and Silversea, Men dressed about the same on formal nights.

Now, as to the percentage of gents who dress in a suit rather than a tuxedo or a dinner jacket will vary on all three of those lines based on several factors including itinerary, length of voyage, and number of formal nights.

That is my experience.

I have also sailed on many Crystal Voyages where I would estimate that 90% or more of the gents wore tuxedoes while others where the number was less and the difference was due to the reasons I said.

In the end, each person should sail on those cruise line(s) that make them the happiest. And if a particular lines(s) work best for you that is great, but for someone else it might be a different set of lines.

Keith

I wonder if we're on the same page.

I'm from the casual school and it really doesn't make any difference to me what sort formal clothes or suits people wear on Crystal, only that for me, formal is out unless I want it to be in..who cares about percentages...this is leisure not calculous.

I wonder if we're on the same page.

I'm from the casual school and it really doesn't make any difference to me what sort formal clothes or suits people wear on Crystal, only that for me, formal is out unless I want it to be in..who cares about percentages...this is leisure not calculous.

I do think we are on the same page and am not following your comments.

I was responding to the post where it mentioned that gents on Crystal didn't dress as formal as those on Seabourn and Silversea and that has not been our experience. I was just pointing out that the vast majority of gents go with the recommended attire and that factors such as length of voyage, itinerary and the number of formal nights play a role in all of this.

But I started off my post by saying that I am not sure why it is important the percentage of people who wear a tuxedo or a dinner jacket since the recommended guidelines also include a suit.

Now for me, I am from the school that goes with the recommended guidelines. If I don't care for the recommended guidelines then I find a cruise line that works for me. Certainly there is lots of choice out there in the Luxury arena.

Keith

I was hoping to find out from other past cruisers if there is a similar environment to Regent on one of the other lines since the Regent single supplement is almost the rate for two people. When booking two cabins, both at single rates, it gets very expensive.

Based on the comments so far, it seems Regent offers the more casual - less formal environment, which is something that is important to us. This type of atmosphere allows us to unwind and relax, which is why we would go on the cruise. If you feel that Silversea or Seabourn offer a similar casual setting, feel free to share as it looks like they are less expensive for singles.

Thanks.

Have you looked at Sea Dream? They are very casual. I have no idea what the single supplement would be.

Have you looked at Sea Dream? They are very casual. I have no idea what the single supplement would be.

Came here to say that. Also Windstar. I have not sailed either line, but I think they are not outside the realm of consideration regarding quality of overall experience, from what I have read -- though I've no idea what their single supplement is. I'm frankly curious about both lines, and intend to investigate further.

First time on Seabourn last fall in the Med. I don't like wearing formal wear or ties. What I liked on Seabourn was they had formal optional nights which allowed sport coat or suit without a tie. Some people wore formal but maybe half did not. I prefer the Regent dress code.

Thanks for the ideas. I have never heard of Sea Dream or Windstar, but am checking them out now to learn more. First impression, based on their websites, is that they both have small capacity ships. Just for my personal preference, I would lean towards to 600-700 passenger ships. Regent offered enough variety of activities for me to keep from getting bored, while at the same time, it never seemed crowded on the ship.

Someday, I would like to try something like Sea Dream or Windstar. I will just have to get rich first...We are able to indulge in this level of experience only once every few years, so for now, I am still leaning towards the Regent line, even with the ultra high single supplement.

Due to the immensly lower rate and convenient home ports, I have cruised on Carnival and Royal a few times. While it is clearly the opposite of the experience I would prefer such as on Regent, I could afford it. While these ships are jammed with people (understatement), the cruise experience is really what the passenger makes of it. These were not relaxing, unwinding type cruises, yet we still had a good time and it allowed us to get away. I have met many, many people on each of the cruises, yet preferred to spend more time and keep in touch with the ones from the Regent trips.

So until I marry a rich woman (any offers?) or win the lottery... I think Regent may have to be every couple of years for me.

Thanks.

Keith1010.......I stated only those things that I personally experienced this year on 2 seperate Crystal cruises...I am aware of you and your position on the Crystal boards, most always a voice of reason...With your inside information perhaps you might step up and tell me why, in your opinion, that Crystal is going all inclusive next Spring...Suitetravel chooses to not give an opinion....I thought it was a reasonable question.

Keith1010.......I stated only those things that I personally experienced this year on 2 seperate Crystal cruises...I am aware of you and your position on the Crystal boards, most always a voice of reason...With your inside information perhaps you might step up and tell me why, in your opinion, that Crystal is going all inclusive next Spring...Suitetravel chooses to not give an opinion....I thought it was a reasonable question.

AWED23, I have no insider information. With that said logic tells me the decision to include alcohol and wine as part of the cruise fare along with gratuities was done so to make it easier for agents to sell the product. I suspect that many who felt this was important to them will now take a look at Crystal.

Keith

AWED23, I have no insider information. With that said logic tells me the decision to include alcohol and wine as part of the cruise fare along with gratuities was done so to make it easier for agents to sell the product. I suspect that many who felt this was important to them will now take a look at Crystal.

Keith

...Thank You Keith for the reply....I suspect you are entirely correct.

Keith

Keith, you may very well be correct but, even a better reason fo agents to sell the product is that it is all inclusive making the fares higher and TA commissions are paid on the total cruise price less air and hotels thus increasing the total commission dollars.

Sorry.I don't live on the computer. Crystal has evolved slowly and now they will go all inclusive which is a very good move and we knew it was coming eventually.

In 20 cruises with Crystal we have never had a bad experience. Crystal has maintained its number one rating for years.:D

Keith, you may very well be correct but, even a better reason fo agents to sell the product is that it is all inclusive making the fares higher and TA commissions are paid on the total cruise price less air and hotels thus increasing the total commission dollars.

Slight correction if I may. Crystal pays on the cruise/air/hotel (if they are all booked through Crystal) less total taxes/port/handling fees.

Awed23 - Crystal I believe went all-inclusive simply because they had to. They almost went all-inclusive when Serenity went into service in 2003. They didn't because their research at that time showed something like 65% of their guests had one drink or less per day, so they included all of the non-alcoholic beverages instead. I suspect that 65% has not really changed that much, so for the "majority" of their guests the As You Wish credits (which disappear in April 2012) are actually a better deal, but the reality is that the other three luxe lines are all-inclusive.QED.

Edited by Roland4

Actually, the commission changed very little, if any, with this change. This is because rather than raising fares Crystal eliminated a shipboard credit which was the "As You Wish Credit" so there was no net impact on fares. Any change in fares was because of normal increases that take place year over year.

I do believe it just makes it easier to sell the product.

Even think back to Regent. There was a time where wine/alcohol was not inclusive all day long and the change was made to make it all the time. It was likely driven to compete with those that were already doing this.

Keith

Keith, as AWED23 states, also believe you're absolutely correct, in fact once we knew Crystal was becoming all inclusive we not only looked--we booked.

My brief comments on Crystal vs Regent follow....this thread title is Crystal vs. Regent..and conventionally we expect to compare and contrast the cruise experiences. This thread is doing a reasonable job with this comparison as the passions of Regent and Crystal cruisers words reflect. Thought I would post a different tact--the Crystal board vs the Regent board, As a recently booked Crystal cruiser and near Gold (over 75 days) on Regent (will be on our next voyage in March) thought I would share some board (Regent vs Crystal) thoughts. Absolutely, IMO--the Crystal board is made up of the most helpful posters of any of the four main luxury boards (SB, SS, Crystal and Regent) Keith's post for first time crystal cruisers is a wonderful example for other boards to emulate--chock full of useful cruise information for the first time crystal cruiser. Judith's outstanding support for the Share the Experience thread (where the sponsor and new Crystal cruiser gets $200 SBC is another example). Moreover, the theme on the Crystal board is helpfulness, sharing and civility..not volatility, nit-picking and argumentativeness.

Cruise critic and Crystal have a relationship that far exceeds any relationship between CC and the other lux cruise brands. CC supports a formal meet and mingle thread that results in official invitations sent to CCr's by Crystal, for their meet and mingle on board. This is in contrast to the the informal get together we (fellow CCr's arrange on SS and Regent..can't speak for SB, have not sailed them...yet).

The on line booking experience on crystal far, far exceeds that on Regent and Silversea (really SS has no on line booking system except the guest information form

you fill out). I speak from booking and soon to be cruising experience as we have a Silversea cruise we board in two+ weeks and another booked next November, we have a Crystal cruise booked in five months (mid March) and we have a Regent cruise booked right after our Crystal cruise (late March). The crystal on line experience not only allows you to book specialty restaurants, reserve your dining times (fixed or open), you can book creative learning institute classes (foreign language or computer classes), reserve the very special vintage room (equivalent to Le Champagne on Silversea). My recent experience with the Crystal board shows this lux board as much more welcoming, friendly, and helpful than the volatile Regent board.

Anyway thought I would share a different perspective on the Regent vs Crystal thread. However, absolutely concur with Wripro (Henry).."There is no such thing as the best cruise line, only the one that you prefer." We prefer to cruise on not only Regent, and cruise on Silversea but hopefully after our first cruise on Crystal on we will include Crystal too on our future cruise dance card.

Edited by Colonel(Ret.)Wes

Perhaps the people who cruise with Regent are less stuffy than those we experienced on Crystal....

Maybe this is the reason that we post with carefree abandon on CC..and are far more relaxed when we sail on Regent.

Makes it more interesting for me....

Perhaps the people who cruise with Regent are less stuffy than those we experienced on Crystal....

Maybe this is the reason that we post with carefree abandon on CC..and are far more relaxed when we sail on Regent.

Makes it more interesting for me....

Have met lots of people who sail on Regent on other cruise lines ranging from Silversea, to Seabourn, to Crystal and even a couple of other lines. You know in the end, people are people. When you see these people in a room they don't exude Crystal, Regent, Seabourn, or Silversea and they don't wear the cruise line label on their forehead. They are just people.

Take a 1,000 cruisers on any line and you will find a wide range of people.

People try to label people from the clothes they wear, the cars they drive, the shows they watch, the teams they follow, their religious or political beliefs, the color of their skin, the country they are from, and so forth and to be honest I've really found that not to be the case.

To me it's silly to label people by the cruise line they sail with.

I've met very nice people on every cruise line and for that matter every voyage we've sailed on. I've also met people I didn't care for. I am sure others feel the same way about me.

We should also recognize that we can judge people as being stuffy but it may turn out that others see us the same way.

And, the reality is that the atmosphere on any voyage, even on the same cruise line, can change from voyage to voyage for many different reasons from the passenger mix, to the itinerary to the weather and to many other factors including our own attitude on that voyage.

Anyway, I don't go for this labeling. It's never very constructive. And I see no need to put down others.

If Crystal didn't work for you that's fine just as there are others who have sailed Regent and it didn't work for them. That should not cause others to rush to judgement.

We are all fortunate that we can sail on luxury lines and we are fortunate that there is a lot of choice in the luxury cruise line arena.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

The on line booking experience on crystal far, far exceeds that on Regent and Silversea (really SS has no on line booking system except the guest information form

you fill out).

A detail: On Silversea one can book excursions online as well as spa treatments. As I recall, the window for booking these services opens around 120 days before departure. I have used this facility a couple of times with zero problems.

Have met lots of people who sail on Regent on other cruise lines ranging from Silversea, to Seabourn, to Crystal and even a couple of other lines. You know in the end, people are people. When you see these people in a room they don't exude Crystal, Regent, Seabourn, or Silversea and they don't wear the cruise line label on their forehead. They are just people.

Take a 1,000 cruisers on any line and you will find a wide range of people.

People try to label people from the clothes they wear, the cars they drive, the shows they watch, the teams they follow, their religious or political beliefs, the color of their skin, the country they are from, and so forth and to be honest I've really found that not to be the case.

To me it's silly to label people by the cruise line they sail with.

I've met very nice people on every cruise line and for that matter every voyage we've sailed on. I've also met people I didn't care for. I am sure others feel the same way about me.

We should also recognize that we can judge people as being stuffy but it may turn out that others see us the same way.

And, the reality is that the atmosphere on any voyage, even on the same cruise line, can change from voyage to voyage for many different reasons from the passenger mix, to the itinerary to the weather and to many other factors including our own attitude on that voyage.

Anyway, I don't go for this labeling. It's never very constructive. And I see no need to put down others.

If Crystal didn't work for you that's fine just as there are others who have sailed Regent and it didn't work for them. That should not cause others to rush to judgement.

We are all fortunate that we can sail on luxury lines and we are fortunate that there is a lot of choice in the luxury cruise line arena.

Keith

You make good points, but I need to have you show me where I ever referred to labels or labeling people.

If what you are referring to is the fact that I, as well as others, say that we find a particular group of people stuffy or a ship not to our liking, these are simply our opinions and are as worthwhile as you and some others insisting that you have been on a ship 20 times and nothing has ever gone wrong.

What is this rushing to judgement you mention? We simply air our opinions as we do in every other walk of life. I don't think any cruise ship is sacrosanct so what's the fuss about? Isn't this what critics do to make a living?

Next, there many events apart from sailing where I don't attend due to the discomfort of what the event offers or due to the crowd that typically attends. This goes for restaurants as well as musical events or stage shows.

Is that labeling?

As one grows older and has virtually done it all and seen it all, memories surface and this is what reminds you of what it is that you like or dislike.

If you've read my posts over time, you would have seen that I have always been steadfast against any sort of class distinction, as only you can label yourself.

You make good points, but I need to have you show me where I ever referred to labels or labeling people.

I really don't want to get into an argument about this but yes in my humble opinion the comment that says, "Perhaps the people who cruise with Regent are less stuffy than those we experienced on Crystal" is labeling people.

My comments were not only directed at your post but some of the other comments on the thread by one or two others.

If by group you are talking about a small subset of people then I apologize for misunderstanding what you are saying. But if you are talking about a group as the vast majority or entire passenger base I do think of that as labeling.

As to things going wrong, I don't believe I have ever been on any cruise line/voyage where something doesn't go wrong.

Those who know me though understand my view on all of this. Life is very short. We have lost some loved ones at very young ages so we do our best to focus on the positive of each cruise. After all, no one know if it won't be their last cruise. So, unless the things that go wrong are biggies for us we ignore them and pinch ourselves each time we cruise because "life is good".

As to a Critic, a critic doesn't have to be someone who is critical. A critic can also be someone who points out the positive.

Anyway, thank goodness there are lots of luxury lines to choose from that are not clones of one another. Could you imagine if they were all the same, and we all drove the same cars, listened to the same music, ate the same food, wore the same clothes. Life would be boring.

Keith

I have no problem with someone not caring for a particular cruise line(s). That is there prerogative but that doesn't mean that the line is wrong for someone else. This is why personally I do not think any thread on any of the cruise boards that says this line versus that line or tell me which is better this line or that line ever leads to a productive discussion because in the end we all have different tastes and interests.

Take a soup. Ten of us can have the soup and we can have ten different opinions ranging from outstanding to horrible to too salty to not enough salt. Why, because we all have different tastes.