Newby Question

pollyannasue

I'm trying to plan a cruise to the Britsh Isles...specifically Scotland and Ireland. I've found the cruise I'm interested in and have researched a ton of travel agents online. Hard to know who to trust. Also, I'm amazed at the prices....HIGH! The cruise is in May...should I wait longer? Will the prices come down at some point? I'm sure the well traveled cruisers will have some tips for me.:)

We cannot recommend travel agents, so if you cannot find one you trust, you may want to book directly with the cruise line. If you do that, be aware that you alone must check the regulations for travel documentation, such as visas and passports. Also read the fine print at the back of the brochure regarding deposits, cancellation penalties and final payment dates.

As for pricing, I suggest booking now, and keep checking prices up until your final payment due date. Most cruise lines allow you to adjust your price if their price goes down before then.

Look in your local phone book for travel agents, especially those that specialize in cruises. Talk to a few and go with the one you're most comfortable with. For your first cruise, it's better to have someone you can talk to face to face rather than just online or on the phone. As you get more experience with how the system works, you can do more on your own. Check the ports of call forums for ideas about excursions; they are alot of help and can save you some money. Enjoy your cruise and please post a review when you get back.:)

Look in your local phone book for travel agents, especially those that specialize in cruises. Talk to a few and go with the one you're most comfortable with. For your first cruise, it's better to have someone you can talk to face to face rather than just online or on the phone. As you get more experience with how the system works, you can do more on your own. Check the ports of call forums for ideas about excursions; they are alot of help and can save you some money. Enjoy your cruise and please post a review when you get back.:)

As for pricing, I suggest booking now, and keep checking prices up until your final payment due date. Most cruise lines allow you to adjust your price if their price goes down before then.

Not British ones. Once you've paid, you've paid. If the price goes down, tough luck; if it goes up, you've done well. Which line are you thinking of?

check them out...we are not allowed to recommend travel agents but there are ones that specialize in cruising and take big ads in the mags..and sponsor cruise critic

my only experience with Canadian travel agents have been bad..charge tons more..they get a percentage so why shop for bargains...had one book us on a ship that was in drydock

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I agree -- try and find a TA that you can go to and talk to personally. Go to several agents and ask the same questions. Once you feel comfortble with one -- give it a try.

Prices may or may not go down. Book early -- if the price does go down before final payment -- you can always have your TA get you the lower price.

Not British ones. Once you've paid, you've paid. If the price goes down, tough luck; if it goes up, you've done well. Which line are you thinking of?
For a US customer (the OP is in the US) even British lines (e.g., Cunard) can be canceled for refund up to final payment if you book through a US TA or the line itself.

For this sort of a cruise, I go to a site such as cruisETT, and look at which ships are in port on the days I want to be away....you may find that in Greenock there's a Cunard, P&O, Princess and HAL all due in one month. If you then follow the links of that ship, you'll find the itinerary.

Princess seems to do quite a few of these trips; there's also Fred Olsen, who uses small ships and can reach unusual ports.

Friends have done this cruise with Cruise and Maritime line, knowing that it wouldn't be like the big ship cruises, but they enjoyed it.

Then-oh, then- is the cruise which I will take one day, when my ship full of gold comes sailing home to me...:rolleyes:.It's the Hebridean Princess....old, tiny and sometimes fully booked by the Queen for her family. Only 50 pax, and everything supplied at luxury level.....tiny Scottish islands, which you can't reach any other way unless you have a private yacht.....and prices to match, unfortunately.

Enjoy searching!;)

Jo.

Archived