Maui Questions

ShawninFL

We'll be staying on Maui for three days post cruise and renting a Jeep. I know many of the roads in Hawaii are not what we're used to here on the mainland and may be out of bound to drive on from the rental agency. What is the drive from Kaanapali to Kahului like? Is it safely drivable and is it allowed by the rental agencies? Also, how about continuing past Hana and leaving via the south end of the island?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Shawn

We'll be staying on Maui for three days post cruise and renting a Jeep. I know many of the roads in Hawaii are not what we're used to here on the mainland and may be out of bound to drive on from the rental agency. What is the drive from Kaanapali to Kahului like? Is it safely drivable and is it allowed by the rental agencies? Also, how about continuing past Hana and leaving via the south end of the island?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Shawn

Kahului to Kaanapali is easy and a great road as long as you go the main road. There is a really bad road over the top of Maui that I'd stay away from. Looking at a map of Maui, it's across the top after Kapalua and at the bottom after Hana that are bad.

Both roads are perfectly fine, and neither require 4wd. The road around the top of West Maui is beautiful, paved and drivable. The problems with that road have nothing to do with pavement; the road is very narrow in some places and can cause some 'okole-clinching moments if two cars meet on a hillside in this narrow area.

As for the road around southeast Maui, it also is fully paved and easily drivable. It is narrow in some places, but not like the West Maui road above. Indeed, we've taken the Hana Drive this way a couple of times now, because you end up in the Kipahulu section (seven sacred pools) earlier than the crowd coming around the normal way, and your drive back around the top is less-crowded than it would have been if you'd joined the crowds in the morning on the Road to Hana. You also get to see a part of Maui most miss -- very different and arid than even South Maui.

Regardless what you read, neither road will invalidate your rental car contract. Period. The road around southeast Maui used to be brutal, I hear, and that's what the rumors around this topic come from, but the road is fine now.

Maui is our favorite place to visit -- we get there twice a year. Every person who talks about going gets our recommendation to buy Maui Revealed -- by far, the best travel guidebook for any place, anywhere (and I've read a lot of them!). Both roads are covered well in there.

I'd check with your rental car agency but since upgrading roads the last time neither end was prohibited. Once I left the Kaanapali area at 1:30am for a great Haleakala sunrise before continuing around the south end to Oheo Gulch & Hana. The last time I drove the road got rough several miles past Ulapalakua (winery) until Oheo Gulch. Charles Lindbergh is buried in a small church in Kipahulu & it was nice to be driving from Hana while everyone else was driving there.

Maui Revealed is a great guide book but know your limits because some have been injured & killed going to places beyond their limits. Their recommendations are not for everyone so know your limits & stay within them and you'll be okay.

At the end of Pi'ilani Hwy past Makena & before La Perouse bay are the last lava flows from the late 1700s.

I'd suggest to limit where you go so you'll have enough time to enjoy each location by having enough time to fully enjoy it. You probably don't want to see Maui from a car but on foot.

I agree with the experts that the best luau in Hawaii is the Old Lahaina Luau performed daily but very popular so make reservations. They have seating near the stage sitting on mats at short tables or regular table seating. Seats are assigned & it's by table for the buffet.

Lots to do in Maui...no ka oi...it's the best!

Here's a link to more Maui info:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1489464

both roads were prohibited by Avis in Sept 2009. If you drive on a prohibited road and you have a problem w/ the car, you are NOT covered by any insurance they you purchased through the rental car agency. You may not even be covered by your own policy. You need to double-check w/ your car rental company to determine which roads they consider to be off-limits.

That said, we did the North road and had no problems.

from what I read in 2009, the road past Hana is private. It was removed from many maps and guidebooks because of that. We did it several years before. There were several gates we had to open and then close again to keep the cattle in the right areas. So on the last trip, we complied w/ the private property and didn't trespass.

to clarify - the private road is NOT 37/31 that goes past the road up to Haleakala. The private road was a spur road off 37/31 that connected into Makena. That cuts a considerable amt of time off the drive around the island (especially since we were staying in Wailea).

to clarify - the private road is NOT 37/31 that goes past the road up to Haleakala. The private road was a spur road off 37/31 that connected into Makena. That cuts a considerable amt of time off the drive around the island (especially since we were staying in Wailea).

That road has been restricted since Pi'ilani Hwy was extended to Wailea making it too easy to get Upcountry which is not what those living there want to happen to their tranquil lives. :)

We drove (in a VAN!!!!) all over the island...never mind what the rental companies say....no damage to the vehicle....the roads were NOT as bad as they were made out to be....and that was in 1984!!!! Just be a careful driver! The main roads are well-marked, with reflectors everywhere for great night driving!

We drove (in a VAN!!!!) all over the island...never mind what the rental companies say....no damage to the vehicle....the roads were NOT as bad as they were made out to be....and that was in 1984!!!! Just be a careful driver! The main roads are well-marked, with reflectors everywhere for great night driving!

Now that is current information!!!;):D

You need to check with your rental car company, as there seems to be some inconsistancy, and may depend, in the case of the road past Hana, to depend on whether or not you rent a 4WD.

Rented from Thrifty and no restrictions. Don't need a 4WD, I did it with a Ford Focus.

Extremely rough drive over narrow dirt roads.

Read the rental agreement. Our agreement said paved or grated roads were ok. The drive on the south end is quite bumpy (we were there right after some major rain storms), but it is well worth the drive. When we went it was grated dirt not paved. The drive on the north end above Kaanapali is paved but a narrow road at times. I recommend both. And get the Maui Revealed book too....Charles Lindburghs grave is in the back of the church and I believe to the right....Maui is great and there is so much to do.

Archived