Pictures of rough waters

4THELOVEOFBOO

...I'll bet the bridge team of this ship was nervous as they docked in heaving swells

Mill-320.jpg

X Millennium docking at Barbados, during a big North swell.

Doesn't look like much huh? --Look at her waterline!

I'm surprised he even brought her in. Swells like these often pop mooring lines

Here's a video from the NCL Pearl to give you an idea of how the ship was moving:

I am surprised the pool was open!

No passengers were on board, just crew.

Wow. And people complain that the anchor at sea and change the sailing dates. I would be really happy to NOT be on that ship! Were you on the Ecstacy at the time? As a passenger? Yikes.

We have had some rough seas on cruises, but I have never gotten much of a picture which showed the size of the waves. The largest we have encountered were huge rollers onboard the Carnival Pride. We were approaching a tropical storm off Cape Hatteras and the rollers were 30-35 feet. It was not all that rough and few were sea sick.

From the standpoint of nasty seas, we had boarded the Splendor at Rome. We were crossing the closed end of the Mediterranean in 65 knot winds. The seas were steep and about 20 feet. Several people broke bones that night.

The worst seas I have ever seen were on Lake Michigan on November 18, 1958. That is the night the Carl D. Bradley sank. When I arrived in Charlevoix, MI to cover the event for NBC, green water was breaking over the lantern of the pierhead lighthouse. The light was 37 feet above mean water height.

Doc

Hey guys, I;m just a little curious on how rough waters can get. Can you post pictures of rough waters that you have experienced on past cruises??? Thanks ahead of time

No pics but had 25 ft seas on the Fantasy 13 months ago over labor day

No pics.....but we crossed paths with Katrina on a Bahamas Cruise. Needless to say we only made it to Key West and then we spent the rest of the cruise going slowly up the coast of Florida. Great many of the crew & passengers were sick. The ship seemed abandoned as everybody stayed in the cabins to ride it out. The shows were cancelled due to the rocking. It was the only time I saw a waiter drop his tray. I definately felt poor for a day but things got better. It was an adventure......still had a good time.

That video of the NCL Pearl's pool was actually pretty calm compared to some videos I've seen on Youtube of pools on other ships/other sailings. I've been in the Thalossotherapy (sp?) pool with waves like that one. LOL

We were on an Alaskan cruise the week of Sep. 17th and had very rough seas. The captain came on the overhead speakers throughout the ship and warned us all to take precautions, because it was going to get very bad. He said that the winds were expected to be 65-70 mph and the swells could get up to 20 ft. I don't know if we ever hit those numbers, but based on how we were tossed, by how things were moving around our cabin & ship and by the amount of people that were ill....I'd say we came close. (The roughest seas were felt during the night, so no photos or videos during that time)

The captain was able to re-route us into the inside passage and things got much better, until after we left Glacier Bay. Things picked up again and he told us, again, to take our seasick meds as we were going to hit rough waters again. We did. :)

I have some short videos of the swells, taken from deck 5.....but they don't really show the impact that we felt on the ship. Until you experience it, you can't really understand what its like. There were times we got a little scared, but we never felt like we were in danger or anything dire. Now that it's over, we're glad we got to experience it. Not everyone does. We were told when we returned to Seattle that the storms were caused by a couple typhoons from the Japan area.

That was my 18th cruise and the first time I've experienced rough seas like that. The odds are with you, that you won't experience seas like this on a cruise. It can happen, but it's not often.

We crusie during Hurrican season a lot. Many times rough seas but the worst was in sea around Bora Bora. All outside decks closed--barf bags tapes up everywhere. A lot of broken dishes in the dinning room. All shows canceled. We were asked to stay in our cabins. Hugh waves --but is was fun for us..too dumb to be scared I guess..

Here's a video from the NCL Pearl to give you an idea of how the ship was moving:

That was the sailing after ours. We had been on a B2B from Oct 31-Nov 14th. We were battling Hurricane Tomas that first week and it was as bad as in the video. Outer decks were closed off cause of the wind and we had to miss GSC because of the hurricane.

We crusie during Hurrican season a lot. Many times rough seas but the worst was in sea around Bora Bora. All outside decks closed--barf bags tapes up everywhere. A lot of broken dishes in the dinning room. All shows canceled. We were asked to stay in our cabins. Hugh waves --but is was fun for us..too dumb to be scared I guess..

Just curious, what month was that?

Wow. And people complain that the anchor at sea and change the sailing dates. I would be really happy to NOT be on that ship! Were you on the Ecstacy at the time? As a passenger? Yikes.

I'm surprised that they kept it open too. :confused:

That was the sailing after ours. We had been on a B2B from Oct 31-Nov 14th. We were battling Hurricane Tomas that first week and it was as bad as in the video. Outer decks were closed off cause of the wind and we had to miss GSC because of the hurricane.

We made it to GSC but the waters were rough, not fun. My waverunner excursion was canceled. :mad:

Here's a video if you really want to see how rough it can get:

that being seen~ I've only been on 8 cruises and have never experienced anything close to that!! I think it depends on what sea you are cruising on and what time of year~

Wow...

I believe this is the Ecstasy take from the Sensation... Either way, they're the same size/layout.

They were fleeing New Orleans where they had been housing emergency workers after Hurricane Katrina, so there were only crew onboard at the time.

We cruise during Hurricane season a lot, but most of the high seas we've had have been in the winter.

This was Feb 2010 from our aft balcony on the Ecstasy, E-deck

I've had rougher seas not in the main hurricane season, too. Our roughest have been dealing with cold fronts in May, November, and January. But I've also been on May and January sailings where the seas were almost glassy. You never can tell. But with one exception, our hurricane season cruises have been pretty calm and the one with rocky seas wasn't even all that bad - just a little side to side swaying.

I've had rougher seas not in the main hurricane season, too. Our roughest have been dealing with cold fronts in May, November, and January. But I've also been on May and January sailings where the seas were almost glassy. You never can tell. But with one exception, our hurricane season cruises have been pretty calm and the one with rocky seas wasn't even all that bad - just a little side to side swaying.

Yup, it's amazing how those cold fronts can stir up the water! The roughest was on the Celebration back in 2000, we had 20ft. swells and on that little a ship you could really feel it. We were in R2 at the VERY front of the ship and everytime we came down over a swell we'd get BAM! and the whole room would shake. My mom a few cabins down with a porthole had times when the porthole was completely covered by 3-4 feet of water.

I of course was fine, DH... he was super-green, lol.

Archived