Cabin Question for AFT Lovers

cruzingduo

Anyone? No other AFT Lovers?

We stayed in 1665 on Equinox in 2009 and have booked the same S2 on Eclipse in December 2012. A S1 (1663) was right beside us. We had an opportunity to see the layout when we were there. The wraparound balcony with the S1 is a nice feature and there is a porthole as well as the sliding doors, so the outside view in an S1 is a little different than the S2. We felt there was sufficient balcony space in the S2, and we didn't miss the fact that there was no porthole. In our opinion, there is not enough of an advantage to warrant the $500.00 difference.

We were in 9374 on the Eclipse this July on Med cruise. Great Sky Suite S1. Very large and the large porthole and deck were great. It was also a very very quiet suite with great butler and cabin steward. Well worth the extra cost in our opinion (even though on our cruise the S1 was less expensive than S2 because of potential sun issues (which were not an issue with us)) -- plus many of the S2 suites are on the resort deck and might have noise issues from the buffet. Hope this helps. Thanks.

I have not cruised on Aft on Celebrity; but have cruised Aft on other lines. And while the advantages are nice - large balcony, nice easy ride to fall asleep to & ease of finding your room when you have too much to drink (just get on the right floor & walk to the back of the boat & you have a 1 in 4 or 6 chance of guessing the right room). For that cost, I would look at other things it might buy. We look at the Aft room for our most recent cruise & it was $450 - which we decided would pay for almost our entire both of our beverage packages. We decided we would rather have the beverages vs large balcony.

But if you spend most of your cruise on the balcony - it might make sense.

We had 5 couples on the Eclipse this past February. Since I had been on Solstice class a couple times before, I helped pick their cabins. One couple got the S1 (port aft) on, I believe, the penthouse deck. Another couple got the S2 right next to them (aft). The S1 was very spacious with a great bathroom. The deck was huge (part of the deck wraps around to the port side of the ship). For the money, I really like the S2. It was about the size of a nice hotel room, and it had a large balcony as well, but was about $600 cheaper for a 7-day cruise.

You can't go wrong with either one IMHO!

We stayed in 1665 on Equinox in 2009 and have booked the same S2 on Eclipse in December 2012. A S1 (1663) was right beside us. We had an opportunity to see the layout when we were there. The wraparound balcony with the S1 is a nice feature and there is a porthole as well as the sliding doors, so the outside view in an S1 is a little different than the S2. We felt there was sufficient balcony space in the S2, and we didn't miss the fact that there was no porthole. In our opinion, there is not enough of an advantage to warrant the $500.00 difference.

Hi just reading some of the comments about aft cabins. We have booked one for our Caribbean cruise in February, and it is cabin 1665 on the Equinox, so I was really pleased to see your good report about the cabin. My wife generally likes to spend a lot of time on the balcony so this looked like a good one to pick. I did look at booking the S1 next door, but have already blown my budget to get cabin 1665 !!!!!

Thanks so much for all the comments. We decided to stick with 1665 and use the extra money we'll save towards the cruise. I am so happy to hear the positive reports on that cabin.

We're really looking forward to the Solstice class.

• 4 years later...
We were in 9374 on the Eclipse this July on Med cruise. Great Sky Suite S1. Very large and the large porthole and deck were great. It was also a very very quiet suite with great butler and cabin steward. Well worth the extra cost in our opinion (even though on our cruise the S1 was less expensive than S2 because of potential sun issues (which were not an issue with us)) -- plus many of the S2 suites are on the resort deck and might have noise issues from the buffet. Hope this helps. Thanks.

Would you possibly have photos of cabin #9374? I was trying to determine if the pole by the bed is on the left or right side of the bed.

Would you possibly have photos of cabin #9374? I was trying to determine if the pole by the bed is on the left or right side of the bed.

The pole on the starboard side S1 is on the left-hand side of the bed. I would think it would be just the opposite for a port side S1 if the cabin were flipped.

The pole on the starboard side S1 is on the left-hand side of the bed. I would think it would be just the opposite for a port side S1 if the cabin were flipped.

The SS1 8336 below 9374 has the pole on the right side (according to photos on ********************) and cabin 7356 has it on the left side (according a photo a CC member sent me). Thanks for responding.

Good to see questions/comments on this! We will be on the Silhouette in April first time Sky Suite guests. Our S2 is on the resort deck directly below Sunset Bar. First concern is noise but since this is an early spring cruise in the Baltic region I suspect there won't be to much late night activity above but you never know?! Anyone had similar situation? Second question is how much does the deck above extend out over the balconies? Will it affect sunshine and light on the balcony or in the room?

Trying to decide between a S1 and S2 aft cabin on a Solstice class ship. The balcony on the S1 looks a lot larger, but it's about $500 more, is it worth the extra money?

We always book an S2 Aft. The cabin has more closet space, and more drawer space. The layout is a bit more spacious.

We always book an S2 Aft. The cabin has more closet space, and more drawer space. The layout is a bit more spacious.

I completely agree, having been in both. I'll book an S1 on Reflection -- one of those that used to be the AQ Suites converted to S1's to alleviate the overcrowding in Blu. They have the AQ shower panels also.

Not sure if it is $500 per person or total and what the cruise length is and that will have a bearing, but I prefer the S1s. Larger space with a nice round window in the cabin, bigger balcony, a view down the side of the ship and an alcove to the stateroom door that is shared with the cabin next to it. This makes it very quiet. There's still plenty of storage space.

Phil

Not sure if it is $500 per person or total and what the cruise length is and that will have a bearing, but I prefer the S1s. Larger space with a nice round window in the cabin, bigger balcony, a view down the side of the ship and an alcove to the stateroom door that is shared with the cabin next to it. This makes it very quiet. There's still plenty of storage space.

Phil

We feel the same way.

The SS1 8336 below 9374 has the pole on the right side (according to photos on ********************) and cabin 7356 has it on the left side (according a photo a CC member sent me). Thanks for responding.

I was in a port corner S1 on the Sihouette and a starboard Corner S1 on the Eclipse. In both cases the pole was on the side of the bed nearest the bathroom opposite the side nearest the balcony. Whether it is right or left would depend whether you are in bed or at the foot of the bed facing the bed. I suspect you both might be saying the same thing based on my limited experience.

By the way we love the corner aft because of the extra large window (view and light) and the more expansive view from the balcony. Our curtains are always open to enjoy the views. There is more than enough storage in the cabin, but I would agree that the single smaller closet is odd for a suite. The drawer and shelve space is plentiful. Just our opinion of course.

2011 post. Wonder what they chose???

Huh...sure enough. I just assumed this was a new thread.

As for the original topic, my wife and I greatly prefer the S1 we booked on Equinox in 2012, as it magically turned into a RS. :D

The S2 on Eclipse was not as fruitful, but was great. I'd call it a C1 with the square footage of an accessible and with suite perks.