Post a Picture of Your Dress (Part 2)

CC Help Jenn

My wife just got this custom made-to-size Choengsam for one of our next two cruises.

Of course if she gains more than 5 ounces it's history! Took two weeks from direct factory order to delivery - fits perfectly, great price.

ThaiSilkChoengsam_zps45bb149e.jpg

Hmmm. That would look amazing for our Miss Saigon ball after Shanghai.

I love that Wifflebat! Absolutely beautiful!

My wife just got this custom made-to-size Choengsam for one of our next two cruises.

Of course if she gains more than 5 ounces it's history! Took two weeks from direct factory order to delivery - fits perfectly, great price.

Fabulous dress! I think it will fit her like a glove.

I have had two dress made for previous world cruises and I will be wearing them on my next world cruise. I had them made by a company in Shanghai called www.ancientmoods.com

I had the blue made, loved it so much I had the cream one done. They are pretty close fitting so no room for expansion:) They are beautifully made all hand embroidered and pure silk. Best part not too expensive!

007c88d8-b4e1-4d06-9a8c-3647a94bd048_zps62f276ae.jpg

Cream silk. Photos on QM2

43764faa-29b9-4b73-8df6-c69211d8bbce_zps93feda60.jpg

Hi Ladies, I have been missing of late as I have a cast on my arm, (broken wrist, happened in January on a world cruise and still not right)

Just wanted to say how fabulous you are all looking. I love the new dresses. Drewswife looks lovely in her new blue dress. Nice bargains from EBay also well done ladies. Carry on shopping, keep up the good work. :)

Hi Scapnana,

I found the prices quiet fair as I live in Cyprus and the postage was a lot but the dresses If I recall were around £140 UK . I did not think that was too expensive for hand made. I pay a lot more than that here in Cyprus for hand made formal wear. I tend to have most of my formal dresses made to measure as I am on the short side so everything needs altering otherwise.

The prices for the Chinese dress depends on your size as well. You can do a dummy run and price them up. You need someone with a tape measure as well to get the measurements right. Give it a try!

Many people on world cruises buy dress in the markets in China, but you do not always get the time to buy especially if you are on tour. Plus it is hit and miss if they fit as they can be very tight and the splits come right to the top of your thigh:D I had mine sewn a bit lower down for modesty;)

I have a lovely Chinese jacket with sequins sewn on that I bought in China or Hong Kong. That is nice for Chinese night with a pair of evening black silk trousers. Another idea for you.

Hi Scapnana,

I found the prices quiet fair as I live in Cyprus and the postage was a lot but the dresses If I recall were around £140 UK . I did not think that was too expensive for hand made. I pay a lot more than that here in Cyprus for hand made formal wear. I tend to have most of my formal dresses made to measure as I am on the short side so everything needs altering otherwise.

The prices for the Chinese dress depends on your size as well. You can do a dummy run and price them up. You need someone with a tape measure as well to get the measurements right. Give it a try!

Many people on world cruises buy dress in the markets in China, but you do not always get the time to buy especially if you are on tour. Plus it is hit and miss if they fit as they can be very tight and the splits come right to the top of your thigh:D I had mine sewn a bit lower down for modesty;)

I have a lovely Chinese jacket with sequins sewn on that I bought in China or Hong Kong. That is nice for Chinese night with a pair of evening black silk trousers. Another idea for you.

When I lived in Cyprus (not sure which end of the Island you are at, I was in Dhekelia for 3 years back along) I use to have a local tailor make my clothes for me and they were quite reasonable. Like yours he made me everything from formal ball gowns to beach shorts. My OH used to get shirts made up in all sorts of patterns from Flintstones to serious! I think I used to pay about 20 Cypriot pounds at the time for my gowns!

I also lived/worked in Hong Kong for 3 years and had a load of fabulous dresses made up like yours, which are extremely beautiful BTW especially the cream one. The already (factory) made dresses that come from the markets can be scratchy inside. I also had dresses made up in Malaysa and Brunei whilst working there and they were cheap in price but beautiful. I actually brought a ton of material back but unfortunately it is still in my sewing box years on!!

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

When I lived in Cyprus (not sure which end of the Island you are at, I was in Dhekelia for 3 years back along) I use to have a local tailor make my clothes for me and they were quite reasonable. Like yours he made me everything from formal ball gowns to beach shorts. My OH used to get shirts made up in all sorts of patterns from Flintstones to serious! I think I used to pay about 20 Cypriot pounds at the time for my gowns!

I also lived/worked in Hong Kong for 3 years and had a load of fabulous dresses made up like yours, which are extremely beautiful BTW especially the cream one. The already (factory) made dresses that come from the markets can be scratchy inside. I also had dresses made up in Malaysa and Brunei whilst working there and they were cheap in price but beautiful. I actually brought a ton of material back but unfortunately it is still in my sewing box years on!!

Hi Celticgirl Cruiser.

I am in the South of the island and know Dhekelia. I live along the south coast. There are still many tailors and seamstresses around in Nicosia and Limassol, but they are a dying breed. The shirt makers are few now a days. As are the shoemakers.

I still have my formal dresses made here and I have one been made at the moment. I bought 36 metres of silk two years ago in Thailand and I have had it all made up over the past year. I wore the ones below on Arcadia world cruise this year. The dressmaker I use now is not as cheap as the time when you were here as things have become more expensive. I still estimate I get a haute couture dress though for around $250 plus fabric so I think that is good a they are all one off's

Matching hand sling as I had a broken wrist;)

sanfran100_zps89725446.jpg

Green / blue shot Thai silk dress

LAVALAVA010_zpsf758a9db.jpg

Pink silk dress all made in Cyprus

ARCADIAJAN2013033_zps86bf9b1c.jpg

beaded dress made by same dressmaker

newyorkbirthdaycruise113.jpg

Hi Celticgirl Cruiser.

I am in the South of the island and know Dhekelia. I live along the south coast. There are still many tailors and seamstresses around in Nicosia and Limassol, but they are a dying breed. The shirt makers are few now a days. As are the shoemakers.

I still have my formal dresses made here and I have one been made at the moment. I bought 36 metres of silk two years ago in Thailand and I have had it all made up over the past year. I wore the ones below on Arcadia world cruise this year. The dressmaker I use now is not as cheap as the time when you were here as things have become more expensive. I still estimate I get a haute couture dress though for around $250 plus fabric so I think that is good a they are all one off's

Note to self - have to find Maggiemou every night of cruise to see the beautiful creation she has on!:D

• 2 weeks later...

602239_10151428972258212_1488585540_n.jpg

This is my favorite photo of my (now) wife. This was taken on our second transatlantic on the Celebrity Equinox back in April (our first was the same trip the year before, same stateroom!). Judy is all dressed up for the first of the three formal nights.

I feel sorry for the couples that don't take the opportunity to get all dressed up while cruising. We usually don't get dressed up for anything on land so we love to get dressed up at sea. That is one of our motivations for cruising in the first place!

All the lovely ladies that have posted themselves in their dresses and gowns look so stunning! I hope this tradition never dies out!

This is my favorite photo of my (now) wife. This was taken on our second transatlantic on the Celebrity Equinox back in April (our first was the same trip the year before, same stateroom!). Judy is all dressed up for the first of the three formal nights.

I feel sorry for the couples that don't take the opportunity to get all dressed up while cruising. We usually don't get dressed up for anything on land so we love to get dressed up at sea. That is one of our motivations for cruising in the first place!

All the lovely ladies that have posted themselves in their dresses and gowns look so stunning! I hope this tradition never dies out!

This is a sentiment that many of us share. For quite a few of us the ship is the only place to get dressed up and feel posh. Somehow when I get dressed up I feel totally different (younger, thinner, prettier) and that is a great way to feel. I hope the tradition never dies, too.

BTW, I think your wife looks smashing. We have very similar tastes - I would wear that outfit.

I have been on a few cruises, but always like to buy something new! We sail in a little over a week. Found this on sale at £40, couldn't resist. Lovely fabric, small side split and cut out back detail..love it! :o

image.jpg.57ab954ff4574f783fe34fb5b8df3d72.jpg

This is a sentiment that many of us share. For quite a few of us the ship is the only place to get dressed up and feel posh. Somehow when I get dressed up I feel totally different (younger, thinner, prettier) and that is a great way to feel. I hope the tradition never dies, too.

BTW, I think your wife looks smashing. We have very similar tastes - I would wear that outfit.

I also enjoy dressing up. It is part of the experience of a cruise.

I also agree with Scrapnan, EJKorvette, your wife looks lovely and I love her outfit.

I have been on a few cruises, but always like to buy something new! We sail in a little over a week. Found this on sale at £40, couldn't resist. Lovely fabric, small side split and cut out back detail..love it! :o

Pretty dress in a great color - and on sale! Be sure to take pictures for us to see when you return. Have a great cruise!

Pretty dress in a great color - and on sale! Be sure to take pictures for us to see when you return. Have a great cruise!

Thank you! It looks good on, covers the lumps and bumps! If I can get my other half to take a photo I will put it on, he's a bit of a grump when it comes to pics! :D