Seasickness patch no longer available? Any alternatives?

SnowshoeCat

My parents are cruising next month. On our last cruise, we hit a storm with very high seas, and a nauseating time was had by all. Except my parents - they were fine. My mother had the prescription patch. When she went to get a new prescription for this year's cruise, she was told it is no longer available.

Does anybody know why? Is there a replacement? Thanks for any info.

If you are talking about the Transderm Scop patch (scopolamine), it is still available. Although your mother's doctor may feel she is now in a category that contraindicates its use and won't let her have it. There are some significant side effects in certain populations that are far worse than the seasickness it prevents.

If you are talking about the Transderm Scop patch (scopolamine), it is still available. Although your mother's doctor may feel she is now in a category that contraindicates its use and won't let her have it. There are some significant side effects in certain populations that are far worse than the seasickness it prevents.

It was the pharmacist who said it was no longer available. Her health hasn't changed since the last prescription, so I don't know if maybe she got the story a little mixed up. I'm thinking of a possible tv commercial: "side effects: dizziness and nausea" but no seasickness :D

I remember a few years ago it wasn't available and then came back.

Anyway, we use an over the counter item called Bonine. The key is to take it before you feel sea sick. Another similar product is Dramamine.

Ask the Physician who prescribed the patch if there are other patches that are available.

Keith

I'm just off a cruise on which I saw a lot of people wearing a patch. I have no idea if it's the Transderm Scop patch or something newer. I used the T-S patch years ago, and while I did not get sick (in the back seat of a small van bouncing around Spain), I felt so yucky (dry, drugged feeling, unable to focus my eyes, etc.), that I wouldn't go back to it.

I use the pressure-point bracelets now ("Sea-Bands" is just one brand name), and swear by them. We just had very rough seas and winds on the Baltic and even worse on the day and night between Lisbon and the Azores. The bracelets worked like a charm.

We get a perscription for the patch every year for our cruise. Just filled it again for next months cruise. Not sure why they would say it's not available anymore. Have been using one for 10 years. Ask her to call the doctors office for a perscription.

My parents are cruising next month. On our last cruise, we hit a storm with very high seas, and a nauseating time was had by all. Except my parents - they were fine. My mother had the prescription patch. When she went to get a new prescription for this year's cruise, she was told it is no longer available.

Does anybody know why? Is there a replacement? Thanks for any info.

Did she have a new presciption or was she trying to fill from last year's prescription? If it was last years, it is probably expired.

One year, a friend tried to get her prescription filled for the seasick patch and because it was the early summer, the pharmacy was all out. I guess too many people getting it for cruises. That might be what happened in your case.

Did she have a new presciption or was she trying to fill from last year's prescription? If it was last years, it is probably expired.

That was my thought. Instead of the patch being no longer available, I bet the pharmacist said/meant her prescription was no longer available and she needed to get a new one.

Sometimes meds do go through availability problems when there is an issue with production. I googled around & could not pull up anything on transderm patches though.

Check with some other pharmacies in your area, or go back to the place your Mom tried to get the Rx filled & ask the pharmacist to explain better.

Another option is if you are close to the Canada border. Transderm is not even prescription there. I ran out on my pacific coastal cruise, patches kept falling off in the shower. I was able to walk into a pharmacy in Victoria & buy them over the counter, no hassle. If it's too much hassle to cross the border maybe you could find a drug store that would fill the order & ship to you.

I get motion sick very easily (watching tv, car, sitting on wharf watching water, 3d movies etc...) and when I asked my doctor about the patch he suggested OTC Bonine; he said the key is to take it at least 2 times 36 hours before sailing and to take it every 12 hours while sailing. I did that and never got sick; not even on the tenders.

I use the pressure-point bracelets now ("Sea-Bands" is just one brand name), and swear by them. We just had very rough seas and winds on the Baltic and even worse on the day and night between Lisbon and the Azores. The bracelets worked like a charm.

They work great for my daughter when she is sea sick.

Another reason is it could no longer be on the approved list of medications from her insurance company.

If her insurance did not approve payment, they certainly should tell her and give her the option to pay for the Rx herself. No pharmacy should simply state it isn't available. Very poor practice.

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all the information. Problem seems to be resolved. It had nothing to do with insurance or contraindications. My mother went to the local pharmacy and it seems they were out of it (or couldn't get it in time, or something). The doctor's office phoned the script to a different pharmacy and they, too, were out, but would get it in soon. So she's all set.

I just hope the seas will be as smooth as the 60 years of marriage they'll be celebrating :D

A funny story about the seasickness patch: Our son nicked his chin while shaving on the Rotterdam this summer, so put a little circular bandaid on it. He forgot all about it and went on a walk around the ship, grabbing a coffee from Explorations Cafe, checking out his email account and finally stopping at the front desk to cash a traveller's cheque. The lady at the front desk looked at him and without batting an eye, whispered "Sir, you're supposed to put the seasick patch behind your ear". LOL - true story.

I've never used the patch, but swear by Bonine or the generic Meclizine. Glad your Mom was able to get what she needed to enjoy her cruise.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all the information. Problem seems to be resolved. It had nothing to do with insurance or contraindications. My mother went to the local pharmacy and it seems they were out of it (or couldn't get it in time, or something). The doctor's office phoned the script to a different pharmacy and they, too, were out, but would get it in soon. So she's all set.

I just hope the seas will be as smooth as the 60 years of marriage they'll be celebrating :D

Glad it worked out for her!

To the OP:

My sister and I always use the patch and only once did we come across a pharmacy that said it was no longer available. What the pharmacist didn't tell us was that it wasn't available at their chain only (Walgreens) but we could probably have filled the prescription at another pharmacy like CVS, Walmart, Etc.

Ask your mother to try another pharmacy to see if it is available there.

A funny story about the seasickness patch: Our son nicked his chin while shaving on the Rotterdam this summer, so put a little circular bandaid on it. He forgot all about it and went on a walk around the ship, grabbing a coffee from Explorations Cafe, checking out his email account and finally stopping at the front desk to cash a traveller's cheque. The lady at the front desk looked at him and without batting an eye, whispered "Sir, you're supposed to put the seasick patch behind your ear". LOL - true story.

I've never used the patch, but swear by Bonine or the generic Meclizine. Glad your Mom was able to get what she needed to enjoy her cruise.

Great story. Also swear by Bonine or the generic.

• 3 weeks later...

That's such a funny story! Bonine works good for us and sea bands. Besides, a crew member had advised to eat something at small intervals and never to keep an empty stomach....THAT really works.

Archived