Celebrity scraps some East Med cruises

derf5585

I was just on the Equinox for a Med cruise and I can see why they'd be apprehensive about leaving too many ships over in the eastern med. Athens had strikes so we couldn't go inside anything historical...the streets were lined with garbage bags....there were military all over and things going on around the city. I can't say I felt scared but I certainly didn't feel "safe". Celebrity even tried to help us out by switching athens and mykonos because they knew strikes were occurring on our original athens port date, but then unfortunately the strikes persisted (though we heard the day before they were not on and people got into things).

I for one would rather spend my money knowing once I get there, I'll be able to see the things and experience the things you hear about. I've gone all the way to athens and only seen the acropolis from the outside. Same with about 9k other passengers that day on various ships. It's a shame. I know it's sad to have them change it when you've already booked it and started dreaming, but at least now you can start the dreaming all over again and look for another cruise that might end up being even better than your original. You never know. :-)

The fact that any of us has the opportunity to cruise is a blessing, often we overlook it. I know I do.

Hi Papa

This itinerary is Rome-Rome, does not call in Athens but includes Egypt and Israel. If the reason behind these changes is passenger safety then why would we be allowed to go to Egypt?

Wow...I really wouldn't count on Egypt...we were on Silhouette Sept 15-27, wonderful cruise but Egypt was cancelled a few months ahead of sail date....and things sure don't seem much calmer there now...we had an extra day in Israel because of it, something I wasn't happy about but turned out WONDERFUL...hope you have a great cruise no matter what..the Silhouette is a beautiful ship with outstanding crew.

Too much going on in the mideast. I had thought about the Holyland cruise or a land trip to Israel. United States has listed many places in the mideast as officially dangerous places for US citizens. Cruise lines try to avoid problem ports. For the time being, I would not book an eastern Med cruise. Try a Rome to Barcelona or a Baltic cruise. One of my all time favorites was up the coast of Norway. Put mideast plans on hold. Or if you do book an eastern Med cruise, be prepoared for changes or cancellations. I booked an Israel trip last year which got cancelled.

Glad to see the Solstice July 10th and Apr 29th cruises are not really affected by this. I have award tickets on AA to get me to BCN on the appropriate dates if either of these come up on a Tuesday special. Hope they come through!

• 1 month later...

I know this thread hasn't been active for 2 months BUT I figure this is as good a place as any to post since it's still relevant.

We are booked on Equinox, Apr. 30th that is supposed to visit, among other places in the Eastern Med, Istanbul as an overnight and is the main draw for us. It was just pointed out to me this morning by someone else on our Roll Call that of all our ports, the only one that is not showing excursions is Istanbul. :confused: This person had the same thing happen on a previous cruise where no excursions where showing up for Egypt and guess what? Egypt was cancelled. So now we're wondering if something is brewing and they might cancel Istanbul. Should we be concerned since the cruise sails in less than 4 months (final payment due in mid-Feb)?

BTW, this is the first sailing for this itinerary for the 2012 season, IF that might have any bearing on it.

well for your sake I hope they are not canceling Istanbul tho is does seem when you look at their overall game plan they are pulling back from the area. But IMO Istanbul has very little or no unrest - it's a shame to avoid that port. Hopefully you are going and it is a very easy port to do on your own tho a small group guide would add immensely to the experience.

Yes, the fact that they have already pulled some itineraries out of the area is why we're a bit concerned. We already have two small groups (with guides) from our Roll Call planned for Istanbul so yes, we are really hoping they don't pull Istanbul. And if they pull it from the first sailing, I'd think they'd pull it for the entire season. :(

I just checked the Embassy's advisories/warnings and the only recent one is re: Ankara.

Yes, the fact that they have already pulled some itineraries out of the area is why we're a bit concerned. We already have two small groups (with guides) from our Roll Call planned for Istanbul so yes, we are really hoping they don't pull Istanbul. And if they pull it from the first sailing, I'd think they'd pull it for the entire season. I just checked the Embassy's advisories/warnings and the only recent one is re: Ankara.

Agree and hope things can be worked out so that you can see Istanbul. It is such a super wonderful city with great history, culture, food, architecture, etc.

Below are a few of my favorite visuals from this charming and dramatic city.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 53,917 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Our first views of Istanbul from our just-docking cruise ship as we smell the sweet blend of this historic Turkish city. YES, you can really smell how “special” is this unique city with so much culture!:

1A-Istanbul-Harbor.jpg

Hagia Sophia, the former patriarchal basilica, later mosque, now a museum in Istanbul. It is a mix of both Christan and Islamic visuals on the inside.:

1A-Istbul-Hagia-Sophia1.jpg

Topkapi Palace was the official and primary residence in Istanbul of the Ottoman Sultans for approximately 400 years (1465-1856) of their 624-year reign. It was the setting for state occasions and royal entertainments. It is a major tourist attraction today, containing the most holy relics of the Muslim world such as the Prophet Muhammed's cloak and sword. At the height of its existence as a royal residence, the palace was home to as many as 4,000 people. After moving to the new Dolmbahce Palace in 1856, the imperial treasury, the library, mosque and mint remained at this location. Below is the main arch you walk through to enter the Palace grounds.:

IstanbulEnterArchSulPalace.jpg

Inside Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar that attracts three million people, here is one of the merchants/artists making us a custom item for our daughter-in-law from pink stones. Check their website: http://www.grandbazaaristanbul.org. It is one of the largest covered markets in the world with 60 streets and 5,000 shops, and attracts between 250,000 and 400,000 visitors daily. It is well known for its jewelry, hand-painted ceramics, carpets, embroideries, spices and antique shops. Many of the stalls in the bazaar are grouped by type of goods, with special areas for leather, gold jewellery and the like. The bazaar has been an important trading centre since 1461 and its labyrinthine vaults feature two bedestens (domed buildings), the first of which was constructed between 1455 and 1461 by the order of Sultan Mehmed the Conqueror. The bazaar was vastly enlarged in the 16th century, during the reign of Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent, and in 1894 underwent a major restoration following an earthquake. Here is a custom item for our daughter-in-law being made there.:

IstMakeJewelery.jpg

Part of this has to be the Egypt problem.

I am hoping for a Holy Land cruise (to include Egypt) for late 2013 - Celebrity, Azamara, Oceania. Looking at the news, I am not hopeful.

Why not also go to Iran, Syria, Libia and Yemen? Almost as safe.

Agree and hope things can be worked out so that you can see Istanbul. It is such a super wonderful city with great history, culture, food, architecture, etc.

Below are a few of my favorite visuals from this charming and dramatic city.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 53,917 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Our first views of Istanbul from our just-docking cruise ship as we smell the sweet blend of this historic Turkish city. YES, you can really smell how “special” is this unique city with so much culture!:

1A-Istanbul-Harbor.jpg

Hagia Sophia, the former patriarchal basilica, later mosque, now a museum in Istanbul. It is a mix of both Christan and Islamic visuals on the inside.:

1A-Istbul-Hagia-Sophia1.jpg

Topkapi Palace was the official and primary residence in Istanbul of the Ottoman Sultans for approximately 400 years (1465-1856) of their 624-year reign. It was the setting for state occasions and royal entertainments. It is a major tourist attraction today, containing the most holy relics of the Muslim world such as the Prophet Muhammed's cloak and sword. At the height of its existence as a royal residence, the palace was home to as many as 4,000 people. After moving to the new Dolmbahce Palace in 1856, the imperial treasury, the library, mosque and mint remained at this location. Below is the main arch you walk through to enter the Palace grounds.:

IstanbulEnterArchSulPalace.jpg

Inside Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar that attracts three million people, here is one of the merchants/artists making us a custom item for our daughter-in-law from pink stones. Check their website: www.grandbazaaristanbul.org. It is one of the largest covered markets in the world with 60 streets and 5,000 shops, and attracts between 250,000 and 400,000 visitors daily. It is well known for its jewelry, hand-painted ceramics, carpets, embroideries, spices and antique shops. Many of the stalls in the bazaar are grouped by type of goods, with special areas for leather, gold jewellery and the like. The bazaar has been an important trading centre since 1461 and its labyrinthine vaults feature two bedestens (domed buildings), the first of which was constructed between 1455 and 1461 by the order of Sultan Mehmed the Conqueror. The bazaar was vastly enlarged in the 16th century, during the reign of Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent, and in 1894 underwent a major restoration following an earthquake. Here is a custom item for our daughter-in-law being made there.:

IstMakeJewelery.jpg

WONDERFUL PICTURES!!! No, they can't cancel this port on us!! I just think X has forgotten to load excursions on the website....or they are lost somewhere on the site....we all know how "user friendly" it is!!:D:eek:

I know we're still speculating here but any ideas of the location they'd replace Istanbul with?

I can't imagine what unrest they're talking about. There has been absolutely no unrest in Istanbul-there was an air raid in the far border with Iran but that was an isolated incident and thousands of miles away. It would be like not going to New York bc of an incident in Atlanta.

WONDERFUL PICTURES!!! No, they can't cancel this port on us!! I just think X has forgotten to load excursions on the website....or they are lost somewhere on the site....we all know how "user friendly" it is!!

THANKS! Glad to know you're a person of such class, great taste and wonderful judgment. Appreciate the kind comments on my pictures.

From our experience in Istanbul, it is much friendlier and western-interested than some other more-challenged places in the Middle East. Hope things work out to see Istanbul.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I know we're still speculating here but any ideas of the location they'd replace Istanbul with?

I can't imagine what unrest they're talking about. There has been absolutely no unrest in Istanbul-there was an air raid in the far border with Iran but that was an isolated incident and thousands of miles away. It would be like not going to New York bc of an incident in Atlanta.

I did read this week that there was some type of small protest in Istanbul after the botched government raid on people in the area of Turkey near Iraq.

Just checked our tour excursions and noticed the same thing about our Istanbul port date.

Others out there have any idea what they will substitute for our two day stop in Istanbul if they replace it????

If Istanbul is scrapped, we will cancel. We've already been to Ephesus and Athens. We choose Celebrity because our ususal line Princess dropped Istanbul last year AFTER finaly payment and I didn't want to risk it. We already have plane tickests to and from Rome, but we'll do a land trip instead if they drop it. They must tell us before finaly payment. Please don't diss me with the ususal line about if you really have to see a port... I choose this cruise to see Istanbul.

t

Hi, sunshine nana. I'm with you (literally, since we're on the same cruise ;)) - if they are going to cancel Istanbul, we'll cancel. We've already been to Athens, Kusadasi, and Santorini. The whole point was to see Rome and Naples and do an overnight in Istanbul. Fortunately we have not booked plane tickets yet because we haven't been able to come up with frequent flyer seats yet.

lovestx - it is not comforting to hear that you don't find any excursions for Istanbul either. What's your sailing date?

I tried calling the Captain's Club today but they were closed because of the holiday. Will try tomorrow but of course we all know that sometimes X customer service knows less than we do. :(

If Istanbul is scrapped, we will cancel. We've already been to Ephesus and Athens. We choose Celebrity because our ususal line Princess dropped Istanbul last year AFTER finaly payment and I didn't want to risk it. We already have plane tickests to and from Rome, but we'll do a land trip instead if they drop it. They must tell us before finaly payment. Please don't diss me with the ususal line about if you really have to see a port... I choose this cruise to see Istanbul.

I agree. My parents chose this type of cruise to see Ephesus, Athens and Santorini. We chose it to see Istanbul. What stinks is that most other Med cruises of this type do the typical round of Spain, France and western Italy which we aren't interested in at all. So that would limit us quite a bit. We would probably cancel this cruise and try something else.

I looked on Celeb's site-I don't see what you're talking about, regarding the Istanbul excursions not being listed by your cruise-mine were, for May 21st. Am I looking at the wrong thing?

I will add, we of course want to be safe obviously...but its irritating when one or two minor incidents get hyped up. hope this doesn't happen, and if anything is cancelled its for legit reasons. There's protests all over NYC right now with dozens and dozens of arrests, and even violence, but NYC is open for business.

I looked on Celeb's site-I don't see what you're talking about, regarding the Istanbul excursions not being listed by your cruise-mine were, for May 21st. Am I looking at the wrong thing?

When you looked, did you log in to My Celebrity, go to your actual reservation, select "manage your reservation", and then look under the Excursions tab and see them listed? That's where they don't show up for ours (Apr. 30).

Got it. Nope, mine aren't listed either. Could it be that they are just evaluating whether or not a particular excursion is safe?

Canceling that port doesn't make sense to me- I just read the news article regarding this and the Istanbul protest was a peaceful demonstration. Would they cancel bc of that, or could it be another reason?

Got it. Nope, mine aren't listed either. Could it be that they are just evaluating whether or not a particular excursion is safe?

Canceling that port doesn't make sense to me- I just read the news article regarding this and the Istanbul protest was a peaceful demonstration. Would they cancel bc of that, or could it be another reason?

Thanks for confirming. I doubt that is the reason (evaluting excursion safety) because they offered this itinerary this year and I'd bet money these same excursions were offered.

This thread started a few months ago because it made no sense for X to change the holy land itineraries into wine tasting cruises and yet, keep other dates with the same itinerary intact. Passenger safety or X's bottom line? Only Mr. Hanrahan knows for sure. :rolleyes:

Celebrity if you MUST cancel...please do it for Valetta and Positano!

Not Valetta - we've already been there, too. ;) And we're already going to be in Positano when we dock in Naples. So nope, you've got to pick somewhere else. (yeah, like X will listen to us)

Archived