Celebrity scraps some East Med cruises

derf5585

That was my understanding too (and I could be wrong). Same with us that we were focused on information that pertained to us as we wanted to switch to a different sailing date and itinerary. We're still waiting to hear back as to our original $300 Passages obc and Celebrity's compensation obc (TA said $200 obc but no written confirmation from Celebrity yet) for our transfer to the Antarctic cruise. I see the cruise in My Celebrity, but have no written confirmation from the TA. I suspect she is waiting for Celebrity to confirm their obc and the combinability of Passages and their obc. Celebrity most likely has a lot to address with changes in itineraries, transfers of bookings, determination of compensation, complaints, etc.

Hopefully Celebrity recognizes that impacted cruisers are expecting some compensation (nice obc or upgrades for example & ability to combine obcs in this case) for the disappointments and hassles the cancellations have caused and to entice them to re-book with Celebrity and not abandon Celebrity for a cruise on HAL, Princess, or another cruiseline. Celebrity usually comes through for all of us, albeit a little slowly sometimes, so let's hope this is another case that they demonstrate why it is that so many of us choose to cruise with them.

Best wishes to all. I hope we all get answers by early next week. Some TAs are hard at work today, so some of us could get answers today. Please post if so.

Kathy

Everyone immediately jumps to "compensate me".....Of course there are some who have situations where compensation is reasonable (if you have booked non refundable air tickets), but there are many who just are in "gimmee" mode (think about that as you read this note...you don't have to tell us). If you have a valid reason for expecting compensation, I am sure that a short, clear letter to celebrity with the facts and what you would like Celebrity to do will get the ball rolling. For those that are retired and find that they may have to leave on a slightly different date, what do you want Celebrity to do? Perhaps you would have prefered to go ashore in Athens and get into a mob scene, etc. We are more than 8 months away from the changes on the Constellation....how much of a hassle could this really be? Sure, it may be disappointing, but I don't think Celebrity really has to compensate you for the hassle and disappointment...but if you feel you have a special case, write Celebrity a note explaining why you are special with the facts and what you want them to do.

Everyone immediately jumps to "compensate me".....Of course there are some who have situations where compensation is reasonable (if you have booked non refundable air tickets), but there are many who just are in "gimmee" mode (think about that as you read this note...you don't have to tell us). If you have a valid reason for expecting compensation, I am sure that a short, clear letter to celebrity with the facts and what you would like Celebrity to do will get the ball rolling. For those that are retired and find that they may have to leave on a slightly different date, what do you want Celebrity to do? Perhaps you would have prefered to go ashore in Athens and get into a mob scene, etc. We are more than 8 months away from the changes on the Constellation....how much of a hassle could this really be? Sure, it may be disappointing, but I don't think Celebrity really has to compensate you for the hassle and disappointment...but if you feel you have a special case, write Celebrity a note explaining why you are special with the facts and what you want them to do.

I agree

what do you want Celebrity to do? Perhaps you would have prefered to go ashore in Athens and get into a mob scene, etc.

Perhaps you could explain to me why Celebrity still has some ships in the same time frame going to Athens? Don't they care about those people?

I think your response to Nancy was uncalled for.

As for me, all I want is similar cruise that goes to Istanbul for the same price I contracted for. It remains to be seen if that will happen. They are available. If you consider me to be in the gimme mode, that's your right I guess.

Cynthia

A poster on the CS Holy Land board for Nov. 6th cruise has indicated that she has contacted X and they told her that a decision concerning Athens stop will be made by Monday. I've e-mailed a friend currently aboard who is very close to the Captain to find out what he can. Uue Sera, Sera.

LunaSeaRetreat Cynthia: Thank you. We also live in Sussex - not too far from you. Likely your nearest town is our nearest town. I hope everything works out for you. You will like Istanbul and Turkey. I feel Celebrity and TAs will answer soon; they just have a lot to work through right now but that answers will be coming early next week.

I could ask why is it that some immediately "jump" on posts asserting assumptions that may not be correct. ;) I'm assuming you aren't specifically directing your post at me or anyone in particular and are just talking in generalities as you obviously don't know me and most likely don't know most of the people on this thread. I can't speak for anyone else, but I will not be writing any letters to Celebrity; I have no reason. Maybe others have a good reason; that is not for me to determine of course. We immediately transfered our booking to an Antarctica cruise and will be taking that cruise whether or not we get an additional obc. I have cruised often with Celebrity (& RCI & Azamara) and intend to continue to do so.

Celebrity usually comes through from what I have seen on Cruise Critic. People may not have answers as soon as they like, but I expect Celebrity will provide needed answers.

LunaSeaRetreat Cynthia: Thank you. We also live in Sussex - not too far from you. Likely your nearest town is our nearest town. I hope everything works out for you. You will like Istanbul and Turkey. I feel Celebrity and TAs will answer soon; they just have a lot to work through right now but that answers will be coming early next week.

I could ask why is it that some immediately "jump" on posts asserting assumptions that may not be correct. ;) I'm assuming you aren't specifically directing your post at me or anyone in particular and are just talking in generalities as you obviously don't know me and most likely don't know most of the people on this thread. I can't speak for anyone else, but I will not be writing any letters to Celebrity; I have no reason. Maybe others have a good reason; that is not for me to determine of course. We immediately transfered our booking to an Antarctica cruise and will be taking that cruise whether or not we get an additional obc. I have cruised often with Celebrity (& RCI & Azamara) and intend to continue to do so.

Celebrity usually comes through from what I have seen on Cruise Critic. People may not have answers as soon as they like, but I expect Celebrity will provide needed answers.

You are correct...it was a general statement to those who are claiming hardship and pain from the change and want "compensation"....it's a little like "pain and suffering" in a legal case....but this isn't a legal case and they gave plenty of warning...in time for most to make other plans.

You should be the poster child for how to respond when a cruise is changed/cancelled.....you booked another cruise. My point about letters was, of course, that if someone was really were harmed by the change (already bought non refundable air tickets,....), then tell Celebrity in a letter. If someone is just annoyed for whatever reason (and it's understandable), there's not much value in letting it fester....just go and book another cruise...and if you want to punish celebrity, go on another cruise line.

You are correct...it was a general statement to those who are claiming hardship and pain from the change and want "compensation"....it's a little like "pain and suffering" in a legal case....but this isn't a legal case and they gave plenty of warning...in time for most to make other plans.

I see what you mean. My choice of the word "compensation" may not have been a good choice of words as it probably had a legal tone to it that I certainly did not mean. Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't trying to incite legal action. lol. Celebrity is our favorite cruiseline.

I was actually trying to be supportive both of people who were disappointed and Celebrity & TAs who currently have busy hands/minds with the changes and booking transfers. I was hoping by posting the answers I got from our TA and our status, it might help some. I don't like to see people abandon Celebrity when usually they are quite reasonable in resolving issues.

I will be out of town until Thursday and may not have Internet access or the opportunity to post until I return. (Just the thought of that makes me shutter :eek: - not the posting part but the potential lack of access.) I wish success to all of you who are impacted, with hopes that you get it resolved and are able to book another desirable cruise that is equally attractive to you.

Kathy

I, for one had three cabins booked for the 8/22/12 Holy Land tour on Silhouette. I also had reserved the air independently. I specifically booked this trip due to the fantastic time we had this year on the Silhouette. Now I'm stuck with air reservations, having to reschedule everyone, and dealing with the X bean counter stupidity. I thought I might have found a cruise line worth staying with but this decision by Celebrity, canceling cruises inside of 10 months to launch, is pushing me away. I have switched my Holy Land booking to Princess.... and my future business also. Way to go (NOT) X. BTW, the cabins were 2 AQ and 1 CS. Not chump change.

Perhaps you could explain to me why Celebrity still has some ships in the same time frame going to Athens? Don't they care about those people?

I think your response to Nancy was uncalled for.

As for me, all I want is similar cruise that goes to Istanbul for the same price I contracted for. It remains to be seen if that will happen. They are available. If you consider me to be in the gimme mode, that's your right I guess.

Cynthia

Like it or not, Celebrity changed the itineraries because it made economic sense. These cruises were not selling. I believe there is limited demand for cruises to the Holy Land and Greece right now. Is that due to the unrest in these countries or the astronomical cruise fares Celebrity is trying to get for their European Itineraries? I don't know. I do know Royal Caribbean was nearly giving away their 12 day itineraries that included Israel this fall. I can see people being disappointed, but give me a break, those affected are between 8 months and a year away from traveling. Find a new trip/itinerary on a new ship or even a different cruiseline that fits your budget. Celebrity isn't the first cruise line to do this and they won't be the last. I'm sorry this happened to everyone, but in the course of life, it really isn't a big deal.

Like it or not, Celebrity changed the itineraries because it made economic sense. These cruises were not selling. I believe there is limited demand for cruises to the Holy Land and Greece right now. Is that due to the unrest in these countries or the astronomical cruise fares Celebrity is trying to get for their European Itineraries? I don't know. I do know Royal Caribbean was nearly giving away their 12 day itineraries that included Israel this fall. I can see people being disappointed, but give me a break, those affected are between 8 months and a year away from traveling. Find a new trip/itinerary on a new ship or even a different cruiseline that fits your budget. Celebrity isn't the first cruise line to do this and they won't be the last. I'm sorry this happened to everyone, but in the course of life, it really isn't a big deal.

I would love to go on another Eastern Med cruise that included Istanbul and Israel. Egypt can wait until we see if the MB takes over.

Limited demand?? You obviously were not on any of the Holy Land cruises run up to now. Packed ships. the problem is X's new found desire to nickel and dime everything. These were the BEST Holy Land cruises out there and I have yet to read one negative review about them. BIG mistake to alienate so many high end cruisers. This decision to radically change booked itineraries inside of 10 months where many people had already booked their air given what the airlines are pulling lately, will come back to haunt upper management.

Things are not going any better. "Sigh"

Had found a replacement cruise with Constellation, instead of the Med islands & Istanbul itinary to try the Northern Europe itinary. As I already posted this is two days shorter and price of OV is what my balcony was on the cancelled cruise.

Yesterday found some of the popular cabins still open and notated prices.

Today (Monday NZ, but Sunday US) most of the popular ones are gone and the prices are now even higher then in the weekend, so incredibly expensive. At least $ 2000 more then my original budget.

Well maybe fate is telling me not to go with Celebrity or to wait till after final payment date and to take pot luck with my flying dates.

To top it off my new US TA does not work till Tuesday, so now have to wait till my Wednesday to find out how to go from here.

Things are not going any better. "Sigh"

Had found a replacement cruise with Constellation, instead of the Med islands & Istanbul itinary to try the Northern Europe itinary. As I already posted this is two days shorter and price of OV is what my balcony was on the cancelled cruise.

Yesterday found some of the popular cabins still open and notated prices.

Today (Monday NZ, but Sunday US) most of the popular ones are gone and the prices are now even higher then in the weekend, so incredibly expensive. At least $ 2000 more then my original budget.

Well maybe fate is telling me not to go with Celebrity or to wait till after final payment date and to take pot luck with my flying dates.

To top it off my new US TA does not work till Tuesday, so now have to wait till my Wednesday to find out how to go from here.

Waihekean, we will be coming in your direction Feb 2013 with a Top End Australia cruise. We will likely do one that includes NZ in the next few years.

Waihekean, we will be coming in your direction Feb 2013 with a Top End Australia cruise. We will likely do one that includes NZ in the next few years.

Hope you do, come in our summer and way in advance!!

Welcome to New Zealand, Land of the big white cloud:D

Phew, top of Oz in Feb, should be tropical. Enjoy your planning..

I do NOT! These are radical itinerary changes. They basically replaced the original schedules with totally new cruises. So, yes, X owes us something more than a $50 on board credit.

Me thinks that the OP and this Sarah would not be talking like this if they would have to fork out thousands more then their original booked cruise.

As far as I can see; nobody really did not "jump" on the compensation wagon. Everyone is just trying to asses what Celebrity is going to do. So far it is from absolutely nothing, cruise is cancelled, to $200 OBC.

I do NOT! These are radical itinerary changes. They basically replaced the original schedules with totally new cruises. So, yes, X owes us something more than a $50 on board credit.

Why do they "owe you more".

Other than having to change your plans and perhaps being disappointed that you won't be able to take that specific cruise, what loss have you incurred?

I assume that you will get your deposit back in full...and your TA won't charge you for the cancellation.

We always book very far in advance and I always hold my breath until about 6 months out because at anytime my cruise could be chartered, ports dropped, itinerary changed etc. It hasn't happened yet, and yes I would be disappointed, but I am aware it could and I know it is in the contract that the cruise lines can make these changes. If we had air booked I would hope they would cover the change fees but anything over that would be a bonus. I was just about to book CS to do a B2B before our Silhouette TA when these changes came so we are up in the air as well. After the cxl I checked our insurance and we would not have been covered in Egypt:eek: because Canada has a Non Essential Travel advisory for that country. My bad that I hadn't checked beforehand. I think this is one of the problems that the cruise lines are facing. DH is quite happy to go elsewhere until these areas are somewhat stable - these wonderful places aren't going anywhere.

We were booked on a B2B on the Connie starting Sept 5 in Amsterdam and finishing in Istanbul. We were really looking forward to the trip. Our TA notified us on Oct 13 that the Wine Cruises were being substituted. What a disappointment! The offer by X was a $400 OBC on the substitute cruise or any other that we chose. We made the switch to the Solstace (Sept 8) B2B on Oct 14 and got the Cruise week special of another $200 OBC for a total of $1200 for the 2 cruises. At least that helps to ease the disappointment.

Barry

We have rebooked on the September 4 Venice to Venice cruise. It looks like a lovely cruise. I believe it was completely changed from one of the Holy Land cruises. Some of the others who must find a new cruise may want to check it out. In order to do this we down graded our cabin and still had to pay over $2000 more.

FYI The $200 can be combined with the stockholders credit

Good luck to the others of you who are struggling with this.

I have learned my lesson. Twice in two years is too much. I will only be booking last minute cruises from now on. I will miss the planning but will save it for my land based trips.

Cynthia

Why do they "owe you more".

Other than having to change your plans and perhaps being disappointed that you won't be able to take that specific cruise, what loss have you incurred?

I assume that you will get your deposit back in full...and your TA won't charge you for the cancellation.

I'm still waiting for my deposit to get credited back by X. I also lost a couple thou on cancelled airline reservations. These cruises were selling like hotcakes on board our 8/11 trip. So, yes, I am not a happy camper and am in the process of sending a letter to Hanrahan.

Archived