single/double change

grandmacruise

I don't actually know the answer to this question, but I'm betting the the 2nd person would have to actually create their own booking and pay what ever the going rate is. The 1st person would be credited the extra fare they have paid up to that point.

I have my dad booked into an inside cabin by himself.

Adding my son will cost an additional 83.00

Is that taxes and fees?? doesnt really say if there is extra fare or if the fare for 2 is locked in when one person books which is what the OP needs to know.

OP sorry, I have only booked two into a cabin and then had one be a no show, so I know you will get the extra taxes and fees back doing it that way.

Is that taxes and fees?? doesnt really say if there is extra fare or if the fare for 2 is locked in when one person books which is what the OP needs to know.

OP sorry, I have only booked two into a cabin and then had one be a no show, so I know you will get the extra taxes and fees back doing it that way.

the total amount for me to add the 2nd person is $83.00 (sounded way to low for me)

but even when I go to do a booking for 2 people-- I just add on the 83.00 and that is the going price for two people

Has anyone booked a single then added a person to the booking making it a double? How is it handled? Do you just get charged the extra taxes because the single is already the cost of a double?:confused:

I have done this once and only had to pay the port fees and taxes...

:)

I have done this once and only had to pay the port fees and taxes...

:)

With Carnival, you are charged the port fees for 2 even though it's a single. The only thing they don't charge for is the tax for 1 person. That's why it costs so little to add a second to your solo cabin, but costs so much to book solo.

On RCL for example, if you are a single, you are charged for only one tax and one port fee. Makes the cost MUCH less than double whereas on Carnival you are charged just a little less than double.

i did that before but through RCL. i was sailing with a friend and her husband (i had my own room) then my mom said she could get off work and also join me. i had already paid $2000 for myself going alone.(charged me double on taxes and port fees which i expected) i looked up at the cost of the cruise and it was the same, so i thought oh good i just have to pay the taxes (thinking since i am basically charged for 2 people right away cause you pay double)...so i called RCL to add my mom, it was an extra $600. i asked if the port charges and taxes were really that high, they said no its also a difference in price. i tried telling them its the same price (same category). i just said fine and paid the freaking $600. i also did it when my brother joined me on carnival...all i had to pay were the taxes.

i did that before but through RCL. i was sailing with a friend and her husband (i had my own room) then my mom said she could get off work and also join me. i had already paid $2000 for myself going alone.(charged me double on taxes and port fees which i expected) i looked up at the cost of the cruise and it was the same, so i thought oh good i just have to pay the taxes (thinking since i am basically charged for 2 people right away cause you pay double)...so i called RCL to add my mom, it was an extra $600. i asked if the port charges and taxes were really that high, they said no its also a difference in price. i tried telling them its the same price (same category). i just said fine and paid the freaking $600. i also did it when my brother joined me on carnival...all i had to pay were the taxes.

first of all, RCL doesn't charge double tax and port on a single booking. Second, you should have hung up and called back to get someone who knew what they were talking about. No way you should have pd $600 to add a person in your cabin.

I've just booked three short solo cruises (B2B2B). I paid the solo rate (200%). I checked with my PVP before finalizing, that if I wanted to add someone, it would just be adding taxes & port fees. He confirmed yes.

I just emailed a friend last night, inviting her to join me if she could. Since she lives in Florida, it's easy for her, if she can get any time off work.

Something else to be aware of: I'm sailing in Oct - historically not a full month. If you were sailing at a very popular time, the ship could be at full capacity for lifeboats, and you might not be able to add someone, even though you have space in your cabin.

Has anyone booked a single then added a person to the booking making it a double? How is it handled? Do you just get charged the extra taxes because the single is already the cost of a double?:confused:

Host Mach has it right according to what I was told. I booked the Dream a year ago and during a call on another matter I asked what it would cost if I added a second person. I was told the taxes and port fees. I know Fire. :D

My brain just woke up! Was the rate you paid really 200%? Not all solos are 200%, though that's usually the standard. I travel solo sometimes. Maybe that was the added cost to make up the full fare. I recently added someone to a cruise on NCL, I had a reduced solo rate, he was charged the other 50% to make it full rate for him.

My brain just woke up! Was the rate you paid really 200%? Not all solos are 200%, though that's usually the standard. I travel solo sometimes. Maybe that was the added cost to make up the full fare. I recently added someone to a cruise on NCL, I had a reduced solo rate, he was charged the other 50% to make it full rate for him.

So NCL only charges 150% for solo?

Also, I dont think any line should be charging double port charges if you are cruising solo

Host Mach has it right according to what I was told. I booked the Dream a year ago and during a call on another matter I asked what it would cost if I added a second person. I was told the taxes and port fees. I know Fire. :D

I see my name and wanted to say something but held my tongue.

cruisefare includes port charges.

If you are solo you pay both cruisefares (which include port fees) and one add on fees and taxes.

I dont know why Host Mach doesnt know that the add on fees and taxes do not include the port charges. .. but many dont seem to know this. (he doesnt cruise solo so maybe that is why)

You do pay double cruise fare, hence you pay double port charges with Carnival. Solos used to not pay double, it would be subtracted out of the cruisefare .. but that was not one, but two changes ago.

I see my name and wanted to say something but held my tongue.

cruisefare includes port charges.

If you are solo you pay both cruisefares (which include port fees) and one add on fees and taxes.

I dont know why Host Mach doesnt know that the add on fees and taxes do not include the port charges. .. but many dont seem to know this. (he doesnt cruise solo so maybe that is why)

You do pay double cruise fare, hence you pay double port charges with Carnival. Solos used to not pay double, it would be subtracted out of the cruisefare .. but that was not one, but two changes ago.

you are right as far as Carnival, but not all do this. RCl does not include the port charge in the cruise fare for the second person in a a solo cabin.

you are right as far as Carnival, but not all do this. RCl does not include the port charge in the cruise fare for the second person in a a solo cabin.

Yes, I was speaking of Carnival and saw host mach's post above and know they only pay the add on taxes and fees, not add on port fees with Carnival.

might be worth looking into in the future ... what ship?

Again, I might have gotten a promo. I was on Sun. Check into V to G, they have a section with singles discounts. Some are very good. If you haven't been on that site, just punch in a cruise of any type, once it's there, there is a menu on the left that will have a column of discount catagories.

I think I paid the full 200%. I just booked the cruise a few weeks ago, solo. They said the $76.78 was for taxes and fees.

Yesterday early, my cruise rate was $598. Now, since my friend was added, it's $299 for a 5 day cruise.

Again, I might have gotten a promo. I was on Sun. Check into V to G, they have a section with singles discounts. Some are very good. If you haven't been on that site, just punch in a cruise of any type, once it's there, there is a menu on the left that will have a column of discount catagories.

You posted this on another message board and I explained that it was smoke and mirrors, says it includes up to 100% supplement.

In ALL cases Carnival charges solos 200% of the fare you choose. There are never any lower discounts, despite what some TA sites show with fake other rates, then showing 200% of the ES rate, and then stating you saved XYZ.

Dont keep falling for this and posting this as it is not accurate unless you state that beware its always 200% for solos.

I just paid 200% for my solo triumph cruise.. my PVP says there are no rates for solos less than 200% of the rate at this time. Carnival does not offer lower solo supplements.

Archived