Family cruise with multi aged kids

glln

Hi,

I am planning a cruise for my children ( 32-37) and 2 of my grandchildren ( 2-3 yrs) We wan to know which cruise line would have the most to offer- we are going in Jan-2013 to the Caribbean- either Royal Car., Princess or Celebrity. We will be with other families with an age range of ( 2 yrs) up through 70 years.

We have traveled Celebrity & Princess ourselves many times. Is Royal Car. a step down from those 2?

Thanks, Lynne

It may be a "step down" in regards to food, but RCI has alot to keep the younger kids occupied and busy. If you have a port intensive schedule, any ship will do...it's simply transportation.

If you like alot of sea days, RCI will have plenty for everyone...except that 2 year old....only a few ships have anything for those under 3. Also, if pools are importants, check each ship for "splash zones"....not all ships allow diapered ones in the pools.

You should definitely consider RCI. I've done a couple of "multi-generation" cruises with them and found they do a very good job with features and activities that appeal to many age groups. But a ship with a "splash zone" for the non-potty trained kids should be a high priority.

I'd make sure to chose a line that had childcare for the 2 year olds. I "think" DCL is the only line that has splash zones for non-potty trained kids, and childcare. NCL and Carnival has childcare, but no splash zones. RCI has some ships with splash zones for the diaper crowd. I'd potty train the 2 year olds, to allow more options. There are plenty of things to do on all of the newer ships - when my children were toddlers, my biggest concern was finding things for my kids to do.

RCI's newer ships (Freedom and Oasis class) have baby splash zones for the diapered set. They also have nurseries as well as in-cabin baby sitting available as well as "mommy and me" type playtimes for the smallest ones who are not old enough for the kids' clubs as well as a lending program for toys to keep the toddlers occupied. There is also a ton of things to keep the adults happy as well.

I'm going to suggest Freedom since it's not quite as big and overwhelming as Oasis yet has plenty to do (rock climbing wall, flowrider, minigolf, basketball court, ice skating, etc.) and will be cheaper as well.

I'm going to suggest Freedom since it's not quite as big and overwhelming as Oasis yet has plenty to do (rock climbing wall, flowrider, minigolf, basketball court, ice skating, etc.) and will be cheaper as well.

We did a family cruise on Freedom with 19 of us, ages 2-60. It was great, and there was a lot to do for all ages. See if the parents of the 2yo want to be able to send them to a kids club - Royal won't be a good choice if they're planning on that. It was big enough that we could all separate and do whatever we wanted in smaller groups, but small enough we ran into each other and sat together at dinner (well, 3 tables, but near each other).

The time of year and destination leaves us with the Adventurer of the Seas or Brilliance and I think the first one is our best choice. I do not know if the Adventurer has a 'splash zone' though.

Thanks for you help.

Lynne

The time of year and destination leaves us with the Adventurer of the Seas or Brilliance and I think the first one is our best choice. I do not know if the Adventurer has a 'splash zone' though.

Thanks for you help.

Lynne

No, it does not.

Archived