Inside Cabin Storage Space - Room for a footlocker???

Deb in Markham

We're cruising on the Golden to Hawaii on the 26th (can't wait!!!) to celebrate my mom's 75th birthday. My sister and I are sharing an inside cabin on the Dolphin deck across from my mom's mini suite. She wants to bring a footlocker onboard. Is there room to have something that large at the end of her bed? :confused:

How much space is available under the beds for storage? On the Disney Magic there was only about three inches clearance under the bed-not enough room to slide our suitcases underneath.

Will the room stewards store your suitcases for you once you unpack? That wasn't the case on Disney, but I have a vague recollection of someone posting that they do on Princess.

Thanks for your help--really appreciate it.:)

We're cruising on the Golden to Hawaii on the 26th (can't wait!!!) to celebrate my mom's 75th birthday. My sister and I are sharing an inside cabin on the Dolphin deck across from my mom's mini suite. She wants to bring a footlocker onboard. Is there room to have something that large at the end of her bed? :confused:

How much space is available under the beds for storage? On the Disney Magic there was only about three inches clearance under the bed-not enough room to slide our suitcases underneath.

Will the room stewards store your suitcases for you once you unpack? That wasn't the case on Disney, but I have a vague recollection of someone posting that they do on Princess.

Thanks for your help--really appreciate it.:)

You'd be able to slide suitcases under the beds (we do it all the time). There may be room on the floor of the closet in your cabin for a footlocker.

You'd be able to slide suitcases under the beds (we do it all the time). There may be room on the floor of the closet in your cabin for a footlocker.

You refer to your cruise pictures in this post. Do you know if there are any pictures of obstructed view cabins among them. I'm trying to put together a website with as many pictures as possible. If you have some, would you mind if I use them?

Theo

The pertinent question is why does she need a foot locker? Does she intend to bring that much stuff or is it some kind of nostalgic idea from the days of yore when cruising involved steamer trunks covered with stickers from your ports of call?

Something as large as a foot locker may cost big time luggage fees depending on your airline besides being a general pain in the butt to haul around. Many of those trunks can cost you up to half of your baggage allowance on many airlines.

There will be room to store it in the cabin.

Having said that I hope you guys have a great cruise and for your sake you switch to a normal suitcase.

The pertinent question is why does she need a foot locker? Does she intend to bring that much stuff or is it some kind of nostalgic idea from the days of yore when cruising involved steamer trunks covered with stickers from your ports of call?

Something as large as a foot locker may cost big time luggage fees depending on your airline besides being a general pain in the butt to haul around. Many of those trunks can cost you up to half of your baggage allowance on many airlines.

There will be room to store it in the cabin.

Having said that I hope you guys have a great cruise and for your sake you switch to a normal suitcase.

Thanks--I'm sure the cruise will be awesome.

She lives in LA, so no airline baggage fees involved! Phew...

She wants to bring along some of her jewelry making supplies and have a place to lock up her computer. I'm trying to talk her into a locking suitcase, but since I'm not really sure what size all her Jewelery making equipment and supplies is, it's hard for me to visualize. I'm in Canada and she's in LA.

When you say there will be room, how much? I have to live in that cabin too for two weeks and I don't really want to be knocking into the foot locker every time I get up to pee in the middle of the night?!?!;)

:D As a Brit, I would just love to know what a footlocker is!!!

I sailed on the Star, for thirty days with a friend, in an inside cabin, and we had ample room for hanging all our clothes plus we stored all our suitcases under our beds, there was plenty of room.

You refer to your cruise pictures in this post. Do you know if there are any pictures of obstructed view cabins among them. I'm trying to put together a website with as many pictures as possible. If you have some, would you mind if I use them?

Theo

No, we've never stayed in an obstructed view cabin. We've stayed in oceanview, balcony, mini-suites and insides... If your 'site is free, then you have my permission to use any photo that you like...

Luggage is much easier to store than a footlocker. In fact, in all my years of cruising, I have never seen a footlocker being loaded onboard. I would try to talk her into something else a bit easier to store or she will be tripping over that footlocker (unless she gives up her closet space) for the duration of the cruise.

jefa-This is a footlocker.

i51V6f0P0kBVDti4LQYvGD8FplDxp-kgrBt7x92cB9N_DNDyXvIIuIq4qKdMHT9E9Wyq4JgCYiM426nh6V3ukQRgFgdxesDcn0uDBaE4r8D-9QRwL5c37UqzmpE8zurn2qZ_pxgSDn4Wg2iu9fKJysKQrL9HQ2kFB-O6Rx4fWZ1VJx_wYDHNw_KNqOM=s220-c

I suppose if you are driving to the port you could....take a foot locker. Store it at bottom of of your closet or ask your room steward to put it somewhere out of the cabin. Of course, you will give it to him empty. If he does this for you, please tip him extra.

BTW, we each travel for 10-12 days with one wheel on piece and a large over the shoulder tote. We wash clothes x1 on board and pack lots of mix and match,one foldable dressy outfit (we are both female so no bulky suits for us), wear walking shoes, jeans, sweatshirt and jacket while flying.

Advantages: no luggage fees, no waiting to disembark, no waiting at airport baggage site, etc.

Thanks everyone. I am trying to talk her out of the footlocker and into a locking piece of luggage to lock her computer in. We've only sailed on Disney, but had computers, DVD players, etc. with us and never worried about locking them up. She's worried about her Mac though.

If I can't talk her out of it, how much of the closet space would a typical footlocker take up? I need/want half the closet space and don't want her footlocker in my way in the closet either.

Can you tell I'm worried I may not be able to talk her out of it?

Thanks everyone. I am trying to talk her out of the footlocker and into a locking piece of luggage to lock her computer in. We've only sailed on Disney, but had computers, DVD players, etc. with us and never worried about locking them up. She's worried about her Mac though.

If I can't talk her out of it, how much of the closet space would a typical footlocker take up? I need/want half the closet space and don't want her footlocker in my way in the closet either.

We leave out laptop out all the time. I know some would not be comfortable doing that so another suggestion might be to get a laptop cable lock and lock it to the something in the room. ;)

If it helps, the closets in inside cabins are typically about 24" deep and 5' to 6' wide. There are no closet doors. You can see the cabin floor plan on the Princess web site. Sis would probably be able to shove the footlocker into the floor of the closet. If she is going to accessing it frequently for the supplies or laptop, then storing it elsewhere on board probably won't work for her.

It depends on the size of the footlocker, but I would say it would probably take up 2/3's of the floor space in the closet if you slide it in longways. But remember, if it sticks out, your bathroom door opens to the closet, and so does the storage closet with shelves. I guess she could store it upright, and then it would only take up probably less than 1/4 or less of the closet space. But that would make it difficult to get into and out of for her.

You can tell her from me, I have sailed on 28 Princess cruises, and many of those I took my computer, always leave it out on the desk, and never had a problem one. If she is concerned about the room steward using it, tell her to put a password on it. But it will not be stolen, they treasure their jobs more than that. ;)

She would be better off bringing two good sized suitcases and then storing them under her bed. A footlocker would be a real waste of space and you could get just as much stuff into two 28" suitcases.

I have seen a lot of BIG suitcases, but I have never seen a footlocker in the luggage bins or on a cruise ship.

I think there would be plenty of room to store the foot locker on the closet floor space. It wouldn't take up much space from most of her hanging clothes unless she has a lot of floor-length gowns.

But like everyone else who has posted about laptops on this thread, we leave ours out in the cabin, usually sitting on the desk. It's so old that I'm sure the cabin steward wouldn't want it.

Here are a couple of pictures of an inside cabin on the Golden Princess. The open closets are just outside the bathroom door, and are quite large. I would think that a footlocker would fit on the floor there nicely.

5425191907_4ca40b26fa_z.jpg

Golden Princess by Jasperdo, on Flickr

The second photo is a look at the cabin space. As you can see, there's isn't a lot of floor space. A footlocker would not work at the foot of the bed. It might fit in the space, but the desk would be unusable.

5425796110_47d9a323f2_z.jpg

Golden Princess by Jasperdo, on Flickr

I just can't stand it any longer!

Leave the d... foot locker home!!!!!

You will be so sorry if you take it. And, if you are flying, try getting a cab or bus to and from the port while hauling that big thing around. Try getting a luggage handler to help you. And, if flying, wait to you see how much the airline will charge you, if they let you board with it, at all. Better check all this out with both the ship and the airline and plan to get a massage while on board to soothe your aching back .;)

As I say to my Great Dane "leave it!"

And, I will admit, this is absolutely none of my business. But, you did ask.

Another vote for not taking a footlocker.

Not that it won't fit in the room closet, but it's going to be very hard to maneuver around on embarkation and disembarkation days. I've stayed mostly in inside rooms and Princess has very nice closet space.... which you will want to use for your clothes, shoes, packages and other items. Two women can easily take up the whole closet on a 2 week trip.

Computers, camera, other electronics are safer in your cabin than anywhere else during your trip. The staff will not touch them.

My sister does jewelry making and she carries a lot of stuff with her when she travels between her summer and winter homes, but it really would be better if it could fit in standard wheeled suitcases which will tranfer more easily and fit under the bed.

My other thought is, if she wants to spend a lot of her time working on jewlery, why bother cruising? I love the Hawaii cruise itinerary and find that the sea days are busy doing things you've paid for, new things, learning, having fun in ways you can't at home... but just my humble opinion.

Have a fun time together though, that's what counts. m--

Another vote for not taking a footlocker.

Not that it won't fit in the room closet, but it's going to be very hard to maneuver around on embarkation and disembarkation days. I've stayed mostly in inside rooms and Princess has very nice closet space.... which you will want to use for your clothes, shoes, packages and other items. Two women can easily take up the whole closet on a 2 week trip.

Computers, camera, other electronics are safer in your cabin than anywhere else during your trip. The staff will not touch them.

My sister does jewelry making and she carries a lot of stuff with her when she travels between her summer and winter homes, but it really would be better if it could fit in standard wheeled suitcases which will tranfer more easily and fit under the bed.

My other thought is, if she wants to spend a lot of her time working on jewlery, why bother cruising? I love the Hawaii cruise itinerary and find that the sea days are busy doing things you've paid for, new things, learning, having fun in ways you can't at home... but just my humble opinion.

Have a fun time together though, that's what counts. m--

I won't bother typing in my opinion - just read the one I have quoted. I agree completely.

Don't take the foot locker. no-one will pinch your stuff.

We always leave computer, camera, e-book readers, iPods laying about the cabin and nothing has ever gone missing.

Normally we wouldn't leave cash laying about, but we have accidentally done it -- came back after the steward has cleaned, and the cash was untouched. As Toto said, they value their job too much to throw it away on our used electronics!

Oh, and I would refuse to travel with someone intent on bringing a footlocker! I can't think of anything more useless -- sorry! I've cruised with my sister that packs at least three of everything she might possibly need/want, plus enough clothes for a month (on a seven day cruise) and she still managed to only have two suitcases!!

Archived