Weight Watchers in the Lido

ASIWISH

For discussion sake, I wonder how guests would feel if HAL dedicated a section of the Lido to a company like Weight Watchers. They could offer entrees that met the dietary rigor of their program and could display Points values. I now they have healthy choices in most every section, but what if it was even easier for guests?

I think that, even though I'm on vacation, I'd like to have the choice to select entrees that are in line with a weight loss program. Seems to me that it COULD be a competitive advantage over the other cruise companies...

I would maybe even pay a couple dollars to participate in a weekly weigh-in in one of the conference rooms. Could it be an added source of revenue for HAL?

Portioning and entree selection would be important, but I think TGIFriday's did it successfully.

I know most people will say, "You're on vacation, eat what you want!", but I wonder how many will say, "I'm on vacation, but that doesn't mean I want to gain weight!".

Thoughts?

(Disclosure: I don't work for Weight Watchers... just watching my weight!)

For discussion sake, I wonder how guests would feel if HAL dedicated a section of the Lido to a company like Weight Watchers. They could offer entrees that met the dietary rigor of their program and could display Points values. I now they have healthy choices in most every section, but what if it was even easier for guests?

I think that, even though I'm on vacation, I'd like to have the choice to select entrees that are in line with a weight loss program. Seems to me that it COULD be a competitive advantage over the other cruise companies...

I would maybe even pay a couple dollars to participate in a weekly weigh-in in one of the conference rooms. Could it be an added source of revenue for HAL?

Portioning and entree selection would be important, but I think TGIFriday's did it successfully.

I know most people will say, "You're on vacation, eat what you want!", but I wonder how many will say, "I'm on vacation, but that doesn't mean I want to gain weight!".

Thoughts?

Well, for one thing the "Bread Pudding" would have to be either eliminated or hidden from view! :D

At home my wife and I are "claories in, calories out" type of people...so while on board we say to each other...we're on vacation!

And I say..."WHERE'S THE BREAD PUDDING!"

So Weight Watchers...not so much.

A WW leader in the past recommended that while on vacation - write everything down so you are somewhat accountable & you have to look at it but don't calculate the points....I have found that since I have a desk job that we are so busy walking around and always try to use the stairs that I haven't gained more than a few pounds.

I don't like the idea.

I happen to think South Beach a better eating plan.

Someone else prefers Atkins.

Another person wants something else.

We are all responsible for making personal choices without HAL endorsing a 'diet plan'.

I have strong feelings against such a thing.

I've been on three cruises since starting Weight Watchers last year. I've lost 65 pounds and have about 30 more to go.

I think after some time on the program, one becomes very familiar with selecting the correct foods, portion sizes and preparation methods. Also I'm really not sure how in a Lido-type buffet situation, a points count could be accurate.

I've never counted points on any cruise, but have not had any issues with gaining. I was up 2 pounds after one, but I blame that on wine consumption nightly and more sodium than I normally consume. It disappeared quickly. I made sure I got lots of exercise, never taking an elevator unless I was wearing more than 3" heels. I did eat dessert on occasion, but have found that a few bites is enough.

As for weigh-ins, I would assume the gym would have a scale if you'd like to check yourself at the beginning and then again later on for comparison. I know many WW members are very particular about weighing in on different scales. I'm not sure that a formal weigh-in would be popular. I would not be willing to pay to attend a meeting on board. I'm already paying for the meeting I'm missing at home.

I love the Aqua Spa cafe on Celebrity and wish there were something similar on HAL. It's open for breakfast and lunch and has a variety of good choices. At dinner (or lunch in the dining room) there are always spa cuisine entrees that are prepared and sized appropriately. From the HAL menus I've seen, that also appears to be the case with Greenhouse Spa choices. I'll find out in just five more weeks!

One of the things I'm most looking forward to trying HAL for the first time is the full promenade. The jogging tracks on the ships I've been on have been up top and it's always just been too windy while we're under way. Not to mention, it's usually 12 laps or so to a mile. I always, always lose count somewhere around 8 to 10.

Nope -- I don't like the idea either.

For those that do follow diets -- there are just too many out there -- Jenny Craig, Weight Wacthers, South Beach -- you wouldn't be able to please everyone.

I remember years ago that there was some kind of a diet entree each evening in the dining room -- can't remember the woman's name -- also some items available in the Lido. It didn't go over.

. Suggest getting a cabin forward on a Vista Class ship & you won't gain a pound. .

I wish it were that easy. I exercise 7 days a week at home and keep quite active on a cruise. That wouldn't do a thing for me. I think you are pretty lucky. I do watch what I eat at home but that doesn't translate to vaycay. Like so many other posters have said I think it's your own responsibily to watch what you do or don't eat.

My advice to anyone who is concerned about their diet: STAY AWAY FROM THE BUFFET WHENEVER POSSIBLE. You are much less tempted to stray when you are served in the MDR instead of seeing all the food in front of you in the Lido.

This is funny coming today. I was at the DRs. for my annual physical and he complimented me on losing weight since last year (not much, but some). I said I did not want to be weighed after my next cruise on HAL and he said "I do well except that I gain on the bread pudding!"

Like the rest, I know what I should eat (and not eat) and I climb the stairs if I can.... I usually don't gain much if any, and lose it as soon as I get home. On a 77 day cruise I actually lost 5 pounds.

Susan

As a life member of WeightWatchers, I would love to see PointsPlus values displayed on some of the prepared dishes available in the Lido. But I realize that might be difficult for HAL to do, especially since the WW point system changes from time to time.

One of the benefits of WW is that it is supposed to help us learn habits and skills regarding healthy eating and lifestyle that will work in the "real world." One of the skills is knowing how to "guesstimate" points values when dining out, and another is knowing how to make good choices from a menu or buffet. And as others have said in this thread, HAL does offer some healthy choices - salad veggies, fruit, etc. The decision to stick with those items is just a matter of motivation and self-control. So, much as I would love for HAL to spoon-feed ;) PointsPlus values to its guests, especially on dishes that have a sauce or a lot of different ingredients, that isn't really necessary to enable us WWers to stay on program, at least roughly.

To the OP: Think of a cruise as a continuous opportunity to practice those "real world eating" skills! Guesstimate, track, and visit the gym daily. Keep a "victory log" of temptations resisted, and healthy choices made. It's not easy, but if you can stay on plan on a cruise, you can do it ANYWHERE! :)

I don't like the idea.

I happen to think South Beach a better eating plan.

Someone else prefers Atkins.

Another person wants something else.

We are all responsible for making personal choices without HAL endorsing a 'diet plan'.

I have strong feelings against such a thing.

The only diet I will endorse is the SEE FOOD DIET I see food and I eat it!!:)

Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Walk around the deck on Lower Promenade three times each morning. Book a cabin either way in the bow or way in the stern. That's what I've been doing for years and I gain maybe a pound on a cruise. Not much, and I can lose that in a week back home. Enjoy!!!!:p

WW is a trademark and a FOR PROFIT company -- they do not do this for the simple joy of helping others. Companies pay to use their logo and point systems. I would not appreciate the price of my cruise going up so that the lido could display the points values. Every item that uses the WW logos, endorsement, etc. is about twice as expensive as the same item that does not (scales, etc.). Plus certain quality standards would have to be maintained and would be subject to audit (that the cruise line would have to pay for).

I'm not saying I disagree with anything anyone here is saying, except that everything WW does is not twice as much. TGIFriday's menu was priced the same as other items on the menu and the retail products are marginally more than others...

... but, I would challenge that Oceania Cruise lines has gotten a ton of good press over the decision to brand their spa Canyon Ranch... and has the fitness center come to add cost, or has been a tool to compete against other ship's amenities. The difference being obviously, like LeCirque, guests have the CHOICE to pay for them.... and are not required.

I'm about 30 pounds over weight, and I assure you the last thing I want to do on a cruise ship is eat healthy.. but, i figure this is an interesting conversation.

My process is to lose about 5-10 pounds BEFORE the cruise, then put it all back on!!!! Crazy, but hey, we all have to have a system right?:D

Thoughts?

Why do you need weight watchers to tell you how to watch your weight?

If you are involved in the program wouldn't you be able to pick a choose things off the buffet that you can and can't eat that would fit into your program?

I know absolutely nothing about weight watchers, but if you are in a program and you can't eat out with out someone or something telling you what you can and can't eat then honestly that program isn't doing you any good.

You need to learn to make decisions based off what is healthy for you. Very few people would be interested in a "weight watchers program" on a ship because it 1) takes away vaulable space to the buffet area 2) people want to let it go on vacation, and they don't want it in their face that there is dedicated area for those that are still dieting on vacation.

I will say this, I always watch my weight and what I am eating on cruise and most of the times I either stay the same weight or lose a pound or so on my cruise, mostly because I am sleeping more, working out more and I am more active then I usually am during a regular week.

Thoughts?

I like the idea! It's great to enjoy your cruise, but why come home as tonage? ;)

While I am a Weight Watcher and might find this helpful, I think it misrepresents the program to speak of dietary rigor. With the Points Plus plan, one can eat anything, just not everything.

However, I still find it challenging to figure the preparation method and know how much butter or oil was used in preparation. Perhaps posting nutritional info for one healthy eating option, including a vegetable not swimming in oil or butter, would help.

Archived