Blu dress code - change

Albert Ross

Here is from the X website:

Evenings aboard Celebrity include two types of dress: "Smart Casual and Above" and "Formal."

"Smart Casual and Above"

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

"Formal" attire:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or a dressy pantsuit.

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the appropriate attire each evening. A casual dress code applies at all times onboard Celebrity Xpedition®.

well aware of what is on the website - but if true, it is a change in policy regarding the specialty restaurants.... and the website is not at all clear about that.... again, i am likely to cancel if there is no good option for me to obey the rules/follow the dress code/ but not have to dress up...

Not happy with the change - we will still dress up on formal nights when we are in Blu or we will see if we can switch to the MDR certainly for the first formal night. We have found we could go select to the MDR once or twice by prior arrangement

looked through the web site and saw nothing about changes for Blu, but as to other dress code pages:

Looks to me the pages are pretty messed up and unclear right now.

If you look at the main page which discusses evening wear:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/tabLanding.do?pagename=onboard_dining&tab=onboard_proper_dining_attire_tab%2Fonboard%2FtextPanel.do%3Fpagename%3Donboard_proper_dining_attire

It seems to me the location of the formal descriptions and the first "renting formalwear" heading are out of place. As is the page is very confusing. Also, if you look under the specialty dining tab and click on "proper dining attire" it just gets you to this same page which doesn't identify whether there are any different rules for the specialty restuarants or not.

But if you go to the "packing" page and click on "evening attire" it does have the same past descriptions of formal and casual that we've seen before although it does not identify which nights are which nor where - but rather to see the daily program once you board.

The FAQ's are unchanged showing the same nights and rules as we've seen over the past year or so such as this FAQ link and this FAQ link and others as well.

The website has always been messed up, that is the problem. It says all over the web site that Blu is a Specialty restaurant and then says all specialties are "smart casual" every night. Some have come back saying that Blu in fact is formal and others saying it is "smart casual." That has caused numerous discussions on this board and created a problem especially for those who only use the the web site for their info...

As to the OP on this thread, it needs to be confirmed...

Info received today:

Although the dress code in Blu (dining venue for AquaClass guests) has always mirrored the dress code of the main dining room, the *NEW* dress code for Blu will now be “Smart Casual and Above” for all nights of the cruise. As a note, the dress code for all speciality dining restaurants is already “Smart Casual and Above” for all nights of the cruise. The main dining room is the only venue where formal attire is required on formal nights.

That should put an end to all the dress code discussions :rolleyes:

Albert:

Appreciate your posts but you need to provide a source. You did the same thing a few weeks ago when you reported they would not open up adjacent verandas which was clearly not the case. Need a source..

See below with regards to dress code in Blu and the other specialty restaurants. At first he replied that they would be participating in formal nights. After verifying, he went back to smart casual in all restaurants except Blu.

Chat Content:

Mike S.: [11:42:14 AM] Thank you for contacting Celebrity Cruises, how may I assist you today?

Allison: [11:42:14 AM] Has the dress code changed for the specialty restaurants so formal is required on formal nights? Is Blu considered a specialty restaurant or does it follow the dress code of the main dining room?

Mike S.: [11:43:42 AM] Yes Formal nights will be required formal attire on formal nights. Any other night the specialty restaurants will be casual. Blu is a specialty dining for Aqua Class guest. They will allow require formal attire on formal nights

Allison: [11:44:43 AM] When did this change take place? Previously formal dress was not required in the specialty restaurants.

Mike S.: [11:46:01 AM] This Change took affect over a year ago. The only time Specialty restaurant will ask for formal attire is on the formal night to match the ship.

Allison: [11:47:57 AM] If it took place over a year ago, your website was not updated until the last day or two. This is conflicitng information from when I booked. I hear a lot of people book specialty restaurants on formal night to avoid having to dress formally.

Mike S.: [11:49:30 AM] Allison give me one moment I will contact my Specialty Department to verify again on the Dress Code

[11:51:58 AM] Allison my apologies. I Spoke with the Specialty Department who advised they were originally going to go Formal on Formal Nights but they are sticking with the Smart Casual every night during the cruise. So no formal attire will be required.

Allison: [11:52:24 AM] Does this apply to Blu too?

Mike S.: [11:54:33 AM] No, Blu even though it is a specialty restaurant for Aqua Class guest I am advised they will have formal attire on formal nights.

Allison: [11:54:49 AM] Thank you for your help.

Mike S.: [11:55:14 AM] Your welcome Allison! Is there anything else I may assist you with today?

ok.... so i can quit panicking and looking for other vacations in the San Juan area for Feb (already have non refundable air tickets)....phew! still able to conform to dress code without having to dress formal or eat in buffet or room.... guessing they are getting this question a lot today - wonder when we will all get a big clarification email?

I have read numerous times on the cruise critic blog that Blu is not considered to be a "Specialty Restaurant" but rather an alternative MDR for Aqua Class passengers.

Blu is not an alternative MDR for AQ passengers, it replaces the Main dining room...

Hi Everyone,

I'm not doubting Albert Ross, but as others have asked for verification, I've asked Celebrity. Should I hear anything further, I will post on this thread. Stay Tuned !

Don,

We are trying AQ for the first time in March but don't want to eat in Blu most nights. We are travelling with a large group and have "select" dining to be with them in the MDR. I have been reading lately that it might be a problem? Do you think so, or do we just show up at the time we selected for "select" dining?

Thanks,

Lucy

Hi Andy--

hope you get to the bottom of this as Sal & I will be dining in BLU on all of our future cruises..& we usually bring our formal clothing as per what has been listed in the dailies for formal night in BLU..

seems the Celebrity website & other customer assistance once again leaves us all in a state of confusion...I think they need a "protocol dept."

Thanks

HCAT

I love the formal nights and dress up on every one! It's the highlights of our cruise. Nothing better for us, than getting all dressed up for dinner as rarely do it here at home so it's the only time we get to do this.

We recently stayed in an Aqua class cabin on the Solstice on 29th Sep and each formal night we ate in Blu. On those nights, people (well men!) who turned up without formal wear on, were given a jacket to put on so seems they still adhere to the formal nights.

Saying that though, there was also a few people without formal wear on who were dining too so not sure how strict they are.

Don,

We are trying AQ for the first time in March but don't want to eat in Blu most nights. We are travelling with a large group and have "select" dining to be with them in the MDR. I have been reading lately that it might be a problem? Do you think so, or do we just show up at the time we selected for "select" dining?

Thanks,

Lucy

If you want to eat in Blu just show up, all you need is your room key. The only problem you may have is if your friends have traditional dining in the MDR as there may not be a place for you to sit. If they also have select, should not be a problem.

This transcript should clear it up once and for all:

Celebrity Rep: Thank you for contacting Celebrity live online chat, how may I help you?

Me: What is the dress code in Blu on formal nights?

Celebrity Rep: Blu is a specialty restaurant for Aqua Class guests and the dress code is formal on formal nights.

Me: What is the dress code in the specialty restaurants on formal night?

Celebrity Rep: The specialty restaurants dress code is always smart casual and above, on all nights.

Me: Is Blu a specialty restaurant?

Celebrity Rep: Yes, Blu is a specialty restaurant for Aqua Class guests.

Me: But didn't you say that the dress code in the specialty restaurants is always smart casual?

Celebrity Rep: Yes, the specialty restaurants are always smart casual and above.

Me: So wouldn't the dress code in Blu always be smart casual and above then?

Celebrity Rep: No, Blu is a specialty restaurant for Aqua Class guests.

Me: So how can the dress code in Blu be formal on formal nights if it is a specialty restaurant and the dress code for the specialty restaurants is always smart casual and above?

Celebrity Rep: Yes.

Me: Huh?

Celebrity Rep: Thank you for contacting Celebrity online help, have a good day.

Don,

Most of us resemble your remark. Age has it privileges in that we can sometimes forget the old rules and not be concerned about it.

However, my wife and I are still the old-fashioned type. We believe that a person going to a fine dining establishment should dress for the occasion. My wife looks great in her evening attire and I enjoy wearing a suit or tux. For our cruise next week, we will be packing heavy with lots of formal dining attire.

Will we "look down" on others wearing blue jeans and such - NO. They are entitled to wear what they want. We just like to show our respect for the environment in which we dine and the employees who will be dressed to the nines as they used to say. I can tell you, we always have exemplary service.

LOL - hilarious.

We'll prob be in formal dress in Blu regardless for our Nov cruise. However, would still like to know what the actual official answer is, as we tend to dress on the more casual side of formal (cocktail dress instead of gown, suit instead of tux).

Celebrity Rep: Thank you for contacting Celebrity live online chat, how may I help you?

Celebrity Rep: Blu is a specialty restaurant for Aqua Class guests and the dress code is formal on formal nights.

Celebrity Rep: The specialty restaurants dress code is always smart casual and above, on all nights.

Me: But didn't you say that the dress code in the specialty restaurants is always smart casual?

Celebrity Rep: Yes, the specialty restaurants are always smart casual and above.

Me: So how can the dress code in Blu be formal on formal nights if it is a specialty restaurant and the dress code for the specialty restaurants is always smart casual and above?

Gonzo:

Who's on first?????

If you want to eat in Blu just show up, all you need is your room key. The only problem you may have is if your friends have traditional dining in the MDR as there may not be a place for you to sit. If they also have select, should not be a problem.

I am not so sure that just showing up for Select dining would be OK of Select Dining is fully booked. Our our most recent cruise they checked your card whenever you entered the Select Dining area to make sure that you were Select Diners. I suspect that it would be dependent on the cruise and if Select dining was fully booked.

Archived