Naughty Room

wezie

Just returned from an 11 day on the the Dawn and I was called down to the naughty room for a cooler bag filled with a case of Diet Coke and a Case of Coke Zero. Which is allowed by NCL so I was not breaking any rules.

I had to stand in line for 45 minutes to retrieve a perfectly legal cooler bag just after sailaway. They could have easily opened the bag and determined it was nothing but soda and saved us both the time. Not only that I had to haul it up to the 9th deck from the 4th deck. No offer of assistance at all. I was not happy.

So I decided to stop at the Guest Services desk and asked to speak to the Hotel Director. The clerk asked what the problem was and I relayed the above to her. She asked what could be done to resolve the situation. I told that I felt dinner was in order. She told me it could be anywhere but Tepanyaki. No problem - I'll take Le Bistro.

I'm satisfied.

Tell me if this will be OK pls. I plan on bringing 4-6 bottles of wine, and a 6 pack of 16.9 oz. diet "bottle" coke. I was going to put all of it in a carry on size suit case and I know I'll have to declare my wine and pay the corkage fees. My question is, will I be able to pay my corkage fees, show them the diet coke and take it all with me until my cabin is ready??? I know some put a luggage tag on their coke or water and say it gets delivered to their cabin. But since I'm going to have my wine and will carry it on, I figure I'll just carry my coke too since I'll have room in the carry on. Seems like most posts/pics I've seen were cases of "can" coke with the luggage tag on them. Thanks,,,

Just returned from an 11 day on the the Dawn and I was called down to the naughty room for a cooler bag filled with a case of Diet Coke and a Case of Coke Zero. Which is allowed by NCL so I was not breaking any rules.

I had to stand in line for 45 minutes to retrieve a perfectly legal cooler bag just after sailaway. They could have easily opened the bag and determined it was nothing but soda and saved us both the time. Not only that I had to haul it up to the 9th deck from the 4th deck. No offer of assistance at all. I was not happy.

So I decided to stop at the Guest Services desk and asked to speak to the Hotel Director. The clerk asked what the problem was and I relayed the above to her. She asked what could be done to resolve the situation. I told that I felt dinner was in order. She told me it could be anywhere but Tepanyaki. No problem - I'll take Le Bistro.

I'm satisfied.

I hated working the naughty room and I did it every week. I was the one who went down and organized the bags, delivered letters informing the guests their bags were there and delivered the letters. Even as Guest Service Supervisor I had to do that each embark! I would feel so embarrassed by how long the lines would be for people to get their bags.

Glad to hear Guest Services made it right.

Tell me if this will be OK pls. I plan on bringing 4-6 bottles of wine, and a 6 pack of 16.9 oz. diet "bottle" coke. I was going to put all of it in a carry on size suit case and I know I'll have to declare my wine and pay the corkage fees. My question is, will I be able to pay my corkage fees, show them the diet coke and take it all with me until my cabin is ready??? I know some put a luggage tag on their coke or water and say it gets delivered to their cabin. But since I'm going to have my wine and will carry it on, I figure I'll just carry my coke too since I'll have room in the carry on. Seems like most posts/pics I've seen were cases of "can" coke with the luggage tag on them. Thanks,,,

You can do that and shouldn't have any problems.

I am curious about the NCL process. Do they xray every piece of checked luggage? Does anyone know about the other cruise lines?

I've never had to worry about this. I normally cruise Princess and we can bring wine as we like, just not hard stuff.

Thanks, and take care!

I think they do xray every piece of luggage but whether they catch everything or not is another matter dependent on time, training, attentiveness, etc. You may bring wine onboard NCL also as long as you pay the corkage fee.

• 1 year later...

On our last cruise we spent a few days on Oahu and bought my son-in-law a bottle of beer. We kindly turned it in when we arrived. We kept checking for our luggage to be delivered and found our invitation to the naughty room. They asked if we had alcohol we told them we gave him the beer. The guy says oh yeah I remember you. Wanted to know what else we had in suitcase. We told him it was a bottle of hot sauce. He said okay and we were on our way. Did not see any other passengers, but I believe we were the last ones to pick up our suitcases because the room looked pretty empty. I was surprised we did not have to open our suitcase.

On our last cruise we spent a few days on Oahu and bought my son-in-law a bottle of beer. We kindly turned it in when we arrived. We kept checking for our luggage to be delivered and found our invitation to the naughty room. They asked if we had alcohol we told them we gave him the beer. The guy says oh yeah I remember you. Wanted to know what else we had in suitcase. We told him it was a bottle of hot sauce. He said okay and we were on our way. Did not see any other passengers, but I believe we were the last ones to pick up our suitcases because the room looked pretty empty. I was surprised we did not have to open our suitcase.

I would imagine you did not have to open your suitcase as you had already established a level of honesty with him. When you said "it was a bottle of hot sauce" it rang true. Besides, he was probably ready to get out of there as well!

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Except for the last -3- posts not much activity here regarding the taboo

subject of Bringing Booze On Board (BBOB) !

Anxious to hear the triumphant cheer of another successful rum running

expedition.

Anyone know if NCL does it's own scanning for contraband or do they

contract it out at each origin port ?

If so some contractors in sensitive cities i.e. NYC could be more

aggressive in finding such contraband.

From what I have seen on previous cruises the scanner(s) used to screen

passengers getting on the ship are relatively early 1st generation TSA

scanners- fine for boarding the masses in a hurry to weigh anchor.

Looking for the WMD; large caliber hand guns and Crocodile Dundee Bowie

Knives otherwise everything else is a non-issue.

I have never been "invited" to the naughty room, and I have brought many a jug onboard. I don't drink any longer, but I do remember the many ways I smuggled hooch on the ships. One time in St. John on the Victory, I was walking onto the ship, and the bottle slipped from my belt right after I passed thru the scanner. Yeah, landed right on the deck in front of everybody. After a few snickers, and my red faced smile, the guy on the scanner gave me the jug and said keep moving. It was funny at the time, and I got alot of smiles from pax later on. Heck, even the comic on stage pointed me out during a performance. Lots of laughs, and a big hand. (He asked me if he could point me out before the show). It's alot tougher to bring booze now, but it is still hit or miss. I think that 80-percent gets on board, and good for them.

If the cruise line suspects there is alcohol in the luggage when they x-ray it they deliver it to the naughty room (which is different location on each ship I believe). They will leave a phone message in your cabin and you must go down and open the suitcase for them so they can inspect it. If they find a sealed bottle of liquor they will hold it until the end of the cruise, if the liquor is in another type of container they just toss it out. You then have to take your own luggage to your cabin, they don't deliver it after the naughty room inspection.

I haven't taken a bottle onboard a ship since I was in my early 20s. Never knew the cruise lines did this! Too funny!

We took a 3 night cruise on NCL Jewel in November. Traveling with 8 couples. We all attempted to smuggle aboard. Everyone had their items taken. Everyone went to the "naughty room". No one cared. We were on vacation with friends and no kids! :)

Oh, one person had airplane bottles in his luggage and those remained. Another took vodka in 2 different water bottles as carry-ons (onto the ship)...one was taken and she was able to grab the other before they knew what was going on. This all happened at the scanners at port.

NCL did not lose out on any money with this group. Multiple adult beverages and several bottles were purchased over the 3 day cruise.

(and before anyone judges, 8 adults were leaving a total of 20 kids at home. We deserved a break and some adult fun) :p

You can look at it this way, the original, sealed bottles that go unclaimed at the end of the cruise allegedly make their way below deck to the crew bar...so in a way, you are actually "helping" out those hard-working NCL crew members after hours!!! hehehe

Of course, wouldn't know that personally, just heard it from a friend who knew somebody who had a friend who tried to bring booze on board (wink, wink).

Has to be the original bottles because they can't be sure what's in the "special" water bottles!

I recently went on the jewel during spring break and we bought a 1.75L bottle of smirnoff which we poured into 2 capri sun pouches and a listerine bottle and had no issues our luggage was in our room within an hour of boarding.

I recently went on the jewel during spring break and we bought a 1.75L bottle of smirnoff which we poured into 2 capri sun pouches and a listerine bottle and had no issues our luggage was in our room within an hour of boarding.

How do you pour into the Capri Sun pouches?? First I've heard of that!

How do you pour into the Capri Sun pouches?? First I've heard of that!

Must have used a syringe, seems like a little too much work.

To those who think they don't look in your bag are wrong. NCL looked through my bag and left a note in there saying they did. Unfortunately I never put it in the obvious places like suitcases. Brought 80 oz of vodka for an 11 day cruise. Think outside the box.

Must have used a syringe, seems like a little too much work.

To those who think they don't look in your bag are wrong. NCL looked through my bag and left a note in there saying they did. Unfortunately I never put it in the obvious places like suitcases. Brought 80 oz of vodka for an 11 day cruise. Think outside the box.

i actually jsut poured it lol the old capri sun pouches were getting molded so they were remade into these resealable pouches as shown in the pic and its like a rum runner ! only cost 88 cents plus u get juice in it. !!!!warning drink the juice before filling it with alcohol :)))

capri-sun-pouch.jpg.14987b1ca22e529e46726867d03a5e89.jpg

I brought a case of diet coke on board the Star in March. I taped it and tagged it with our NCL luggage tag and tried to give it to the porters to check in. I was told I had to carry the soda on....that the only way to bring any berverage on board was to carry it by hand.

I don't know if that was a line rule, a ship rule or a port rule...but it was someone's rule. So any bag with any liquid in it that is checked is probably a candidate to get searched.

I carried my soda on by hand and had no problems (other than having to carry on a case of soda....which is not the lightest carry on I have ever managed).

At no time did anyone ask me to open the case of diet coke and show that the cans were indeed diet coke. Just sayin'.

I brought a case of diet coke on board the Star in March. I taped it and tagged it with our NCL luggage tag and tried to give it to the porters to check in. I was told I had to carry the soda on....that the only way to bring any berverage on board was to carry it by hand.

I don't know if that was a line rule, a ship rule or a port rule...but it was someone's rule. So any bag with any liquid in it that is checked is probably a candidate to get searched.

I carried my soda on by hand and had no problems (other than having to carry on a case of soda....which is not the lightest carry on I have ever managed).

At no time did anyone ask me to open the case of diet coke and show that the cans were indeed diet coke. Just sayin'.

The porters in New Orleans will not accept cases of water, soda etc.

i actually jsut poured it lol the old capri sun pouches were getting molded so they were remade into these resealable pouches as shown in the pic and its like a rum runner ! only cost 88 cents plus u get juice in it. !!!!warning drink the juice before filling it with alcohol :)))

When I grow up, I want to be like you!

Really? I just want to enjoy a drink on my balcony without spiliing half of it on the way from the bar or wait an hour before room service brings it. I paid for wwhat I am bringing I didnt't rob a liquor store on the way to the pier. Lighten up, its vacation!

I am just returning to NCL after many, many years on Princess, Celebrity, and RCI. I know things are changing in the industry but come on. I have read through these posts and am not looking forward to boarding. Do I really have to be worried about packing mouthwash, or larger than travel size shampoo or perfume, or anything because NCL is worried that I am sneaking liquor on? This isn't they way I want to start my vacation. If I am called to the naughty room for an empty thermos or travel mug or innocent non alcoholic liquid, etc, I am going to be mightily angry. I suppose now I must change my packing methods and while I usually walk on the ship without carrying anything, except jewelry, I now must lug any suspect item with me. If the motive is to catch small amounts of alcohol, NCL lighten up!!!!!! These tactics are making me question my return.

On the other hand, if the motives stem from airline rules and regulations about volatile, explosive liquids, etc. then I understand. But they need to notify passengers in a similar way that the airlines do. I suspect that since they haven't done this, it is all about the alcohol.

I am just returning to NCL after many, many years on Princess, Celebrity, and RCI. I know things are changing in the industry but come on. I have read through these posts and am not looking forward to boarding. Do I really have to be worried about packing mouthwash, or larger than travel size shampoo or perfume, or anything because NCL is worried that I am sneaking liquor on? This isn't they way I want to start my vacation. If I am called to the naughty room for an empty thermos or travel mug or innocent non alcoholic liquid, etc, I am going to be mightily angry. I suppose now I must change my packing methods and while I usually walk on the ship without carrying anything, except jewelry, I now must lug any suspect item with me. If the motive is to catch small amounts of alcohol, NCL lighten up!!!!!! These tactics are making me question my return.

On the other hand, if the motives stem from airline rules and regulations about volatile, explosive liquids, etc. then I understand. But they need to notify passengers in a similar way that the airlines do. I suspect that since they haven't done this, it is all about the alcohol.

It was my understanding that all of the lines checked the luggage for alcohol except for those those lines that allow passengers to bring liquor onboard. I love how people violate the rules and the cruise line gets blamed for enforcing the rules.

Archived