Star versus Spirit: Which would you choose?

ktcruiser

Hi, I'm picking out a Christmas cruise and see that the Star and Spirit have very similar Western Caribbean itineraries, except that they go out of different ports (Tampa versus New Orleans). So for us it comes down to - which ship to choose? I was leaning towards Spirit only because I like New Orleans as a port better than Tampa - BUT we'll be leaving 12/25 and coming back 01/01, so.. not like there will be much of an opportunity to experience the city during the holiday! Guess that reasoning bites the dust.

So if it came down to just the ships, which would you choose, if you have the perspective of being on both? I know this may be limited by the fact that Spirit recently went thru a dry dock refurb... I was a little wary of her b/c she's older and hadn't been refurbed since 2008 but now I see the upgrades, esp with a galley in the buffet, I feel a bit more positive towards her, although she's small.

We're just a 30-something couple, no kids, don't generally use a lot of fancy cruise amenities. Oh, I do need a halfway decent fitness center, that's all. And good food! :D

Thanks!

We chose the Star because we wanted a suite, and there are very few on the Spirit (and i think none that hold 4 pax). But that might not be a factor for you. I like itineraries that include at least 4 ports, so both worked for that!

I've been on both and enjoyed both. I was on the Star before her refurb. and the Spirit after hers. It would be a real give-and-take to decide which one for me. I lke the layout of the Star a bit more. The Spirit had a great Indian dinner. I could go on like that for a page or two. So, I guess I'd take which ever one I could get the best deal and was easiest to get to. We have to travel a fair bit so that's important. But, I really do love NOLA.

I guess I'm not really much help. Have a great Christmas cruise.

Have cruised Star 4X and will board the Spirit for the 5th time next month. while we love both ships, the Spirit comes out on top for us as far as total cruise experience.

Tampa is a nice port and easy to maneuver but the French Quarter can't be beat for a pre- or post-cruise stay.:)

And in our own opinions, the crew and officers of the Spirit can not be beat. We've sailed the ship under different Captains, CD's, HD's and concierges and the entire crew always seem to be so upbeat and helpful. They sail as a true family.

The ships' layout' and decor are quite different since Spirit was built to sail in the Asian markets and reflects that style in its decorations and cabin designs. But then that is another reason we like the ship. It's not the ``norm'' in western world cruise ships.

We are going to miss the Spirit when she sails off to Europe next year, but the Star offers us a great alternative.:cool:

Dianne

For me it is the Star. The main reason I am 40 minutes from the port in Tampa. If I had to fly the decision might be a little more difficult. I have been on both ships and the Spirit is not my favorite in the fleet. It has some qualities I like more then the Star like the aft area with bars and terraced decks. I like the overall feel and layout of the Star far better. That is just me.

I would much rather fly into Tampa airport. It is great and very close to the port. Everything being equal I would select the Star. If I could get a better fare, cheaper air and hotel I would consder the Spirit or if I could spend a few days in the French Quarter.

Sorry no real definitive answer.

easy the Spirit because it has a forward observation lounge and also a great aft end outdoor area to lounge at with a bar etc. The Star sees confined by the lack of these two items--NCL IMHOP made areal mistake by eliminating the Stars forward observation lounge--one of the reasons she was pulled from the Alaska itinerary.

Also New Orleans is great pre or post vacation site.

BG

We've been on Star twice and Spirit once - everyone has hit the points pretty much. If you are doing a suite, the Star is going to give you more options, but the Star doesn't have a forward looking lounge anymore so that may be a consideration. However, most rooms on the Spirit don't have a mini-fridge.

That being said, it would pretty much be a toss up - I'd pick whatever route you liked better and what airfare is more reasonable.

Because you stated, "a halfway decent fitness center," I would recommend the Star to you. The Spirit's room with fitness machines was not what I would consider "half-way decent." The deck plan for the Star fitness area on deck 12 seems like less of an afterthought.

Hope that helps... I can't seem to find any pictures of Star's fitness center to point you towards.

easy the Spirit because it has a forward observation lounge and also a great aft end outdoor area to lounge at with a bar etc. The Star sees confined by the lack of these two items--NCL IMHOP made areal mistake by eliminating the Stars forward observation lounge--one of the reasons she was pulled from the Alaska itinerary.

Also New Orleans is great pre or post vacation site.

BG

If you walk down the spiral staircase located in the observation lounge you can watch the bridge in operation through the large plate glass window.

It's interesting and fun to watch the ship maneuvering in to port from the window down there.

Dianne

Size and passenger wise it's not a huge difference. 350 more guests on Star and about 60-70 feet longer. Both are great ships, Star is staying close by and Spirit will move to Europe for good in a short time. You may not easily get another chance on Spirit.

Exercise room on Spirit is fine. The big deal for us is New Orleans. Easy trip from airport if that is how your traveling and if you come in early or stay late it is amazing. If your just passing through, Tampa is fine. Our first pick is Spirit!:D

For me it is the Star. The main reason I am 40 minutes from the port in Tampa. If I had to fly the decision might be a little more difficult. I have been on both ships and the Spirit is not my favorite in the fleet. It has some qualities I like more then the Star like the aft area with bars and terraced decks. I like the overall feel and layout of the Star far better. That is just me.

I would much rather fly into Tampa airport. It is great and very close to the port. Everything being equal I would select the Star. If I could get a better fare, cheaper air and hotel I would consder the Spirit or if I could spend a few days in the French Quarter.

Sorry no real definitive answer.

I like the Star and, like time2cruise1 says, it's nice being close to the port.

I can't say we live CLOSE to any port as it's a 7 hr. drive no matter what but now that the Star is in Tampa, we need to give it some thought. We just did the 10/16/11 NCL Star out of Tampa and had to fly from near the West Coast! We're Spoiled:(!

Aside from that, Tampa is a beautiful port to leave from!

And time2cruise1, we drove to St. Pete to spend the rest of the day after getting off the ship And WE LOVE YOUR TOWN and Love the Fact that it is DOG FRIENDLY! Hated to Leave.:D

Ruth,Bill& DDWendy

I would go with the Spirit. What many have already said is correct. The cruise terminal is walking distance from the French Quarter, providing great fun for post or pre cruising. The airport is not too far away. The Spirit is an older ship but when I sailed her it was super clean. I would say in terms of design and flow Spirit is the second best ship I have been on...maybe the first. I think this is partly do to the fact that it was an Asian ship originally. ( Superstar Leo)

Jinglette and I have cruised on the Star 5 times, Spirit once. We had always loved the Star, but once the observation lounge was take out that was it for us. The Spirit still has it's Ob's lounge. We thoroughly enjoyed our cruise on Spirit and would recommend her before she heads to Europe. The added bonus of the Spirit was cruising down the Mississippi River and Visiting New Orleans. We hope to cruise on her again before she's gone for the USA. Enjoy...

I have done both.

I would do the Spirit and request a refrig.

There's no place to put a fridge, and there's no place to plug it in where you won't create logistical issues. I think the Spirit is a beautiful ship, too, but the rooms under suite are smaller than I prefer.

The coffee pot is plugged into the corner unit (which has drawers below the small triangular bump-out), and the writing table blocks the other outlet. With the couch made into a bed on the balcony cabin, you have no way to move the chair out from the table; if you tried stashing the fridge under the writing table, you can't open the dorm-size fridge door. You'd still have to find a place for the chair, too.

And the interior rooms are pretty small, too, from peeking in a neighbor's room made into a quad.

We tried bringing on a soft-sided cooler, and the darn thing sprung a leak almost immediately! :o I took it as a sign that I didn't need a cooler this trip... no leftovers for later snacking, by golly!

All that being said, the OP is just two people. While the cabins are smaller than normal, it's completely doable for a couple. :)

Hi, I'm picking out a Christmas cruise and see that the Star and Spirit have very similar Western Caribbean itineraries, except that they go out of different ports (Tampa versus New Orleans). So for us it comes down to - which ship to choose? I was leaning towards Spirit only because I like New Orleans as a port better than Tampa - BUT we'll be leaving 12/25 and coming back 01/01, so.. not like there will be much of an opportunity to experience the city during the holiday! Guess that reasoning bites the dust.

So if it came down to just the ships, which would you choose, if you have the perspective of being on both? I know this may be limited by the fact that Spirit recently went thru a dry dock refurb... I was a little wary of her b/c she's older and hadn't been refurbed since 2008 but now I see the upgrades, esp with a galley in the buffet, I feel a bit more positive towards her, although she's small.

We're just a 30-something couple, no kids, don't generally use a lot of fancy cruise amenities. Oh, I do need a halfway decent fitness center, that's all. And good food! :D

Thanks!

wow, this is hard as everyone has his/her own idea. I am partial to the Spirit except the cabins are smaller than the Star. The crew on the Spirit will always go above and beyond. the dining is good and the overall attitude of the cruisers is very possitive. As for the food, let's face it, food is very subjective. We just got off a cruise, on another line and we think the food on NCL is better. The biggest drawback to NCL food (regardless of the ship) the serviings are smaller and there isn't quite the selection in the MDR, but the choices for dining elsewhere makes up for this.

Nita

Thanks to everyone and their comments! I think the split seems to be about 60% Spirit, 40% Star, so I think I would lean towards the Spirit b/c I'm curious about this Asian design you're all talking about. PLUS, even on Xmas day, would love to walk around the French Quarter.

Of course, now hubby wants to go on a longer cruise so we're looking at a Norwegian Dawn going out of Miami the same day... sigh.... the best laid plans... now i need to research yet ANOTHER ship! :rolleyes: DH doesn't care about the ship, but I sure do!

I have only been on the Spirit and can only comment on it, but it is a wonderful, beautiful ship. When I was making my choice for my cruise this year, I read so many awesome reviews from the Spirit. I can say I have not read any bad reviews and the staff is AMAZING!

Now I have done "some" research on the Star because I was thinking about cruising her next year to Bermuda and love the way it looks all. I haven't really read up on the reviews yet.

Good luck with your choice. :)

Archived