Two dead passengers...!

ASIWISH

:(Yeah, I feel kind of bad posting this...:(

I didn't mean for it to be morbid, just thought "cruise news" would be interesting...

Don't feel bad. I am glad I read your post so I can keep their families and friends in my thoughts.

:(Yeah, I feel kind of bad posting this...:(

I didn't mean for it to be morbid, just thought "cruise news" would be interesting...

Don't feel bad. I am glad I read your post so I can keep their families and friends in my thoughts.

I agree..... no reason to feel bad. You meant well.

Not just that. In this area of the country both passengers would be considered local. For certain the woman is in the Boston TV area; she was from Tiverton, RI.

The young man may have been in the TV area, too. I'm not sure how far north their viewing area goes, but New Hampshire news on Boston TV is not uncommon.

Boston news is aired at least up to the Lakes region of NH...probably beyond up to North Conway. So, you're absolutely correct, they were both "locals."

As far as deaths on a cruise, on the Good Nuts cruise, on three occasions, the nurse and MD on board sat at our table for dinner with Fred and I, Richard & Heather, and their two friends, Clyde and his wife...and the nurse told us there were several that cruise....I specifically remember that one was taken off in Martinique.

People die on land every day...not much different than dying at sea...I guess we're supposed to all get a "pass" while on vacation!

If someone dies on a cruise, do the keep them on the ship until it arrives home, or do the take the person off them ship at the next port?

That depends on where the next port is. Does the port have the facilities to handle the body, and ship it and the family home? Also, how cooperative is the local government with arrangements?

If the port is well-equipped for all that, then the body is probably going to be removed. If not, then it can be held on board.

I agree with Ruth. International 'red tape' can also be a factor. While in Glacier Bay we talked with a woman who's father had died onboard the previous night. They were going to disembark, with his body, the next day in Sitka. While not normally the most convenient port to return them all to the lower 48, it was our last U.S. port before returning to Vancouver. HAL had told them it was going to be easier than dealing with the international 'red tape'.

If someone dies on a cruise, do the keep them on the ship until it arrives home, or do the take the person off them ship at the next port?

Ship's are designed with space to hold bodies.

We were on Monarch of the Seas when she was a new ship. We chose to stay aboard in port (I think it might have been Barbados but I'm not sure). We came out to the pool and took seats very near a hot tub. We saw an very senior couple in the hot tub, side by side. I said to DH...... 'look at that woman'. The angle of her body is not natural. She was leaning against her DH in an odd way. We called over the steward on deck who immediately called for Medical Assistance. She was dead and her DH had no idea. They could not revive her and quickly whisked the stretcher, him and her away. When we inquired later, we were told they were removed from the ship prior to sailing away.

The port agent was assisting him in making all necessary arrangements and complying with local red tape so he could bring her body home.

Very sad but so dumb. IMO

How does a senior couple get in a hot tub in 90 plus degree heat in the Caribbean and no one advises them to get out. It was a recipe for the diseaster that resulted.

People were saying they felt so bad for her. I disagreed. She was on a beautiful cruise ship, in the Caribbean with her DH enjoying herself, never knew what hit her she died so suddenly. It's not the worst way to pass from this world IMO

I felt very bad for him. He had to deal with losing her, the trauma and shock, the logistics of handling all the details all by himself as a now lonely, confused, elderly man and bring his diseased wife home. I shed a tear for him and my eyes teared up just now writing about it. :o

On the QE2's final world cruise we had a couple who often sat with my friend and me at the evening entertainment. They were traveling against the wishes of the family since he was not in good health. He passed away just before Singapore, and the ship's company helped his wife arrange for cremation in Singapore ... his wife would then transport the ashes back to the U.S. She said she was so glad they had the time together on the cruise from New York to the end - that they had a wonderful time up until the last few hours .... and she hoped her kids did not meet her in Singapore with "I told you....." . She took a lot of comfort in the fact that he was doing what he wanted to be doing.

Susan

Ship's are designed with space to hold bodies.

We were on Monarch of the Seas when she was a new ship. We chose to stay aboard in port (I think it might have been Barbados but I'm not sure). We came out to the pool and took seats very near a hot tub. We saw an very senior couple in the hot tub, side by side. I said to DH...... 'look at that woman'. The angle of her body is not natural. She was leaning against her DH in an odd way. We called over the steward on deck who immediately called for Medical Assistance. She was dead and her DH had no idea. They could not revive her and quickly whisked the stretcher, him and her away. When we inquired later, we were told they were removed from the ship prior to sailing away.

The port agent was assisting him in making all necessary arrangements and complying with local red tape so he could bring her body home.

Very sad but so dumb. IMO

How does a senior couple get in a hot tub in 90 plus degree heat in the Caribbean and no one advises them to get out. It was a recipe for the diseaster that resulted.

People were saying they felt so bad for her. I disagreed. She was on a beautiful cruise ship, in the Caribbean with her DH enjoying herself, never knew what hit her she died so suddenly. It's not the worst way to pass from this world IMO

I felt very bad for him. He had to deal with losing her, the trauma and shock, the logistics of handling all the details all by himself as a now lonely, confused, elderly man and bring his diseased wife home. I shed a tear for him and my eyes teared up just now writing about it. :o

Sail, look on the positive side - he might have been quite content that she passed quietly and happily. Maybe there were some circumstances where they knew it might happen.

My first cruise on HAL was on the Ryndam with my ex. We unfortunately found a gentleman in a forward elevator who had apparently had a heart attack. We started CPR and got a crew member to alert the medical personnel who were there within literally seconds. There was nothing anybody could do and the gentleman passed away later that night. As I recall we had three deaths on the cruise and I remember thinking that I certainly hoped not all cruises were that way. Over the years I've been aware of one or two more deaths on cruises and a number of medical evacuations but nothing like that first Ryndam cruise.

She took a lot of comfort in the fact that he was doing what he wanted to be doing.

Susan

That is how the family of the gentleman who passed away in Alaska felt. Going to Alaska was something he'd always wanted to do. They had done a land tour prior to boarding in Juneau, so they were happy that he'd fulfilled that dream.

Sail, look on the positive side - he might have been quite content that she passed quietly and happily. Maybe there were some circumstances where they knew it might happen.

Yes, perhaps. Who knows? You well could be correct and it is a positive way of looking at it. :)

On the QE2's final world cruise we had a couple who often sat with my friend and me at the evening entertainment. They were traveling against the wishes of the family since he was not in good health. He passed away just before Singapore, and the ship's company helped his wife arrange for cremation in Singapore ... his wife would then transport the ashes back to the U.S. She said she was so glad they had the time together on the cruise from New York to the end - that they had a wonderful time up until the last few hours .... and she hoped her kids did not meet her in Singapore with "I told you....." . She took a lot of comfort in the fact that he was doing what he wanted to be doing.

Susan

I would rather get a call that one of my parents died enjoying themselves on a cruise than have to watch them waste away at home another few years

Why thanks. :D

I tend to take pictures of things I think may be useful or of interest here. :)

This one was taken during a behind-the-scenes tour that the chief culinary officer gave us. There are more of it at http://travel.webshots.com/album/570741272rkgIHR

Had to be a 'behind the scenes' tour! Not too many pax get to see that or the brig; good job!;)

One of the things I notice is that there are people who come aboard ship that look like they should be in the hospital. Walkers, scooters, oxygen machines, wheelchairs abound in the dining room.

Last December we cruised on the Maasdam, it seemed like they were removing sick passengers at every port of call. One gentleman we had sat with at dinner a few times said he had just gotten out of the hospital the day before the cruise. He was wheeled off the ship in St. Maarten.

A lot of people put aside their health issues to go on the cruise and many times it catches up with them.

I work at a Coast Guard Air Station and we do 3 or 4 medi-vacs a month in the Caribbean.

.....................I work at a Coast Guard Air Station and we do 3 or 4 medi-vacs a month in the Caribbean.

Thanks for serving and for the job you guys (and girls) do, day in and out! Those Jayhawk and Dolphin crews are awesome to watch during cruise ship medevacs!

Archived