Two dead passengers...!

ASIWISH

Look at the demographics of a typical cruiser. Is this surprising?

In fact, looking at some of the passengers on cruises I have taken, I am surprised that they survived to make it to the cruise.

Why was it even posted at all.

DON

Deaths on cruise ships do occur. Most of the ones that I am aware of are either heart attacks or serious medical conditions. Some want one last fling before they depart this vale of tears and depart sooner than they anticipated.

Thanks for serving and for the job you guys (and girls) do, day in and out! Those Jayhawk and Dolphin crews are awesome to watch during cruise ship medevacs!

Medivacs are the most difficult and challenging job we do, especially the hoistings.

I speculate some very ill people who know they are nearing the end of their days purposely go to ships to be where they have had some of their happiest times. It certainly makes it a load on crew to have to handle these deaths but I wouldn't be shocked to learn some planned their deaths to be aboard.

I speculate some very ill people who know they are nearing the end of their days purposely go to ships to be where they have had some of their happiest times. It certainly makes it a load on crew to have to handle these deaths but I wouldn't be shocked to learn some planned their deaths to be aboard.

My mother was commenting at dinner on Friday that it appears to be a real problem... she specifically mentioned how families, looking for some relief, will sometimes put their aging parent on a bus tour, cruise, etc... to get a little break... and that it becomes a real issue to the operators.

I have to say that I've never really noticed anyone in really bad shape on a cruise... but , I supposed something like this could happen...

Now, I have seen a few people I wish were on their last days... they're usually the ones screaming at the crew about their bill on the final day...!:p

In my experience this can be even more of an issue with holiday cruises when whole extended families cruise -- and the matriarchs and patriarchs of the family come along so that they can celebrate with everyone else.

I remember one holiday cruise when three of the old folks on board collapsed in the dining room, literally one after the other. The call went out "bright star, bright star, bright star dining room port side". Sadly yes.

But as others have said, they were with their families, doing what they wished to do. Not all bad as long as they are not "dumped" by families on the cruise lines.

But as others have said, they were with their families, doing what they wished to do. Not all bad as long as they are not "dumped" by families on the cruise lines.

True, not bad at all for the one who died. But it is absolutely horrific for the one left to deal with the mess.

I would not wish it on my worst enemy.

In my experience this can be even more of an issue with holiday cruises when whole extended families cruise -- and the matriarchs and patriarchs of the family come along so that they can celebrate with everyone else.

I remember one holiday cruise when three of the old folks on board collapsed in the dining room, literally one after the other. The call went out "bright star, bright star, bright star dining room port side". Sadly yes.

There were two code Bright Stars on my last cruise was well. That seems to be the announcement made to summon the ship's body removing personnel.

But there were no reporters waiting for us at the peer wanting to know about the two deaths. One was a gentleman in his 90s whose time had come and the other a man in his 60s with heart trouble. At least both of them went while on a happy cruise. I could think of much worse places to be at for the final moment.

It was my impression also that the bright star was code for medical emergency. I in no way meant to imply that these folks expired, just that they had collapsed as witnessed by several in the dining room. Up until that evening DH and I had commented to each other about how many elderly who appeared rather fragile for travel (to say the least) were on that particular cruise. Even for HAL it was an unusual scenario.

I've been around here a long time, and the 'why was this posted' remarks really burn me up. Don't read the thread if you don't want to! ARGH! So, OP, don't feel bad. Some of us don't read the other forums mentioned.

If I gotta go, I would rather go on a cruise ship than where I'm more likely to go...as a passenger in my husband's car. :eek:

Still it's sad for the families. I hope they take some comfort from the fact their loved ones were probably happy just before they passed on.

Robin

Don't read the thread if you don't want to! ARGH! So, OP, don't feel bad.

So kind of you to say that... after seeing the first round of responses, I felt better about posting it... There are a lot of great people on these boards.

Have a great night, Robin

Archived