6 hours to kill between Fort Lauderdale and Miami Airport

eastwoodboy

Rent a car from FLL to MIA, put the bags in the trunk and then go where you want -- Hollywood is a nice "beachy" town in between Miami and Fort Lauderdale, or go to someplace nice in Miami Beach for lunch and people watching.

Good luck! :)

I agree with John.

If this was me I would rent a car and I would take a nice drive on the coastal road and stop for a nice lunch. I would also be in the last group to disembark the ship.

Keith

I don't recommend the "coastal road" (A!A) between Fort Lauderdale and Miami Beach. South of Fort Lauderdale you can't see the Ocean or the Bay and you run into a lot of traffic lights and stopped traffic.

We are in the same "boat", so to speak. Our flight post cruise does not leave FLL until 8:30 PM. We need to kill some time until ready to depart.

There used to be excursions you could book off the ship, but I do not see them posted anymore. Was thinking of seeing if we could rent a hotel room for the day, and just spend the time walking around or possibly taking the water taxi. That way, we don't have to worry about our luggage.

Has anyone ever done this, or maybe some suggestions on what to do without having to take our luggage with us?

You might be able to do 'luggage valet' where the cruise line takes your luggage to the airport for you. That way you can take the trolley around Fort Lauderdale without lugging all your bags. There are also hotels that have day rates - I don't know about hotels on the beach - more of them are by the airports.

You might be able to do 'luggage valet' where the cruise line takes your luggage to the airport for you. That way you can take the trolley around Fort Lauderdale without lugging all your bags. There are also hotels that have day rates - I don't know about hotels on the beach - more of them are by the airports.

Thanks for the info. We are booking a hotel pre-cruise, and are going to ask if they either have day rates, or are willing to keep our luggage for us until it's time to go to the airport. Any suggestions on hotels that are close to the port? In the past, we have normally booked hotels near the beach. Once, we booked the Hyatt Place, but I don't believe they have a shuttle service anymore.

Two options:

• rent a car and visit the Everglades (Royal Palm or Shark Valley)
  • if you have a luggage transfer to the airport, spend the day on the water taxi visiting Fort Lauderdale and then head out to the airport.

Can also you "bagstogo"

It is another service about the same as luggage valet. You find the truck/representative outside the port. Check your bags with them and take off for the day.

Allow an extra 10 min at the airport to claim your bags and then precede to check in as normal.

I think it was $6 when I did it in April

here is the website

http://www.baggagecheckin.com/services.php?lc=3

Choochilla,

Recommend a company called Bags To Go. They operate off-airport baggage check-in for FLL and MIA. They pick up cruise passenger's baggage at the port, store bags with a portside Bags To Go agent, who will transport and store baggage at FLL or MIA for passenger pick-up. Check their website http://www.bagstogo.net for fees and pre-purchase services.

Can also you "bagstogo"

It is another service about the same as luggage valet. You find the truck/representative outside the port. Check your bags with them and take off for the day.

Allow an extra 10 min at the airport to claim your bags and then precede to check in as normal.

I think it was $6 when I did it in April

here is the website

http://www.baggagecheckin.com/services.php?lc=3

That's a great site, but unfortunately, you have to pick up your bags before 5:30. Our flight doesn't leave until 8:30, so probably won't be back at the airport before 5:30. Sure don't want to sit around the airport for 3 hours. :(

But, thanks for the tip. We may have some other opportunity to use this service in the future. Guess we'll just see if we can get a day rate at a hotel.

Archived