Water Taxi... Is it worth it?

ASIWISH

We were in FLL a while ago and rode the water taxi from Hyatt Pier 66 to Galleria Mall. It was fun. Worth it? I don't know..... we enjoyed it, it was a beautiful day, we had the time, saw some beautiful homes and heard who owned or built some of them. We found it fun and enjoyed the ride, so yes....... it was worth it.

We caught it at the Hyatt Pier 66 Marina and they let us off at very nearby Galleria. When we were done shopping, we went back to the 'pick up spot' and the water taxi came along right on time.

We caught it at the Hyatt Pier 66 Marina and they let us off at very nearby Galleria. When we were done shopping, we went back to the 'pick up spot' and the water taxi came along right on time.

I guess what I meant by "worth it", was was it a good experience..? Sometimes when you take those attractions, you can find yourself sitting on a pier for quite a while waiting for pick up...

I was thinking we might make a couple hours of it, and see the sights... stopping at various points that people suggest - like the Galleria Mall - but, if it amounts to a couple hours of kicking rocks off the pier waiting for the next taxi, I guess I'd rather just take a cab...

$20/person seems like a good price for an potentially enjoyable attraction like that...

Thanks, Sail....

Has anyone ever taken the Ft. Lauderdale Water Taxi?

Have you found it an enjoyable trip?

Have you ever taken it back and forth from dinner?

"Easy, breezy" or Take a real taxi"?

The water Taxi is a wonderful thing to do while in Fort Lauderdale! We enjoy it every time we sail from Port Everglades...

Why dont u post this on the ports board--really a port question.

BG

Perhaps she'll post it there as well, but these are the type of questions asked frequently on the HAL board by those who sail often on HAL...so it's A-OK! ;)

I guess what I meant by "worth it", was was it a good experience..? Sometimes when you take those attractions, you can find yourself sitting on a pier for quite a while waiting for pick up...

I was thinking we might make a couple hours of it, and see the sights... stopping at various points that people suggest - like the Galleria Mall - but, if it amounts to a couple hours of kicking rocks off the pier waiting for the next taxi, I guess I'd rather just take a cab...

$20/person seems like a good price for an potentially enjoyable attraction like that...

Thanks, Sail....

While we really enjoyed the water taxi last April---taking it from the 17th St Bridge up to the Galleria Mall---there were about six ships due in port the next day, so when we went later in the day to catch the water taxi back, it was full to capacity and when it stopped, nobody got off, so of course nobody could get on. We wound up taking a taxi cab back even though we had bought all day passes. We walked for a bit first, hoping to find the hop-on hop-off bus but it seemed elusive and it was hot and we were tired.

I think we will use the water taxi again this April but will only buy the one way pass to go to the mall. That way, if the water taxi is full later in the day, we will not have wasted our money.

The captains of the taxis are very entertaining and give a runnng commentary as you motor along.

Perhaps she'll post it there as well, but these are the type of questions asked frequently on the HAL board by those who sail often on HAL...so it's A-OK! ;)

Thank you, Inn Lady. I won't bother to post elsewhere, as I have always found your advice and recommendations very solid. We'll try the Water Taxi! Of course, saying that, I always trust Sapper1's advice, too!!!! darn it...

(Side note: INNLADY1... just prior to leaving New York on our first cruise, you popped on our Roll Call and wished us all well - even though you weren't on our cruise... and then welcomed us home the same way! I always thought that was so sweet and such a great way to be welcomed to the HAL community... you're a wonderful person...)

Kevin

Thanks for starting this thread. I was looking for info on water taxis myself.

Lorekauf, since I believe you're in the same city as I am, I have Groupons (Internet coupons) for the water taxi between FLL and Hollywood that I couldn't use last February. The catch is they have to be used by sometime in January (can't remember the expiry date).

We got on the water taxi, not realizing that there were different routes. When the fellow came around to collect the fare, I handed him the groupons. They were rejected because we weren't on the Hollywood taxi and the coupons were only good for that route. So, we had to pay the fare. As others have said, it was fun to see the houses.

At any rate, if you can use them, you are welcome to them. I would rather they didn't go to waste. Just let me know here and then we can arrange to get them to you, if you want them.

Ok--I guess I thought the ports boards where for ports questions on cruise critic-- maybe I was assuming something wrong--what makes this board different is that monitors on other boards tend to move those type of threads to the ports board--when I am looking for information on ports I go to the ports board--but it really doesn't matter.:)

Lorekauf, since I believe you're in the same city as I am, I have Groupons (Internet coupons) for the water taxi between FLL and Hollywood that I couldn't use last February. The catch is they have to be used by sometime in January (can't remember the expiry date).

We got on the water taxi, not realizing that there were different routes. When the fellow came around to collect the fare, I handed him the groupons. They were rejected because we weren't on the Hollywood taxi and the coupons were only good for that route. So, we had to pay the fare. As others have said, it was fun to see the houses.

At any rate, if you can use them, you are welcome to them. I would rather they didn't go to waste. Just let me know here and then we can arrange to get them to you, if you want them.

Yes, I'm from Calgary as well. Thank you for your kind offer but the earliest I'll be in Fort Lauderdale is Feb 18th. I'd like to do it sooner but that pesky work gets in the way:D;). I'm looking to do an extended vaycay prior to a cruise from Fort Lauderdale in March 2013 since my 18 day Panama Canal cruise has been moved to a time that doesn't work for me:(.

We're planning on taking the water taxi pre-cruise next April, our first time in Fort Lauderdale - I didn't realise there were different routes though. So to Sapper or anyone who knows.. which would be the best route for some sight-seeing and a bit of shopping?

Has anyone ever taken the Ft. Lauderdale Water Taxi?

Have you found it an enjoyable trip?

Have you ever taken it back and forth from dinner?

"Easy, breezy" or Take a real taxi"?

I have taken the water taxi on several different trips to Ft. Lauderdale and I have enjoyed it very much. I highly recommend it. The scenery is beatiful and the commentary is outstanding and a bit colorful in a good way.

I'll bet the majority of the Posters hardly ever look at the other Boards and find their information here at CC/HAL!

Don't assume. I have used the Ports of Call and Diving boards many times.

There are different boards for different topics. You wouldn't want Princess cruisers to post here, now would you?

I'll be in Tampa in January and would really like to see some suggestions like the Water Taxi here on the CC/HAL Board without having to spend a half-a-day looking for something on other Boards!:confused:

No wonder people come in, look around and leave! OUCH!:o

They may come here looking for HAL info and get lost in all the off-topics discussions. ;)

We spent an entire day on the water taxi last January just seeing the sights, getting off for lunch and shopping. We made sure that the hotel that we booked into for our January 2012 pre-cruise stay is near a water taxi stop as it is a great way to get around if you are not in a hurry.

If you visit their web site they have detailed maps of were the stops are. Just google water taxi Fort Lauderdale.

Big Green:

I'm sure I'm doing this wrong by posting here, but I trust so many of these people... on a port board, I have no idea who is responding to me.

If Himself, Boytjie, Sail, InnLady, Ruth C, RevNeal, etc (too many to post)... respond, I know I'm OK...

I do appreciate the advice, though... thank you.

We're planning on taking the water taxi pre-cruise next April, our first time in Fort Lauderdale - I didn't realise there were different routes though. So to Sapper or anyone who knows.. which would be the best route for some sight-seeing and a bit of shopping?

http://www.watertaxi.com/watertaxi/fort-lauderdale/maps-stops-ft-lauderdale-express-hollywood/

You would get on at Stop 7 (Hilton Marina) under the 17th Street Bridge if you are staying at any of the hotels along 17th street.---like the Renaissance, Holiday Inn, Extended Stay America, Embassy Suites, Hilton Marina etc. If you are staying at the Hyatt Pier 66 you would get on at stop 6.

The stop for the Galleria Mall is stop 2 (Gallery One). I have only gotten off at that stop so I cannot say what may be found at any of the other stops. The Galleria Mall is quite large and is full of very nice, worthwhile stores.

I had a brochure in hand and am not sure whether I picked it up in the hotel lobby or at the taxi stop itself when we were wandering around the night before we took the taxi.

To the big green fellow------I always check the port boards, but do not "know" the posters there. The group of HAL regular posters on this board are very well travelled and one knows whose advice is usually solid. I take more comfort from their advice than in asking a "stranger" to advise me.

Without the Rev's solid advice, I would have not stayed at great hotels in San Diego and Vancouver----advice that I got off the HAL board. I could go on and name others who have provided great advice on this board but I think you get my meaning.

We are thinking of doing the water taxi on our turn around day in Lauderdale. Is there a stop near the cruise terminal or do you have to get a taxi to somewhere?

You could take a taxi to the Hilton Marina Stop under the 17th Street Bridge. It is just outside the port entrance but too far to walk. The port area is very large and busy.

Thanks for starting this thread. I was looking for info on water taxis myself.

I was thinking about it too as we will be at the Pier 66 next month. Some people are bullies on here and think they run the place as this is a legit question for this board. I know and trust a lot more in this board and would like their opinions than those I do not now on a general ports board.

I was thinking about it too as we will be at the Pier 66 next month. Some people are bullies on here and think they run the place as this is a legit question for this board. I know and trust a lot more in this board and would like their opinions than those I do not now on a general ports board.

Totally agree!

Archived