Water Taxi... Is it worth it?

ASIWISH

http://www.watertaxi.com/watertaxi/fort-lauderdale/maps-stops-ft-lauderdale-express-hollywood/

You would get on at Stop 7 (Hilton Marina) under the 17th Street Bridge if you are staying at any of the hotels along 17th street.---like the Renaissance, Holiday Inn, Extended Stay America, Embassy Suites, Hilton Marina etc. If you are staying at the Hyatt Pier 66 you would get on at stop 6.

The stop for the Galleria Mall is stop 2 (Gallery One). I have only gotten off at that stop so I cannot say what may be found at any of the other stops. The Galleria Mall is quite large and is full of very nice, worthwhile stores.

I had a brochure in hand and am not sure whether I picked it up in the hotel lobby or at the taxi stop itself when we were wandering around the night before we took the taxi.

To the big green fellow------I always check the port boards, but do not "know" the posters there. The group of HAL regular posters on this board are very well travelled and one knows whose advice is usually solid. I take more comfort from their advice than in asking a "stranger" to advise me.

Without the Rev's solid advice, I would have not stayed at great hotels in San Diego and Vancouver----advice that I got off the HAL board. I could go on and name others who have provided great advice on this board but I think you get my meaning.

Great info! Thanks so much Sapper:).

WE really liked it! and it was fun on a coolish day, we did bundle up. We had all day passes and our only tense moment came in the evening when the guys hopped off to use restrooms, the taxi took off, despite my protest after the driver claimed they were last taxi of night! They did come back and pick us up, but that was my sole complaint. (We could have walked or taken a land taxi back to hotel/) We boarded at Gallery One, where we usually stay. Also like the Bonnet House in that area for sightseeing on cool day, and walk thru state park, also in area.

Used to be a lot better when the Riverwalk area on Los Olas was thriving and it was $5 for an all day pass. Its still worth it for a 1st timer but at $20 they are pricing themselves out of the market in my opinion. Its still cheaper than a regular taxi fare but with the Sun Trolley (link below) now in service many folks are using that option rather than the Water Taxi to get around.

http://www.suntrolley.com/

Used to be a lot better when the Riverwalk area on Los Olas was thriving and it was $5 for an all day pass. Its still worth it for a 1st timer but at $20 they are pricing themselves out of the market in my opinion. Its still cheaper than a regular taxi fare but with the Sun Trolley (link below) now in service many folks are using that option rather than the Water Taxi to get around.

Are you saying that the Riverwalk area is no longer thriving and therefore not worth the visit? I ask because that is one of the areas we were going to visit in April. We have not gone up there before and won't bother if it is not worth the trip.

Are you saying that the Riverwalk area is no longer thriving and therefore not worth the visit? I ask because that is one of the areas we were going to visit in April. We have not gone up there before and won't bother if it is not worth the trip.

Totally shutdown after a hurricane went through a few years back. As of March it was still totally vacant sad as I must say. :(

http://www.watertaxi.com/watertaxi/fort-lauderdale/maps-stops-ft-lauderdale-express-hollywood/

(snip)

To the big green fellow------I always check the port boards, but do not "know" the posters there. The group of HAL regular posters on this board are very well travelled and one knows whose advice is usually solid. I take more comfort from their advice than in asking a "stranger" to advise me.

Without the Rev's solid advice, I would have not stayed at great hotels in San Diego and Vancouver----advice that I got off the HAL board. I could go on and name others who have provided great advice on this board but I think you get my meaning.

Exactly my sentiments, Sapper! Very well stated....

We stayed at the Riverside Hotel last January pre cruise and will do so again this January...we truly enjoyed all the shops and great restaurants on Las Olas. What was there before that isn't any longer (in reference to the Riverwalk) :confused:

Totally shutdown after a hurricane went through a few years back. As of March it was still totally vacant sad as I must say. :(

Thank you for that bit of information. We will plan something else for that day.

I notice it has gone up in price but I am a senior citizen (believe it or not) and so it is not as expensive. I must admit that I stayed at the Riverside last February and used the Sun Trolley to get over to the beach area and I enjoyed it very much but I did miss the colorful commentary on the Water Taxi.

Big Green:

I'm sure I'm doing this wrong by posting here, but I trust so many of these people... on a port board, I have no idea who is responding to me.

If Himself, Boytjie, Sail, InnLady, Ruth C, RevNeal, etc (too many to post)... respond, I know I'm OK...

I do appreciate the advice, though... thank you.

Dear Kuhn Family:

You flatter me by putting me in such illustrious company.

We stayed at the Riverside Hotel last January pre cruise and will do so again this January...we truly enjoyed all the shops and great restaurants on Las Olas. What was there before that isn't any longer (in reference to the Riverwalk) :confused:

Mostly eateries (Cafe Mezzanote, Don Shula's Steakhouse, Hooter's, and a few liquid refreshment stands such as The Ugly Tuna Saloon.

Mostly eateries (Cafe Mezzanote, Don Shula's Steakhouse, Hooter's, and a few liquid refreshment stands such as The Ugly Tuna Saloon.

Am I misunderstanding?

Don Shula's Steakhouse is closed? Been years since we went there but I didn't know they closed.

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]Am I misunderstanding?[/B]

[B]Don Shula's Steakhouse is closed? Been years since we went there but I didn't know they closed.[/B][/quote]

[B]There was a 2nd location at the Riverwalk area for awhile and that is the one that closed but the original location on A1A is still open. [/B];)

[quote name='TheKuhnFamily']Has anyone ever taken the Ft. Lauderdale Water Taxi?

Have you found it an enjoyable trip?

Have you ever taken it back and forth from dinner?

[COLOR=darkorange]"Easy, breezy"[/COLOR] or [COLOR=darkorange]Take a real taxi"[/COLOR]?[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]It's well worth it...we've taken it each year that we've been in Fort Lauderdale pre-cruise. The price has gone up considerably in recent years...but it's a fun way to get around the city.

Anyone know if they offer a three day pass at a discounted rate? Similar to what they do in Bermuda for the water ferries?[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='TheKuhnFamily']Big Green:

I'm sure I'm doing this wrong by posting here, but I trust so many of these people... on a port board, I have no idea who is responding to me.

If Himself, Boytjie, Sail, InnLady, Ruth C, RevNeal, etc (too many to post)... respond, I know I'm OK...

[COLOR=darkorange]I do appreciate the advice, though... thank you.[/COLOR][/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Why, thank you, Kuhn Family! [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I agree...I sometimes go to the port boards for information, but would much rather post here where I feel I'm among friends...after all this time, I've sailed on cruises with many of you, so it's my "home" on CC. I have a desktop icon for the HAL board and for any HAL roll calls for currently booked cruises. As I'm sure many do.[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS] [/FONT]

• 2 weeks later...
Just got off of the Water Taxi... LOVED IT! Worth the $20!!!! So easy!!!!!!

Beautiful houses... and gorgeous yachts!!!

We stopped and had lunch at the !5th Street Fishery.... amazing seafood salad incredible Sangria!!!! I ordered in the Lobster Roll, [COLOR="DarkOrange"]in honor of Sail7Seas[/COLOR].... but it was a huge disappointment... although, at least thinking of Sail brightened my day!!!

Still very windy, but gorgeous!

Marriott Harbor Beach is an excellent choice.... walking down the beach again tonight to watch the ships sail away... Love the Eurodam!

Thanks for all the advice on this thread!!!

[quote name='TheKuhnFamily']Just got off of the Water Taxi... LOVED IT! Worth the $20!!!! So easy!!!!!!

We stopped and had lunch at the !5th Street Fishery.... amazing seafood salad incredible Sangria!!!! I ordered in the Lobster Roll, [COLOR="DarkOrange"]in honor of Sail7Seas[/COLOR].... but it was a huge disappointment... although, at least thinking of Sail brightened my day!!!

Marriott Harbor Beach is an excellent choice.... walking down the beach again tonight to watch the ships sail away... Love the Eurodam!

Thanks for all the advice on this thread!!![/QUOTE]

STOP these postings just way too much fun going on and I am stuck here for another 2 weeks before our fun begins, I am so so jealous. :p I will watch you all sail away tomorrow at 5pm with a lot of envy.:cool:

[quote name='TheKuhnFamily']Just got off of the Water Taxi... LOVED IT! Worth the $20!!!! So easy!!!!!!

Thanks for all the advice on this thread!!![/QUOTE]

I always enjoy the "collorful commentary" of the staff of the Water Taxi. I don't know if you remember "Jim Moran, the Courtesy Man" who ran Courtesy Motor Sales and Grand and Central Park but he sold the business and moved to Fort Lauderdale and became the chief Distrutor for Toyota. He died a couple of years ago at the age of 90. You see a couple of his big boats parked along the Intercoastal Water Way. I hope you guys got off the boat on the New River and went up to Kiliwains.

Archived