New Mariner Review 10/10-24

Flagship1

Recently cruised the Med on the Mariner and filed a detailed review of the trip with Cruise Critic listed below:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=91051

I found the Mariner to be in great shape following its recent dry-dock. Her decor could be best described as elegant but understated.

As with all ships there are some shortcomings. The specialty restaurants could be bigger -- if not, instead of one item each from their menu in Compass Rose, they should offer at least 2. The Pool Grill was understaffed in the afternoon, especially when the tours (which had a nasty habit of all ending and leaving at the same time) came back on board.

The tours should be timed out better to take advantage of using the on board restaurants for lunch. The tub/shower arrangement in the remaining cabins should be converted to all showers as it was "cumbersome" to climb over the high tub lip.

At least as the Seven Seas Aft suites go, the bathroom door should be hung on the left side so when open it does not block the closet drawers and safe. Maybe a few more channels on the television (at least ESPN). And the engineers need to look into the sewer gas smell problem (which our steward readily admitted had been present during prior cruises) not only in the cabins but also the aft end of the ship.

But these are minor points in the overall scheme of things and should not be construed to reflect a negative view on the Mariner.

The ship's layout was great with all of the space devoted to public rooms. We kept seeing new faces at the very end of the cruise although we were involved in all of the tours and most of the shipboard activities (with the exception of most of the nightly entertainment in the Constellation Theater).

Even the much aligned art auctions did not intrude on shipboard life. We did find that the Stars Lounge (for smokers) was totally underused and probably could have been better utilized. Also found surprisingly that the forward Observation Lounge was lightly used (maybe it had to do with the garish pink neon lighting used which quickly gave us a headache in any sort of seas).

Happy we did the Med -- but until Europe (especially Greece) gets their act together, I think that there are more interesting places to cruise. Although many of our fellow cruisers had been to the ports before, the great pricing Regent had with this cruise helped fill the ship.

Quite pleased with the Mariner and the service Regent rendered.

Mike

Thanks for the indepth review of the Mariner. She truly is a beautiful ship. IMO, she has the best public spaces of the Regent ships.

If Regent changed the rest of the bathtub/shower combinations into the beautiful shower only configuration, there could be an uprising from their European guests who much prefer having a bathtub.:)

as above poster said,,,good to have choice,,personally,,LOVE a tub bath late at nite...shower in am...

Also, hope pool buffet is better staffed in Dec.for our cruise,,,that was a problem on Voyager last yr..then other venues closed too early for passengers arriving from excursions...ended up with room service a few times due to crowds...

Looking forward to first cruise on Mariner.:)

Thanks, Flagship1 for your thoughts on Mariner. I hadn't noticed or heard of any sewer gas smell on board. I hope they get rid of that quickly. I agree with others about the need for choice re showers and baths. We are looking forward to our sailing in less than 3 weeks time.

Thanks for the review Flagship! We, too, noticed on our March crossing the sewer smell in the aft portion of deck 7...just in from the stairs. It seemed to be isolated to that area. But, bothersome nonetheless and I hope they rectify the problem. However, overall the Mariner is a great ship...

If Regent changed the rest of the bathtub/shower combinations into the beautiful shower only configuration, there could be an uprising from their European guests who much prefer having a bathtub.:)

Sorry Travelcat2, but as a German, I'm a real European - and I do not prefer having a bathtub ... :(

I think it doesn't matter, where you're from. Some people like taking a bath, others prefer a shower others need both.

Thank yo Flagship1 for the excellent post about the little pro's and con's of this lovely ship.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed to receive a "shower cabin" in May, as I booked a garantied cabin.

Sorry Travelcat2, but as a German, I'm a real European - and I do not prefer having a bathtub ... :(

And we're English and therefore (almost) European;), but we too do not prefer having a bathtub - these continental stereotypes are both tiresome and anachronistic!

I think it doesn't matter, where you're from. Some people like taking a bath, others prefer a shower others need both.

It seems that the majority of posters on the Regent board who strongly prefer bathtubs have been European. My DH (from the U.K.) feels that it may be because the bathtubs on the Mariner are so large and deep -- unlike the ones he grew up with. I do agree that anyone can prefer either or both. In the case of the Mariner, it is really difficult to get in and out of the bathtub. The showers are large and roomy -- definitely our preference. What are your thoughts of the bathtubs on the Mariner?

As a follow-up to my recent review of the Mariner regarding the shower vs. tub arrangement I have the following comments:

1. In speaking with my fellow cruisers (I realize it is not a scientific survey) all had picked the staterooms that had the shower except for those who had guaranteed cabins in which many ended up with the tub/shower arrangement. I am guessing that the guaranteed staterooms are assigned last and thus are the ones that are less desirable.

2. When we picked our Seven Seas Aft stateroom, I mistakenly thought that because it was an upper end suite it would have contained both a separate shower and a separate tub (as was on the Navigator). My mistake:eek:.

3. One of my earlier businesses was the construction of private yachts. In all of the cabins we installed showers with the exception of the master. In that we installed both -- however, the tub was designed in such a way so that entry was very easy and because of water requirements, not as deep. I realize that with a limited amount of space on a cruise ship that solution would probably involve too much revenue producing space lost. But this modification (with a shallower tub) is a solution.

4. The vast majority of my fellow cruisers were 60+ and I can only assume the high tub lip was not easy on them. I joked with my wife (we are both 57) that whenever we went through the metal detectors, when they were activated, many times we would see the people point to either their hips or knees (having had knee/hip replacements -- of which I will join that group next week:().

5. As was experienced by the Voyager which was in the same area as we were cruising, we experienced severe weather requiring change in 3 tender ports and the lashing of all furniture one night. It was impossible to safely use the shower/tub at that time.

6. The shower only arrangement on Mariner is quite nice and obviously extremely safe. I wonder how many people have been injured on Mariner while using the tub/shower arrangement? (just think of the statistics in your own home!). I am sure that is a closely guarded secret.

The main reason I pointed this out in my review is that if and when Regent builds its new ship (which I hope is commenced in the immediate future) the current tub/shower setup on Mariner is NOT incorporated by Regent.

Mike

I spoke with an architect I know concerning the bathtub situation in a new house we are building, in light of our increasing age and mobility problems. He said to have the builder build a raised step outside the tub on the bathroom floor to step on in entering and exiting the tub. The builder did this, I tried it, and it did make access to the tub easier for me.

The main problem is the Mariner's tube are exactly the opposite -- the floor outside the tub is LOWER than the tub bottom.

Do not want to get off topic but do think the issue of stereotyping is being taking negatively rather than accepting and learning about the differences in culture. Regent, IMO, should be looking at this as well. Tea is England is served "properly" with loose tea and is always hot. Loose tea is not available on Regent. Many countries are big coffee drinkers -- some like deep, heavy, strong coffee while other enjoy it quite weak. On our Recent cruises (both Regent and Silversea), the majority of passengers were from the U.S., Canada, Australia and Britain. Rather than only celebrating U.S. holidays, it would be nice to celebrate major holidays that are celebrated in other countries. Bottom line . . . my observations were simply that. . . . observations.

Back to the Mariner. . . . their Coffee Connection has some of the best coffee we have tried on Regent. They also make some wonderful concoctions with chocolate, alcohol and coffee. When we are on the Voyager next month I'll ask if they do a espresso martini.

Flagship1: As has been mentioned (I think) the Voyager and Navigator bathrooms have separate showers and bathtubs. It's easier for everyone and doesn't have to debated on CruiseCritic:)

>>The main problem is the Mariner's tube are exactly the opposite -- the floor outside the tub is LOWER than the tub bottom.<<

Getting in and particularly out of these tubs is an issue if you are (as I am) short and although I am "over 50", I am flexible but it is a scary situation. And add to all the rest - the ship moves!

I would never sail in a Mariner tub cabin again.

just came off the same cruise.

had hoped to get a new-shower cabin but didn't. had read those showers could be low for taller people.

my DH is 6'1" and said the shower head height was no problem at all. it's adjustable.

I took two long soaking baths. what a treat! the tub is so much shorter than what I have at home. I could stretch out without worrying about going under!

as for getting in and out of the tub... I had no problems with using the grab bars.

Navigator has the separate tub and shower. the shower might be snug for some people.

oh. we're also not Europeans.

And we're English and therefore (almost) European;)

I like your kind of humour :D - btw. as an Englishman, how do you deal with the fact, that Regent does not serve loose tea :confused:

I can't believe that you get only tea bags on board ...

I like your kind of humour :D - btw. as an Englishman, how do you deal with the fact, that Regent does not serve loose tea :confused: I can't believe that you get only tea bags on board ...

We grin and bear it - as we do at home (I'm afraid my man Jeeves just refuses to be bothered with tea strainers and it's so hard to get good staff these days that I dare not insist!) and in most restaurants and hotels in the UK - all tea sales and especially loose tea sales have been falling for decades.

But hey why let facts get in the way of good old national stereotyping - it's so reassuring to believe that we can still rely on these historical cultural differences to inform our discussions ;)?

@rarin2go: Please try to cancel your cruise and book ours - I like to have this kind of conversation every evening in the Mariner-Bar; and there we will not have a cup of tea ...;)

Sounds tempting ...... and we could drink something completely non-stereotypical! .... but alas I fear we will soon be reprimanded for (a) not properly exemplifying and learning from our cultural diversity and (b) hijacking this thread! :D

When we have sailed on the Mariner with a "tub" cabin, we ask our Steward/Stewardess to bring a small step stool. They always have them and they have a nice hand hold so it is easy to step up into and out of the tub! We really prefer the showers now but for those you like the tub, just ask for a step.

Jan

Archived