Can you beat this?

My rule of thumb for saving seats (went back to cabin for bathroom, etc) is that I need two people for every seat saved. In other words, if I'm traveling with my parents, two people can sit on either end of a saved seat without a hassle. I consider having a 2-1 margin a good faith statement that our party is coming on time. ;)

A little off topic but I never understood why a group of say 10, traveling together, HAD to sit all together on the same row for a show. What is the big deal about splitting up to a few smaller groupings? I’m not talking about splitting up parents and young children, just perhaps a few adults.

M

Some people are afraid to go to the bathroom by their selfs, especially on a big and unsafe cruise ship.

My rule of thumb for saving seats (went back to cabin for bathroom, etc) is that I need two people for every seat saved. In other words, if I'm traveling with my parents, two people can sit on either end of a saved seat without a hassle. I consider having a 2-1 margin a good faith statement that our party is coming on time. ;)

I agree.

Have to share my story, not on a cruise ship though but still OMG! We had reserved seats at the drag races, we got to our seats early and were on the aisle. Our row had filled up but had 2 empty seats, one next to me and one at the other end about 12 seats apart. Hubby and I both stand up and move so this couple can get in, I am thinking "I wonder how this will work, I hope they know they have seats way apart" imagine my shock when they both sit down in the seat next to me and in MY SEAT!! I looked at them and said " excuse me but you are in my seat!" They just stared at me like What??? So I grabbed the tickets from them to see why they took my seat as I am standing there! I then jabbed the guy on the shoulder and told him your seat is over there and pointed out the other open seat, he wouldn't move!! I then yelled at him to get the **** out of my seat!!! I yelled at them both I said YOU here and YOU THERE pointing out the seats again. They did move then since I finally got pissed, and screamed at them. Lucky for me I was very involved with the track so knew if I couldn't get them out of my seat I just needed to call to security and they would throw them out of the stands for me. Didn't need to so it all ended well , the couple were so clueless, who just sits in another persons seat when they move so you can get into the row? I have seen the seat savers on all of my cruises, I never have any issues though since I am there early to get the seats I want, I never save seats since we go as a group and sit in our own seats. Not worth fighting over seats unless I am already in it when someone tries to take it!

My favorite story ... when I was on the Mariner out of LA, a woman was saving nearly the entire front row of seats along one side of the ice rink for the ice show. The place filled up and there were literally people trying to sit in the aisle. One woman from the front row of the middle section (facing the skater's entrance) cut the corner over to the side to tell the people on the steps that the woman taking up the first row could not save seats and that they should feel free to sit there. An argument between these two women ensued, after the show started, that let to thrown punches and the arrival of security to a) tell people to fill those seats and b) take the SeaPass cards of both of the women involved in the scuffle.

We had a similar experience on Liberty of the Seas but this involved a man and a woman. The woman was saving a row of seas. The man asked very politely if the seats were taken and she said yes. Then he proceeded to ask by whom as none of them were occupied. He decided to sit down and in one of the seats and motioned for the rest of his family to come down and join him. The woman got in his face. They were yelling at each other. Then some of the woman's family also got involved. Cussing. Felt bad for the kids that were seeing all of this. There were probably six to eight people yelling at each other, screaming at the top of their lungs. Some RCCL people got involved and the woman and her troupe left.

Have to share my story, not on a cruise ship though but still OMG! We had reserved seats at the drag races, we got to our seats early and were on the aisle. Our row had filled up but had 2 empty seats, one next to me and one at the other end about 12 seats apart. Hubby and I both stand up and move so this couple can get in, I am thinking "I wonder how this will work, I hope they know they have seats way apart" imagine my shock when they both sit down in the seat next to me and in MY SEAT!! I looked at them and said " excuse me but you are in my seat!" They just stared at me like What??? So I grabbed the tickets from them to see why they took my seat as I am standing there! I then jabbed the guy on the shoulder and told him your seat is over there and pointed out the other open seat, he wouldn't move!! I then yelled at him to get the **** out of my seat!!! I yelled at them both I said YOU here and YOU THERE pointing out the seats again. They did move then since I finally got pissed, and screamed at them. Lucky for me I was very involved with the track so knew if I couldn't get them out of my seat I just needed to call to security and they would throw them out of the stands for me. Didn't need to so it all ended well , the couple were so clueless, who just sits in another persons seat when they move so you can get into the row? I have seen the seat savers on all of my cruises, I never have any issues though since I am there early to get the seats I want, I never save seats since we go as a group and sit in our own seats. Not worth fighting over seats unless I am already in it when someone tries to take it![/quote]

This is what happened to my daughter on the Enchantment. :eek: My daughter went down to the theater early to get the seat she wanted (an empty seat in an empty row). Then about twenty minutes before the show, a gentleman showed up and told her to get out of his seat! :confused: What? You've got to be kidding! :rolleyes: This happened several different nights, always with the same gentleman.....security had to get involved. :mad:

Early one evening last year on the Carnival Dream we witnessed a man and a young women meet, started kissing, then making out,..and then get VERY intimate at the bar outside at the aft. Nobody from CCL staff at the bar said or did anything.

Their encounter was broken up after several minutes when the boyfriend of the woman enjoying her new friend walked up on them, the ensuing ruckus woke up the other guy's wife.

A couple across the bar started chanting "Jerry, Jerry, Jerry!"

My family of 4, with 2 small kids, was waiting in a lounge for departure. There were two small benches and we split up, 2 on each bench. We sat there for awhile and got out our DVD player for my younger son. More people filled in the lounge and all the seats were taken. At one point, I had to stand up from my seat to push a button on the DVD player. I was still standing right in front of the bench, I didn't walk away. Some lady totally took my seat. Then she had her child squeeze in to watch our DVD player (which didn't really bother me). But since she squeezed me out, my 3yo didn't want to sit there anymore with 2 strangers and got up to be by me. Somehow this other kid managed to finagle my son's DVD player away from him and was now holding it in his lap. I couldn't believe it!

Early one evening last year on the Carnival Dream we witnessed a man and a young women meet, started kissing, then making out,..and then get VERY intimate at the bar outside at the aft. Nobody from CCL staff at the bar said or did anything.

Their encounter was broken up after several minutes when the boyfriend of the woman enjoying her new friend walked up on them, the ensuing ruckus woke up the other guy's wife.

Having bartended quite a bit in my day. I have seen quite afew encounters go from "How do you do?" to "Was it good for you?" in a split second. But on a cruise ship with both parties SOs onboard is pretty interesting. *LOL*

I find it interesting that you have made this kind of judgement call based on the fact that you have been on zero carnival cruises... but I digress...

I have friends that have sailed with them and gave me their opinions. And I've seen. Plenty of post on the carnival sections to make my opinion.

Thank you for proving my point about carnival even more.

Wow. I'm glad you are happy. With your attitude,I am sure there will one day be a post about you here.

Not even a chance. I don't act like a child while on board. I don't hoard seats and cause issues. As stated I just sit there and smile. ;)

We had a similar experience on Liberty of the Seas but this involved a man and a woman. The woman was saving a row of seas. The man asked very politely if the seats were taken and she said yes. Then he proceeded to ask by whom as none of them were occupied. He decided to sit down and in one of the seats and motioned for the rest of his family to come down and join him. The woman got in his face. They were yelling at each other. Then some of the woman's family also got involved. Cussing. Felt bad for the kids that were seeing all of this. There were probably six to eight people yelling at each other, screaming at the top of their lungs. Some RCCL people got involved and the woman and her troupe left.

It takes all kinds of people!

At dinner one night on Freedom, I was eating at MTD alone as my traveling companion wasn't feeling well. I was seated next to a table of about 8 kids, ranging in age from 5-14 or so. They ran the waiter ragged, half the time just so they could giggle over how easy it was to order him around. It was horrible.

I brought it up to the waiter on a subsequent night and he told me that the parents of those kids were sitting at a near-by table. I never saw them speak to the kids. I don't think they could have been paying ANY attention. They designated a KIDS' table in order to enjoy their ADULTS' table and made the unchaperoned gang the waiter's problem.

I could NEVER have been as polite and accommodating as he was!!! I hope they tipped him well, because I know his service to other customer's was not up to par, given the constant demands by those kids!

What are people thinking?? Really!!!

I really doubt that the server recevied a good tip. Probably took all the tips off.

Wow. Just wow to all of this. Seat savers stink, but I try really hard not to let bad behavior of others ruin my time. Of course, it would be hard to ignore if the ride guy is sitting IN YOUR SEAT like what happened to a couple of you. ;)

For the record, I have seen lots of cruise shows, and even though many of them are quite good, none of them have ever been worth getting in the middle of a fist fight! lol

I have friends that have sailed with them and gave me their opinions. And I've seen. Plenty of post on the carnival sections to make my opinion.

Mmm. I find your opinion about other cruiselines about as valid as someone who tells me: "You know, liver is really REALLY disgusting. I mean, I've never actually HAD liver, but my friend had liver and SHE said it was really disgusting. And I've read about other people having liver and THEY said it was disgusting."

If you haven't tried it yourself, then how can you REALLY know what it's like?

I've been on NCL, Carnival, Costa, Celebrity, and am making my return to RCCL this January after a pretty long hiatus. I had heard, before I went on my first Carnival cruise in many years in 2007 that it was a horrible cruiseline, and was nothing more than a party ship.

The I went on the Carnival Valor, and had the time of my life.

Good thing I didn't let preconceived notions ruin what ended up being a really good time for me.

Don't they come with the larger suites?:D

Maybe they do.:D Although I'll probably never find out until I hit the lottery and get one of those suites with the pianos and extra couches.

Off subject, but I didn't get to comment on your thread this past week, but I have to say, I do think that if you book a cheaper cabin your chances of getting poor service goes up. I would guess that entry level cabin stewards start at cheaper cabins and work their way up to the cabins with the pianos.:)

Happy cruising

Mmm. I find your opinion about other cruiselines about as valid as someone who tells me: "You know, liver is really REALLY disgusting. I mean, I've never actually HAD liver, but my friend had liver and SHE said it was really disgusting. And I've read about other people having liver and THEY said it was disgusting."

If you haven't tried it yourself, then how can you REALLY know what it's like?

I've been on NCL, Carnival, Costa, Celebrity, and am making my return to RCCL this January after a pretty long hiatus. I had heard, before I went on my first Carnival cruise in many years in 2007 that it was a horrible cruiseline, and was nothing more than a party ship.

The I went on the Carnival Valor, and had the time of my life.

Good thing I didn't let preconceived notions ruin what ended up being a really good time for me.

I never said it was a horrible line. I simply think the majority of crowds who are on each line are different demographics. As I've stated plenty of times, there always going to be a few in the crowd that don't apply. But I believe for the most part my beliefs apply.

Maybe they do.:D Although I'll probably never find out until I hit the lottery and get one of those suites with the pianos and extra couches.

Off subject, but I didn't get to comment on your thread this past week, but I have to say, I do think that if you book a cheaper cabin your chances of getting poor service goes up. I would guess that entry level cabin stewards start at cheaper cabins and work their way up to the cabins with the pianos.:)

Happy cruising

I have read thru this thread, and find it truthful, funny and sad!

We enjoy the shows, especially ice skating, and will take in a new one, when we hear about it. After seeing it once......we give up our seats, to allow those that don't have the chance to cruise as we do, the opportunity to enjoy the show.

Again we are fortunate, as 007 mentioned, suite guests have an area that is reserved. All other seats are on a first come, first served basis, and it is sad to read of some of these stories where some feel it's their right to reserve seats.......that, in fact, according to the cruise line, cannot be reserved.

This is a great "human interest" story, of how people of our great nation, feel entitlement.

If you want to take a lesson on how to push, bully with pride and facial expressions, take a lesson from the Japanese. They are the pros! No put down intended, but have lived with them in the past, and it's just their way of life. There is much to learn from this thread.

Since Royal Caribbean is not interested in monitoring the general seating in these events.....I'm beginning to think that whomever is the greatest bully.......wins!!:D:mad:

I just call it.........the "dumming down of Americans"!:rolleyes:

Rick

I just call it.........the "dumming down of Americans"!:rolleyes:

Rick

I blame it on *reality* television.

People amaze me in general. Several comments about people leaving their children for others to watch and/or supervise while they ignore them brought to mind a wedding I attended just last night. There must have been 20 kids five and under all over the dance floor. Not a problem early on. However, as the evening progressed and the parents and many others proceeded to get completely blasted the DJ had to make an announcement for parents to please take note of their children as several were getting HURT on the dance floor by other drunken party goers. It was only 8:30 p.m. I came home to play video games with the hubs. :D

Ok, after reading about all the trouble with people saving seats and people ready to beat the crap out of each other, there are RCCL employees who can help!

They are the Muster Drill Seat Police:eek:. I happened to be one of the first people in the theater for our drill, so I had a great time watching these guys. I walked in the empty room, sat in the back row, end seat and just as my backside hit the seat there was a guy standing next to me. I swear I have no idea where he came from....he was just.....there. Anyway, he told me I'd have to move to the end of the row. Really.....the end of the row was about a mile away and there was not another soul in the room yet.

As others began entering the theater, couples were going to this row, that row, end, middle until the "another guy" saw them.....he actually made everyone move and I had new seat neighbors on the other side of the world where my seat was - almost a different neighborhood than where we entered the room:D He didn't let anyone sit unless he gave permission for them to even think about sitting.

That's the kind of seat police we need in the shows. I think that would help tremendously. especially with the people who feel the need to sit on the steps. When I saw Chicago I was by myself, next to the last row in the theater, seat right on the aisle. As the room was filling up 6 or 7 young girls were going up and down the steps. Don't know if they were looking for seats, but they ended up sitting two each on a step, taking up 4 rows of steps. It was extremely annoying because everytime a barperson tried to get by it was "excuse me", they get up, he'd go by they sat back down, he came back with a full tray - "excuse me"....up they go again...aAAAAGGGHH

To top it all off, they had to sing along with the show....sing a song then discuss how they did it differently than the entertainers!!!

OMG....Where the heck was the Muster Drill Seat Police when you need them most:D:D

Mommomporkchop

To clear things, I am not a violent person by nature. The wife and I had gone to a show and got there good and early. Found great seats and just relaxed until the show. The room filled up pretty quickly with a few scattered seats remaining. Two seats next to us (nearish the middle) were empty with a few random "double seats" here and there. Two couples came in just before the show started and asked if we could move so they could all sit together. This would have involved climbing over multiple people and moving a row or two over. I told them "I'm sorry, but we're fine where we are. That's why we got here on time". The guy proceeds to call me an A-hole. I stood up and told him "I hope that's not going to be a problem". He blinked and said "um nevermind" and off they went. Very simple. Maybe the fact that I am 6'3'' and work out 4-5 times per week had some impact on his decision...lol. I know there is always someone bigger, but sometimes, you just have to play the "size card".

To clear things, I am not a violent person by nature. The wife and I had gone to a show and got there good and early. Found great seats and just relaxed until the show. The room filled up pretty quickly with a few scattered seats remaining. Two seats next to us (nearish the middle) were empty with a few random "double seats" here and there. Two couples came in just before the show started and asked if we could move so they could all sit together. This would have involved climbing over multiple people and moving a row or two over. I told them "I'm sorry, but we're fine where we are. That's why we got here on time". The guy proceeds to call me an A-hole. I stood up and told him "I hope that's not going to be a problem". He blinked and said "um nevermind" and off they went. Very simple. Maybe the fact that I am 6'3'' and work out 4-5 times per week had some impact on his decision...lol. I know there is always someone bigger, but sometimes, you just have to play the "size card".

According to you the seats next to you were empty? Doesn't sound like you'd have to climb over anyone or switch any rows. Just slide down two seats? In this case I dont see the trouble in doing this. Sounds more like you just didn't want to be courteous. I could be wrong if your description is wrong but thats what it sounds like.

Archived