Limited Access Balcony

crusinfools

Just a guess, but isn't that some of the cabins at the bow. You are not suppose to be out on the balconies while underway because of the wind.
I'm guessing you're correct. On some ships, there are balconies at the very front of the ship, facing forward, that are usable only when the ship is in port. The doors are locked when the ship is at sea. I don't believe there's even furniture on them. Most are on Lido deck and on the Sapphire/Diamond, they're on Baja and Caribe. If you book these cabins, you might as well book an outside cabin rather than pay for a balcony.

Most are on Lido deck and on the Sapphire/Diamond, they're on Baja and Caribe. If you book these cabins, you might as well book an outside cabin rather than pay for a balcony.

When we had one of these cabins on the Diamond, it was listed as a "Deluxe Oceanview".

I'm guessing you're correct. On some ships, there are balconies at the very front of the ship, facing forward, that are usable only when the ship is in port. The doors are locked when the ship is at sea. I don't believe there's even furniture on them. Most are on Lido deck and on the Sapphire/Diamond, they're on Baja and Caribe. If you book these cabins, you might as well book an outside cabin rather than pay for a balcony.

Exactly right. They look as though they would be the prize location on the ship but not if you want to use the balcony. You can use only in port.:eek:

We had 701, a forward on the Ocean Princess. Door was not locked and we did use it on sea days. We did have a table and two chairs. Were just warned not to leave it propped open, it had a regular door rather than a sliding door. There are two regular balconies and two suites on each deck. I think only two decks.

Our TA recently mentioned on of these category CC "Deluxe Oceanview" cabins on the Sapphire (Baja & Caribe decks) which is a forward facing "slightly larger version of an oceanview" cabin. It appears to be like a balcony cabin only for much less but being all the way forward my mal de mer prone wife wasn't interested even though is was half the price difference of upgrading to the cheapest balcony cabin.

"While the room features a balcony, it is only permitted during daytime hours for navigational reasons & has no balcony furniture".

http://www.princess.com/learn/ships/sa/deck_plans/popup.html

I sailed B101 on Diamond, no locks, no problem using balcony (no furniture) it was cool to have the windshield view rather than just one side. It was however a very, very long walk to the horizon court.

I get the idea that each ship or captain decides on whether or not the lock policy is enforced, you will have to wait and see.

recently on the Sapphire. Doors locked under way and had to keep the curtains closed at night or leave the lights off...bridge crew called one night to remind us :)

Really doesn't sound like cabins I'd ever want to sail in. For the above reason and also I've done one very forward cabin before on a HAL ship and it was really the only time I've cruised that I felt quesy at times.

Archived