Helicopter crash

Hroswitha

I just saw on the MSNBC Web site that a sightseeing helicopter crashed in Hawaii today. According to their report, it was a Blue Hawaii tour over Maui and Molokai, and everyone on board was killed. How awful for the victims and their families and friends!

This is really tragic. Blue Hawaiian has a very good reputation but has not yet posted any info (that I can access). I saw the report on Fox. It is such a tragedy. We can only be thankful that none of the children attending the elementary school were injured. I am so sorry for the pilot, passengers, and their families. Cherie

That is sad to hear. My prayers go out to the families.

One of the couples were on their honeymoon.

Our friends heli tour was cancelled last week in Kauai. It was Blue Hawaiian and they, like one of the couples, are from PA.

Our friends heli tour was cancelled last week in Kauai. It was Blue Hawaiian and they, like one of the couples, are from PA.

So sad.

http://www.wtae.com/r/29748896/detail.html

http://cranberry.patch.com/articles/westinghouse-engineers-killed-in-honeymoon-helicopter-crash

We used them in Kauai as well mostly because we can choose and they had till now a stellar reputation. Like you we experienced similar aspect. They choose not to fly while many other companies did under what was less than perfect conditions on Kauai on a day.

I just saw on the MSNBC Web site that a sightseeing helicopter crashed in Hawaii today. According to their report, it was a Blue Hawaii tour over Maui and Molokai, and everyone on board was killed. How awful for the victims and their families and friends!

We also used Blue Hawaii in October for Hilo and Napali Coast, the pilot was extremely good and never once did we feel that our safety was at risk nor did he fly close to any of the mountain sides.

We used them because of their safety record.

Nicole and Michael Abel were married on Nov.5th in Pittsburgh, PA. They are the couple from Pittsburgh who died in this horrible crash. Being from Pittsburgh it was on our news this evening. Nicoles Father called the local stations to tell them it was his daughter and her new husband involved in this crash. Please remember this couple and the others in your thoughts and prayers. This is a very sad time for all of their families and friends.

Thank you

Carol

While it will be awhile before the cause is known, they report that weather was not good in the area...strong winds & rain but that's probably not unusual in Hawaii. Whether it's mechanical or pilot error, it doesn't change the tragedy for everyone involved.

Blue Hawaiian's only other fatal crash was in 2000 with 7 fatalities & the NTSB said "the pilot was responsible for the crash when he flew into the valley despite cloudy conditions" into the clouds & a mountain.

Having flown helicopters for a career, any crash is a tragedy & eventually a probable cause will be determined. Even though I didn't fly in the Islands, I've spent a lot of time there & know how quickly the weather conditions can change. If it's mechanical, it needs to be corrected to avoid future tragedies. I had two good friend's killed by a faulty part that was not suppose to be in their helicopter...they had the faulty part, I didn't & they lost their lives.

http://www.mauinews.com/page/content.detail/id/555200/Helicopter-crash-on-Molokai-kills-5.html?nav=10

http://www.mauinews.com/page/content.detail/id/555223.html

Thanks...I've been looking at the Maui News website but not many updates...guess I'll have to check the Honolulu Star Advertisor instead. It's rare to have parts fall from an aircraft & hopefully the video will not be damaged to give the NTSB some additional clues.

Archived