Dress code in Blu

louise44

Off of Eclipse this morning. Thursday night (2nd and last formal night) it got a little tense in Blu. As we arrived for dinner a man was speaking loudly to maitre d saying that he would not be comfortable wearing one of the "house jackets" and he announced that he would eat at buffet upstairs. Eventually so many men arrived without jackets that Marcel the matre d ran out of house jackets to give to them so he moved to a sort of "class system" with those dressed with jackets getting seats closer to the window and the jacketless sitting closer to the entrance...it got to the point that this level of determination to enforce formal night despite expressed company policy was somewhere between irritating, ridiculous and pathetic.

Off of Eclipse this morning. Thursday night (2nd and last formal night) it got a little tense in Blu. As we arrived for dinner a man was speaking loudly to maitre d saying that he would not be comfortable wearing one of the "house jackets" and he announced that he would eat at buffet upstairs. Eventually so many men arrived without jackets that Marcel the matre d ran out of house jackets to give to them so he moved to a sort of "class system" with those dressed with jackets getting seats closer to the window and the jacketless sitting closer to the entrance...it got to the point that this level of determination to enforce formal night despite expressed company policy was somewhere between irritating, ridiculous and pathetic.

Thanks for the report. I would hope that the passengers who were expressing discomfort/irritation with this guy's mistaken policy are willing to report to Celebrity's head-honchos about the problem.

Thanks for reporting this. Forewarned is forearmed - on my upcoming cruise, I will be sure to bring hardcopies of Celebrity's policy and hardcopies of emails to customer service clarifying the dress code.

My wife and I are paying for an upgrade to Aqua class precisely because we feel that it is ridiculous to drag around formal wear for a Carribean cruise. We are aware that people like to dress up and we have no problem with that - adults have every right to dress as they please. But in our view the idea of 'dressing up' and 'formal nights' on pleasure cruises - in the tropics no less - are a pompous anachronism that would be better done away with altogether.

I hope anyone who encountered this rude and misinformed Maitre'd left a scathing commentary mentioning him by name on their cruise survey. Such behavior should simply not be tolerated by X.

"But in our view the idea of 'dressing up' and 'formal nights' on pleasure cruises - in the tropics no less - are a pompous anachronism that would be better done away with altogether."

WOW:eek::confused::(

You should have left it at ::: "We are aware that people like to dress up and we have no problem with that - adults have every right to dress as they please."

"But in our view the idea of 'dressing up' and 'formal nights' on pleasure cruises - in the tropics no less - are a pompous anachronism that would be better done away with altogether."

You should have left it at ::: "We are aware that people like to dress up and we have no problem with that - adults have every right to dress as they please."

Well, OK. It's just that so many of the posters here seemed to be trying to pressure/shame/coerce people into dressing a certain way, I thought it was OK to express a different view.

There should be no reason that the 'two kinds' of people - those who like to dress up on cruises in the tropics, and those who view dressing up on cruises in the tropics as pretentious and anachronistic - can't coexist peacefully.

Basically, neither one of these 'groups' - or those people in between - should feel that they have the power to impose their values upon others. And if they do, they need to be set straight :D

Maybe he wanted the fish to see the people who were dressed up, kind of ridiculous....

Well, OK. It's just that so many of the posters here seemed to be trying to pressure/shame/coerce people into dressing a certain way, I thought it was OK to express a different view.

There should be no reason that the 'two kinds' of people - those who like to dress up on cruises in the tropics, and those who view dressing up on cruises in the tropics as pretentious and anachronistic - can't coexist peacefully.

Basically, neither one of these 'groups' - or those people in between - should feel that they have the power to impose their values upon others. And if they do, they need to be set straight :D

I don't see what the "tropics" have to do with the discussion - the temperature in the dining rooms is the same whether you are in Alaska or the Caribbean:confused: You will not get all sweaty if you have a jacket on:D

I don't see what the "tropics" have to do with the discussion - the temperature in the dining rooms is the same whether you are in Alaska or the Caribbean:confused: You will not get all sweaty if you have a jacket on:D

You don't need a jacket since it is SMART CASUAL OR ABOVE.

True enough, the dining areas are AC'd. However, one must admit that it is fairly ridiculous to drag along formal wear in tropical climes. I say that fully realizing that some people get a thrill dressing up on a tropical vacation. Personally, I don't get it - but if it turns those people on no problem - different strokes for different folks.

I only have an issue when the people who like to play 'dress up' try to force everyone else to go along, whether they like it or not. That's where the line has to be drawn ;)

So far it sounds like the problem is being reported mainly on the Eclipse. I'd give it 2 more cruises & the issue should be resolved. There are quite a few complaints on the X Facebook page.

Yeah, so far it seems we've had confimred reports from two ships: Eclipse is still enforcing the outdated formal rule, and Silhouette is actually getting it right. I'm wondering about Solstice and Equinox...

Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants/trousers (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pant/trousers (no holes, rips or tears) with collared sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. As a courtesy to our guests, we respectfully require and enforce compliance with dress code at the entrance of your restaurant of choice. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the 'Smart Casual and Above: dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Formal

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or dressy pantsuit

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks.

Specialty Restaurants (Including Blu for our AquaClass Guests)

The dress code is Celebrity's Specialty Restaurant is 'Smart Casual and Above' for every night of your cruise. Formal attire is only required in the main dining room on your formal evenings.

Unfortunately on Eclipse you can print the page and show it to maitre d. He will say web page is wrong and he is right and that Celebrity will correct the "mistake" soon. Then he will give you a jacket and say you at least must drape it over your arm or put on back of chair.

We were thrilled to learn in Cruise Critic that smart casual was now appropriate in Blu on formal nights, as it was listed as a specialty restaurant. That saved one whole suitcase for us, without compromising the elegance of the MDR for those who wanted to play dress up. Just in case, we brought hard copy of the policy, but there was no issue on Silhouette.

That said, rather than enjoying the Mid Western raised turkey that the formal diners enjoyed on Thanksgiving in the MDR, the diners in BLU were served Airline Chicken. Authentic enough, although having the tiny airline cutlery would have perfected the offering. BLU clearly isn't a slave to tradition, making smart casual equally appropriate.

Reviewing the Celebrity website upon our return, BLU isn't currently listed as a specialty restaurant at the moment as the site continues to morph - so the policy could easily change from what it was in November.

I agree, it is interesting how some can't simply respect the wishes of others. We will be in BLU and dressed for formal nights and we could care less how others dress, whether up or down.

The maitre d is not ignorant of the rule change here; passengers are showing him printout of the website indicating that Blu is never formal. So it is inaccurate to say that staff has not been notified. Indeed, if he is shown written company policy by passengers and he has not received instruction regarding policy change, it should be his responsibility to check with his superiors and assure that policy is adhered too consistently.

The maitre d is not ignorant of the rule change here; passengers are showing him printout of the website indicating that Blu is never formal. So it is inaccurate to say that staff has not been notified. Indeed, if he is shown written company policy by passengers and he has not received instruction regarding policy change, it should be his responsibility to check with his superiors and assure that policy is adhered too consistently.

The funny thing is apparently he did ask a superior who was on the ship. It was reported earlier in this thread that one of the high executives was on board and told him the dress code was formal on formal nights...I'm a little confused as I checked back and you reported it in post number 89.

We were thrilled to learn in Cruise Critic that smart casual was now appropriate in Blu on formal nights, as it was listed as a specialty restaurant. That saved one whole suitcase for us, without compromising the elegance of the MDR for those who wanted to play dress up. Just in case, we brought hard copy of the policy, but there was no issue on Silhouette.

That said, rather than enjoying the Mid Western raised turkey that the formal diners enjoyed on Thanksgiving in the MDR, the diners in BLU were served Airline Chicken. Authentic enough, although having the tiny airline cutlery would have perfected the offering. BLU clearly isn't a slave to tradition, making smart casual equally appropriate.

Reviewing the Celebrity website upon our return, BLU isn't currently listed as a specialty restaurant at the moment as the site continues to morph - so the policy could easily change from what it was in November.

Its still on the US web site in a few places that it is a specialty restaurant...Heres one...

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/tabLanding.do?pagename=onboard_dining#onboard_proper_dining_attire_tab/onboard/textPanel.do%3Fpagename=onboard_proper_dining_attire

We're leaving on the Silhouette on the 12th(:)), so I wanted to hear from a Celebrity rep directly on the matter....I called their call center, spoke to 'Phoenicia', and related the stories told on this site of maitre'd's enforcing formal dressware in Blu on formal night, irregardless of published policy.

She put me on a brief hold to consult with the supervisor on duty.

She came back and said that they were going to turn it over to their IT department to correct the publications that on formal night, formal dress is required in Blu. I told her that this has been ongoing and am surprised it hasn't been already addressed, but I will be bringing my suit.....

I call utter BS on you. Airline Chicken is a mainstay on their daily menu. They had Filet on Thanksgiving (and several other nice dishes) as well as Turkey from the MDR for those who wanted it.

Also, dress code was enforced and there were more tuxes than I could count. I was very surprised. It seems to be a UK for leaving from southampton change. If those in charge haven't let the staff on ships know, I don't know what people expect the maitre'D to do.

Good grief - a bit touchy aren't we?

I'll agree with you that Airline Chicken is normally a "Plan B" option on the daily menu in BLU, but after your aborted efforts to count tuxes surely it didn't escape you that Airline Chicken had been promoted to featured entree status for Thanksgiving - it was the only menu offering that had once had feathers. They did indeed offer a filet on Thanksgiving for those who weren't already beefed out - also a pasta and a fish entree - but they definitely promoted Airline Chicken to main entree status for that meal.

We told our waitress that we were surprised and a bit disappointed that there was no turkey on the menu, and she proudly replied "Oh no, we're sticking with our regular formal night menu". Turkey was clearly not presented to us as an option in BLU. She didn't offer to run down to the MDR and grab a couple of slices if we really wanted turkey - she firmly stated that it wasn't being offered.

My wife and I arrived in smart casual attire, we were greeted by the Maitre D, and seated next to a window with a smile. They didn't try to hide us. Admittedly we made no formal efforts at enumeration, but glancing about we observed that enough others were dressed in smart casual wear, sport coats, and business suits, that we felt very appropriately attired. Tuxes were in the minority at the time we were there, so obviously many vacationers had latest information.

What was most conspicuously absent was people. BLU had significantly lower patronage on Thanksgiving than on any previous night. We later learned that people check the menu's before deciding on dining venue - and we speculate that those with a hankering for the "Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner" that the Captain promised were smart enough to make other arrangements.

You've declared "utter BS" on me.

Seems a bit harsh, unless you're the Maitre D writing under a nom de plume, so I'd submit it was a bit of an over reaction. Is there any inaccuracy or deception in my experience? Which part of my comment was utter BS? At no point did I intimate that filet was absent from the menu, I merely inferred that chicken - airline inspired or otherwise - is not IMHO a Thanksgiving tradition - thereby implying that smart casual might be over-dressing.

This forum can be an amazingly helpful tool - our cruise experience was definitely enhanced by little bits of information we picked up on Cruise Critic before boarding - so we felt it appropriate to share some of our experience. It can also become an incredible waste of time if constructive comments are met with undue hostility. I'll make no judgment calls on you, but it sounds like you need a vacation.

Good grief - a bit touchy aren't we?

I'll agree with you that Airline Chicken is normally a "Plan B" option on the daily menu in BLU, but after your aborted efforts to count tuxes surely it didn't escape you that Airline Chicken had been promoted to featured entree status for Thanksgiving - it was the only menu offering that had once had feathers. They did indeed offer a filet on Thanksgiving for those who weren't already beefed out - also a pasta and a fish entree - but they definitely promoted Airline Chicken to main entree status for that meal.

We told our waitress that we were surprised and a bit disappointed that there was no turkey on the menu, and she proudly replied "Oh no, we're sticking with our regular formal night menu". Turkey was clearly not presented to us as an option in BLU. She didn't offer to run down to the MDR and grab a couple of slices if we really wanted turkey - she firmly stated that it wasn't being offered.

My wife and I arrived in smart casual attire, we were greeted by the Maitre D, and seated next to a window with a smile. They didn't try to hide us. Admittedly we made no formal efforts at enumeration, but glancing about we observed that enough others were dressed in smart casual wear, sport coats, and business suits, that we felt very appropriately attired. Tuxes were in the minority at the time we were there, so obviously many vacationers had latest information.

What was most conspicuously absent was people. BLU had significantly lower patronage on Thanksgiving than on any previous night. We later learned that people check the menu's before deciding on dining venue - and we speculate that those with a hankering for the "Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner" that the Captain promised were smart enough to make other arrangements.

You've declared "utter BS" on me.

Seems a bit harsh, unless you're the Maitre D writing under a nom de plume, so I'd submit it was a bit of an over reaction. Is there any inaccuracy or deception in my experience? Which part of my comment was utter BS? At no point did I intimate that filet was absent from the menu, I merely inferred that chicken - airline inspired or otherwise - is not IMHO a Thanksgiving tradition - thereby implying that smart casual might be over-dressing.

This forum can be an amazingly helpful tool - our cruise experience was definitely enhanced by little bits of information we picked up on Cruise Critic before boarding - so we felt it appropriate to share some of our experience. It can also become an incredible waste of time if constructive comments are met with undue hostility. I'll make no judgment calls on you, but it sounds like you need a vacation.

Great response to a completely out-of-line insult.

Civilized, informative, and utterly devastating.

Nicely done :D

Archived