Will we be sleeping backward or forward?

njaloha

At the very end of this interesting article about choosing the right cabin,

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?id=77, the author states, "Now, what about the backward-facing furniture that makes me (and a few others) crazy? " and then suggests searching through the boards here for information on this topic. However, the Solstice sticky covering the cabin information doesn't include this information. :confused:

Where can I find information on whether a Solstice ship cabin has bed facing forward or aft? I swear there's a website somewhere because I swear I used it before our POA cruise way back in 2005.

Or perhaps all beds face forward?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. :)

Celebrity definitely has some beds facing forward and some facing backwards -- that is, some have the head of the bed at the forward end of the room, and others have the head of the bed at the aft end of the room AND in some rooms the beds face port or starboard. As to a website which shows all the possible arrangements, room by room, none that I know of but perhaps others know of such.

Is it possible to work it out by the location of the cabin? eg narrow cabins off an across aisle would be one way depending on what side of the aisle they are, with the door being the opposite end to the bedhead.

I know I was concerned that it might be strange to be sleeping up and down, in a narrow cabin, with the length along the aisle, rather than a cabin with the bed across the ship, but found there was no difference to our sleeping pattern. Not easy to explain, without a drawing.

Is it possible to work it out by the location of the cabin? eg narrow cabins off an across aisle would be one way depending on what side of the aisle they are, with the door being the opposite end to the bedhead.

I know I was concerned that it might be strange to be sleeping up and down, in a narrow cabin, with the length along the aisle, rather than a cabin with the bed across the ship, but found there was no difference to our sleeping pattern. Not easy to explain, without a drawing.

Maybe you could draw it, scan it and post it as an attachment to another note. I, for one, have no idea how to interpret what you described. I am sure it is just me being thick headed.

Thanks, Larry

I'm not affected by whether the furniture is facing forward or aft. The rooms to look out for are the ones below the waterline. You need scuba gear and a wet suit to sleep in those, so try to avoid them.

OK, I'm kidding. Water wings and a nose plug are all you need.

Seriously, in an inside cabin it's difficult to know where the front of the ship is. Movement is so subtle that it won't provide a clue. With window or balcony rooms, the only time you'll know if you are facing front or rear is by looking at the movement of the water outisde. Close your drapes and you won't have a clue.

I was SOO concerned about this. I'd only ever slept with my feet toward the front of the boat and my head toward the aft, however on my recent Equinox cruise, I was feet toward the back and head toward the front!

To be honest, it made NO difference. I totally thought it would, too. I am prone to sea sickness, however, did not feel any issue with it being the other way around.

Now, having the bed sideways under the window (like some royal ships have) I don't think I'd ever want to try LOL....

There's really not an easy way to know. Our neighbors bed was opposite of our bed.

Maybe you could draw it, scan it and post it as an attachment to another note. I, for one, have no idea how to interpret what you described. I am sure it is just me being thick headed.

Thanks, Larry

I believe MM is referring to the head of the bed being under the window with foot towards the door versus the bed lying perpendicular to the wall between the cabins and parallel to the passageway and hull. :eek: Holy moly, I just read that back and it sounds awful. :confused:

I was SOO concerned about this. I'd only ever slept with my feet toward the front of the boat and my head toward the aft, however on my recent Equinox cruise, I was feet toward the back and head toward the front!

To be honest, it made NO difference. I totally thought it would, too. I am prone to sea sickness, however, did not feel any issue with it being the other way around.

Now, having the bed sideways under the window (like some royal ships have) I don't think I'd ever want to try LOL....

There's really not an easy way to know. Our neighbors bed was opposite of our bed.

Thanks for your reply. I think I might be prone to seasickness and that's why I asked but my DH assures me I won't even know the difference. He claims our cabin on the Magic was backward and the POA was forward. I don't remember. He says it's not like when you're on a train or in a car where the motion is considerable. I'm not going to worry about it any more!!!!! :D oh, and congrats on your countdown clock.

Movement is so subtle that it won't provide a clue.

This is what DH said after I told him I had posted this question.

My best advice is to purchase the premium alcohol package and use it to it fullest potential. Fall into bed sideways and then wait for the room to face whatever way you want it to.:D

Oh, that's funny. I'd definitely have other things to worry about besides where my feet are pointing like where's the head.

and don't forget to remove the chocolates from the pillows!

We get chocolates on our pillows?:confused: ;)

We get chocolates on our pillows?:confused: ;) [/size][/font][/b]

Ours was placed on the copy of next day's activities newsletter. And our bed was perpendicular to the direction of the ship in a Celebrity suite. Loved the gentle side to side motion of the waves.

Ours was placed on the copy of next day's activities newsletter. And our bed was perpendicular to the direction of the ship in a Celebrity suite. Loved the gentle side to side motion of the waves.

AAAAHHHHH!!!! I remember trying to unpack the night we embarked on our trip on NCL POA out of Honolulu. I could barely keep my eyes open. Kind of like reverting back to infanthood.

My best advice is to purchase the premium alcohol package and use it to it fullest potential. Fall into bed sideways and then wait for the room to face whatever way you want it to.:D

HAHAHAH!! I love it!!

Im so confused reading this--- Now what if Im in an aft cabin-- what happens and where are my feet??!!:eek:

Thanks for your reply. I think I might be prone to seasickness and that's why I asked but my DH assures me I won't even know the difference. He claims our cabin on the Magic was backward and the POA was forward. I don't remember. He says it's not like when you're on a train or in a car where the motion is considerable. I'm not going to worry about it any more!!!!! :D oh, and congrats on your countdown clock.

OK, I get seasick standing on the dock watching a boat rock. I say this only because I have been in a cabin of almost any configuration. The one with the bed sideways against the hull/wall, was like sleeping in my bedroom as a kid. As far as movement goes, it made absolutely no difference. The only cabin type in which I was aware of momentum was an aft cabin on a high deck but still over the propellers. You could feel the vibration when they put the engines in reverse to dock. Oh, and I have never been seasick on a cruise ship (now boats, planes, trains, cars and docks are another story - wink)

No matter what configuration, you will be very comfortable.

I have never been able to discern which way we are traveling, unless I look at the water....it's not like being in a car or train!

Agree. I constantly find myself looking outside to see which way the water is going so I know which direction to walk to go forward or aft. These ships are amazingly smooth. Most of the time, that is.

I believe MM is referring to the head of the bed being under the window with foot towards the door versus the bed lying perpendicular to the wall between the cabins and parallel to the passageway and hull. :eek: Holy moly, I just read that back and it sounds awful. :confused:

Yes.

Archived