What determines a luxury cruise?

lrowe70

I'm curious as to why 1 line may be considered luxury while another is not.

Specifically why is Windstar luxury while Star Clippers is not? :confused:

I've been on both lines and Star Clippers was far superior to Windstar in service, condition of the ship, food, location and it was higher priced. But yet Star Clippers is not listed, or even mentioned, when talk of luxury crusing comes up.

Does anyone consider Windstar a luxury line? That is the first time I have ever heard it referred to in that way.

These are the luxury lines

Crystal

Regent Seven Seas

Sea Dream

Seabourn

Silversea

Upscale though not luxury by any means would be :

Azamara

Oceania

Windstar

Does anyone consider Windstar a luxury line? That is the first time I have ever heard it referred to in that way.

These are the luxury lines

Crystal

Regent Seven Seas

Sea Dream

Seabourn

Silversea

Upscale though not luxury by any means would be :

Azamara

Oceania

Windstar

Oceania's Marina is pretty close to luxury. It even cracked the 5 star rating by Berlitz Cruise guide. I rate the Grills aboard Cunard line as luxury, though the rest of the ships are considered premium.

I don't think anyone considers Windstar a luxury cruise line. The ratings come from the travel industry.

Most (not all) luxury lines are inclusive of drinks (alcoholic and non) and tips. Most include economy airfare in the cost of the cruise. Rather than "cabins" or "staterooms", the majority of luxury cruise lines have "suites" (include small sitting areas). Of all the luxury cruise lines, I can think of only two dining venues that has a cost associated with it (both on Silversea).

You will not hear frequent announcements on luxury cruise lines nor will there be loud music and games by the pool (in most cases the pools are too small:-)

One luxury cruise line even includes excursions. You could almost board the ship without a penny in your pocket and do quite well ("almost" because you really should tip the guides on the tours).

Archived