Laundry Question

mort&fran

HAL cabins have a stuff bag (not its name, but it's amazing how much can be "stuffed" into one) for laundry; everything in it gets washed, dried and folded for a flat fee ($13?), and returned the next day (usually). Does X have something like that? (HAL also has the per-piece and unlimited-for-a-per-day-fee options, but the stuff bag has proven to be much more economical for us.)

We had stuff the bag specials on our cruise last month, I believe it was 34.50 for the stuff the bag special. This is one area where HAL is superior to X, HAL has great unlimited laundry pricing. I think it's just under $50 a week. On our 11 night celebrity cruise I think we spent about $230 on laundry. Sent it our every day, however, it was great to travel light & come home with all clean clothing. The special was offered about mid cruise. If you're a captains club member you also get some coupons for laundry. I think if you're elite you'll get a bag each of free laundry.

We had stuff the bag specials on our cruise last month, I believe it was 34.50 for the stuff the bag special. This is one area where HAL is superior to X, HAL has great unlimited laundry pricing. I think it's just under $50 a week. On our 11 night celebrity cruise I think we spent about $230 on laundry. Sent it our every day, however, it was great to travel light & come home with all clean clothing. The special was offered about mid cruise. If you're a captains club member you also get some coupons for laundry. I think if you're elite you'll get a bag each of free laundry.

Yes, if you are Elite you receive can get up to 30 items washed and folded. If there are two Elite members in one cabin, you get two sets of coupons. There is also one for pressing and dry cleaning. It is a great perk for being Elite.

Yes, if you are Elite you receive can get up to 30 items washed and folded. If there are two Elite members in one cabin, you get two sets of coupons. There is also one for pressing and dry cleaning. It is a great perk for being Elite.

This is one weakness for X compared to other cruise lines. NCL has this PERK for everyone, and every week.

This is one weakness for X compared to other cruise lines. NCL has this PERK for everyone, and every week.

Not sure what you mean. NCL offers a laundry bag service for $24.95 that is offered to everyone. I was referring to being an Elite member on Celebrity and we receive the above-mentioned deal for free as Elite members.

Not sure what you mean. NCL offers a laundry bag service for $24.95 that is offered to everyone. I was referring to being an Elite member on Celebrity and we receive the above-mentioned deal for free as Elite members.

This is one area I like about Carnival especially on longer cruises. They have laundry rooms on every other deck so we could wash whenever we needed and it was rarely crowded.

Sorry, I should have been more precise. NCL does charge the modest fee for the laundry bag, while X only allows for Elite members. Apparently, on X you must pay the regular laundry prices. We plan to handwash most of our dirty clothes.

Just to reinforce what has been said:

We've found that Celebrity has not offered the bag of laundry special in recent years, except as an end of cruise special around the second to last day of some cruises. Of course this does not consider the coupons given to Elite Captain's Club members which are similar to, and sometimes include, the bag of laundry special.

But while the special was nice it isn't all that big of a deal. When they did offer it the price was usually $29. When we used this in the past we spent a lot of time carefully filling the small paper sack to get the absolute maximum amount of clothing into it. I always tallied this up and found that we could fit anywhere from $45 to $55 of clothing at the standard laundry prices. While a $15 or $25 discount is really nice it isn't the end of the world and the lack of it wouldn't be enough to change our approach to using the ship's laundry much. Besides, items sent in a bag of laundry special are returned folded in a sack but not pressed while items laundered at the standard piece rate come back pressed and on hangers if appropriate for the item.

It would be really nice if Celebrity offered an unlimited laundry price like someone mentioned for HAL but the fact is they don't. We're fortunate to now be Elite level of Captain's Club so we get some laundry discounts which cover a good portion of our laundry cost. We've found that using the ship's laundry makes life so much easier, especially on longer cruises, that we'd probably use it as much even if we had no discounts. I'd guess we spend about $50 a cruise on laundry for longer cruises and would probably spend about twice that if we didn't have the Elite laundry discounts.

I wish they had a laundry special too. Years ago on NCL I did laundry in the laundry room (on the Jewel) which was great on an 11 day Caribbean cruise. A few years ago on Royal Caribbean we did the bag special when we were on a cruise and it worked well. Our X cruise this time is only 7 days, but with two days pre-cruise in San Juan and three days post-cruise I think we need to do laundry! By the time you add the airline bag fees it will even out I guess! :( I don't want to wander around San Juan looking for a laundromat.

HAL cabins have a stuff bag (not its name, but it's amazing how much can be "stuffed" into one) for laundry; everything in it gets washed, dried and folded for a flat fee ($13?), and returned the next day (usually). Does X have something like that? (HAL also has the per-piece and unlimited-for-a-per-day-fee options, but the stuff bag has proven to be much more economical for us.)

Yes-similar stuff bag. Aslo when you arrive in your cabin-check the desk there will be coupons for laundry etc.

Have a great trip

Carole

Am on Eclipse 7 day cruise now and am Select. Got no laundry coupons in my coupon pack except one coupon for 2 free pressed items.. That's it. last February on Infinity 14 day cruise we did receive stuffed bag all you can stuff coupons...may vary by cruise.

I know people love "traveling light" but I would prefer to pay the extra luggage fee:) Obviously I don't travel light - my carry on is for my shoes:D

Am on Eclipse 7 day cruise now and am Select. Got no laundry coupons in my coupon pack except one coupon for 2 free pressed items.. That's it. last February on Infinity 14 day cruise we did receive stuffed bag all you can stuff coupons...may vary by cruise.

Both those discounts follow the published "Select" benefits: http://www.celebritycruises.com/captainsclub/heroSingleTxtSub.do?pagename=select_member_benefits

These indicate the coupon for a discounted (not free) bag of laundry is for cruises of 12 nights or longer at the Select level.

Just got back from 12 nights in the Med on Solstice. I was told that the stuff the bag special had been discontinued. As Select, we got coupons for two free pressed items each--that's it. Since the cruise was in the middle of a month-long vacation, we did need to take advantage of the laundry for a few things to get us through the rest of our trip!

Archived