Clothing Steamers?

shofer

Going w/my friend on her first cruise and she wants to take a steamer. I have read that sometimes they confiscate them. If she puts it in her checked luggage, would she keep it?

I have never used one in 9 cruises so this is a new question for me.

Sue

Going w/my friend on her first cruise and she wants to take a steamer. I have read that sometimes they confiscate them. If she puts it in her checked luggage, would she keep it?

I have never used one in 9 cruises so this is a new question for me.

Sue

We used to always bring one and so did family members (checked in luggage). They were never taken from us. It's been a couple years since we've taken one now. Now we just send out whatever we think needs to be pressed on the first day (there is a fee for this). If there are some items that aren't that wrinkled, we just hang them in the bathroom on the robe hook while taking a hot shower with the bathroom door closed.

If she really wants to take one, I suggest contacting the cruise line to see if they allow it.

This comes from the Princess website:

For your convenience, Princess vessels have self-service launderettes where washers, dryers and laundry products are available for a negligible charge. Please note that irons/ironing boards are available in the self-service laundry rooms. Ironing and using personal clothes steamers are not permitted in any stateroom. Although rare, on certain itineraries environmental regulations relating to the consumption of water may impact the operating hours of the launderettes. These restrictions, when applicable will be posted in the Princess Patter.

We tried to bring a steamer in our carry on and it WAS confiscated upon embarkation. They give you a claim tag so that you can retrieve it upon your return. I never tried to put it through in my checked luggage. It just wasn't worth taking the chance to have TSA open a suitcase and go through our things unsupervised. Just use the iron and ironing board at "off times.". Don't steam your formal clothing a couple of hours prior to formal night dinner! :-)

• 4 months later...

Archived