Cruise Websites? GTY Rates?

It has become very clear to me that all cruise pricing is cruise line controlled. Basically no matter which website or agent I use I will get the SAME price? But it does appear some sites offer 'perks' Ex: OBC or maybe a bottle of wine?

Can someone suggest a website they have used that offers the 'bonus' perks?

Also, have an increasing number of websites gone to the practice of offering "Guarantee Only" rates to appear to offer lower rates? Should I bite or are the 'Guarantee Only' rooms likely to be the least desirable cabins in the category that are leftover as the ship fills??? Right now I am considering NCL for my next cruise and they seem to be offering a lot of GTY RATE bookings.

When you book a GTY....you may get a less desirable location. If location is important, then book a specific cabin.

Sometimes, a GTY booking will get an "upgrade" to a better catagory...but not always! If you do decide to book a GTY, make sure you are happy with the catagory of cabin, regardless of WHERE on the ship it might be!

We like to choose where on the ship we will spend our vacation...unless it was a "suite" gty, I wouldn't book it.

Never book a guarentee unless you would be happy with any cabin in the category you are booking and in every higher category. Sometimes, people so very well with cabin assignments from a guarentee. Other times, people get the worst possible cabin. You should prepare for the worst cabin and be pleasantly surprised with anything else.

I booked our upcoming cruise on carnival dream kinda late, less than 3 months from sail date, at the time of booking if i were to choose my cabin it would have cost me 7-- per person and the available cabins were not great, so i decided to book a guarantee cabin for 150 less per person with the thinking I can only do a lil bit worse than with paying to choose our specific cabin. I would say if booking earlier with a great selection of cabins and the class/location you want is available then pick your room, if you only have a lil bit to lose and more to potentially gain with guarantee go guarantee. Last cruise we booked on OV guarantee and ended up with a balcony. I have never been hurt by using the guarantee cabin, but again I am easy going and don't particularly care if I am near an elevator or other "less desirable" location on the ship.

• 1 month later...

You can find companies online that advertise on the TV ALL the time. You know who they are. You can also find online companies that specialize in cruises and many of them have the word "cruise" in their title. You can do a search and find them.

You might get free upgrades, on board credit, wine, hotel stays, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
Never book a guarentee unless you would be happy with any cabin in the category you are booking and in every higher category. Sometimes, people so very well with cabin assignments from a guarentee. Other times, people get the worst possible cabin. You should prepare for the worst cabin and be pleasantly surprised with anything else.

Paul is absolutely right. If it's the hip as your destination then go ahead and book the cabin you really want. If cabin is not important just pick a category and book the guarantee.

I have done it both ways and sometimes the guarantee cabin was a better than expected. deal. Sometimes I just need a "cruise fix and go for the Guarantee.

~Doris~

Archived