AYW dining - our experience

NelleS

DH & I just got off the Zuiderdam. Not by choice, we had AYW/anytime dining. Since I'm a belt-and-suspenders type of gal, I was concerned that we'd encounter problems.

WRONG!

It turned out so well. When we got on board and went to the Lido, there was a dining reservation kiosk. I told the gentleman (his name's Tri, the other gentleman's name is Mohammed) that I wanted a table for 2. There weren't a lot of times available, so we chose 5:30. We didn't make any additional reservations because we we eating at the Pinnacle the next night.

As it turned out, the first night, we really enjoyed our waiter, Tarsono, his assistant, Andi, and the wine steward, Digz. So when we made our next MDR reservation, we asked to be in the same area/station. Tri and Mohammed set it up so every night we went to the MDR, we had the same table. We ate at 5:30, but that was fine with us.

You may not want to eat at the same time & table every night, but for those of you who do, just ask. Most likely, you will be accommodated.

Although we have sailed HAL five times, we shall be using HAL's AYW/Anytime Dining for the first time on the Noordam in January. We have used this type of dining on RCCL, Princess, and Celebrity and have become converts. I am glad that you had a positive experience.

make reservations for AYW/Anytime dining the day before or in the morning. With a reservation you are seated faster. Without a reservation, the wait seems to be long, especially at the peak dining hour. At least this has been our experience. :)

For what it is worth, on our Alaska cruise last May, we didn't make any reservations for AYW dining and were always seated very promptly. Only once did we wait and that was only for about 10 minutes.

P.S. I know someone will state that the entire dining program on HAL is "As You Wish;" however, I respectfully disagree. According to a recent HAL brochure that I received, they state, "Choose traditional fixed-dining or 'as you wish dining'" implying that the anytime dining is referred to as "as you wish dining."

P.S. I know someone will state that the entire dining program on HAL is "As You Wish;" however, I respectfully disagree. According to a recent HAL brochure that I received, they state, "Choose traditional fixed-dining or 'as you wish dining'" implying that the anytime dining is referred to as "as you wish dining."

One typo perhaps. It is well explained on the website.

As it turned out, the first night, we really enjoyed our waiter, Tarsono, his assistant, Andi, and the wine steward, Digz. So when we made our next MDR reservation, we asked to be in the same area/station. Tri and Mohammed set it up so every night we went to the MDR, we had the same table.

Digz was one of our favorite wine stewards EVER! I'm happy to know where he is now, and that you enjoyed him.

We, too, like to pick our table for the cruise after a favorable experience in the anytime dining room.

We were on the Noordam in Jan. of this year and had ATD, we had no problem getting a table for two as long as we called in advance. The only problem was the tables for two were located next to a busy isle, next to a very noisy serving station, or in an location where the tables were jammed together.

We are totally hooked on AYW dining (and similar schemes on other cruise lines) because it gives us lots of flexibility. We always ask to share large tables and get to meet many nice folks...and sometimes will end-up forming our own dinner groups. We have an upcoming Grand Cruise on the Prinsendam...and for some strange reason HA does not allow AWY dining on their Grand Cruises. So now we will probably have to dine with the same folks for about 9 weeks and we are not happy about this policy. Even if you get a good table....a little variety is nice to make the dinner conversation more interesting.

Hank

We tried open seating once a few years ago on Celebrity and it was awful...new at that time for that ship. So we went back to fixed.

We're trying Anytime Dining on the Oosterdam in Feb, first time to switch from fixed on HAL, so I also appreciated your comments. I'm looking forward to it.

On our last, 21 day cruise, we lucked out and our fixed table mates were great. But it would have been nice to mix it up more. We were the only ones who tried alternate venues like Canaletto. It got a little boring eventually to see them every single night for three weeks to be honest.

For what it is worth, on our Alaska cruise last May, we didn't make any reservations for AYW dining and were always seated very promptly. Only once did we wait and that was only for about 10 minutes.

Well, I do believe that, "originally", HAL referred to "As You Wish Dining", as "Open Dining"! ;) Is that term still in effect? :confused:

[/size][/u][/b]

Well, I do believe that, "originally", HAL referred to "As You Wish Dining", as "Open Dining"! ;) Is that term still in effect? :confused:

From the HAL website:

As You Wish
® dining on all cruises

From a festive five-course affair to a quick, casual dinner for two, our As You Wish® dining lets you choose the venues and style that suit you.

The elegant main Dining Room

• Luxurious Dining Room, graced with fine art and antiques

• Sophisticated Rosenthal china and crisp white table linens

• Five-course menus with offerings from classic preparations regionally inspired cuisine to vegetarian options

• Your choice of traditional pre-set seating and dining times or a flexible open schedule

The Pinnacle Grill experience

• Intimate dining featuring Sterling Silver Beef® and fresh seafood

• Luxurious appointments including Bvlgari® china, Riedel® stemware and Frette® linens

• Extensive wine list featuring many selections rated “Excellent” by Wine Spectator

• Featuring "
    "

Other delightful ways to dine

• Fresh, cooked-to-order specialties in the Lido Restaurant for breakfast and lunch

• Made-to-order dinner entrees and tableside waiter service in the Lido Restaurant for dinner

• Complimentary 24-hour in-room dining

• The Terrace Grill on deck

• Late-night snack; Chocolate Dessert Extravaganza

• Explorations Café featuring pastries and espresso drinks

• , elevated to
    once per cruise

[/size][/u][/b]

It's possible that the marketing side of HAL is equally confused as some of us CCers or that they're changing their reference to the program. However, as Peter pointed out, the website suggest differently.

Here's the exact quote from HAL Values brochure I received in the mail: "Dine 'As You Wish" o choose a traditional preset seating in the main dining room."

Archived