Alaska Cruise

room with a view

Best in what sense? Fares? May and September. Weather? Middle June to middle July, although good weather can start a little earlier and last into middle August.

The Alaska season is only mid May to mid September, so there is only so much time to go. We have gone in May, June, August and September. All have been great cruises.

When is the best time of the year to take a 7 nights Alaska Cruise and combine it with a Rocky Mountaineer and Land Tour?

For the land tour, it depends on what you most want to see. Wildlife, snow, colourful lakes.

In May to mid-June, the snow is still close to the roadside in parts of the Rockies, and the bears are just waking up. The animals are attracted to the roadside for the salt (from winter maintenance), and the blossoms and vegetation that grow as the snow melts. The tradeoff for this is that the lakes are still frozen, meaning that those beautiful lake pictures have white, instead of the postcard blue/green.

By mid-June the lakes have thawed, bringing colour to the lakes, but the animals start to go to higher elevations to follow the emerging wildflowers and berries.

The daylight lasts longest mid June, and days start to get shorter from there. Longer daylight allows you to pack more sightseeing in to each day. Wildlife is often seen at dawn and dusk, preferring to feed during cooler times.

July has spectacular colour of the lakes, lots of daylight, and some of the warmest weather. Pricing for July is higher as you are competing with families with school-aged children for hotel rooms and attractions.

Mid to late August is when autumn starts to set in the higher elevations. The wildlife engage in mating behaviour, come closer to the roads as the vegetation has grown back from their earlier spring feasting.

Waiting until September ensures that most of the children are back in school, and the lakes are still showing their colours.

To experience snow falling, May and September are your best chances, though it has been known to snow at Lake Louise during any of the summer months.

Cruising in May could mean the first or second visit to the ports by the cruise ship. Shore shops and guides MAY be inexperienced, though there are some that do return year to year. Alternatively, cruising in September could mean the last few cruises of the season, and burn-out or early closing can affect the quality of service received. September can mean great end-of season sales in the gift shops.

Given these parameters, you might realize why there is different pricing throughout the season.

There really isn't a bad time to do this tour.

Neither pictures nor words can truly describe the things you will see and experience on such a tour. Have a wonderful time.

Thanks every one for your help. We are planning our first Alaska cruise - and your help is much appreciated.

We were looking at the best month to go (it will probably be the end of June) - but it looks like we have left it too late for 2012.

We will probably look at a package with BA or air Canada from London - so it will be an afternoon spent looking at brochures !!!!!!!!:)

Thanks every one for your help. We are planning our first Alaska cruise - and your help is much appreciated.

We were looking at the best month to go (it will probably be the end of June) - but it looks like we have left it too late for 2012.

We will probably look at a package with BA or air Canada from London - so it will be an afternoon spent looking at brochures !!!!!!!!:)

Shouldn't really be too late for June 2012, unless those package through the airlines are selling out fast. You might want to price air and tour individually, just to compare. We did the Alaska cruise a few years ago around the beginning of June, on the Westerdam. Had fabulous weather. Was so warm in Sitka that we wore short sleeved t-shirts and wished we had put on shorts! Other friends went in August and said the same thing but for their whole cruise. So you just never know. Best of luck!

I agree with the previous poster that it shouldn't be too late for June/12.

One suggestion that I have for you is to try the Rocky Mountaineer website. They had (don't know if they still have it) a package that includes the train and Alaska cruise. Perhaps, if you can book through them, you can get the timing that you want. I have no idea whether or not it costs more to book through them then your own TA but it couldn't hurt to price it out. The website is www.rockymountaineer.com.

Another suggestion is to book the Gold Leaf service level for the train. I have not done this trip yet but I'm told that Gold Leaf is the only way to go!!!!

I hope you enjoy your trip to Western Canada and Alaska. It is quite spectacular!!!!

I agree with the previous poster that it shouldn't be too late for June/12.

One suggestion that I have for you is to try the Rocky Mountaineer website. They had (don't know if they still have it) a package that includes the train and Alaska cruise. Perhaps, if you can book through them, you can get the timing that you want. I have no idea whether or not it costs more to book through them then your own TA but it couldn't hurt to price it out. The website is www.rockymountaineer.com.

Another suggestion is to book the Gold Leaf service level for the train. I have not done this trip yet but I'm told that Gold Leaf is the only way to go!!!!

I hope you enjoy your trip to Western Canada and Alaska. It is quite spectacular!!!!

Definately! :) Although I have not, as yet, done the Rocky Mountaineer, two of the differences between the Red Leaf and Gold Leaf (service), is that with the Red Leaf you will "dine" on your lap at your seat on the train, whereas with the Gold Leaf, you will dine in a dining car as well as have exclusive access to the upper level of the "dome" car, for exceptional viewing & picture taking, at the end of the train! :):D

Just to expand on my previous post about the train and cruise, the Rocky Mountaineer still offers the combination package. On the website, www.rockymountaineer.com, select Routes & Packages and then select Canadian Rocky Mountain Routes, on the right hand side of the screen. Under that, choose Rail & Cruise. There are several choices!

There are plenty of companies that combine the Canadian Rockies with Alaskan cruises. Some use the Volendam, others use the Zuiderdam. Some tours use sailings out of Seattle (Vancouver provides a prettier cruise). There are also combinations that use the one-way cruises to Skagway or Seward, and do a land tour in Alaska as well. (Even non-HAL ships have Rockies/train tours).

Lots of availability still left in 2012. If you can't find a tour that suits your time and budget, a good travel agent should be able to.

Definately! :) Although I have not, as yet, done the Rocky Mountaineer, two of the differences between the Red Leaf and Gold Leaf (service), is that with the Red Leaf you will "dine" on your lap at your seat on the train, whereas with the Gold Leaf, you will dine in a dining car as well as have exclusive access to the upper level of the "dome" car, for exceptional viewing & picture taking, at the end of the train! :):D

Better to hear from someone that has travelled on the Rocky Mountaineer (both Goldleaf and Redleaf, as well as Via Rail).

In Redleaf, dining consists of chilled meals, served to the table at your seat (not in your lap) The table is similar to airline style. There is an open air vestibule (the top half of the door being open between waist and chest height) to allow photos.

Goldleaf carriages are two levels, with the upper level being seating, and the lower level consisting of a galley, souvenir area, washrooms, dining area for 1/2 the guests (there are 2 seatings), and open air vestibule for taking photos. Meals are prepared to order. The vestibule for Goldleaf is much larger than in Redleaf, depending on the actual dome carriage assigned.

The poster above seems to be confusing Rocky Mountaineer with Via Rail, which has dining carriages, and a dome car at the end of the train (The Park car). All Goldleaf carriages are domed, whereas the Via train has only one or two, depending on the consist. All guests on VIA have access to a dome car, only the sleeping class guests have access to the Park car at the end of the train.

The Goldleaf carriages are often in the middle of the train consist. Guests are not permitted to walk between train classes (i.e. a Goldleaf guest cannot visit a Redleaf carriage).

Goldleaf is a significant cost increase over Redleaf. There is a new option this year which is called Silverleaf. The upgrade price is about half of the Goldleaf upgrade. (Silverleaf is only available between Banff and Vancouver, The Jasper-Vancouver route has only Gold/Red).

The Silverleaf service is a single level carriage with a glass dome. The Silverleaf vestibule is similar to the one in Redleaf. Meals are served at the table in your seat.The meals served in Silverleaf are hot.

Hello all Experienced Travellers

When is the best time of the year to take a 7 nights Alaska Cruise and combine it with a Rocky Mountaineer and Land Tour?

The ship as part of the tour is the Voledam ..... any advice on the best deck/cabin grade /balcony ....... thank you for your help.:)

"best" is subjective - here is what I found specific to the Skagway portion of the cruise - but it may apply to the rest...

May: There is still snow in White's Pass, but not on the road! You'll see Alaska as the year round residents do during much of the year, covered in white. But, you won't see the emerald colors of Emerald Lake, as it will be frozen till mid-May. You won't be able to access "Backroads with Becky" due to the snow, but if a tour on the Klondike Hwy. suits your fancy, you'll enjoy your day. We enjoy some warm weather in May, but it can be stormy too! Bring layers. A shirt, fleece and waterproof jacket work great. Gloves and a warm hat are a good idea in May also. Wild Dyea Iris's are blooming, if you would like to drive with me to Dyea for 2 or 3 hours.

June: The snow is mostly melted except on the slopes of the surrounding peaks. Bugs are hatching out this month, but they don't get too bad. Remember though, I grew up in Fairbanks, so "not too bad" to me might be bad for you! Bring some bug dope just in case. Temperatures can fluctuate; again, bring layers. Last summer, our June was sunny, while our July was cloudy, but that does not occur every summer. Brilliant blue Lupines line the Klondike Hwy and black bears often dine on brilliant yellow Dandelions along the roads edge.

July: Warmer temps, but as I just mentioned, our June was warmer than July was, last summer. The mosquitoes leave us, but the gnats replace them! Still, I don't think they are bothersome. Fireweed bloom profusely along the Klondike Hwy and the black bears are still coming out to dine on the Dandy's.

August: This summer, in August, 2010, we had some 80 degree days. We used the air-conditioning in the bus, it was so warm. But, you can't count on those temperatures, so come prepared and bring your layers. No need for gloves or hats this month. The salmon start running. Grizzly bears come to Dyea to feed on them during the latter part of this month.

September: Our best Fall colors in the Yukon are during this month. Those Aspen Trees Golds are brilliant to behold! Temps are cooling down some, of course, but the bugs are gone. Our first snow in the Pass comes just at the end of September, normally as the last cruise ship of the season departs.

FWIW, we chose early June...

• 2 weeks later...

We are looking at a Land Tour/Rocky Mountaineer/Alaska Cruise and there are so many options. :confused:

One option is the Rocky Mountaineer tour from Banff - Kamloops - Vancouver.

Another is Rocky Mountaineer Jasper - Kamloops - Vancouver.

As this is a trip of a lifetime, we want to get it right. Any advice on which one to choose ?

We are probably looking at the first two weeks in June.

Thanks for your advice.:)

We are looking at a Land Tour/Rocky Mountaineer/Alaska Cruise and there are so many options. :confused:

One option is the Rocky Mountaineer tour from Banff - Kamloops - Vancouver.

Another is Rocky Mountaineer Jasper - Kamloops - Vancouver.

As this is a trip of a lifetime, we want to get it right. Any advice on which one to choose ?

We are probably looking at the first two weeks in June.

Thanks for your advice.:)

Here's some advice you WILL need for early June. Bring some warm clothes for the evenings you spend in the mountains. It would SUCK to be in Jasper or Banff for your one and only time, and be too cold to enjoy it. It gets darn chilly in the evenings in the Cdn Rockies so make sure your "Alaska" jacket is accessible. :)

Have not done the train trip, but HAVE done the drive numerous times -- either route will give you eyepopping scenery.

Jasper is much less touristy than Banff. Banff is more or less the iconic image of the Rockies. There is more shopping available right in Banff townsite. Overall (and some will disagree with me on this) there are many more good restaurants in Banff.

It sounds as though I am suggesting Banff over Jasper, and I'm truly not -- there are just differences you need to be aware of.

It all depends on what you already know about the Canadian Rockies, I think. If you want to see the route of the original trans Canada railway, then go from Banff. This route will take you through the Spiral Tunnel which is really cool to see from the highway when a train is going through (not sure what it would be like from the train), and through Craigellachie where the Last Spike linking the east track to the west track was driven, in 1885.

As Cow Princess said, the Banff area provides you with the scenery that you are most likely aware of. If this is why you want to see the Canadian Rockies and want to see those vistas in person, then start in Banff.

However, there are other options but they will depend on the amount of time you have and, of course, finances. Rocky Mountaineer does a Sea to Summit Glacier Circle Tour. According to the RM brochure I have in front of me (because I'm also looking at doing a rail tour), you could fly into Vancouver, spend a couple of days in Victoria and Vancouver, then take the train to Banff, see Lake Louise, go to Jasper (I believe Banff/Lake Louise to Jasper is done by coach, not the train), then take the train back to Vancouver via Quesnel, and Whistler. Then you do the cruise on the Zuiderdam and fly back to the UK at the end of the cruise.

Alternatively, you could fly into Calgary (or Vancouver, depending on the rest of your itinerary), book one way passage on the train to Vancouver, do your cruise, and then book another one way passage back to Calgary, going the southern route in one direction and the northern route in the other direction.

You mentioned that you are also doing a Land Tour - could you give us some details about that? Which cruise are you doing? A one way - north or south bound? Or a round trip out of Vancouver or Seattle?

Whatever choice you make, you will have a marvellous time!

This sounds like a wonderful trip. I hope it works out well for you. We have enjoyed our Alaskan cruises in all kinds of weather. I hope you will have a balcony. It is a wonderful way to view Alaska. We drove through the Rockies from Banff to Seattle last year. Even in the rain it was gorgeous. BTW It was a beautiful, warm sunny day in Seattle.

We are looking to do a package - flight/landtour/Rocky Mountaineer/HAL cruise from London. Have not done this before - so it's a new experience.

We have looked at Virgin Holidays , starting in Calgary then to Banff National Park , gondola etc then to Yoho National Park , Lake Louise overnight at the Fairmont Chateau. Lake Louise to Jasper , Columbia Icefield. Jasper - Kamloops - Vancouver on Rocky Mountaineer then HAL cruise for 7 days.

Another company ( Cosmos) do a tour that takes in Niagara Falls then the VIA RAIL Train to Jasper, coach to Banff then Rock Mountaineer to Kamloops - Vancouver - HAL 7 day cruise .

On the RM we want to see scenery not tunnels - so maybe the Virgin tour would be better ?????

We are in our 60s so would prefer to do a package - we like to go independent when visiting Europe - this holiday will be a whole new ball game for us !!!!

Another company ( Cosmos) do a tour that takes in Niagara Falls then the VIA RAIL Train to Jasper, coach to Banff then Rock Mountaineer to Kamloops - Vancouver - HAL 7 day cruise .

I would vote for the Virgin Tour since the above tour with Niagara Falls will involve a LONG time on the Via rail train to Jasper. Don't get me wrong, I love Niagara Falls, have been there more times than I can count and take everyone that visits from Europe to see it BUT we are only 5 hours by car and it can be a day trip if we want. I wouldn't tack it onto a west coast trip. the distances are just too great.

The Rockies and Alaska will blow you away and, much as I love it, Niagara Falls will seem second place so save yourself some travel aggravation on this trip.

I would also recommend not doing Niagara Falls on this trip because the train ride from Niagara to Jasper would take four or so days across mostly prairies. Not much scenery to see unless you like looking at fields of wheat and other grains!

The Virgin tour sounds good; you would certainly see quite a bit of scenery. Definitely go to the Columbia Icefields, Lake Louise and Jasper.

Personally, I would still take the RM from Banff over Jasper. When I referred to the Spiral Tunnels, it's not like you'll be in the tunnel for very long. I can't see it taking more than half an hour based on viewing the trains going through the one tunnel. It's one of those engineering feats, not on par with the Panama Canal or the narrow gauge railway in Skagway but a feat nonetheless. You go through the first tunnel for about 900 metres coming out 15 metres higher than you started, and then you go through the second one for about 1000 metres, coming out 17 metres higher to the top of the Kicking Horse Pass. Check out this link:

Here is a link for our National Parks which may further assist you:

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/progs/pn-np/index.aspx

On the left hand side, under Find a National Park, choose, one at a time, Banff National Park, Jasper National Park and Yoho National Park. You'll also go through Glacier and Mount Revelstoke National Parks if you go the southern route from Banff. These information for these parks should assist you in deciding whether to go from Banff or Jasper.

I don't think you'll be disappointed which ever starting point you choose for the RM.

Joining Volendam in Sydney Australia for transpac to Vancouver & 1st Inside Passage cruise back to Vancouver. Total 30 days.

Then 3 nights in Vancouver before joining Globus 11 night Spirit of the Rockies tour with 2 days on Rocky Mountaineer to Banff.

End tour in Victoria - then 2 more nights before we fly back to Brisbane with Air NZ.

Booked all parts separatly at I believe lower cost.

Would any Canadians know if the dispute between the Teamsters & Rocky Mountaineer has been settled. Seems the service onboard was not good in 2011 after they locked out the train staff.

I should have said that the HAL cruise is from Vancouver back to Vancouver - that's the easy part.

The parts that need further consideration are the 2 days on Rocky Mountaineer either from Banff or Jasper, and which tour packs in more.

Both options have the HAL cruise .

thanks

Check the links that Alberta Quilter provided. Also look at the flights to your starting point..... does one tour start in Edmonton and the other in Calgary? You may find one or the other of the two cities more appealing, or may find a flight to one that has significant advantages.

As I tried to explain previously, there is no true "one and only" answer -- Jasper and Banff both have charm :) If one of the tours takes you to Lake Louise and the other doesn't, I personally would take the one that takes you to Lake Louise. BUT if one gets you a chance to visit the Columbia Icefields and the other doesn't, then go to the Columbia Icefields.

You cannot do both, so you need to recognize you will miss "something" -- just like your trip to Alaska. You aren't going to see everything Alaska has to offer, either.

Either tour is a good one -- you won't be disappointed. Until you have seen the vastness and magnificence of the Rockies, you can't understand. Just being in the Rockies WILL be a highlight, whether you go to Banff or Jasper. Either one is a good one :) Not often do you get to say that about choices ;)

Thanks everyone for your valuable information - without your advice and

website details our planning would have been a lot more difficult- and

we could have been on a loooooooong train ride from Toronto.:eek:

I'll post when we have our intinerary finalised.

Now,on the Zuiderdam do we choose a cabin VD or VF on the Verendah deck ?

Thanks again - you have been brilliant :)

Archived