Maasdam Lost Engine Update

Su&Andy

We were already one hour late leaving San Juan due to a missing passenger, at that time the Captain announced that we were having engine problems and may be two hours late in Norfolk depending upon the weather.

We received a letter under our door from the Captain at 11 PM including these statements: current estimated time of arrival into Norfolk is scheduled to be 3:30 pm on Sunday . . . vessel operating on four engines as opposed to five . . . we do allow a complimentary phone call to advise of your delayed arrival . . . complimentary cocktails tomorrow from 3 to 5 pm in public lounges along with our apologies for this unfortunate delay . . .Holland America will refund any airline change charges.

A few minutes ago at breakfast, the Captain explained that a crank shaft pin bearing failed and subsequently caused damage to the crank shaft. After much consultation with engineers and VPs in Seattle it was decided not to attempt to start 5th engine generator.

So, we will be sailing a bit longer on the beautiful and elegant Maasdam, but regret that you all are on the other end must endure this unfortunate turn of events. Will try to give more updates, but our alloted internet minutes are running out.

Oh boy, but at least it sounds, on your end anyways, that HAL is being fair with the reimbursements of airline change charges. We saw the Maasdam in a few ports while I was on the Volendam, she still looks to be a beautiful ship from the outside, but perhaps is in need of some desperate repair on the inside.

Have a safe trip home and thanks for the update.

While there will be hassle getting air arrangements rebooked, I applaud HAL for stating upfront that they will reimburse the ticket change fee. Ships, like cars, are complex mechanical devices subject to wear and part failure. I hope all goes well for you during the remainder of your cruise.

I have spoken to my TA (who has spoken to Seattle, hearing "we just got up an don't know anything yet") and she tells me that a late arrival into Norfolk will have little or no impact on our departure schedule. How is that possible? Surely it takes several hours to unload 1266 people and load 1266 new pax, and I would expect that they would try to fix the engine while in port. Will they just take us back out with four engines, and blow off HMC? I'm not sure I can handle 11 days without a port stop, and I am already agitated making lunch and dinner plans for Sunday - onshore. I would very much appreciate some insight from experienced cruisers, as I understand this has happened several times before. <<insert your personal flame about the condition of the Maasdam here>> Thanks!

-Operator

I don't believe that failure of a cranshft bearing pin is indicative of a ship needing more attention to interior fittings.

It is mechanical, and things mechanical, even when excellently maintained, do

fail.

Sounds like the same kind of problems we encountered on our December 11 cruise - we did not get in until 4:00p or so on our day of arrival. Perhaps they should not wait until next January to dry dock Maasdam.

As for debarkation - it seemed like it was no more than 30 minutes after the ship was docked that our group was called to disembark; and our luggage was ready and waiting for us dockside. I don't know how they did it, but we were glad to be on the road by 5:00p or so, having picked up our vehicle from the parking structure near the Sheraton.

Maybe they will ask passengers to vacate their staterooms while on board, serve them the free cocktails, and arrive in Norfolk with the rooms already clean?

I would think a plan is in place for this sort of occurrence.

beth

I don't believe that failure of a cranshft bearing pin is indicative of a ship needing more attention to interior fittings.

It is mechanical, and things mechanical, even when excellently maintained, do

fail.

I am making no comment on the interior fittings (I can't - I've never been on the ship), but I do think it is fair to call into question the maintenance and condition of any mechanical device that repeatedly fails. If my car's engine stops running once a month, I have it replaced; I don't just keep taking it into the shop.

Sorry to go off topic, but like they say in law school, "If someone calls you an *** and you don't object, you are an ***".

-Operator

While I never made it to Maasdam's engineering spaces, revenue producing vessels are usually "well tended".

The problem, IMO, is that small engine problems have a large impact when the slack in the schedule is just not there. Maasdam could probably toodle (a technical maritime engineering term) around the Caribbean from FL continuously with one engine offline. The transit from Norfolk to there (and return) requires a more robust velocity to keep to schedule, with the corresponding high engine load.

Would hate to lose the option of being able to cruise from here (as, I am sure, would several thousand others) but I would bet HAL is rethinking "this ship - this itinerary".

Cheers

MarkB

They won't be able to win for losing.

If they were to go to drydock sooner than scheduled, what about all the unhappy passengers whose cruises would be cancelled? We'd be commenting here how horrible it was of HAL to simply cancel them out.

I am sure if there was any safety risk, they would deal with it immediately. If it is something that can be repaired, it will be. If they have to cancel ports, they will. We all know the possibility of that happening on any ship, any time.

They told me that the Maasdam will not be boarding on Sunday until 7:00pm, so that we need to make plans for lunch on-shore. They think there will be a "late dinner" available, but I imagine it won't be in the dining room (can't put everyone in there at once). My TA says they may board as early as 3:30, but that we won't know until Sunday. I'll also hazard a guess that we'll miss HMC (or at least have an abbreviated visit).

I was also disappointed to learn that HAL considers this an "itinerary change" and thus not compensable to the pax. Is that normal in the cruise business? It seems extremely unfair, as we will miss most of our entire first day standing around Norfolk in the cold, waiting for the boarding call. When I should be onboard enjoying a cocktail, I will be sitting in my hotel (unless the Chrysler museum is open Sundays...). Shouldn't this sort of mess lead to some shipboard credit?

Thanks in advance for your opinions and feedback.

-Operator

that the part(s) are waiting and the repair is made promptly. Sorry that you are stressed before you start your cruise, but at least you are aware that there is a problem. Many people will show up at the pier early and will not know what is going on.

Hope your cruise will be fantastic and that it is perfect after you get on board:)

I've never heard of boarding times being guaranteed. I agree with S7S that while it might seem logical to think they should go ahead and drydock to take care of this issue, doing so would cost them a small fortune and inconvenience a much greater number of pax than making some shifts in the itinerary.

A few minutes ago at breakfast, the Captain explained that a crank shaft pin bearing failed and subsequently caused damage to the crank shaft. After much consultation with engineers and VPs in Seattle it was decided not to attempt to start 5th engine generator.

The Maasdam's propulsion system is Diesel Electric: they use diesel fuel generators to produce power to run the ship's twin screws. In order to produce enough electricity to spin the screw-shafts fast enough to maintain 22 knots they clearly need to have all 5 diesel generators running while also providing power for all on-board systems (AC, lights, hair-dryers, etc). With 4 generators they must be able to maintain only about 15-16 knots.

I wonder if swapping out a generator (or major parts of a generator) is a job that can be done in-transit ... i.e., can HAL put a team aboard that will dismantle at least part of a generator and remove it and then install a new one, piece by piece, while the ship is underway. Given the damage she's suffered, perhaps only replacement of the effected crank shaft pin, and its bearings, would be sufficient?

One thing ... the Maasdam is scheduled to make the North-Atlantic Crossing (round trip) this year. I wouldn't want to try that on only 4 generators. So, HAL must have a plan in place to repair that 5th generator and get it back up and running while not canceling a cruise.

While I never made it to Maasdam's engineering spaces, revenue producing vessels are usually "well tended".

The problem, IMO, is that small engine problems have a large impact when the slack in the schedule is just not there. Maasdam could probably toodle (a technical maritime engineering term) around the Caribbean from FL continuously with one engine offline. The transit from Norfolk to there (and return) requires a more robust velocity to keep to schedule, with the corresponding high engine load.

Would hate to lose the option of being able to cruise from here (as, I am sure, would several thousand others) but I would bet HAL is rethinking "this ship - this itinerary".

Cheers

MarkB

I am very worried about sailing on the Maasdam for the 35-day North Atlantic cruise to Europe this summer with all the mechanical problems she has been having...just getting to/from Norfolk. Seas in the No.Atlantic can be pretty rough and it would seem to me that HAL should cancel a few of the NE/Canada cruises (or at least one) and overhall her engines before this summer cruise. I am willing to bet we will miss several ports because of engine problems! HAL PLEASE TAKE NOTE!!

I agree, Liz. I, too, am worried about how our cruise will go. If we were to have seas such as we did two years ago coming out of Nuuk I would want my ship to be in tip-top condition.

With our final payment coming up in just over a week do you suppose there's a Divine message for us somewhere in here?

I am very worried about sailing on the Maasdam for the 35-day North Atlantic cruise to Europe this summer with all the mechanical problems she has been having...just getting to/from Norfolk. Seas in the No.Atlantic can be pretty rough and it would seem to me that HAL should cancel a few of the NE/Canada cruises (or at least one) and overhall her engines before this summer cruise. I am willing to bet we will miss several ports because of engine problems! HAL PLEASE TAKE NOTE!!

As you do not want your cruise to be inconvenienced or delayed or Cancelled.....neither do we. :(

We are scheduled for two of those Canada/New England cruises you want them to cancel. Obviously, we don't want our cruise(s) cancelled.

I don't know if it is quite as simple as all that. Her scheduled dry dock has to have been set up some time ago. Who knows what earlier dates are available? Parts needed for the scheduled work need to be on site. Who knows if they have even yet been ordered for the previously scheduled work....not to mention whatever parts they need for this engine problem.

On the other hand, for all I know, maybe it is entirely possible for them to pull her from service immediately and head to drydock. I imagine all options are being considered?

The Maasdam's propulsion system is Diesel Electric: they use diesel fuel generators to produce power to run the ship's twin screws. In order to produce enough electricity to spin the screw-shafts fast enough to maintain 22 knots they clearly need to have all 5 diesel generators running while also providing power for all on-board systems (AC, lights, hair-dryers, etc). With 4 generators they must be able to maintain only about 15-16 knots.

I wonder if swapping out a generator (or major parts of a generator) is a job that can be done in-transit ... i.e., can HAL put a team aboard that will dismantle at least part of a generator and remove it and then install a new one, piece by piece, while the ship is underway. Given the damage she's suffered, perhaps only replacement of the effected crank shaft pin, and its bearings, would be sufficient?

One thing ... the Maasdam is scheduled to make the North-Atlantic Crossing (round trip) this year. I wouldn't want to try that on only 4 generators. So, HAL must have a plan in place to repair that 5th generator and get it back up and running while not canceling a cruise.

My memory may be totally wrong, but I remember hearing from an Engineering or Bridge Officer on a HAL cruise that it is normal for the ships to operate on only 4 of the 5 engines and that it is routine for one engine to be out of service and being repaired or receiving routine maintanence while underway. If the decision was made to not start engine #5, then the ship is operating with only 3 engines.

Or, am I missing something here?

We were allowed to stay in our cabins until at least mid-afternoon when our return was delayed. I can't remember for sure, but I think we vacated our cabin around 2:00p to give the crew a chance to clean the cabins for the outgoing cruise.

Well.......

I just called HAL Corporate offices and they say that the Sundays Cruise is still on. They had some technical difficulties, but they don't think it will affect our cruise at all. The rep said that we will be boarding in the evening now, but we will be able to catch up and not have any issues with time. She said unless something happens where it is unsafe to go to a port we should be able to stay on time. So don't fret, I was! I am flying out at 6am tomorrow to arrive a day early, and I was worried I'd not have a cruise. They seem to feel it is no big deal, just a slight delay.

MHO

Not the whole generator, but parts certainly; even major parts.

Drydocking a vessel is rarely necessary for engine work.

I am willing to bet, seconding rkacruisers post, that there is a whole passel of ships floating around the ocean with only 3- or 4 of five engines running. Engines are routinely taken off-line for maintenance.

Again, it seems to be primarily a function of 'slack' in this ininerary (lack thereof) that allows these problems to be visible.

Well the good news is the problem is inside the ship and not on a Pod. If you have Pod problems the only way to fix them is with drydock. A lot of the onboard ship engine problems can be fix while at sea.

The other thing, is the part that is bad, may have to be shipped in because it is not stocked on the ship.

Archived