***Live from the Legend Athens-Mumbai***

Seabourntraveller

seabourntraveller, please dont get me wrong, I am in no way suggesting that you are embellishing anything, but now you are saying you didnt repoprt HALF of what has gone on, on the ship. This worries me even more. Now there is Gay Bashing and drunken German passengers, plus a lot more you havent told us about! This is what worries me and would be my reason for not booking Seabourn. I know you have always said how good the staff are, and how good the food is, well most of the time, but it is the other people who apparently cruise on Seabourn who would be a problem for me. Anyway enjoy the rest of your few days there and I hope the passengers start behaving more in the manner you would expect on any luxury cruise.

Diaw - IMHO for what it's worth I think Seabourntraveller is extremely astute and has noticed things going on that the "normal" guest may not even have heard about! And of course, remember too in our thirst for more information on the goings on, Seabourntraveller has also sought out information and stories that would otherwise have not been reported. I worked in an environment which was guest-focused and even though I have been away from that industry for several years now, I still notice things going on that my DH, bless him, would not. And believe you me life in an hotel can be very interesting I can tell you. People, out of their normal environment do the most unbelievably daft, inconsiderate and "shake your head" kind of stuff! Life is what it is, it's not the ship or the crew, it's inconsiderate other people and sadly for the majority they do tend to turn up everywhere! We sailed on the beautiful Quest on her maiden TA as Seabourn newbies and yes there are a few tales we could tell, but hey this is what happens when you put people together for a short period of time - it's a village and we all know what village life is like! People are also entitled to have a good time whilst they are on holiday spending their hard earned money and sometimes they may have a drink too many and so be it. To put it all into perspective, read some of the other posts on CC regarding some of the more mass market ships and some of the IMHO absolutely ridiculous questions and discussion topics.

Anyway I for one, and there are many others who have contributed to this thread, and hundreds more who simply "lurk" with a cup of coffee and enjoy reading, who have thoroughly enjoyed it despite all of it's ups and downs and tales of woe and much head-bashing, because there have been many wonderful reports on trips and places where I have never been and now so want to visit because Seabourntraveller has brought them, for me anyway, to life! And I got the recipe for those wonderful Seabourn breadsticks, and made them albeit they weren't quite so delicious as the SB ones! LOL! And Miss M has kept us amused with her "Salty tales", Jane BP with her wonderful one liners, Host Dan keeping us right and many others who are so much more representative of the decent, down-to-earth, respectful and simply lovely people you will meet on Seabourn.

So book your Seabourn cruise and enjoy, and come back and tell us all about it please! :)

Oh and by the way, totally off-topic there's a wonderful series on BBC Four right now on Liners, History, building of etc but I think overseas people can get it on youtube for a short time. :)

Further Further Update; At Sea Enroute to Penang, Malaysia

Went up at 4:40pm to Afternoon Tea in the hopes of scoring some more GrandMa cake. Not only that there wasn't any GrandMa cake but the place had not one empty seat in the house:confused:. The rains had just hit 5 minutes earlier and everyone decided to come and take over the Midnight Sun Lounge! I decided instead to sip on a cappuccino since it was "standing room only"

We have just left Phuket, Thailand under some showers and rainfall approx. 30 minutes ago...there goes our 42 day winning streak of consecutive days of sunshine. We are currently travelling at 12 knots and will be entering into the Straight of Malacca, infamously known for there pirates "shopping" or comendereing ships to come onboard and take peoples cash, watches and other valuables and then leave...no ship ransome like in "pirate alley" off of Somalia....a completely different MO over in this part of the world....now wouldn't that be exciting and the icing on the cake to this 42 day epic?...LOL

Plenty going on this evening onboard our "Floating Castle" the Legend;

6:30pm Cocktails in the Club with "Claudia & Oliver"

6:45pm Captains Gala Farewell Party has been CANCELED in the King Olav Lounge and put over until our last sea day as per Rachel's annoucement after sailing.

9:30pm After dinner in the Club with "Claudia & Oliver"

9:45pm Adam Green in the Midnight Sun Lounge

9:45pm SHOWTIME: "Simeon Wood" in the King Olav Lounge

More to come later today from the Legend currrently in the Straight of Malacca enroute to Penang, Malaysia.

seabourntraveller, please dont get me wrong, I am in no way suggesting that you are embellishing anything, but now you are saying you didnt repoprt HALF of what has gone on, on the ship. This worries me even more.

DIAW IMO seabournetraveller loves to embellish and make much ado about many topics. You just need to see almost any of his posts on other topics to see what I mean he appears to like to be quite controversial. Just look at his profile/posts and see what I mean.

As another poster say's life on board a ship is like a village, who has'nt stopped and gone a different way when the village gossip/annoying person has been noticed in time.

If you fancy Seabourne give it a try, after all life is for living and we all have different expectations:)

Restaurant Dinner Menu

First Course:

Smoked Salmon & Malossol Caviar, brunoise celery and leek salad, corn blini, citrus dressing

Cured & Roasted Lamb Loin, mango coulis, thai chilies, spicy mint oil

Crisp Codfish-Potato Brandade Cake, composed tomatoes

Bouillabaisse Consomme, poached mussels, fish, fennel confit, basil oil

Artichoke Bisque, preserved lemon, potato croutons

Red Leaf Lettuce With Caramelized Pear, goat cheese croutons, toasted walnuts

Slow Roasted Beet & Goat Cheese Gateau, toasted walnuts, sherry shallot dressing

Main Course:

Pan Roasted Halibut, on melted leeks, truffle dressing

Grilled Fresh Maine Lobster, sweetcorn-been succotash and beurre blanc

Grilled Rib Eye Steak, rosemary infused boulangere potatoes, grilled vegetable lasagna, peppercorn sauce

Roast Rack of Lamb Provencale, gratin potatoes, ratatouille, sweet garlic rosemary jus

Vegetarian-Spinach & Corn Fritters, sauteed bok choy, oriental stir fry sauce

Restaurant 2; Theme "Chop House"

Starters

Peppered Buffalo Mozarella, Roasted Portobello, Chutney

Warm Buckwheat Crepe with Corn & Scallop Raggout, Melted Leeks, Eggplant Olive Relish

Soup/Salad

White Onion & Pancetta Potage, Parmesan Croutons

Smoked Chicken, cucumber, Overnight Tomatoes & Frisee, Shallot Vinaigrette

Mains

Beef Cowboy Steak 16oz

Veal Chop 12oz

Single Bone Lamb Chops 10oz

Siddings- Glazed Vegetables, Coated French Fries or Truffled Mashed Potato

Sauces- Garlic Butter, Green Peppercorn, Wild Mushroom Sauce or Bearnaise Sauce

Desserts

milk Chocolate & Coffee Mousse, Hazelnut Brittle

Marinated Berries, Vanilla Ice Cream, Lemon Biscotti

Restaurant Dinner Menu

First Course:

Smoked Salmon & Malossol Caviar, brunoise celery and leek salad, corn blini, citrus dressing

Cured & Roasted Lamb Loin, mango coulis, thai chilies, spicy mint oil

Crisp Codfish-Potato Brandade Cake, composed tomatoes

Bouillabaisse Consomme, poached mussels, fish, fennel confit, basil oil

Artichoke Bisque, preserved lemon, potato croutons

Red Leaf Lettuce With Caramelized Pear, goat cheese croutons, toasted walnuts

Slow Roasted Beet & Goat Cheese Gateau, toasted walnuts, sherry shallot dressing

Main Course:

Pan Roasted Halibut, on melted leeks, truffle dressing

Grilled Fresh Maine Lobster, sweetcorn-been succotash and beurre blanc

Grilled Rib Eye Steak, rosemary infused boulangere potatoes, grilled vegetable lasagna, peppercorn sauce

Roast Rack of Lamb Provencale, gratin potatoes, ratatouille, sweet garlic rosemary jus

Vegetarian-Spinach & Corn Fritters, sauteed bok choy, oriental stir fry sauce

Restaurant 2; Theme "Chop House"

Starters

Peppered Buffalo Mozarella, Roasted Portobello, Chutney

Warm Buckwheat Crepe with Corn & Scallop Raggout, Melted Leeks, Eggplant Olive Relish

Soup/Salad

White Onion & Pancetta Potage, Parmesan Croutons

Smoked Chicken, cucumber, Overnight Tomatoes & Frisee, Shallot Vinaigrette

Mains

Beef Cowboy Steak 16oz

Veal Chop 12oz

Single Bone Lamb Chops 10oz

Siddings- Glazed Vegetables, Coated French Fries or Truffled Mashed Potato

Sauces- Garlic Butter, Green Peppercorn, Wild Mushroom Sauce or Bearnaise Sauce

Desserts

milk Chocolate & Coffee Mousse, Hazelnut Brittle

Marinated Berries, Vanilla Ice Cream, Lemon Biscotti

Whaaaat! No Nigerian shrimp???? LOL! Guess you've packed em all up ready to FedEx! LOL! And no Grandma cake either - ee by gum as they say in Yorkshire you're having a tough day!

It's just started to rain here now as well and it's very cold brrrrrrr.

Just remind me please how many more days do we have to enjoy your tales? I don't know what I'm going to do - red headed nancy is going t have to sharpen her pencil! LOL! ;)

Whaaaat! No Nigerian shrimp???? LOL! Guess you've packed em all up ready to FedEx! LOL! And no Grandma cake either - ee by gum as they say in Yorkshire you're having a tough day!

It's just started to rain here now as well and it's very cold brrrrrrr.

Just remind me please how many more days do we have to enjoy your tales? I don't know what I'm going to do - red headed nancy is going t have to sharpen her pencil! LOL! ;)

I know what a depressing day today...rain first, then no GrandMa cake ...what next?..LOL

And to add insult to injury the Sky Grill is closed tonight just when I had a craving for those Nigerian Shrimp!:D

BTW, looking outside my Suite window it's darker outside than a black cat...although a lot of sea traffic with a lot of small fishing boats....must be a logistical nightmare for Captain Pedder tonight avoiding all these floating landmines out there...also our speed has increased to 15.2 knots almost at full speed.

fairbourne you only have 3 more days of me onboard the Legend, unless that is, Miss Martha has been extremely successfull in the hat collection for funds?:p

...as I would say and have said for 42 days....stay tuned!:D

fairbourne

What are we gonna do when Seabourntraveler disembarks???

I'm getting up when all of my "roosters start crowing" to read of the latest narrative, witty, legendary, and historic account of "voices sounding memories/sagas from the beautiful Legend Castle!" (it's almost science fiction :eek:)

I'll be more than happy to send you a weekly e-mail as to " the charmed life on the Lone Prairie ~" believe-it-or-not, lots of goin's on, here in the West Texas sticks! Carumba!

And we always have Grandma's Pound Cake ~(not too many Nigerian shrimp though)

Martita B.

fairbourne

What are we gonna do when Seabourntraveler disembarks???

I'm getting up when all of my "roosters start crowing" to read of the latest narrative, witty, legendary, and historic account of "voices sounding memories/sagas from the beautiful Legend Castle!" (it's almost science fiction :eek:)

I'll be more than happy to send you a weekly e-mail as to " the charmed life on the Lone Prairie ~" believe-it-or-not, lots of goin's on, here in the West Texas sticks! Carumba!

And we always have Grandma's Pound Cake ~(not too many Nigerian shrimp though)

Martita B.

Oh Miss M only 3 more days! Booo hoooo. ;) I know you get up very early if I've worked out the time difference correctly!

Markham is on board the Quest and with RHN I'm sure we'll continue to get lots of stories and news, BUT I have to say they'll have to go some to live up to the Saga written as you say expertly and informatively and yes legendary (apt!;)) on the Legend these past few weeks! LOL! And we have come to rely on Seabourntraveller to keep us "entertained",

I'd love some news from the Land of West Texas, we occasionally get over (the DH works for a company HQ in Houston so I sometimes go with him when he HAS to go!), and we have friends in Katy, Texas.

Hi Dan, we could have a new thread called Miss Martita's Salty Seabourn Tales!:D

Seabourntraveller - when is your next SB sailing? Hope it's soon! Mind you you'll be glad of a rest from all the shananigans!;)

Oh Miss M only 3 more days! Booo hoooo. ;) I know you get up very early if I've worked out the time difference correctly!

Markham is on board the Quest and with RHN I'm sure we'll continue to get lots of stories and news, BUT I have to say they'll have to go some to live up to the Saga written as you say expertly and informatively and yes legendary (apt!;)) on the Legend these past few weeks! LOL! And we have come to rely on Seabourntraveller to keep us "entertained",

I'd love some news from the Land of West Texas, we occasionally get over (the DH works for a company HQ in Houston so I sometimes go with him when he HAS to go!), and we have friends in Katy, Texas.

Hi Dan, we could have a new thread called Miss Martita's Salty Seabourn Tales!:D

Seabourntraveller - when is your next SB sailing? Hope it's soon! Mind you you'll be glad of a rest from all the shananigans!;)

fairbourne...if all goes well we are booking the Quest on the last World Cruise Segment V from Dubai to Venice from Apr 2 to Apr 23rd inclusive.

Seabourntraveler

YES, YOU!!!:D Best ever 10 *travel log ~

Dan, could you arrange the Grand Prize, for over 100,200 views,

a FREE 7 day Seabourn cruise? We'd all appreciate it so much....

Martita B

I wish I could! :D

Host Dan

Congrats on your amazing blog... We were on the Athens to Mumbai portion of the cruise. Has taken awhile to readjust being home. Can't imagine staying on any longer than 32 days on the ship....we now know that we aren't World Cruise candidates. We loved every moment. (The first half having a wonderful mix of people; the second half is what has been presented, with a few corrections). The "degenerate" young men were not Americans, nor were their parents and hanger-ons. They were Dutch. Know this for a fact because they were not only rude to crew, but threatening to passengers. Security became involved and believe they were confined to the their cabin on the last day of the cruise. As for grandpa, my husband had an interesting conversation with his wife. Apparently he had suffered brain damage from a very serious fall and had a miraculous recovery. Would imagine his behavior was effected by his injury. Appearing nude in his bathrobe is probably the least of his worries.. I'd be howling at the moon with joy that I was still able to function. Sorry about the kids running around....that would drive me crazy.

Really think that the period from just before Christmas to just after New Years is probably not the best time to take a cruise....there are a lot of dysfunctional people in the world that can show up on a cruise ship during the holiday season. Think that Seabourn just got more than their fair share this time around. Was a lovely cruise and the staff fantastic. Loved the captain, he is a great addition to Seabourn. Jan, our CD, was the best we have had on a cruise. We had previously been on the Pride....the Legend is now our favorite simply because of the wonderful crew!

Have a safe journey home. Will await your next blog.

Congrats on your amazing blog... We were on the Athens to Mumbai portion of the cruise. Has taken awhile to readjust being home. Can't imagine staying on any longer than 32 days on the ship....we now know that we aren't World Cruise candidates. We loved every moment. (The first half having a wonderful mix of people; the second half is what has been presented, with a few corrections). The "degenerate" young men were not Americans, nor were their parents and hanger-ons. They were Dutch. Know this for a fact because they were not only rude to crew, but threatening to passengers. Security became involved and believe they were confined to the their cabin on the last day of the cruise. As for grandpa, my husband had an interesting conversation with his wife. Apparently he had suffered brain damage from a very serious fall and had a miraculous recovery. Would imagine his behavior was effected by his injury. Appearing nude in his bathrobe is probably the least of his worries.. I'd be howling at the moon with joy that I was still able to function. Sorry about the kids running around....that would drive me crazy.

Really think that the period from just before Christmas to just after New Years is probably not the best time to take a cruise....there are a lot of dysfunctional people in the world that can show up on a cruise ship during the holiday season. Think that Seabourn just got more than their fair share this time around. Was a lovely cruise and the staff fantastic. Loved the captain, he is a great addition to Seabourn. Jan, our CD, was the best we have had on a cruise. We had previously been on the Pride....the Legend is now our favorite simply because of the wonderful crew!

Have a safe journey home. Will await your next blog.

Thanks for the correction on the "Dutch smoking degenerates". I had heard that they got confined to thier Suite on the last day due to all the mayhem they caused onboard but couldn't confirm it so I didn't report it...apparently the Parent's of the one "heaten" (which was there son, the other was an invited friend to tag along) were a a "piece of work" as well. If we are talking about half naked GrandPa with the door always open in 305, it was more the kids in 306 and the parents in 304 that drve us nuts. Half naked Grandpa with his door always open in his bathrobe in #305 we became accustomed to seeing with the door open daily...guess he needed his fresh air....he would of died on this cruise with our resident pot smoking Jimmy Hendrix on the same floor only a couple of Suites away.

I have to agree with you the portion from Athens to Dubai from Dec 2nd to Dec 20th was an amazing mix of people and it probably helped that the ship only had 118 guests onboard. Once we hit Dubai really that's when all hell broke loose onboard the Legend!:D

I have to agree with you the crew onboard the Legend is AMAZING and it feels like a Family.

Day 43: Georgetown, Malaysia (Penang) 10:00am-7:30pm

Good morning from the sleepy Legend as we make our way towards Penang, Malaysia this morning. I had the Midnight Sun Lounge all to myself this morning for the Early Risers Coffee. We just took onboard our pilot at 7:15am this morning (minutes ago I saw him come on from our Suite window). We had another 1 hour forward again last night before going to bed. It's still dark here this morning and think the sunrise is scheduled at 7:49am...pitch black!

Looks overcast again today but hopefully no rain. The ship is running a continuous Shuttle Bus to the Prangin Mall in Georgetown from 10:30am until 6:00pm every half hour on the hour. Will be going to the Veranda Cafe when they open at 8:00am to beat the crowds for breakfast or at least attempt.

We plan on taking the shuttle bus in later this morning as we have been to Penang many a times and did not book a ship's tour. Might even go to a place that we know of near the Mall for some great reflexology massage.

FYI, we have lost CNN and other channels as of late yesterday...looks like it' back to the FOX Channel again!:(

More to come later today from the Legend soon to arrive in Penang, Malaysia in a couple of hours.

SeabournTrav:

Welll..... let's play a game of "cruise crazies poker" shall we?

I'll see your half-naked-grampa-pot-smoker-juvenile-delinquents and raise you with a 65-year-old-drunken-idiot who stripped down to his skivvies and swan dived from the promenade railing of the Celebrity Solstice into the Caribbean Sea at 1:10 in the am. :eek: :eek: (The ship stopped, rescues were deployed, and he was found alive, thank goodness). According to witnesses, he was trying to prove his love to his lady. :eek: The captain's noon address the next day was filled with praise for his crew's rescue at sea. The couple were escorted to waiting police when we docked in Roatan two days later.

Stupidity knows NO demographics. :o

Further Update; Penang, Malaysia (Georgetown):

We arrive and were tied up alongside our berth earlier than scheduled today at 9:20am. We had the assistance of a tug to push in the narrow pier area alongside with two other cruiseships here today in Penang.

Lunch in the Veranda Cafe was the themed "Fruenschoppen Lunch" which was excellent. They had an amazing pasta dish today in a creamy alfredo sauce with mushrooms and parma ham. No Sacher Torte today for dessert but technically Sacher Torte is Austrian but then again so was the Streusel they had in the dessert buffet...go figure!

The weather hasn't really cleared up at all here today and we have some strong winds as well...a nice 76F right now or 24C which is refreshingly different as it's been Hot Hot Hot almost everyday since we left Athens, Greece.

Will be taking the shuttle bus shortly ashore to the Mall nearby to try and score some deals on electronics as currently Malaysia is the cheapest place in Asia to buy electronics.

More to follow later today (in the hopes that they put out some GrandMa Cake at Afternoon Tea) from the Legend in Penang, Malaysia.

SeabournTrav:

Welll..... let's play a game of "cruise crazies poker" shall we?

I'll see your half-naked-grampa-pot-smoker-juvenile-delinquents and raise you with a 65-year-old-drunken-idiot who stripped down to his skivvies and swan dived from the promenade railing of the Celebrity Solstice into the Caribbean Sea at 1:10 in the am. :eek: :eek: (The ship stopped, rescues were deployed, and he was found alive, thank goodness). According to witnesses, he was trying to prove his love to his lady. :eek: The captain's noon address the next day was filled with praise for his crew's rescue at sea. The couple were escorted to waiting police when we docked in Roatan two days later.

Stupidity knows NO demographics. :o

Just remember I still have 2 days left here onboatrd to raise and call your 65 year old druken idiot with something better...stay tuned!:D LOL

Just remember I still have 2 days left here onboatrd to raise and call your 65 year old druken idiot with something better...stay tuned!:D LOL
We will miss your posts. This has been the most fun since we only have to read it, not live with it! Maybe there will be more? Second chapter? But then again, I can't imagine another trip like this one and I do wish you the usual wonderfully "boring" Seabourn cruise.. Definitely will not do a Christmas cruise, but still want to see India!! It's on our bucket list.

We will miss your posts. This has been the most fun since we only have to read it, not live with it! Maybe there will be more? Second chapter? But then again, I can't imagine another trip like this one and I do wish you the usual wonderfully "boring" Seabourn cruise.. Definitely will not do a Christmas cruise, but still want to see India!! It's on our bucket list.

RHN: I guess we are suckers for pain...while on the Legend we booked ourselves later this year on the Odyssey Dec 11, 2012 to Jan 20, 2013 for 40 days from Singapore to Auckland over Xmas and New Years and thinking of adding the segment beforehand on Nov 26th from Dubai-Singapore making it a whooper 55 days on board the Odyssey...can you just imagine what I'll be able to report on that Live from?..LOL:D

Further Afternoon Update, Georgetown, Malaysia (Penang):

Just came back onboard from the 7 block ride into Georgetown. The Shuttle Bus drops you off directly in front of Prangin Mall a huge shopping complex worth while going to explore with a hundred shos/stores. Mayalsia right now offers the most competitive pricing for electronics, games, computers/laptops and Ipods/Ipads.

Once we arrived back on ship I quickly ran up to the Midnight Sun Lounge to see if I could score some GrandMa Cake...sure enough someone was listen and there it was alongside with strawberry tartlets and Tiramisu as well. Snuck two pieces of GrandMa cakes discreatly on my plate and slittered down the stairwell to Deck 6 to my cabin...just waiting for what will be one of my last Filet Mignon Cheeseburgers to arrive from Room Service and I am all set!

We sail in 2 hours time from Penang, Malaysia to Singapore whereby we have 409 nautical miles before we reached Singapore at 7:00am on Sunday Jan 15th. We have one last Sea Day tomorrow onboard the Legend with the infamous Market Galley Lunch.

Some activities onboard the Legend this afternoon:

2:00pm Social Bridge Play in the Card Room

3:00pm Boards Games in the Midnight Sun Lounge

4:00pm Afternoon Tea in the Midnight Sun Lounge

6:00pm Sabbath Service in the Card Room

More to follow later today from the Legend here in Georgetown, Malaysia (Penang).

Seabourntraveler

I wanted to share a well kept secret with you ~have you purchased and used "Elemis Instant Refreshing Gel?" (Seabourn ships Salon/Spa) This is a magical cure for everything ~I was introduced to the Gel years ago when my wrists/ankles were swelling from the sea's saltly air ~Cookie, in the Pride Spa, explained it would solve my problem. It did! It's excellent for headaches, sore muscles, sinus problems, etc. etc. All natural ~ ex.: for headaches, simply dab and rub a small amount on the forehead, at both temples and at the back of the neck ~Voila :D You feel like "brand new!"

I always have a tube at sea and at home ~I've given tubes of the Gel to family and friends ailing from ~cancer to vericose veins ~everything in-between! It's a miracle remedy and natural therapy.

You may want to purchase a tube before you disembark ~boo hoo!

All is well here ~"down home at the ranch" ~'deer and antelope playing..... have not heard a discouraging word today!" (probably tomorrow) It rained, sleeted and snowed last weekend ~say "Yee Haw" ~ranchers/farmers have desperately needed moisture, in Texas. All of us are very thankful :D Hopefully we'll soon be seeing signs of 'lit green grass sprigs.....then in the Spring, bluebonnets!

Have a continued wonderful, exciting day on YOUR Legend Castle Yacht!

Martita B

Archived