Travel water filters for drinking water

casey boy

Does anyone know of a water filter that removes chlorine and floride that I could use while on the cruise for my drinking water? I could take a brita, but it only filters out the chlorine. Thanks

I do not think the ship's add fluoride to the water

It should be fine...we have never had a problem with the ship's water

If you are thinking of filling up onshore check out Katadyn MyBottle

If you have an REI (or other camping/outdoors specialty store) in your area, you might check with them for portable filters. The ships "make" their own water (reverse osmosis, I think) -- so, you might contact your cruiseline to see if someone can tell you whether or not they add Chlorine or Flouride back in to the finished product. I only know that I've never noticed a "swimming-pool" smell to anything coming out of the tap on an RC or X ship. :cool:

For tap water in the USA I use Camelbak Groove. It has a carbon filter that removes most of the off taste in tap water. On the cruise ships I don't notice any off tastes in their water so I only use a regular water bottle on board.

Shak

From what I have read, there is no portable water filter that will remove Chlorine and Fluoride from water. Supposedly, a reverse osmosis filter will do so, but they are very expensive and not portable.

On the ship, most of the potable water comes from distillation/deionization, so it probably purer than the water in your house. (deionization removes most ionized particles from the water like CL and FL)

So, in reality, taking a filter on a cruise ship, would just be filtering previously filtered water.

The Brita does not "filter" out chloride .. these are ions dissolved in the water, not solids, so there is nothing to filter. It does slightly reduce the concentration of chloride and also of fluoride. However, there is going to be so little of the latter to begin with, that it hardly matters.

Fill a bottle with water from the washbasin; leave it in the fridge for a few hours and any chlorine taste should disappear (so says my local water board). Ship water is good, but obviously cannot run cold, so you'll have great, cold water in a bottle waiting for you.;)

Jo.

Archived