I guess we can't cruise Alaska with Carnival...

aidansaunt2004

I've been looking into an Alaskan cruise for at least 6 months. In September we were on the dream and we fell in love with the cloud 9 spa. We enjoyed the thalasso pool and the steam rooms. The only Carnival ship that is going to Alaska in 2012 is the Spirit and it isn't getting any of the 2.0 upgrades and it doesn't have the updated spa. It's heartbreaking because we really enjoy Carnival and we've only cruised with Carnival. I've looked at HAL and Princess and we had narrowed it down to some of their ships until I realized the best Princess ships (the Coral & Island) don't port in Seattle which will double our airfare, making it out of the question. I'm really at a loss and I don't know what to do. Celebrity seems a little too "stuffy" for us because we're laid back and I've heard HAL's entertainment is lacking. NCL and RCCL aren't even in the equation. If you have ANY advice, please let me know. I've heard that some people use a train between BC and Seattle but that won't work with Anchorage. :(

We went on a Princess cruisetour in Sept. and we loved the Coral Princess. We toured Anchorage and the Denali area, and then took a fun train ride to our cruise ship at Whittier. Then we cruised a week through glalciers, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, and ended in Vancouver. It was a wonderful way to see Alaska. I highly recommend a cruisetour if you have the time and money for it. We loved Alaska!

I understand what you mean about the spa . My husband and I sailed on the Dream last Mar. and we also fell in love with the spa and the thallaso pool and everything else . We also are going to Alaska the end of May 2012. What we decided is that we will be spending most of our time on deck looking at the beautiful sceanery and out on excursions, so on this trip the spa is not as important to us. When we sail the Caribbean that's a different story. We want so much to see Alaska and Carnival is really the most economical way to do that, plus we really love Carnival, so we're willing to give up the spa for this trip. Good luck making your decision. I can't wait to see Alaska!

HAL has the same Cloud 9 amenities as the Dream and Splendor. I know, I've travel them. We took the Westerdam out of Seattle this last May and I can tell you it was far, far better than any Carnival cruise we have ever taken. The T-pool is better, the steam rooms, the heated loungers, the showers....everything!

We booked a guarantee and was upgraded to an aft balcony and just paid the extra fee for the Cloud 9 facilities. And yes, they are such a pleasure when you spend so much time outdoors in the cold air.

As for entertainment, I really don't recall there being much of any difference in the two ships. I have to admit, we were not ones to stay up late because the itineraries were so exciting that we wanted to get up early as to not miss anything.

And don't let the people tell you that HAL has all old people on the ship. Bah! Rubbish! Yes, that may be the case for the long trans-Atlantic and south American and Pacific Island tours but there are plenty young people for the 7-day cruises. Yes, there are some very old people but anyone who loves the Alaskan cruises are young at heart. It's always my favorite cruise.

Don't be afraid to check out HAL and the Westerdam.

Just curious why RCI and NCL are out of the question. If you like CCL's "laid back" atmosphere, these two cruise lines may be a more logical choice than HAL, X or Princess.

BTW, Carnival may be a leader in the Caribbean, but in Alaska their product is somewhat mediocre. Princess and HAL have been the leaders in Alaska for many years. You may want to focus your search on these two cruise lines. Golden Princess out of Seattle received extensive upgrades last year. Also, look for itineraries which include GLACIER BAY.

Princess does a wonderful job of highlighting Alaska- their naturalists were way way better than what we had on Carnival. There were things I didn't like about the Diamond, but for the Alaska experience it was great.

I am surprised at the airfares- might they come down? We flew into Anchorage and out of Vancouver and the airfares weren't nearly that bad.

We've been on Alaska cruises twice, once on X and once on Princess. Loved them both and would do either again in a heartbeat. I'm certain that you will enjoy the cruise no matter which line you select. Alaska is beautiful beyond discription.

We love Carnival, but also had a great cruise to Alaska on NCL's Pearl, round trip out of Seattle. I'm hoping they will either bring another Spirit class ship to the west coast once the "Spirit" heads to Australia because that is my favorite class. I am curious about the Dream in comparison to the Splendor though. I'm wondering if there are certain times the cruise lines make announcements about new sailings or is it just whenever? I have a FCC burning a hole in my pocket!!:eek:

The reason I didn't consider RCCL is because of the Puerto Rico event that happened a few months ago. They left their passengers behind without any warning and didn't offer to make it right or even refund the cruise. Carnival handled the situation professionally and I thought RCCL could have handled it better..

And Im sure you read the follow up, not just the beginning where RCL made it right ??

Seems a little over the top. Carnival hasnt always handled things perfectly either, like my cruise on Conquest when Ike hit, and I was on the ship.. you just read the beginning and now will never consider RCL.

RCL owns Celebrity you know?? same same

I just came back last weekend from oasis and can tell you it was a great cruise. It does sound like you just read the beginning and not the end of the episode and made snap judgements.

Yes, RCI received a lot of bad press for the way the handled the San Juan issue, but don't let one case steer you away from an otherwise great cruise line. Carnival has had its share of bad decisions and mishandlings as well over the years, some that have angered thousands.

About NCL, yes they have many dining options for an extra charge, but look at the big picture. Even if you never set foot on one of these, you still have as many (if not MORE) FREE dining options than Carnival. Believe me, having extra options makes a world of a difference, specially when sailing on a 7 night itinerary, even if you stick only to the free ones.

the Spirit and it isn't getting any of the 2.0 upgrades and it doesn't have the updated spa. It's heartbreaking because we really enjoy Carnival and we've only cruised with Carnival. I'm really at a loss and I don't know what to do. :(

If you really love Carnival, then sail with Carnival. If you really love Carnival, then it isn't going to matter that it's not going to have the 2.0 upgrades when you go to Alaska, it's still going to be Carnival. HAL and RCCL and Celebrity aren't going to have the Carnival 2.0 upgrades, either.

I've been on five cruises now--all on Carnival, all have been completely different from each other. What restaurants the ship has isn't enough to break the vacation nor is the fact that whether or not they've upgraded the spa or any of the other "little" things.

Princess offers a transfer from Vancouver to Seattle which cut our air fare costs tremendously. We went with Princess since their cruises include glacier bay which for us was a must.

I too have been looking at Alaskan Cruises, I have narrowed it down to Carnival or Princess. Carnival does go to Glacier Bay in Sept. and maybe May.

I am just going to add the Spirit is one of favorite ships for carnival...they have a retractable pool area which will be neat up there and regular nice hot tubs..the naturalists will not be as good but if you really like them, Carnival..price and all fits, I do not think it is a negative to get to try that size and layout of ship..before she goes away always bigger and bigger is not the best..being in a hotub outside..will be preferable for Alaska i would think or maybe seeing the mountains through the windows on the enclosed pool...Vast vast mountain and sea scenery, well have not been there yet but have been to San Juan's so get it.....but shall we say vast mountain scenery away from civilization..will make you soar and you may be closer to it not in the big thalosotherapy pool..but a little hot tub..when others are busy with so much else...bon voyage..Sarah

HAL has the same Cloud 9 amenities as the Dream and Splendor. I know, I've travel them. We took the Westerdam out of Seattle this last May and I can tell you it was far, far better than any Carnival cruise we have ever taken. The T-pool is better, the steam rooms, the heated loungers, the showers....everything!

We booked a guarantee and was upgraded to an aft balcony and just paid the extra fee for the Cloud 9 facilities. And yes, they are such a pleasure when you spend so much time outdoors in the cold air.

As for entertainment, I really don't recall there being much of any difference in the two ships. I have to admit, we were not ones to stay up late because the itineraries were so exciting that we wanted to get up early as to not miss anything.

And don't let the people tell you that HAL has all old people on the ship. Bah! Rubbish! Yes, that may be the case for the long trans-Atlantic and south American and Pacific Island tours but there are plenty young people for the 7-day cruises. Yes, there are some very old people but anyone who loves the Alaskan cruises are young at heart. It's always my favorite cruise.

Don't be afraid to check out HAL and the Westerdam.

I second this! We also took the Westerdam cruise to Alaska some years ago, and had a fabulous trip. I'm not into spa stuff, but I can assure you the entertainment was great & the food and service were the best we've had on a cruise. There were definitely a lot of younger people on board, the karaoke was jam-packed every night, the comedienne they had that week was hilarious....I'd go again in a heartbeat! My DH & I were late-40's, early 50's, but my DD (late 20's) and her friend came too, and had a great time!

Not to hijack your thread, but if you equate the for fee sushi on NCL to the free stuff on CCL, your out of your mind. They aren't anything similar to eachother. I eat both. The sushi on CCL is like decent sushi you find in a mall. Sushi on NCL is customer ordered and made in front of you, a vast selection to choose from, fresh raw fish, and all you can eat. It's sushi you would find in a higher end sushi restaurant in a major city.

To compare the two is like comparing a steak sandwich at Arby's to a porterhouse and Ruth's Chris:rolleyes:

Not sure if you've actually sailed on NCL, but if you like CCL you will probably like NCL. We like them both.

I agree...and I also wonder why people will voice 'concern' over NCL having 16 restaurant options but a good portion of them charging a fee, when they have MORE free options than CCL so you never have to pay for food if you choose not to.

:confused:

Baffles the hell out of me.

If I were going to Alaska, the first line that would draw my attention would be Princess.

We had to eliminate quite a few ships because they don't port in Seattle at the beginning or end of the cruise. Seattle seems to be our less costly option to fly into. Currently it is about $700 for coach for the two of us.

The reason we liked the spa amenities is due to the fact that it was so easy to relax. We decided to invite another couple with us on vacation the last time (we will NEVER do that again!) and when we needed a break we could go into the steam rooms or the thalasso pool and it was basically always empty so it was a pretty nice experience. We had an inside spa room and this time we'll probably have an inside as well so we can save money for excursions etc.

I understand other cruise lines aren't going to have the 2.0 upgrades. It's Carnival's newest thing and if we're cruising Carnival it would be neat to try. I don't require the 2.0 upgrades as I realize it's going to take time to install those options on the ship.

As far as the food comparison of NCL & Carnival, I was simply trying to make a point. The sushi on Carnival is free and so is the pizza. On NCL you have to pay for both. On the Dream for instance, there is a burrito bar, a pasta bar, the buffet, a deli, the grill, the bbq on the lanai etc to choose from during the day, which are all free of charge. On the NCL ship you literally have the buffet and main dining rooms that are free of charge. If a couple was to eat at any of the for a fee places on NCL once a day for 7 days you're looking at an additional $35-$350 just for one meal a day. I can see having one or even two for fee restaurants but I think 10 is overkill. NCL also charges for entertainment on some ships such as the Epic. It just seems like NCL has come up with ways of getting extra money even though their prices are already higher than some of it's competitors.

We were considering the Princess Island but it ports out of Anchorage and Vancouver. The flight would cost us $1500+ for coach. Unless it drops drastically over the next 2 months, it won't be an option.

The HAL Westerdam looks like it might be our option. I looked through some menus last night and they seem to have a pretty good variety of things offered. They have the upgraded spa as well. The only thing I'm concerned about is the entertainment. I've read that the entertainment isn't "Vegas or Broadway" style from some people but then others say it is.

Our main purpose for going on a cruise is to relax and sightsee. The amenities and things offered of course help. We aren't concerned about there being a ton of food because on our last cruise most days we would eat two meals at best. The point I was trying to make is that if something is available you will be tempted to try it and that can add up pretty quickly.

The RCCL event from a few months ago really put me off. In order for the majority of people to go on a cruise they have to take time off work, make arrangements for pets and children, book hotels, flights etc. For a large company to not take any of that into consideration, to me, is wrong on various levels. Carnival went above and beyond their duty. They flew in people who didn't have travel insurance etc. to meet the ship. I think that's exceptional customer service and they deserve praise for doing so. I know someone mentioned some not so great decisions years ago by Carnival and I'm honestly not aware of them. Maybe if I would have had a bad experience with Carnival I would feel differently, but I've had nothing but pleasant experiences.

Archived